2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pete's Wicked Ale - Pete's Brewing Company

Pete's Wicked AlePete's Wicked Ale

good

Pete's Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2001)
View: Beers (0) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pete's Wicked Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 502 | Reviews: 370 | Show All Ratings:
ZenAgnostic

1.33/5  rDev -59.7%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass. Neck stamped 05191 1610.

Appearance - Clear medium brown body. Pours one finger offwhite head with decent retention and decent to low stick.

Smell - Awful. Pungent. Smells like dirt/dust and port-a-potty. Possibly the worst smelling beer I've had so far in my 350+ beers rating career.

Taste - Very dusty and musky. Very stale and somewhat metallic. Some hidden corn and noticeable alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Stale and astringent. Body offers decent effervescence. Otherwise light bodied.

Overall Drinkability - One of the worst beers I've had in a while due to the ovebearing off-characters listed above.

11-06-2011 03:58:29 | More by ZenAgnostic
waughbrew

1.48/5  rDev -55.2%

Just had this on tap and wow was it not good. Looked ok, being brownish with a small head with no retention. Smell is of sweet caramel malt, with some hops trying to push their way through. Taste is cloyingly sweet and has a bunch of acetaldehyde. Apple juice anyone? Feel is slick, drinkability is not good. I had trouble finishing one of these.

01-06-2004 04:01:19 | More by waughbrew
beerluvr

Ontario (Canada)

1.7/5  rDev -48.5%

What happened Pete?? This was once a distinctive brown/nut brown ale, but since being bought out, this beer has fallen quite a few notches. To my tastebuds this is just a mere shadow of it's former self. I forget where I read it, but someone said the whole portfolio seems to have been "tweaked", with dissappointing results.

12-03-2001 20:25:07 | More by beerluvr
warmstorage

1.75/5  rDev -47%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

12 ounce bottle, pours a deep reddish brown, clear. Medium dense light beige head dissipates rapidly. Leaves no lacing.

Aroma: very little. Burnt sugar / sweetness.

Taste: very little. Sugar, sweet malt, minimal hop bitterness. Thin and uninteresting. Very slight smoke on the finish?

Mouth: slightly tingly carbonation.

Overall, a deeply boring beer. I think this has always been a bland, uninteresting beer, but it seems that mass marketing has homogenized it even further. It's about as good as Michelob Amber Bock, or AB's fake attempts at the micro market.

About the best thing I can say for this beer is that the website has good brewing information. (It lists the beer as 5.3% ABV.) Of course, it also includes calorie content and carbohydrate information, which indicates one market they are going after: uhhh, Michelob Ultra, anyone?

Bleh: drain poured 90% of it, even with yardwork to be done.

03-15-2007 18:47:15 | More by warmstorage
chOAKbarrell

Maryland

1.83/5  rDev -44.5%

There's something not right with this beer.

It looks & smells like your average brown ale, but...

Pete's Wicked Ale is very noticably sweet. I love sweet alcoholic drinks, and this just does not taste good, or even correct.

Its not sweet-ish like a hefeweizen, its just syrupy-sweet. Very ill.

The sicky sweet syrup taste is even present in the mouthfeel.

Not a beer with drinkability. I cracked one open in the car last night, and had to toss it out the window, half full, because I was so appalled.

06-15-2005 15:51:17 | More by chOAKbarrell
MrSeth

1.95/5  rDev -40.9%

Ap: Light light beige colored head on top of a nutty brown body. Lots of lace and swirls.

Sm: Very nice, fruity with vegetal (artichoke, boiled spinach) notes mixed in. Also there is an effect like English breakfast tea in the nose.

Ta: The tea element continues in the taste.. is this ale or fizzy iced tea? No, wait.. beneath all that is something like an amber ale flavor. The nose had promise but now I feel let down. What is this that I’m drinking?

Mf: Adequate carbonation, nothing special. The tea comparison is again unavoidable as the intensely dry puckering finish and aftertaste remind me of a can of Arizona.

Da: Not. I seriously doubt that I will ever try this one again.. Maybe.

03-23-2006 21:59:41 | More by MrSeth
vdread

Pete's Wicked Ale pours a dark amber/red with a fizzy little head.

aroma is slightly sweet, with some caramel.

taste is just rank. super-grainy, slick on the palate, watery mess. watery caramel malt, a slight bitterness imparted from both hops and sour grain.

mouthfeel light, slick, nearly no carbonation.

would not and will not be trying again.

09-12-2010 00:32:05 | More by vdread
quasimoto

2.05/5  rDev -37.9%

This poured a copper/red color with no head due to the pepsi like carbination. The aroma is of very little sweet malt, witha background of hops. not much to it. The taste...the taste is of rubber bands, oranges and paper. Not pleasing at all. Mouthfeel of large bubbles and a high carbination. There is also a bitey feeling but not a hops kinda bitey but more a tannin bitey. Overall I'm not going out looking for this one again.

08-26-2005 16:02:43 | More by quasimoto
nige4958

2.05/5  rDev -37.9%

Absolute crap, and a mere shadow of its former self. This beer used to be in the form of a texas brown ale. It now tastes like Michelob dark. Original was a big brown ale, dry hopped and gorgeous. Now a run of the mill, shit beer brewed in Texas. Avoid at all costs.

07-04-2008 17:13:39 | More by nige4958
Guardian

2.1/5  rDev -36.4%

This beer is bitter. I tried it for the first time today and I was not impressed. The taste was very bland and nothing notable about it. I was hoping for a caramel taste or some fruit flavor, but almost none spring out.

If you are looking for an easydrinking pleasant tasting beer, this is not for you.

If you are looking for a beer that will give you a good buzz, this is only adequate.

I drank one of these out of a sampler pack, and I'm sorry to say that I will not buy another one.

07-13-2003 17:21:21 | More by Guardian
GarthDanielson

2.15/5  rDev -34.8%

I used to drink this back in the day when I was first introduced to beer. Recently heard they were phasing it out, so I snagged some for nostalgia sake. Here's how it seemed to me now.

Poured from a bottle, the beer is a clear ruby-brown color, with no head. Smells of slightly sour malt and toasted bread (or toast, I guess). The beer tastes sweet, with notes of raspberry and cherry, combined with a sharp roast flavor that is not overly pleasant. The beer is over-crisp, to the point of being sharp, in mouth. Very light and overcarbonated. The aftertaste is a bit clumsy, and leaves a fruity and slightly sour flavor in mouth. Lingering finish that is more than I care for, this beer also leaves an overcarbonated feeling after you swallow. Kind of a bummer for what I remember being such a classic so long ago.

02-03-2011 01:54:20 | More by GarthDanielson
WVbeergeek

2.25/5  rDev -31.8%

Pours a ruby amber brown with a tan toffee toned two fingered generous head. Leaves a semi even trickled lace around my pint glass. The aroma has a sharp fruity tone that is sweet at first with little or no hop aroma. Seems like a mass produced run of the mill ale that at one time could have been worthy, but the flavor now is unbalanced between the predominantly sweet tones mixed with the harsh bread like flavors and basically no defineable hop bitterness. The light to medium bodied beer is lacking in body a bit thin and uncomplex definitely artificially carbonated in this one. I could drink a couple of these mediocre excuse for a "micro", but why with all of the other great beers out there today I choose to keep this a beer of the past.

06-28-2003 01:55:01 | More by WVbeergeek
jar2574

Missouri

2.28/5  rDev -30.9%

This beer looks good but smells bad. Nice one-inch head after being poured out of a 12 ounce bottle. Ruby-brown color, as the bottle's language suggests.

The smell is extemely faint, but what smell there is, is not pleasant. Honestly, it smells a little like sweat. And yes, I meant "sweat", not "sweet." Weird. There might be a touch of spices, but it's just too faint.

The beer is malty, musky, dank. Not good. I think it's supposed to be a "nutty" flavor. But this is almost undrinkable. Wonder if I got a bad bottle, or if this beer just sucks. Well too bad, I'm not trying it again because the experience was not good at all.

Mouthfeel is okay, if that's any consolation. The beer's consistency is fine. The smell and taste are unique, but in a bad way.

05-16-2008 02:11:25 | More by jar2574
jcalabre

2.33/5  rDev -29.4%

I originally sampled this on 26 December 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
How the mighty have fallen. I remember years ago when Pete's was considered a top micro. Not any more. Here are my notes,
"opaque brown color. Malty flavor up front w/ a tinge of alcohol in the finish. no aroma"
I found that this better used in making French Onion soup. The maltiness really added some flavor.

08-31-2003 00:07:51 | More by jcalabre
wiseguy142

2.35/5  rDev -28.8%

Had this one at an Italian restaurant with some Penne Vodka. Poured with little to no head. Clear, burnt red color. Very malty like a red ale but with no body at all to back it up. Slightly acrid and cardboard like aftertaste that distracts you from whatever hop flavor is lurking in there. Definitely wasn't a huge fan of this one.

05-29-2008 01:12:01 | More by wiseguy142
Vancer

2.4/5  rDev -27.3%

I surmise by earlier reviews that this must have been a good brew years ago. Not now, wow! A surprisingly plain and bland frosty.

Clear cola pour, quick dying tan head. Almost no aromas. Very weak hints of chocolate and spices detected in the thin and watery mouthfeel. Earthy and hoppy, but not in a good way.

Would be OK as a summer brew, must there are too many better browns available.

01-06-2006 14:20:41 | More by Vancer
Rifrafboy

2.42/5  rDev -26.7%

Finally, I tried a few of the Pete's beers. I was expecting a micro brew, but found a macro. This pours actually pretty good looking, darker than most in color. The nose get grains. Taste is a little malty, but very grainy, mostly corn. A little floral, grassy? Finishes unimpressive. I didn't care for this too much. maybe the other varieties are better.

03-20-2003 15:39:45 | More by Rifrafboy
DarthMalt

2.45/5  rDev -25.8%

TWO WISHES:

1) I wish I knew then, what I know now.
2) I wish I could go back to then, and taste the original Pete's

I distinctly recall a severe dislike for the taste of Pete's Wicked Ale back in the days of my mis-spent youth. I also had a severe dislike for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale back then, as well. Today, I find SNPA a very enjoyable beer--Pete's, I do not!

This is regrettable, since, what I recall as a tongue-wincing hop moster at one time, would probably be in my short list of "go-to" macro-micros now (those that pinch hit for the big beers during a shopping crisis). But, Pete's, from what I've read, has long since lost its title as a respectable micro.

The pour almost fooled me with its rather deep amber hue, and tan, dimpled head, almost as though I could expect some flavor from the beer. That came to a screeching halt at the first whiff, which, along with the taste, exuded that fusel-spoutin', crystal-cheatin', hangover-laden, "Alcohol-Death-by-Anhauser-Busch" smell, that is only surpassed in repulsiveness by.....Anhauser-Busch.

This was a tough one to choke down, and squeeking out any flavor whatsoever came as a tedious chore.

Hops? There aren't any, as far as I can tell. But what do I know, with a case of Lagunitas, Bear Republic, Stone, Marin, and Moylan's bombers sitting in the basement?

R.I.P. Pete!

PS - They would do well to rename this beer, "Pete's Limpid Ale."

03-17-2003 13:02:20 | More by DarthMalt
mcann2pu

Delaware

2.45/5  rDev -25.8%

Appearance: pours into my pint glass a reddish-brown color with about a fingers worth of head, no real lacing remained behind on the glass.

Smell: I'm not getting much of a smell on this one, some mild malt basically.

Taste: light malty taste, some nuttyness in the finish, a slight vinegar taste lingers on too, not the best taste.

Mouthfeel: sort of smooth, but with some bubbles.

Drinkability: fairly drinkable, it's a lighter beer.

07-25-2010 01:00:20 | More by mcann2pu
larshultqvist

Arkansas

2.48/5  rDev -24.8%

This beer has been around for some time but I never before have had the chance to try it. I am sure that when it came to the market 20 years ago it was new and interesting to beerlovers starving for beers with a taste.

But just like some other pioneers, (.e.g Samuel Adams), this beer has not that much to get excited about today with all the wonderful beers pouring out from breweries like Avery brewing, New Belgium Brewing etc.

This is not a beer that I would write home to mum about :-)

09-22-2007 02:03:06 | More by larshultqvist
JMBSH

Colorado

2.48/5  rDev -24.8%

A - Pours about three fingers of head that shrink to almost nothing. Very nice amber color.

S - I get some toffee and toasted malt notes.

T - A slight nutty taste. No bitterness. No lingering taste. It is quick to leave the mouth.

M - Thin and watery. Almost no carbonation is detected.

D - I haven't had this beer in a long time so I bought an assortment pack for a get together. This is not how I remember this beer. Weak in flavor and character. I hope this was an off bottle. If it is this review will be changed. Until then, not recommended.

02-22-2009 02:50:59 | More by JMBSH
cardigan

2.5/5  rDev -24.2%

Pete's flagship brew was actually the 3rd offering I'd tried from this company, after Wanderlust Cream Ale and Strawberry Blonde. And of the three, it's at the bottom of the list.

I really expected something darker, and definitely more flavorful. My favorite brown is probably Lost Coast's Downtown Brown, so I tend to compare others to it. And in that comparison, Wicked comes across as... well, more like brown water. Surprisingly lacking in complexity.

I'll be passing off the rest of the 6-pack onto my friends who don't know any better.

06-06-2005 03:05:26 | More by cardigan
riversider76

2.5/5  rDev -24.2%

Pours dark amber. Not much head,or lacing. Very light malt smell. Mouthfeel is watery,with just a bit of carbanation. Taste is light. Ale flavored water. It's not that this beer is awful,there is just not much to it. I guess I was expecting a lot more.

02-12-2006 02:50:44 | More by riversider76
diablo14

Australia

2.53/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

as i said with the shiner bock, i was expecting a big flavorsome beer from the texans with this one. what i got was a nondescript and pretty boring beer, with no real standout quaities, execpt maybe that it wasnt offensively bad.

looked a little on the red side as compared to the brown ales im used to, and had no discernable head to speak of. the carbonation was sturdy. basic aromas, a little fruity, a little nutty, some malt, and some barely detectable hops. flavor was wishy washy. everything was rather subdued and it just ended up being on the sweet side, and a little bit raspy. surprising really, because there wasnt anything resembling the sort of hops ive come to expect from a US beer. its the big blasts of hops that usually give a beer the raspy edge (or ,dare i say it...adjuncts...). i was stunned that the hops were virtually AWOL, especially coming from the land of hoppy beers. just lacked any grip going over the back palate.

this beer just didnt grab me. this beer was dull as dishwater, and really, unless someone gave me a case, i wouldnt be going for it again. just so many better out there that have far more going for them. a big disappointment.

05-31-2005 11:48:01 | More by diablo14
BeerSox

2.53/5  rDev -23.3%

12oz bottle into mug.

Clear, light brown color that seems a little too transluscent to be a brown ale. A thin off white head quickly settles to a thin cap.

Obvious brown sugar with a little bit of cooked vegetables.

Very watery and tin malts with a bit of caramelized sugar, but not much else. A little bit of lingering huskyness.

Not very impressed with this one. Seemed like they brewed a good English Brown Ale, then mixed it with water.

12-04-2006 00:12:18 | More by BeerSox