Pete's Wicked Ale - Pete's Brewing Company

good

Pete's Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pete's Wicked Ale Alström Bros
3.55/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured nice red brown color, nice head nice not great carmel hop aroma, sweet rich initial carmel malt taste thick texture at first , but seemed to get dry and thin at the end. Everything about this beer says that it is a nice drinking beer not a beer to savor.

grynder33, Oct 12, 2003
2.8/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Medium brown color, small head. Malty aroma. A medium bodied brown ale. Malts are slightly sweet, and its not very hoppy. Smooth taste, but there is not much there. I mean that there is nothing wrong with it, it just not very interesting. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is clean. Aftertaste is overly sweet.

beerguy101, Sep 14, 2003
3.53/5  rDev +7.3%

Not a lot of character with this beer and nothing really stood out about this beer, but it was a very easy beer to drink.Actually it went down pretty fast.It poured a small sized creamy ivory head with fine sized bubbles that mostly diminished.The body was clear and uncarbonated with a reddish-brown hue.The nose was malty, caramel and some hops.It had a sweet, malty and hoppy flavor to it along with a slightly tingly and smooth mouthfeel.It was light bodied with a thin texture.This beer left only a fair amount of lacing on the sides of my glass.

hotstuff, Sep 11, 2003
3.05/5  rDev -7.3%

This brew poured a large head of foamy finely sized mostly lasting off-white bubbles that left behind a fair lacing and a uncarbonated transparent brown colored body. The aroma is mildly malty and the mouthfeel is smooth with a slight tingle to it. The flavor is malty with a hint of roasted caramel in it. A fine average brown ale that is quite quaffable and goes down very easily.

TheDM, Sep 11, 2003
3.6/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

At one time I would chose Pete's quite frequently but there is a lot of new good comprtition today. Over time either my tastes have changed or the quality is inconsistent. Still, it does have a nice aroma and good head with marzen style flavor. The is a good mouth feel but he finish is a little weak. This brew is probably best had to wash down a good pizza rather than a session brew.

DarrellK, Sep 05, 2003
2.33/5  rDev -29.2%

I originally sampled this on 26 December 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
How the mighty have fallen. I remember years ago when Pete's was considered a top micro. Not any more. Here are my notes,
"opaque brown color. Malty flavor up front w/ a tinge of alcohol in the finish. no aroma"
I found that this better used in making French Onion soup. The maltiness really added some flavor.

jcalabre, Aug 31, 2003
3.55/5  rDev +7.9%

Presentation: 12oz. brown bottle with no discernible "bottled on" or "best before" warning; $4.99/6 from Ralph's.

Appearance: Pours a dark copper with a small, fine, off-white head; excellent clarity; light, delicate lacing; not much in the way of head retention.

Aroma: Primarily of sweet, roasted malt.

Taste: Fairly sweet; chocolate notes upfront; light hop bitterness; mild, burnt quality in the finish; woody, earthy hop flavors; faint hints of grain. Light-to-medium bodied.

Notes: I never experienced Pete's in its heyday and, as such, I really couldn't tell you whether this beer has been dumbed down or not. At present, I would say, this is still a decent, respectable brown, albeit -- I imagine -- a bit sweet for some. Quite superior, at the very least, to what passes these days for Newcastle.

Mustard, Aug 26, 2003
3.15/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours to a rich dark copper color in the glass, with a modestly thick white head that left a nice lace behind. The aroma is decent, mostly malty with a slight suggestion of grassy hops. The hop level, however, was somewhat disappointing for an american brown ale. There was some malty sweetness - not really fruity but as if a neutral yeast was used. It had a pleasant mouthfeel with the high carbonation level. Not bad for an occasional brew, but I wouldn't make it my regular.

soilguy, Aug 17, 2003
3.3/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours to a copper-brown color with a thick tan head. The aroma is of light caramel malts, a bit of grain, and a slight hop spiciness. The flavor is of sweet caramel malts, with a slight hop flavor and bitterness. The beer is light in body and easy drinking. Not overly impressive, but it is easy drinking.

BeerBuilder, Aug 08, 2003

Looked light brown in color with a moderate head. Smelled of caramel and earthy hop flavor. Taste was dominated by hops but not too bitter. Slight malt flavor in there but not too much. Finishes very clean and easy. Everything about this beer tells me it's good so I gave it all 4's. Very enjoyable

granger10, Jul 22, 2003
3.4/5  rDev +3.3%

The beer pours a dark amber/brown color with a thin tan head. The aroma is bitter with malty character. There is the smell of roasted barley and caramel malts, maybe even victory malt. The taste is quite bitter with a malty zing to it. It seems quite simple in character, but finishes clean and dry. The mouthfeel is decent; a med body. The drinkability is suspect. I can drink it, but do I really want to? There are many good brown ales out there. This is micro/macro example of an American Brown Ale; high in alpha acids, but it's not the best one I've had. I wish it was less bitter and had more hop flavor an aroma. It's hard to enjoy the maltiness when the bitterness sticks to my tongue.

WesWes, Jul 16, 2003
2.1/5  rDev -36.2%

This beer is bitter. I tried it for the first time today and I was not impressed. The taste was very bland and nothing notable about it. I was hoping for a caramel taste or some fruit flavor, but almost none spring out.

If you are looking for an easydrinking pleasant tasting beer, this is not for you.

If you are looking for a beer that will give you a good buzz, this is only adequate.

I drank one of these out of a sampler pack, and I'm sorry to say that I will not buy another one.

Guardian, Jul 13, 2003
2.25/5  rDev -31.6%

Pours a ruby amber brown with a tan toffee toned two fingered generous head. Leaves a semi even trickled lace around my pint glass. The aroma has a sharp fruity tone that is sweet at first with little or no hop aroma. Seems like a mass produced run of the mill ale that at one time could have been worthy, but the flavor now is unbalanced between the predominantly sweet tones mixed with the harsh bread like flavors and basically no defineable hop bitterness. The light to medium bodied beer is lacking in body a bit thin and uncomplex definitely artificially carbonated in this one. I could drink a couple of these mediocre excuse for a "micro", but why with all of the other great beers out there today I choose to keep this a beer of the past.

WVbeergeek, Jun 28, 2003
3.73/5  rDev +13.4%

Always a fallback for me. Deep copper with foamy off-white head. Fruity aroma with some caramel. Somewhat dry, coarse mouthfeel. Medium-bodied. Dry, but fruity, estery taste, with a somewhat smooth malt finish. Definitely not a gourmet beer, but one you can usually count on. Not sure if there's been much change as there beer has changed hands in ownership, but still pretty good nevertheless.

Admiraldinty, Jun 24, 2003
3.3/5  rDev +0.3%

This beer was a little better than I would have guessed.

It pours a darkish red-brown into the glass with an ivory colored head that sticks for a bit.

Moutfeel is OK, taste is mostly of malt with maybe a bit of a hop finish, especially as the beer warms up. Not a lot of taste at first, but by the bottom of the bottle it became a pretty satisfying beer.

If on sale again I'd be more than happy to drink this again. Good backup beer to know about, perfect for a nice session night.

alittlehazy, Jun 07, 2003
3.43/5  rDev +4.3%

This beer was a spur of the moment purchase. It poured a reddish brown with a thin tan head. I started this with a normal pour, only to get more aggressive for more head. The head that I did get quickly disappeared. The aroma is much like other ales in its class, with nothing standing out. First taste is very mild. It tastes extremely good for a average ale. This light to medium bodied beer is highly drinkable.

Amdahl, May 19, 2003
3.43/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours an average amber with a decent light-brown head. Smell is a mostly average brown ale with a nice malty sweetness.

The taste is exactly what you would expect from the smell with a slight bitter hoppy finish. Mouthfeel is like your typical brown ale with a decent amount of carbonation and a clean finish.

A decent beer, but not one that will really stand out. It has a good taste, is easy to drink, and can probably be appreciated by all beer drinkers.

kwill, May 08, 2003
3.13/5  rDev -4.9%

An classic American micro-brew..in the plain brown long neck.
the beer pours a rather light brown /ruby colour with a small off-white head..that soon fades to a lace on top of the beer.
Nice aroma of roasted malts andsome coffee like smell also
the taste though is a little on the average side..i can taste the rosted malts and some dark chocolate/ espresso bitterness..but its painfully thin and doesnt satisfy.
Pretty average on the tongue..a bit cloying though.
Avereage drinkability for a fairly aver age beer..this could have been better.

Reidrover, May 05, 2003
3.8/5  rDev +15.5%

I tried this with low expectations but was more than pleasantly surprised. Sweet and malty with a great balance of hops. Flavorful but not overpowering. It has great color but a slightly lacking head. Pete's is a beer which you can pour and enjoy, or invite the other bottles along and pound the whole six pack. Definitely something I will buy again.

86MonteSS, Apr 27, 2003
2.93/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured an unimpressive thin white head.Color is a cherry red.Somewhat dark but clear.Has a malty and bready aroma.Light and refreshing with a crisp mouthfeel.However,it is nothing complex and worth being called a craft beer.Overall below average.I would only recomend this at cookouts and parties.Tastes like Bud with a little more malt.I have a feeling this is a sure headache beer.

kelticblood, Apr 10, 2003
2.42/5  rDev -26.4%

Finally, I tried a few of the Pete's beers. I was expecting a micro brew, but found a macro. This pours actually pretty good looking, darker than most in color. The nose get grains. Taste is a little malty, but very grainy, mostly corn. A little floral, grassy? Finishes unimpressive. I didn't care for this too much. maybe the other varieties are better.

Rifrafboy, Mar 20, 2003
2.45/5  rDev -25.5%

TWO WISHES:

1) I wish I knew then, what I know now.
2) I wish I could go back to then, and taste the original Pete's

I distinctly recall a severe dislike for the taste of Pete's Wicked Ale back in the days of my mis-spent youth. I also had a severe dislike for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale back then, as well. Today, I find SNPA a very enjoyable beer--Pete's, I do not!

This is regrettable, since, what I recall as a tongue-wincing hop moster at one time, would probably be in my short list of "go-to" macro-micros now (those that pinch hit for the big beers during a shopping crisis). But, Pete's, from what I've read, has long since lost its title as a respectable micro.

The pour almost fooled me with its rather deep amber hue, and tan, dimpled head, almost as though I could expect some flavor from the beer. That came to a screeching halt at the first whiff, which, along with the taste, exuded that fusel-spoutin', crystal-cheatin', hangover-laden, "Alcohol-Death-by-Anhauser-Busch" smell, that is only surpassed in repulsiveness by.....Anhauser-Busch.

This was a tough one to choke down, and squeeking out any flavor whatsoever came as a tedious chore.

Hops? There aren't any, as far as I can tell. But what do I know, with a case of Lagunitas, Bear Republic, Stone, Marin, and Moylan's bombers sitting in the basement?

R.I.P. Pete!

PS - They would do well to rename this beer, "Pete's Limpid Ale."

DarthMalt, Mar 17, 2003
3.85/5  rDev +17%

Brewed in Tumwater, WA / Eden, NC. Pours a clear, reddish-mahogany body capped by a creamy light tan head. The head holds shortly, and then drops to a decent, creamy collar and cottony surface covering. It leaves some transient lace that's nice while it's there. The nose is softly sweet with notes of Munich malt and a touch of chocolate, but there are no hops to be found. A smooth and creamy, fine/gentle carbonation and medium bodied mouthfeel boosts it's maltiness; and the flavor reflects the aroma. It's malty and softly sweet with the rich, grainy character of Munich malt and some minor caramel and chocolate. Light, spicy hops dance across the palate. The bitterness is restrained, but it finishes drying with a quick flourish of hops and some mild residual malt. Although this is clearly not the beer it once was, it is enjoyable. It lacks the hops that it once had in its aroma, flavor, and bitterness; but it's well-balanced, and possibly even more so than the more aggressive original version.

NeroFiddled, Mar 05, 2003
3.68/5  rDev +11.9%

Nice copper somewhat translucent color and a nice tan rocky head that rendered nice lacing on glass. Had big malty, sweet brown sugar and caramel flavors up front. Some nice fruity esters in middle and a smooth and not very dry finish from minimal hop presence. I remember dirinking this beer in colloge aroung 1991 and I remember it being a little more Hoppy and complex with a richer mouthfeel. All in all a bit to sweet overall but a nice brown ale that I would prefer over many other brown ales Newcastle being the first to mind..

OatmattStout, Feb 26, 2003
2.73/5  rDev -17%

It is quite amazing the transformation your tastes can go through on the long and luxurious journey of beer advocacy. what was once appreciated, is now tossed to the wayside. What was once held in high reguard, is now thought to be gimicky. Take for instance this pint glass full of Pete's Wicked Ale that sits infront of me. I used to enjoy this beer, though hardly drink it, for the price. Now i cant find any sign of what i did like about it. The smell has a cloying sweetness that seems to be masking another unfavorable smell that i cant quite put my finger on. Is it alcohol? I dont know. There is no ABV on the lable. The looks of it are ok. A deep ruby or coppor color, a slight ring of head left around the glass. Not much, though. The taste is also sweet, but other than that, there is not much to notice or is there a kind of nuttyness. It is hard to tell. There seems to be a overpowering bite on the tounge which seems to dull the senses.
In general, i think i must be a converted man. I would not choose to drink this beer again, where once i would have thought finding one floating in a cooler of ice was a score.

elmocoso, Feb 05, 2003