Pete's Wicked Wanderlust Cream Ale - Pete's Brewing Company

Pete's Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Cream Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 09-20-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pete's Wicked Wanderlust Cream Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 138 | Reviews: 126
1.23/5  rDev -61.2%

Pours a burnt amber color, with a 1" head that lasted a bit and left behind lots of sticky lace.

Aroma was not good. Grainy, also had a Day-after-a-bender-first-piss-of-the-morning, kind of smell. Dude just drank 2 40s of OE and now he’s trying to bum money off of you smell. not good.

Flavor was not as bad as aroma, but it wasn’t good. kind of sour, Not quite skunky but old grape juice sour,
with a slight hoppiness hiding beneath.

I checked for a freshness date but didn’t find one. I bought this sixer at a grocery store by my house that rotates their beer often, so if this is old it was hidden in the storage room for a while. I then realize that this is a new beer from pete’s so it can’t be old, it’s just bad.

1.86/5  rDev -41.3%

Pours a clear reddish gold colored ale with an off white colored head.

Smell is corn and nothing but corn. There are some herbal hops in this trying to cover up the smell, but this is just plain corn.

Taste is corn and some hops trying to cover up the corn and a strange metallic flavor. BLARG! This is worse than even really cheap malt liquors!

Mouthfeel is competent.

OK what you have here is your regular glass of crap. If you ever consider buying this beer save your money and go down to where the bums hang out and buy what they are buying. 100% PURE CRAP! Worse than Corona.

2.03/5  rDev -36%

How dissapointing! Pours a hazy light creamy orange and yellow with a weak white head. The smell is of funky grains and malts. The malt is lacking any character. The taste is much the same, malts seem weak and flavorless, straw and corn hit the mouth hard and stay there, hints of caramel but seem weak and offputting. Light bodied ale.

2.12/5  rDev -33.1%

I was really looking forward to this beer, and more than a bit disappointed. It tastes like a macro, very little to offer. It does have a nice billowy creamy head, but that is the only thing cream about it. The malt is flat tasting, touch of hops, err...wow, I was expecting more. Too bad.

2.18/5  rDev -31.2%

Appearance – Thin light orange in color but with a big foamy head. The head is marvelous and looks like a thick valley fog.

Smell – The light, grainy cream ale aroma was putrid and brought along some light, very faint fruity hops.

Taste – This is nasty, rotten grain followed by creamed corn.

Mouthfeel – This light-bodied ale is thin and cheaply carbonated.

Sinkability – Ugh!

2.21/5  rDev -30.3%

Found this brew to be quite watery. I feel like it should be used mostly for beer pong and oter drinking games. It's very easy to put down a few in a sitting. I like most cream ales I feel that they are a classic style and I like that a lot. This brew should be revisited because I can't remember a whole lot about it other than I wasn't impressed.

2.29/5  rDev -27.8%

Appearence: Pours an ugly copper color with a nasty white head. Tiny lacing.

Smell: An average beer smell. No appearent smells. Just malts and hops, none of which are special.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Wow. This is tastes like garbage. A very strong sunscreen taste at first, with a horrid bitterness at the end. The mouthfeel is decent. Slick and smooth.

Drinkability and Overall: The flavor of this beer gets worse and worse everytime you take a sip. Disgustingly unflavorful. I'll never have this again. I'd rather go chug a Blue Moon. And I hate Blue Moon.

2.33/5  rDev -26.5%

Pete's Wicked- Wanderlust Cream Ale

Appearance- light caramel orange with a thick white head that held up well and laced the inner glass nicely.
Smell- light caramel mixed in with the malt. Hints of Vanilla and apricot.
Taste- Light skunky malt with a touch of vanilla. Weak flavor.
Mouthfeel- weak and watery. A slight Malty and metallic aftertaste.

Overall- I wanted to like it but...! Actually tastes more like a Macro (BMC) blended with a touch of vanilla and malt. Not good, stay away!

2.38/5  rDev -24.9%

Light amber color. White head that leaves a little lacing. The fruity aroma is slightly unpleasant. Thin malt backbone leads to a fruity lemon flavor and minimal hop bitterness. There is a nasty sweetness to this beer that really rubs me the wrong way. Medium body. Why this is called a cream ale, I don't know. I didn't find it creamy at all. I defintely won't buy this again.

2.43/5  rDev -23.3%

Ok bought in the 12 oz brown long neck
Pretty good looking beer when poured ..dark golden with a massive frothy/creamy white head..that stays for a while.
The aroma is rather average..lagerish.
The taste however is strange and not really strange in a pleasant way, starts off ok..smooth malts..but then there is an awful bitter astringency..really cloying..out of place in a creamy ale..its like a cheap malt liquor astringency.
Beer has an average mouthfeel.
NOt drinkable..the bad astringency..is too much , to make this a beer I would go back to again.

2.45/5  rDev -22.7%

Poured out of the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a clear bronze color with a one finger foamy head. Slight bits of lacing. Smell is sweet, of corn and amber malt. The taste isn't as sweet as it smells, it starts out hoppy transitions to malty and back to hoppy. The mouthfeel is light bodied and is creamy as advertised, but not overly impressive. Overall I would have to say that this is an average amber beer.

2.48/5  rDev -21.8%

Light-golden appearance, thick head that dissapated somewhat quickly. A little bitterness in the nose. Tastes light, kind of bitter, I've only had one cream ale before and I'm not getting that flavor here, remindes me more of an european pilsner. If you could catorgorize it as such it's not too bad, but as a cream ale I think it misses the mark.

2.56/5  rDev -19.2%

Kinda cool label, but the label can only hide so much. Out of the bottle with a weak, quickly disappearing head and a light copper color.

Inital smell seems almost a little skunked. Basic 'yellow beer' smell.

Taste: reminds me of sipping one of Grandpa's nasty old yellow beers. Kinda rough on the palate at first.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Once you accept that you are not getting a winter ale, the mouthfeel is not awful, kinda smooth. As for the drinkability I was expecting more from a winter ale, but this one seems like it should be more of something you would drink playing during a bar softball league.

2.65/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours a light orange/amber color with a very small fizzy head that dissapears within seconds. The aroma is sweet malt and a touch of vanilla. The taste is much like the aroma with a lingering sweet malty flavor with a very small hop presence. The mouthfeel is smoot and creamy. Overall, this is not a terrible brew but certainly nothing I have the desire to pick up again.

2.65/5  rDev -16.4%

My first of the style. Now I know why I didn't try it before. Pete's isn't a bad microbrewery, but this is (IMHO) a bad microbrew. If I closed my eyes, it tasted like Molson Ice. Glassy smooth with little carbonation, mild hops taste that quickly melted into an alcohol astingent flavor on the tongue. The color was a weird (almost artificially enhanced) pink; and that lended to my negative opinion, I'm afraid. Reminded me of a flat Killians, with a bit more alcohol bite in the end. Sorry, Pete. Just not something I'll try again.

2.68/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

"So raise a cheer to those forgotten years,
Back to the corner where we went our separate ways."

--from 'Wanderlust' by Flogging Molly

Burnt orange with a busy look thanks to all the miniscule bubbles ascending within. The pale orange crown is nicely creamy and should last well into the review. Most cream ale isn't this dark, but there's no sense in marking it down for looking like an Oktoberfest.

The nose is strictly average. It's more malty than hoppy... and isn't very malty. Whiffs of barely toasted Munich malt and faintly musky hops are appreciated. The rest of the grain bill includes pale and wheat and the hops are Cluster. A lack of any real negatives keeps the aroma on the acceptable side.

Cream ales have a tendency to be unimpressive unless the brewer is truly committed to the style and uses quality ingredients. Wanderlust is unimpressive. Munich malt was not a great choice since it contributes a earthy, toasted grain flavor that should not be present in a beer of this style.

Even though the malt contributes flavor, there isn't enough of it. There aren't too many cream ales that are this light. A lack of malt translates into a lack of sweetness and a lack of a smooth, sufficiently creamy mouthfeel. The bottom line is that this isn't a very good example of the style and doesn't adhere very closely to the guidelines.

The word is that Pete's Brewing Company beer was better in the good old days. In the good new days, though, it ain't so wonderful. I haven't yet had Strawberry Blonde, but it's doubtful that it's any more of a quality fruit beer than Wanderlust is a quality cream ale.

2.73/5  rDev -13.9%

12 oz bottle into a Chimay Chalice. Poured a light almost golden amber color with a little had that dissipated very quickly. The aroma is malty sweet with a little roasted malt also. The taste is strange. Its malty sweet with just enough hops to balance but there is this weird sweetness (reminds me of how the sweetness of saccharine lingers) that stays all the way through the beer. It was just plain, nothing really exciting about it. I would find it hard to drink more then 1 in a sitting.

2.74/5  rDev -13.6%

This pours a clear amber with a nice two finger head.The smell is very weak,but you can detect some floral and vegatable scents.The taste is a little hoppy,but not much else.There is a slight malt and nuttiness to this,but not much.The m/f is light ,weak,and watery.This is an average beer,and a below average winter beer.

2.75/5  rDev -13.2%

The beer was poured from the bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a honey amber coloration with a off white head about 1 inch high. The head quickly resolves.

Smell: The beer has a bit of lemon citrus with a vaguely carmel combo.

Taste: The beer has an overly sweet corn maltyness to it. There is the tiniest bit of hops peaking out in the beer.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is light bodied with a slight creamyness noted. This is an ok drinking beer. I wouldnt go out of my way for this and I wouldnt sink pour it.

2.76/5  rDev -12.9%

Amber-gold in hue, the color is unexpectedly eye-catching! There are gobs of animation racing towards the white head; at the apex the foam was two fingers in height. Head retention was decent; it faded to a soapy, fairly thick cap. This cap lasted the entire consumption. Subsequent lacing was very webby and quite widespread. It’s off to a good start! The nose is malty sweet with grainy aromas. There is a weak suggestion of spiciness, from the hops? Husky. Clean. Filtered. It doesn’t smell like a Cream Ale. Inoffensive but not inviting, the potency is low and it fails to say much anyway. The palate is okay; I don’t enjoy that distinctive “Pete’s aura”. Aside from their Summer Seasonal I haven’t had a Pete’s in years yet I can remember what they all “taste” like. The house yeast, even filtered like it is, is still noticeable. Hell, maybe it’s the water. I don’t know. Back to this beer… Cream Ale? Hardly. Adjunct Ale? I’m buying that. There isn’t any sophistication in this beer. I assume there was supposed to be. Yeah right, who am I fooling? The beer was brewed to be bland and popular with the macro-lager crowd. They succeed. Sweetness is moderate. Husky. Grainy. Caramel malts are found in small doses, lightly toasted. No bitterness. Lightly nutty and metallic. Bland yet muddled. Clean to a point. There isn’t anything foul about this beer. There isn’t anything really good about the taste either. The aftertaste has a slightly rotten/cooked veggie thing going on. This really hurts the likeability. Medium-light/light in body, the carbonation is active and appropriate for this beer, overall the mouthfeel is decent, uneventful but workable. The more I drank, the less I liked it. Thankfully I have only one bottle. It is not drinkable. It is not enjoyable. It is hardly worth a damn. Not recommended. I purchased one bottle in Lincoln, NE as part of a mixed six-pack of winter beers.

A Cream Ale for a winter seasonal? Comical.

2.76/5  rDev -12.9%

Pete's Wicked Wanderlust Cream ale is an amber color with a huge soapy off white head.

smells of wheat and sourness. not bad, but a bad indicator of what is to come.

tastes grainy, funky, sour. not much positive flavor notes. there is some positive wheat and slight spice notes, however. this funky taste is overbearing and difficult to drink. even worse once it warms up a minute.

somewhat creamy mouthfeel. doesn't quite live up to the 'cream' ale expectations.

drinkable, but why? this beer offers me nothing that i enjoy

+ probably a good crossover beer. im sure it appeals to someone

- what is that sour funky taste here? this could be a good beer if it weren't for that off grain/metallic/old socks taste.

= this is the second texas brewed beer that i've had this week and have been disappointed with. ah, well, at least i can still rely on real ale and (512) to keep me satisfied.

2.77/5  rDev -12.6%

Got this from a friend recently, so I could sample and review it on here. Yes, I know it's a winter seasonal, but I can't pass up a chance to review a beer and it's a change from the hefe's, witbier's, and light fare that I've been enjoying as of late. When I had this a few years ago, I thought it was decent. My tastes and standards have changed during that time, and accordingly, I don't think this beer is as a good as I once thought it was. That being said, this was probably brewed well over six months ago, and it's not the freshest offering I've had lately either...

Not that great a pour - this was darker than I thought it would be, and looks more like a regular ale than a cream ale. The head and lacing are nowhere to be found, and the taste...well, there's a lot going on here, but I don't think much of it was intentional. Floral, citrus, metallic, grainy, and watered-down notes can all be felt here to various degrees. The aroma is a few notches above a Yuengling, Pabst, or the like, and the taste is fairly empty too. It's light, tangy, tart, and most of all, pretty empty. Sure, it'll foam up a bit if ya swish it around, but a winter brew should be spicier, warming, and in this case, creamy. There's not much of that going on here.

The 5.60% ABV can hardly be felt here, but the aftertaste that lingers can be, unfortunately. It's just a bit bitter, but more sharp and tingly than anything else. I did like Pete's Wicked Rally Cap Ale and the Strawberry Blonde when I had those a few years ago, but seeing how this beer has not stood the test of time, I doubt that this brand of beer has what it takes to make it in the craft brewing scene. Only worth a shot if Genesee is the best ya can do!

2.8/5  rDev -11.7%

This doesn't look like a cream ale--too dark. Amber color and clear. Decent head that recedes into rocky foam but does not leave any lace.

Mild aroma without any off smells. Mostly malt, but it isn't sweet. No hops.

Slightly sour flavor. Again, mostly malty and reasonably dry. One dimensional in the flavor profile--the initial sip matches the swallow and aftertaste. Full bodied and carbonated well.

Nothing too bad about this, but not one I'd likely to seek out again.

2.81/5  rDev -11.4%

I picked up a six-pack of Wanderlust Cream Ale at a grocery store out of curiosity. I poured this beer in to a pint tumbler.

Pours an amber/gold color and is clear. A creamy two-finger stark white head forms and produces a lot of lace on the sides of the glass.

The smell is floral, and perfume like. It also has a bit of a hospital sterile alcohol aroma.

The taste is grainy, cereal, with a mild hop finish, and a little skunk flavor.

Mouthfeel is light and clean.

This is a drinkable beer, but the smell and taste are a bit odd. I've had better smelling and tasting beer, and I'll probably pass on Wanderlust in the future.

2.83/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very underachieving. Don't find many cream ales so I was excited to find this one, and I'd remembered some good experiences with Pete's Brewing Co's products, but this one didn't impress me at all.

Poured with a pretty scant white head, average lacing. Light gold, and well carbonated. Nice, smooth mouthfeel.

Tastes very much, like other reviewers have said, like a slightly better version of an average macro. Sweet but pretty flat malt, almost no hop presence. Has some fruitiness. As it warms, it becomes rather boozy.

Would be a good choice for a mixed group as it is decent, but not one I'd pick up again.

Pete's Wicked Wanderlust Cream Ale from Pete's Brewing Company