Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde - Pete's Brewing Company

awful

Pete's Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-09-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde Alström Bros

I was at a party, it was this or Rolling Rock-shoulda gone with the rock. Smelled and tasted like a strawberry pop tart. Very carbonated and artificial tasting. I poured some in a glass and it had an food-dye pinkish color that reminded me of Pepto Bismol, which you will be needing if you drink this. Does anyone actually drink this crap!

1.02/5  rDev -65.2%

One of the worst beers i have ever had in my entire life. This "beer" has a cough syrup taste to it that was hard for me to get out of my mouth 2 hours after leaving the bar. It was hard for me to finish this at all and it spoiled the next two beers that I ordered.

The strawberry taste was not sweet at all but just seemed to attack my taste buds and then hung on for dear life. Please stay clear of this brew.

1.27/5  rDev -56.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

First of all, my girl picked this up to go with a pizza, not my choice.

A - Looked a bit watered down with its pale yellow hue, quarter inch of head that was go in half a minute.

S - Strawberries, it have a sweet almost sugary aroma, light hops and not much else.

T - Strawberries, sugar, and then nothing, It taste lackluster and very light.

M - Watery and slight carbination.

D - Pass.

1.3/5  rDev -55.6%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Poured a very light amber, with a head that disappeared very quickly. Smelled sweet...and nothing else. Tasted sweet...and nothing else. Was fairly smooth, but there was almost no carbonation. Felt and tasted like drinking watered down strawberry kool aid.
Waste of time. If I'm drinking a beer, I'd like to actually taste the beer.

1.35/5  rDev -53.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle. Poured a light golden, honey color with good head and carbonation. Obviously had a strawberry smell but not as overpowering as I expected. Actually was fairly mild. Taste was very bland. Had a taste of strawberry but not much else underlying flavor. Ends with a slight bitter taste. Won't be trying this one again. I'd honestly rather have a Miller Lite. (1,NA,ML,N)

1.35/5  rDev -53.9%

First had: bottle in my fridge, thanks to KRoc

Dammit, Katherine, why did you leave this in my fridge?

Pours a clear yellow with a fizzy white head that recedes pretty quickly. Pale malts and strawberries in the aroma. Grainy taste with strawberry flavoring in the background and a bunch of stale funk going on. Light body, thin, and not very drinkable at all. ... Unless you're a girl perhaps.

1.43/5  rDev -51.2%

12oz bottle poued into a pint glass.

Pours a light clear amber with minimal head that recedes quickly.

Aroma: Strawberry Shortcake. Not the dessert--the doll, i.e. "my she's looking swell, the cute little doll with the strawberry smell", the cloying scent of whom I was exposed to at Christmases past as female cousins opened their gifts. Yeesh! Maybe some malty scents are trying to get through but probably would be hard to distinguish from strawberry soda.

Good things can be said about the taste: it's not sweet...there is OK beer underneath the suprisingly artificial (for "natural flavor") strawberry taste...it's crisp with decent hoppy bitterness. However, the finish goes from good bitter to bad bitter, leaving a chemical aftertaste that makes each next sip a chore. Wow, this is about the least drinkable beer I have had in a long time! It's practically giving me a headache.

OK maybe I don't like fuit-flavored beers much, but I am open to a beer flavored with fruit (such as He'brew Genesis 10:10, for example) that integrates a fruit flavor into the brew to create something novel, rather than just dumping flavor into some beer. By the way, I LOVE fruit lambics.

1.45/5  rDev -50.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

As I read earlier, this beer is for people who don't want to drink beer. For that reason I really have no respect for it. I tried it because it was the only beer my non-beer drinking friend had but now I know better. There is a strawberry smell and taste in here but its very artificial and sickly sweet. Hardly any body to speak of finish is sick. Stay away.

1.58/5  rDev -46.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Man this was horrid. It wasn't quite a disaster. It was sweet enough. I'm suprised it sells so well for being wattery kool-aid with a shot.

1.6/5  rDev -45.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, the beer is a pale, watery looking yellow with slight rose highlights, and no head whatsoever. Smells like strawberry syrup or jam; overpowering and oversweet. The taste is all over the place; toasty flavors initially, followed by the heavy, oversweet strawberry again, and finishing with a weak, slightly sour malt flavor. The beer is very watery and limp in mouth, and the aftertaste is similar to burnt toast loaded with strawberry jam to cover it up. Watered down qualities all around, and not worth the time it takes to drink it. Very disappointing.

1.7/5  rDev -42%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

One of the nastier drinks I have come across in my life. It poured a golden color with a head that left as quickly as it came. The smell was of sugar and strawberries. The taste was about the same, with nothing to ballance out the overly sweet strawberrty syrup flavor. This is defianantly aimed at the chicks who hate the taste of beer. This is the last time I ever have this crap for sure.

1.75/5  rDev -40.3%

Seems like the only reason for this beer to exist is for people who really don't want to drink beer. Really artificial tasting, thin, watery. Of no redeeming social value imho.

1.75/5  rDev -40.3%

1.78/5  rDev -39.2%

I usually like Pete's Wicked ales. When I saw this Strawberry Blonde I had no idea that it actually had hints of strawberry in it. I figured it was just a name.

The smell was definetely strawberry, but not the fresh fruit you may think. This sweet smell reminded me of a scented baby's toy. Like a Strawberry Shortcacke doll, or some artificial berry scent. I was not impressed. Maybe since I had associated it with an artificial smell.
The brew is a very clear copper color.
It's a mild tart taste, with alot of bland aftertaste. Maybe if the aroma weren't so distracting I would have enjoyed it more.

-edit-
Drinking straight from the bottle, rather than pouring it into a glass helps control this powerful aroma, and makes the beer easier to drink.

1.78/5  rDev -39.2%

Golden hue w/ lager - like clarity, most likely from heavy filtration. Head settles quickly into a tight layer that leaves a sparse lace. Sickly sweet, strawberry extract completely dominates the aroma and overpowers anything else, but somehow I feel there wouldn't be any noteable nuances aromawise anyway. The processed strawberry flavor carries right on through the flavor, and since hop bitterness is minimal, this brew is cloyingly sweet. There's absolutely nothing going on besides the overbearing strawberry syrup taste. The faintest hint of breadiness and hop bitterness is perceptible only in the finish. Strawberry Blonde barely passes for a beer and ventures into alcopop territory.

1.78/5  rDev -39.2%

I had a Pete’s Wicked left over from a party and decided to give it a try. It poured clear and had a thick, foamy head, which left impressive lacing. Unfortunately, that was the only impressive thing about this beer. It had the smell of a low-end beer, with the faintest hint of strawberry. The taste was no different. You could make out some semblance of fruit, but the cheapness of ingredients in the beer overshadowed it. It was bitter, watery and about as drinkable as any mediocre beer-on-special at the local bar.

1.78/5  rDev -39.2%

artificial strawberry flavored malt beverage aimed at chicks and wussies. this is not a good beer. avoid at all costs. the strawberry flavor is "wicked".

1.78/5  rDev -39.2%

Appearance: Medium amber with a large, slightly off-white, frothy, slowly diminishing head and spotty, thick lacing.

Smell: Metallic grain and strawberry. Umm... not much else

Taste: Uh... Frankenberry cereal? Too sweet, too much fake-tasting strawberry. Finish is metallic and slightly dry.
Mouthfeel: Light0medium body, slightly oily texture, moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: Yet another Pete’s brew that I found to be sub-par. I really don’t care for beers with strong added fruits or spices in them, but even taking style into account, I can’t give this favorable marks. Far better ones out there.

1.8/5  rDev -38.6%

A- clear fizzy yellow with thin white head. good head retention.

S-grainy with strawberry accents. Medium strength smell.

T- very grainy and the strawberry flavoring was very artifical and bad. Aftertaste was disgusting and hard to tolerate. It was very bitter in a bad way.

M- light body and high carbonation-somewhat watery.

D- Im not going to ever have this again. I did not enjoy it at all.

1.83/5  rDev -37.5%

This "strawberery blonde" is without a doubt an unpleasant beer, I cannot believe that I actually went ahead and drank this. The trouble is that my friend had it sitting in his basement and needed it gone, so I was the guinea pig. The appearance is a light amber with a short head. Smell is of strawberries and barley, weird combination. Taste is of guess what ?, wait for it ... strawberries.

I think the moral of the story is if you want a good beer, please purchase something else, if you want strawberries, buy some strawberries, not this strawberry blonde, I am glad the beer is gone.

1.85/5  rDev -36.9%

Bad Beer Thursdays makes a return this week. Not on the "Bottom of Barrel" list anymore but it was. $1.39 a bottle. Worth a shot, unfortunately this turned out to be a case study in diacetyl character. Drain pour. This beer is fucking gross. I suppose this is what bad beer Thursdays are all about.

Beer is dark yellow / orange and hazy with nearly no head of white small bubbles, no lacing, low carbonation.

Aroma is full of strawberries and kind of a toffeeness that I can't really describe. At least the strawberries come through, maybe it will be OK.

Nope...creamy butter mess of a drain pour of a beer. This was gross. I drank about half of it. There is a midpalate fruit sweetness that I thought would help overcome the nastiness of everything else that was happening, but after four sips I thought, "What the fuck am I doing?" One of the worst tasting beers I've ever had.

I've had a lot of bad beers, Thursday nights are reserved for trying a "bad beer" -- but most of the American Adjunct lagers or Malt Liquors are drinkable. This beer was intolerably bad, horrid even. A rough road start to finish with nothing but misery in-between. I will never drink this beer again and if the rumors that this place is finally closing, good riddance.

Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde from Pete's Brewing Company