Turn 12 Pilsner(ish) - Frisco Taphouse & Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Frisco Taphouse & Brewery visit their website
Maryland, United States

German Pilsener |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Boone757 on 06-13-2014)
3.81/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Turn 12 pours a deep gold, much darker than you'd expect from a pilsner. But of course, it's pilsner-ish. The brewer, I was told, is not a huge fan of lagering and the smoothness that comes with it.
Light tan head that does not linger. Aroma is fairly bread, and I mean that in a nice way. Again, not what I'm used to for a pilsner. If it had been a blind taste test, I think pilsner would have been close to my last guess.
Flavors are truly unique. There is a strong hop presence up front, followed by malt with bread, and a very subtle sweet and sour undertone. It's probably a love it or hate it beer, but I really liked it.

I scored it lower on color and smell only because it is inconsistent with a pilsner.

One aspect I particularly liked was that although it's ostensibly a pilsner recipe brewed without layering, there was no wheat effects. This has happened to me twice in my home brewing in my experiments. I hope to talk to the brewer some day soon and ask him how he did it. In any event, this is not a classic pilsner. Higher hop characteristic, with unusual things going on - good things, but unusual by pilsner standards.

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

Turn 12 Pilsner(ish) from Frisco Taphouse & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.