Metolius Dolly Varden India Pale Ale - Portland Brewing Company

Metolius Dolly Varden India Pale AleMetolius Dolly Varden India Pale Ale

Portland Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American IPA |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: cswhitehorse on 10-28-2007)
Reviews by MaltyGoodness:
3.05/5  rDev -3.8%

12oz. bottle

Pours a light orange amber witha small white head that maintains. Decent lacing on the glass.

Aroma is a rather dull blend of piney and citrusy hops. A grainy malt smell also sneaks into the mix. A slight metallic characteristic is faintly present.

Flavor matches the aroma. Grainy malt with a blend of piney and citrusy hops. Has a very dull profile, lacking the zip and brightness of better IPAs. Finishe rather clean and dry with a slightly metallic aftertaste.

Medium body, medium carbonation.

Not terrible, but quite uninspired. With so many good IPAs coming from the west coast, I fail to see why this beer even needs to exist.

3.48/5  rDev +9.8%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: Nice soft head sitting on top of a clear gold glass of beer.

Smell: Almost no smell, a weak hop scent. Very boring.

Taste: Sharp wood flavor, almonds, carmel malts. Low levels of bitterness. This is more of a pale ale and less of an IPA.

Drinkability: Not bad. It's a cheap beer but not really worth get a lot of. I'd rather pay for a bit more flavor and a beer that is properly named. This beer should really be a pale ale and not an IPA

2.9/5  rDev -8.5%

Is next...swim wear...Is next....so so pale ale. I had this pale after having the Amber and Blond ale. Pale ales tend to be my favorites....and this one is just ok. I appreciate the attempt to give it some West coast character, but it falls short of being a good pale ale. The color is a cloudy golden with thin white head with some lacing. There is a pine citrus undertone to the aroma as well as the taste. I certainly could drink alot of this beer if necessary, but it would certainly not be my first choice.

2.53/5  rDev -20.2%

From a 22 oz. bomber, this beer pours a medium golden/orange with a bit of haze. A half inch of just off white head settles quickly to a surface cap and offers some spongy lacing. No notes of a Pyramid association on the label, I though this an interesting curiosity at $2.99.

The nose offers up a hint of hops and some nondescript malt notes, Crystal I assume. Otherwise a bit steely and benign. Some piney notes come out with some agitation, but evaporate quickly.

Rather void in the flavor department initially, segueing to a dry and moderately chalky finish, and slightly smoky in nature. No lingering malt notes to be found besides a bit of orange hop. Feel is ok but drinkability suffers from the dry finish. Offers a decent carbonation level and improves with a little exposure to the air, but certainly not to the point whereby another purchase would be considered.

Freshness date and ABV absent on the label. Check please.

3.9/5  rDev +23%

From a 650 ml. bottle with no lot code or expiration date noted. Acquired at the Shaw's Supermarket in Montpelier, Vermont and sampled on July 9, 2009.

A - A rusty amber tone with good clarity and a lot of bubbling carbonation that builds up to a choppy off-white head and glue-like lacing on the glass.

S - Mainly hopped with something sweet balancing it off.

T/M - A medium mouthfeel with a kind of creamy texture. The flavor is of dry hops and sweetness like caramel. An adequate IPA overall.

3.23/5  rDev +1.9%

Just in case you're wondering, dolly varden is a species of fish from the char family, common in the Pacific Northwest, hence the picture of the fish on the label. 12oz brown bottle with no freshness date to be found. Picked up a 6-pack of these at the local Jewel/Osco store in Glendale Heights, IL for $6.99. I never heard of this beer before so I got it to cure my curiosity.

The beer poured a honey-gold color with a touch of orange in it and made a nice 1½-finger white head that lasted a little over a minute. Lacing was decent.

Even with a few swirls, I swear I couldn't smell anything in this beer.

Definite malt sweetness and even more definite hop bitterness, yet no real pizzaz to this one. It's OK, but bland. I can taste the pale malt and the hops are a mix of grapefruit and pine, but there just isn't enough of them in here.

Crisp and well carbonated mouthfeel. Light to medium in body.

Not an in-your-face hoppy IPA, but easy to drink and enjoyable for the price.

3.58/5  rDev +12.9%

Picked this up at a grocery store out of curiosity, bomber for $2.79 piqued my interest. Granted if this was a six pack it would have ran over $9 at that price (bombers are expensive). Still, the cheapest bomber I can remember seeing so here I am checking it out. Once I got home I discovered this was brewed by Pyramid which is interesting because I am not a fan of Thunderhead IPA and thought the aggregate score on here was way too high. Let's see if this is any better.

A: Light honey, hints of orange coloration. Vast fizzy head with large beads fades slowly but leaves a bit of lace. Looks good.

S: Primary nose is hoppiness, but not harsh or citrus. Mild to moderately floral and sweet with some grains.

T: Very smooth and fruity fruity with a mild hop bite. Hops come across as sweet, but the beer is not sugary. Interesting balance between hops and sweetness, perhaps this is closer to an English IPA or a Pale Ale than an American IPA. Not a typical IPA from my experience but the beer tastes decently good. A little different than I was expecting, but pleasantly surprised. Better than the Thunderhead IPA for me. Not an assertive beer, but a nice mild beer with some hop presence.

M: Very bubbly, but smooth and champagne-like. Body is a bit syrupy.

D: Despite not being prototypical of an American IPA, this is a smooth and pleasant ale with the clear presence of hops. A very mild IPA, but I think it is tasty. Bomber is cheap, but compared to six packs does not make this a deal. If this was in six packs I might pick one up to share sometime. Surprisingly acceptable to my palate.

3.58/5  rDev +12.9%

Orange amber with a quick fading off white head that leaves some lace on the glass. Smells steely with mild floral hops and just a whiff of toffee. Tastes fairly mild for an IPA, nice citrus hops with a sweet malty backbone. Medium slick mouthfeel is paired with a very mild draft-like carbonation. Good sessionable IPA, not extreme but nothing out of place.

3.53/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks to barleywinefiend for the chance to try this brew.

A - nice crystal clear amber brew with a nice white head.

S - light pine and citrus hops and a bit of bready malts.

T - light pine carries the day, hint of bitter and citric with a bread and caramel malt base.

M - medium light bodied, nice carbonation, dry finish.

D - a mild hop session beer.

3.83/5  rDev +20.8%

This is my first craft brew in a long time. I just recently moved so it was the old style and high life for the past few weeks. I figured it's Halloween weekend I might as well get something a little tastier. I had a 12pk of Bud in my hand when I cought glimpes of this out of the corner of my eye. I have never seen this before. Figured wtf I might as well get something I can decipher instead of slam.

Appearance: Honey orange with a cap of offwhite head that falls into a slick. Some sticky spotty lacing.

Smell: Some pale and biscuit malt with a slight spicy sort of earthy grassy notes there as well.

Taste: Not a Hop Bomb by any means but not horrible. It tastes more like a pale ale than a true IPA but I am not going to split hairs. It has a very nice malt backbone to support the hop character that it does have. Caramel and biscuit with a spicy chinook note.

Mouthfeel: Sort of creamy and smooth, It kind of has a homebrew feel to it, I tried one of my friends pale ales and it was reminicent of this. Has a dry and slick feel to it.

Drinkability: This is where this beer shines. I would be able to drink this in pretty rapid if succession. As far as IPAs go I will pass but if someone hands me one I wouldn't turn it down,

2.5/5  rDev -21.1%

3.25/5  rDev +2.5%

3.8/5  rDev +19.9%

Surprisingly drinkable and hoppy for a beer available next to Miller Lite and Wood Chuck at my local grocery store. Pours nice and clear and with an amber body. Carbonation is crisp and creates a minimal white head. A definite aroma of hops is present in the nose with a hint of breadiness. Tastes of citrusy, lingering "juicy-fruit" hops coat and remain on the pallette. A decent beer for a decent price for those nights you want a quaffable IPA, not an Imperial or double.

2.9/5  rDev -8.5%

22 oz. bomber poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass (September 23, 2009). No 'bottled on' date.

Eyes: Pours a hazy honey/copper color. Half a finger head with decent lacing.

Nose: I expect a lot more punch from any IPA. It's interesting I guess, but mostly dull here. Some toasty, musty malt biscuit aromas and some grassy hops.

Tongue: Soft piney, bitter hops, but not enough malt backbone for balance. I like the hops profile, but it's left all alone here.

Mouth: Great carbonation, crisp, bitterness lingers a bit much.

Libation: This feels like an IPA that has some good potential, but just falls short. As there is no bottled on date, and I'd really like to try this fresh, but I'm not sure if faded hops are the problem here. It's an acceptable offering, but not one I'll crave.

Bright clear orange color, thick creamy white head drops quick to a thin layer and leaves sheets of lace.

Earthy piney hop smell hits first, followed by sweet grainy malt. Smells pretty good but could use a little more oomph.

Piney and lightly floral hop taste with toasty sweet malt in the background. Good balance.

A bit watery but slight oily texture makes up for it. Nice crispness too.

Pretty darn good, an easy-drinking if unspectacular IPA. It's freshness probably contributed to my enjoyment (brand new at my local grocery), but I'd buy again without hesitation.

Tasted on 7/2/08.

1.63/5  rDev -48.6%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz twist off brown bottle. No apparent date. I found it at the local grocery store.

It pours a golden copper color with a foamy but frothy white head. It sticks for awhile before receding with some nice lacing.

I am struggling to get a smell out of this, perhaps a bit of honey and grassy hops. There is the slightest bit of tropical fruit. This smells like a watered down APA.

The taste is very buttery. The hops show up a bit more in the daste but I can't get over how much diacetyl and buttered corn/buttered biscuit flavor I'm getting form this. The hops are blunt, mainly just a slight bitterness. There is a strong mineral water flavor as well. This is mostly watery, buttery malt.

The mouthfeel is watery and the alcohol doesn't even seem to be completely hidden.

This is a butchery of an IPA, it is gross.

3.25/5  rDev +2.5%

Served in a Buffalo Bills shaker pint glass.

Thanks to some LZ fishermen BAs for sharing this bottle!

What better beer is there to accompany the consumption of some hand-caught rainbow trout, eh? It pours a clear sunrise semi-russet-amber topped by a finger of dirty white foam. The nose comprises apple juice, orange zest, and flowers. The taste holds notes of orange zest, caramel, ruby red grapefruit, and orange peel. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta syrupy feel. Overall, an okay IPA at best, one that really doesn't pop in any way, though it also doesn't really offend, either.

4.38/5  rDev +38.2%

I bought 3 cases of bombers of this beer because it was on super sale at my local grocery outlet. I really just wanted the empty bombers, and figured the beer would just be a bonus (empty bombers are not cheap out here).

Okay, so if you take your mindset off of the whole IPA expectation, and just rate the beer for being what it is, then I am sure you will like this one better. It does not have the classic mouth punching bitterness of a good IPA, and I would say the very malty nature of this one would make me want to compare it to a Maibock, because that is exactly what this reminded me of.

You simply cannot ignore the malt in this. It grew on me, but the hops were definitely no slouch either. This is a perfect beer to pair with slaw dogs, or Chinese food, or with bratwurst. I used it to make a delicious Welsh Rabbit, where the hoppiness truly came out.

I love how drinkable this beer is. Finishing a bomber (hey, I am not a big drinker) is a pleasure. The head is truly fantastic, and the lace clings tenaciously to the glass all the way to the bottom.

Again, just don't use your IPA goggles when you try this, and I bet you will find it quite satisfying.

2.85/5  rDev -10.1%

I didn't have an appropriate receptacle to decant this bottle, so I'm drinking it out of the bottle. Sticking my nose down the bottle neck didn't give me much - some grassy hop scent, which turned vaguely floral as the brew warmed a bit, but definitely not a remarkable nose. Tastewise, the malts are mostly covered by hop flavor, which is fine for this hop-loving reviewer, but the hops mostly taste bitter and grassy. There just isn't the rich complexity of fruity/floral/pine/citrus that one can get with good hopping. I'm wondering if the hops were mostly added late in the boil, imparting mostly bitterness and less flavor....

At least the beer is very drinkable. The carbonation and crisp (=bitter) lack of complexity makes a brew that is easy to knock back. Provided you like knocking back IPAs. Good, but not stellar.

3.58/5  rDev +12.9%

A&S - Pours a light amber with a finger of eggshell colored head. Smells mostly of malt, and some yeast. No hops coming through on the nose.

T&M - Light malt and citrus hops on the front, as the hop bitterness grows, so does the alcohol burn on the malt. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, however the hops sort of bite a little more than expected, so as it warms it can be a little unappealing.

O - Overall a decent session IPA if its available around you, the somewhat aggressive hop characters in the hop presence may turn off some drinkers, but for a hot summer day this brew really hits the spot. Cheers!

2.45/5  rDev -22.7%

Fairly aggressive pour to get the desired head. Golden color with active carbonation. Nothing overly inviting to look at.

Smell is fresh and clean. First sniff has me thinking its a mild IPA leaning towards a Pale Ale. Yep, the nose had it right. This tastes like a Pale or a watered down IPA however you want to look at it. Malt presence is almost like a second run. Hops are towards the back end with a bit of spice to finish weak and watered.

Notes: Pass. Will not seek out.

3.3/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm not even going to break this one down aspect by aspect. This is fairly boring, watery IPA.

Decent color and a minimal head. Hoppiness is ok, it's just too weak. everything else is mediocre.

You could drink a few of these, but you'd probably get bored first.

3.5/5  rDev +10.4%