Metolius Dolly Varden India Pale Ale - Portland Brewing Company

Metolius Dolly Varden India Pale AleMetolius Dolly Varden India Pale Ale

Portland Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American IPA |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: cswhitehorse on 10-28-2007)
4.38/5  rDev +37.7%

I bought 3 cases of bombers of this beer because it was on super sale at my local grocery outlet. I really just wanted the empty bombers, and figured the beer would just be a bonus (empty bombers are not cheap out here).

Okay, so if you take your mindset off of the whole IPA expectation, and just rate the beer for being what it is, then I am sure you will like this one better. It does not have the classic mouth punching bitterness of a good IPA, and I would say the very malty nature of this one would make me want to compare it to a Maibock, because that is exactly what this reminded me of.

You simply cannot ignore the malt in this. It grew on me, but the hops were definitely no slouch either. This is a perfect beer to pair with slaw dogs, or Chinese food, or with bratwurst. I used it to make a delicious Welsh Rabbit, where the hoppiness truly came out.

I love how drinkable this beer is. Finishing a bomber (hey, I am not a big drinker) is a pleasure. The head is truly fantastic, and the lace clings tenaciously to the glass all the way to the bottom.

Again, just don't use your IPA goggles when you try this, and I bet you will find it quite satisfying.

FoodBlog, Jan 13, 2010

Bright clear orange color, thick creamy white head drops quick to a thin layer and leaves sheets of lace.

Earthy piney hop smell hits first, followed by sweet grainy malt. Smells pretty good but could use a little more oomph.

Piney and lightly floral hop taste with toasty sweet malt in the background. Good balance.

A bit watery but slight oily texture makes up for it. Nice crispness too.

Pretty darn good, an easy-drinking if unspectacular IPA. It's freshness probably contributed to my enjoyment (brand new at my local grocery), but I'd buy again without hesitation.

Tasted on 7/2/08.

tmitch75, Jul 21, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +22.6%

From a 650 ml. bottle with no lot code or expiration date noted. Acquired at the Shaw's Supermarket in Montpelier, Vermont and sampled on July 9, 2009.

A - A rusty amber tone with good clarity and a lot of bubbling carbonation that builds up to a choppy off-white head and glue-like lacing on the glass.

S - Mainly hopped with something sweet balancing it off.

T/M - A medium mouthfeel with a kind of creamy texture. The flavor is of dry hops and sweetness like caramel. An adequate IPA overall.

puboflyons, Jul 10, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +20.4%

This is my first craft brew in a long time. I just recently moved so it was the old style and high life for the past few weeks. I figured it's Halloween weekend I might as well get something a little tastier. I had a 12pk of Bud in my hand when I cought glimpes of this out of the corner of my eye. I have never seen this before. Figured wtf I might as well get something I can decipher instead of slam.

Appearance: Honey orange with a cap of offwhite head that falls into a slick. Some sticky spotty lacing.

Smell: Some pale and biscuit malt with a slight spicy sort of earthy grassy notes there as well.

Taste: Not a Hop Bomb by any means but not horrible. It tastes more like a pale ale than a true IPA but I am not going to split hairs. It has a very nice malt backbone to support the hop character that it does have. Caramel and biscuit with a spicy chinook note.

Mouthfeel: Sort of creamy and smooth, It kind of has a homebrew feel to it, I tried one of my friends pale ales and it was reminicent of this. Has a dry and slick feel to it.

Drinkability: This is where this beer shines. I would be able to drink this in pretty rapid if succession. As far as IPAs go I will pass but if someone hands me one I wouldn't turn it down,

Kylito87, Oct 31, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +19.5%

Surprisingly drinkable and hoppy for a beer available next to Miller Lite and Wood Chuck at my local grocery store. Pours nice and clear and with an amber body. Carbonation is crisp and creates a minimal white head. A definite aroma of hops is present in the nose with a hint of breadiness. Tastes of citrusy, lingering "juicy-fruit" hops coat and remain on the pallette. A decent beer for a decent price for those nights you want a quaffable IPA, not an Imperial or double.

SiphonKing, Nov 01, 2008
3.7/5  rDev +16.4%

Picked up a bomber of this just to try it out, having never heard of the brand before. It's an IPA light, but I'm not complaining. I don't like overwhelmingly hopped beers, but this would probably disappoint hop lovers easily. This might as well be a pale ale. Well, slightly hoppier than a pale ale.

Pretty much an average beer in terms of appearance and smell. Dirty orange, faint hoppy/malt smell. I actually enjoyed the taste though, refreshing and interesting enough to hold my palate's attention. Malty-biscuit to start, a little hops on the way down. Mouthfeel a little thicker than expected. Pleasant bitter and dry aftertaste. Might actually try this again, but not anytime soon.

Trappissed, Jan 30, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +15.7%

I bought a six-pack of Metolius Dolly Varden IPA in a grocery store. Poured in to a pint tumbler.

Pours a copper color and is clear. Creamy two finger white head, has got much resiliency, but does do some minimal lacing on the glass.

Smell is decidedly malty, with a sweet toasted grain aroma and pine scents along side.

Taste is also malty, with some caramel flavors, followed by the expected citrus taste, grapefruit and lemon. Moderate bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is full-bodied and a bit cloying for the style.

A drinkable brew, and I think better than some other Metolius ales.

I'm equally confused. When I bought this I thought I had had it before. Then I realized what I had a couple of years ago was the Cutthroat IPA, so I figured this was re-branded. Having tasted it I'm not so sure. This may be a different recipe, although there are many similarities, including the label.

I gave it higher marks than the Cutthroat so either it is different or my tastes have changed.

Had I added the beer to the site I would have included "Metolius" in the beer name for consistency sake.

RJLarse, May 18, 2008
3.6/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

First time I've seen this beer, and it was at my local Jewel. Had to pick up a sixer.

Pours a clear iced tea amberwith moderate, tiny, and slow bubbling. All beneath a nice starter head of three fingers that recedes to a full film of foam with a little stickage. Nice look, but a pretty land aroa of some faint hops and a little biscuity malts. Pretty standard and pretty hard to detect. Tea like hops hit the palate first, very nice orange peekoo. The malt sorta hits the backburner of the palate. But the toasted crystal malts let you know they're there with a soft bready note. Crisp, bitter, and very sessionable. Nice, cheap, IPA with good flavor and drinkability.

scruffwhor, Jan 31, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +12.6%

Picked this up at a grocery store out of curiosity, bomber for $2.79 piqued my interest. Granted if this was a six pack it would have ran over $9 at that price (bombers are expensive). Still, the cheapest bomber I can remember seeing so here I am checking it out. Once I got home I discovered this was brewed by Pyramid which is interesting because I am not a fan of Thunderhead IPA and thought the aggregate score on here was way too high. Let's see if this is any better.

A: Light honey, hints of orange coloration. Vast fizzy head with large beads fades slowly but leaves a bit of lace. Looks good.

S: Primary nose is hoppiness, but not harsh or citrus. Mild to moderately floral and sweet with some grains.

T: Very smooth and fruity fruity with a mild hop bite. Hops come across as sweet, but the beer is not sugary. Interesting balance between hops and sweetness, perhaps this is closer to an English IPA or a Pale Ale than an American IPA. Not a typical IPA from my experience but the beer tastes decently good. A little different than I was expecting, but pleasantly surprised. Better than the Thunderhead IPA for me. Not an assertive beer, but a nice mild beer with some hop presence.

M: Very bubbly, but smooth and champagne-like. Body is a bit syrupy.

D: Despite not being prototypical of an American IPA, this is a smooth and pleasant ale with the clear presence of hops. A very mild IPA, but I think it is tasty. Bomber is cheap, but compared to six packs does not make this a deal. If this was in six packs I might pick one up to share sometime. Surprisingly acceptable to my palate.

vacax, Apr 21, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +12.6%

Orange amber with a quick fading off white head that leaves some lace on the glass. Smells steely with mild floral hops and just a whiff of toffee. Tastes fairly mild for an IPA, nice citrus hops with a sweet malty backbone. Medium slick mouthfeel is paired with a very mild draft-like carbonation. Good sessionable IPA, not extreme but nothing out of place.

biggred1, Mar 07, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +12.6%

A&S - Pours a light amber with a finger of eggshell colored head. Smells mostly of malt, and some yeast. No hops coming through on the nose.

T&M - Light malt and citrus hops on the front, as the hop bitterness grows, so does the alcohol burn on the malt. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, however the hops sort of bite a little more than expected, so as it warms it can be a little unappealing.

O - Overall a decent session IPA if its available around you, the somewhat aggressive hop characters in the hop presence may turn off some drinkers, but for a hot summer day this brew really hits the spot. Cheers!

NickRivers, Aug 22, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours a medium-amber color with a one finger head that fades to nothing.

Aroma has a decent hint of piney/citrus hops and a breadiness that stands out.

Taste starts out with some hop bitterness upfront and breadiness takes over from the middle. Kind of dry towards the back of the throat.

Mouthfeel is mainly hops and breadiness as described. However,the dryness that shows up at the back of the throat makes this a little hard to stomach.

Overall, an average, if unspectacular, IPA. Saw it on the shelf at Shaw's and first time I've seen it in this area. However, I would not buy it again.

Brad007, Oct 11, 2008
3.55/5  rDev +11.6%

Found some singles at the local discount store for $1.10 / 12oz bottle.
Beer has a deep, golden color and quite alot of foam. I'm met with a pretty mild, but nicely flavored drink. The aroma is that of a IPA, just a little bit subdued. I have no way of knowing how fresh this is, usually this store purchases items that are soon to expire or aren't selling too well. For $1.10, I just had a nice little beer.
I will rate it, "GOOD", as in, "good beer", only a pretentious, overly officious jerk [or for that matter an IPA hater] would call this bad beer.

industrialswill, Oct 22, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks to barleywinefiend for the chance to try this brew.

A - nice crystal clear amber brew with a nice white head.

S - light pine and citrus hops and a bit of bready malts.

T - light pine carries the day, hint of bitter and citric with a bread and caramel malt base.

M - medium light bodied, nice carbonation, dry finish.

D - a mild hop session beer.

barleywinebrewer, Dec 12, 2008

GClarkage, Jul 02, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

Girl friend goes to school in Portland, so when I spied a sixer of this and saw that it's from the area, figured I'd give it a shot and try to drink my loneliness away. As Carl from the Simpsons says: "There's nothing like a depressant to chase away the blues."

Poured a clear copper into my Green Flash Brewing pint glass.

Little malt on the nose, maybe some sour hints of something as well.

Bit of malt up front on the taste, with some citrus emerging, with a lingering bitterness.

Healthy amount of carbonation. Doesn't detract from the beer though. Medium-light and crisp.

It's relatively drinkable. I may not up and search out an other sixer of this stuff, but it's not a bad beer by any means.

AWolfAtTheDoor, Jul 06, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured a deep orange color with a off white head. Decent carbonation. Nose was citrus, flral, earthy witha slight hop bitterness scent. taste is malty, well hopped and balanced with earthy tones. Drinkability is good but not a IPA I could sit and make asession out of.

barleywinefiend, Dec 12, 2008
3.48/5  rDev +9.4%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: Nice soft head sitting on top of a clear gold glass of beer.

Smell: Almost no smell, a weak hop scent. Very boring.

Taste: Sharp wood flavor, almonds, carmel malts. Low levels of bitterness. This is more of a pale ale and less of an IPA.

Drinkability: Not bad. It's a cheap beer but not really worth get a lot of. I'd rather pay for a bit more flavor and a beer that is properly named. This beer should really be a pale ale and not an IPA

wmtxbb, Nov 25, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The Dolly Varden comes with the typical fish jumping label with a code which could be a freshness date but who knows. It pours clear, a shade darker than a lager with very little foam head. It leaves some lacing on the side of the glass.

The smell is a slight bit hoppy but not much comes through. The flavor is dominated by the hops but it is the lightest IPA I have ever tasted. It could be a IPA Light. In the mouth it is very thin and tickles the back of the throat as it leaves.

The label now says Metolius Brewing Company, Denver Co but I know Pyramid was brewing this line a while back so I don't know if they sold it off. It is not to be found on the internet. Very puzzling. Bought this at an Albertson's in Lake Oswego.

cswhitehorse, Oct 28, 2007
3.35/5  rDev +5.3%

Out of a bomber this beer was an orange amber color with a good amount of rising carbonation. The three finger head of fluffy, beige bubbles became a rocky cap and retained quite well leaving splotchy bands of lacing. The aroma was classically that of an American IPA, hops-forward with piney and slightly herbal elements and a pale malt background. The flavors were the same and not particularly complex. Pine and herbal elements with some astringent notes on the finish. The mouthfeel was smooth, the body medium and the carbonation good. Many of the elements were on point with this one but the flavors were really so blasé that I wouldn't recommend it.

thekevlarkid, Jul 20, 2009
3.3/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm not even going to break this one down aspect by aspect. This is fairly boring, watery IPA.

Decent color and a minimal head. Hoppiness is ok, it's just too weak. everything else is mediocre.

You could drink a few of these, but you'd probably get bored first.

Pamola, Nov 16, 2008
3.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A solid amber colored brew with a fair white cover and decent lacing. The aroma says subtle bubblegum fruit medley going on with an accent on alcohol tinged pineapple. The flavor brings fruit nougat sweetness with a hayseed hop, rye biscuit flavors mixed nicely. It’s medium bodied, a tad resinous with a fine but thorough carbonation. The taste seems to end up being kind of non-descript, maybe a touch of banana in there. A little watery perhaps. Overall, worth a try but not a future favorite for me.

Durge, Aug 18, 2011

Hopheadjeffery, Jun 19, 2013
3.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Served in a Buffalo Bills shaker pint glass.

Thanks to some LZ fishermen BAs for sharing this bottle!

What better beer is there to accompany the consumption of some hand-caught rainbow trout, eh? It pours a clear sunrise semi-russet-amber topped by a finger of dirty white foam. The nose comprises apple juice, orange zest, and flowers. The taste holds notes of orange zest, caramel, ruby red grapefruit, and orange peel. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta syrupy feel. Overall, an okay IPA at best, one that really doesn't pop in any way, though it also doesn't really offend, either.

TMoney2591, Apr 12, 2011