Metolius Dolly Varden India Pale Ale - Portland Brewing Company

Portland Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American IPA |  ABV ?

Beer added by: cswhitehorse on 10-28-2007

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 52 | Reviews: 42
2.82/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a light copper color with just a thin cap of off-white head that had no retention or lacing. a gentle floral hop aroma greets the nose with a hint of sweet malt in the background. The taste isn't all that hoppy either. The body was on the thin side of average for the style. Drinkability was good, if you approach this beer as a Pale Ale and not an IPA. Overall, a below average example of the style. Try it if you want, but you can do better.

2.49/5  rDev -21.2%

Fairly aggressive pour to get the desired head. Golden color with active carbonation. Nothing overly inviting to look at.

Smell is fresh and clean. First sniff has me thinking its a mild IPA leaning towards a Pale Ale. Yep, the nose had it right. This tastes like a Pale or a watered down IPA however you want to look at it. Malt presence is almost like a second run. Hops are towards the back end with a bit of spice to finish weak and watered.

Notes: Pass. Will not seek out.

2.88/5  rDev -8.9%

22 oz. bomber poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass (September 23, 2009). No 'bottled on' date.

Eyes: Pours a hazy honey/copper color. Half a finger head with decent lacing.

Nose: I expect a lot more punch from any IPA. It's interesting I guess, but mostly dull here. Some toasty, musty malt biscuit aromas and some grassy hops.

Tongue: Soft piney, bitter hops, but not enough malt backbone for balance. I like the hops profile, but it's left all alone here.

Mouth: Great carbonation, crisp, bitterness lingers a bit much.

Libation: This feels like an IPA that has some good potential, but just falls short. As there is no bottled on date, and I'd really like to try this fresh, but I'm not sure if faded hops are the problem here. It's an acceptable offering, but not one I'll crave.

4.38/5  rDev +38.6%

I bought 3 cases of bombers of this beer because it was on super sale at my local grocery outlet. I really just wanted the empty bombers, and figured the beer would just be a bonus (empty bombers are not cheap out here).

Okay, so if you take your mindset off of the whole IPA expectation, and just rate the beer for being what it is, then I am sure you will like this one better. It does not have the classic mouth punching bitterness of a good IPA, and I would say the very malty nature of this one would make me want to compare it to a Maibock, because that is exactly what this reminded me of.

You simply cannot ignore the malt in this. It grew on me, but the hops were definitely no slouch either. This is a perfect beer to pair with slaw dogs, or Chinese food, or with bratwurst. I used it to make a delicious Welsh Rabbit, where the hoppiness truly came out.

I love how drinkable this beer is. Finishing a bomber (hey, I am not a big drinker) is a pleasure. The head is truly fantastic, and the lace clings tenaciously to the glass all the way to the bottom.

Again, just don't use your IPA goggles when you try this, and I bet you will find it quite satisfying.

3.23/5  rDev +2.2%

Hate to say, but I only bought it because it was in a shopping cart labeled everything in cart $1 each.

Poured from a bomber into a .5 liter mug.

A hazy orange color, a little foam but an amazing amount of lacing left on the glass.

Smells, nothing impressive, some grains, just an edge of the hops to await in the taste.

Taste of fruit and grains, then as I await the hops punch I expect in an Indian I started to experience it but then it faded away quickly.
Not what I expected. A little disappointed to say the least.

Smooth enough but I realized that it tasted much better when it was colder.

I think I may have gotten what I paid for.

3.1/5  rDev -1.9%

I poured this one from a 22oz brown bomber bottle into a shaker pint glass.

A= This ale poured a dull and hazy orange color with a 1/2" foamy white head rising from an aggressive pour. The head dropped to a thin ring in short order and left minimal lacing on my glass.

S= Really muted for an IPA. I had to really work at picking up some biscuit malt and distant hops. Disappointing really.

T= The smell was a disappointment and the taste was worse. Started off thin with the barest hint of caramel malt. The hops came in and brought a rather unpleasant astringency. Finish was dry and weak.

MF= Medium bodied with a slick slightly undercarbonated feel.

D= This didn't taste horrible, it just failed to be what it should be in the flavor and aroma department. Not recommended.

2.76/5  rDev -12.7%

I also saw this six pack at Albertson's.

I had high expectations being from the Portand area (The beer, not me).

First taste was a let down. So, I had another one. I was correct with my first taste.

Disappointed to find out it is a marketing ploy by Pyramid/MacTarnahan's.

Not sure what I am going to do with the other five?

I would not recommend this to anyone. And, I would be embarrassed to offer it to one of my friends or enemies.

3.38/5  rDev +7%

Out of a bomber this beer was an orange amber color with a good amount of rising carbonation. The three finger head of fluffy, beige bubbles became a rocky cap and retained quite well leaving splotchy bands of lacing. The aroma was classically that of an American IPA, hops-forward with piney and slightly herbal elements and a pale malt background. The flavors were the same and not particularly complex. Pine and herbal elements with some astringent notes on the finish. The mouthfeel was smooth, the body medium and the carbonation good. Many of the elements were on point with this one but the flavors were really so blasé that I wouldn't recommend it.

3.9/5  rDev +23.4%

From a 650 ml. bottle with no lot code or expiration date noted. Acquired at the Shaw's Supermarket in Montpelier, Vermont and sampled on July 9, 2009.

A - A rusty amber tone with good clarity and a lot of bubbling carbonation that builds up to a choppy off-white head and glue-like lacing on the glass.

S - Mainly hopped with something sweet balancing it off.

T/M - A medium mouthfeel with a kind of creamy texture. The flavor is of dry hops and sweetness like caramel. An adequate IPA overall.

3.58/5  rDev +13.3%

Picked this up at a grocery store out of curiosity, bomber for $2.79 piqued my interest. Granted if this was a six pack it would have ran over $9 at that price (bombers are expensive). Still, the cheapest bomber I can remember seeing so here I am checking it out. Once I got home I discovered this was brewed by Pyramid which is interesting because I am not a fan of Thunderhead IPA and thought the aggregate score on here was way too high. Let's see if this is any better.

A: Light honey, hints of orange coloration. Vast fizzy head with large beads fades slowly but leaves a bit of lace. Looks good.

S: Primary nose is hoppiness, but not harsh or citrus. Mild to moderately floral and sweet with some grains.

T: Very smooth and fruity fruity with a mild hop bite. Hops come across as sweet, but the beer is not sugary. Interesting balance between hops and sweetness, perhaps this is closer to an English IPA or a Pale Ale than an American IPA. Not a typical IPA from my experience but the beer tastes decently good. A little different than I was expecting, but pleasantly surprised. Better than the Thunderhead IPA for me. Not an assertive beer, but a nice mild beer with some hop presence.

M: Very bubbly, but smooth and champagne-like. Body is a bit syrupy.

D: Despite not being prototypical of an American IPA, this is a smooth and pleasant ale with the clear presence of hops. A very mild IPA, but I think it is tasty. Bomber is cheap, but compared to six packs does not make this a deal. If this was in six packs I might pick one up to share sometime. Surprisingly acceptable to my palate.

2.52/5  rDev -20.3%

From a 22 oz. bomber, this beer pours a medium golden/orange with a bit of haze. A half inch of just off white head settles quickly to a surface cap and offers some spongy lacing. No notes of a Pyramid association on the label, I though this an interesting curiosity at $2.99.

The nose offers up a hint of hops and some nondescript malt notes, Crystal I assume. Otherwise a bit steely and benign. Some piney notes come out with some agitation, but evaporate quickly.

Rather void in the flavor department initially, segueing to a dry and moderately chalky finish, and slightly smoky in nature. No lingering malt notes to be found besides a bit of orange hop. Feel is ok but drinkability suffers from the dry finish. Offers a decent carbonation level and improves with a little exposure to the air, but certainly not to the point whereby another purchase would be considered.

Freshness date and ABV absent on the label. Check please.

3.58/5  rDev +13.3%

Orange amber with a quick fading off white head that leaves some lace on the glass. Smells steely with mild floral hops and just a whiff of toffee. Tastes fairly mild for an IPA, nice citrus hops with a sweet malty backbone. Medium slick mouthfeel is paired with a very mild draft-like carbonation. Good sessionable IPA, not extreme but nothing out of place.

3.57/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

First time I've seen this beer, and it was at my local Jewel. Had to pick up a sixer.

Pours a clear iced tea amberwith moderate, tiny, and slow bubbling. All beneath a nice starter head of three fingers that recedes to a full film of foam with a little stickage. Nice look, but a pretty land aroa of some faint hops and a little biscuity malts. Pretty standard and pretty hard to detect. Tea like hops hit the palate first, very nice orange peekoo. The malt sorta hits the backburner of the palate. But the toasted crystal malts let you know they're there with a soft bready note. Crisp, bitter, and very sessionable. Nice, cheap, IPA with good flavor and drinkability.

3.63/5  rDev +14.9%

Picked up a bomber of this just to try it out, having never heard of the brand before. It's an IPA light, but I'm not complaining. I don't like overwhelmingly hopped beers, but this would probably disappoint hop lovers easily. This might as well be a pale ale. Well, slightly hoppier than a pale ale.

Pretty much an average beer in terms of appearance and smell. Dirty orange, faint hoppy/malt smell. I actually enjoyed the taste though, refreshing and interesting enough to hold my palate's attention. Malty-biscuit to start, a little hops on the way down. Mouthfeel a little thicker than expected. Pleasant bitter and dry aftertaste. Might actually try this again, but not anytime soon.

2.47/5  rDev -21.8%

Grabbed sixer from Albertson's because I loves IPAs. Never heard of this one. There's a reason for that.

Clear iced tea appearance with better than average head.

Smell is rather bland. IPA scented but only lightly.

Taste is very bitter and not in the best possible way. Taste a lot more like an ESB than an IPA. Meh. Almost fishy.

Feels alright I guess. Drinkability isn't too high flavorwise. So in conclusion, the smell is weak and the taste is whack.

Overall: who's gonna drink the other five?

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured a deep orange color with a off white head. Decent carbonation. Nose was citrus, flral, earthy witha slight hop bitterness scent. taste is malty, well hopped and balanced with earthy tones. Drinkability is good but not a IPA I could sit and make asession out of.

3.53/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks to barleywinefiend for the chance to try this brew.

A - nice crystal clear amber brew with a nice white head.

S - light pine and citrus hops and a bit of bready malts.

T - light pine carries the day, hint of bitter and citric with a bread and caramel malt base.

M - medium light bodied, nice carbonation, dry finish.

D - a mild hop session beer.

2.75/5  rDev -13%

Bought a sixer of this from Albertson's, since it looked like the only decent beer that was also affordable. Wiseman Nick reporting.

Appearance: Poured a clear copper with medium-sized white head. Head was pretty fizzy and dissipated to a thin halo after a little bit. No lacing.

Smell: Grass, pine, earth, hops. Not very deep, but definitely nature-y.

Taste: Similar to the smell: very earthy and grassy. A touch of caramel and a decent amount of bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied with a pretty boring finish. Kinda watery.

Drinkability: Extremely forgettable and bland. Wasn't a big fan of this one. Not a bad IPA per say, but absolutely nothing special about it.

3.28/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm not even going to break this one down aspect by aspect. This is fairly boring, watery IPA.

Decent color and a minimal head. Hoppiness is ok, it's just too weak. everything else is mediocre.

You could drink a few of these, but you'd probably get bored first.

3.78/5  rDev +19.6%

Surprisingly drinkable and hoppy for a beer available next to Miller Lite and Wood Chuck at my local grocery store. Pours nice and clear and with an amber body. Carbonation is crisp and creates a minimal white head. A definite aroma of hops is present in the nose with a hint of breadiness. Tastes of citrusy, lingering "juicy-fruit" hops coat and remain on the pallette. A decent beer for a decent price for those nights you want a quaffable IPA, not an Imperial or double.

3.57/5  rDev +13%

Pours a medium-amber color with a one finger head that fades to nothing.

Aroma has a decent hint of piney/citrus hops and a breadiness that stands out.

Taste starts out with some hop bitterness upfront and breadiness takes over from the middle. Kind of dry towards the back of the throat.

Mouthfeel is mainly hops and breadiness as described. However,the dryness that shows up at the back of the throat makes this a little hard to stomach.

Overall, an average, if unspectacular, IPA. Saw it on the shelf at Shaw's and first time I've seen it in this area. However, I would not buy it again.

3.06/5  rDev -3.2%

12oz. bottle

Pours a light orange amber witha small white head that maintains. Decent lacing on the glass.

Aroma is a rather dull blend of piney and citrusy hops. A grainy malt smell also sneaks into the mix. A slight metallic characteristic is faintly present.

Flavor matches the aroma. Grainy malt with a blend of piney and citrusy hops. Has a very dull profile, lacking the zip and brightness of better IPAs. Finishe rather clean and dry with a slightly metallic aftertaste.

Medium body, medium carbonation.

Not terrible, but quite uninspired. With so many good IPAs coming from the west coast, I fail to see why this beer even needs to exist.

3.18/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours a light amber orange. Gigantic white foam head, sticks around for a while.

Smells faintly of pine and grapefruit. Taste is somewhat muted, with some pine, a bit of citrus, and a lemony/grass aftertaste.

Just not very good, and it reminds me why I hate shopping at stores that don't offer singles. I now have five more of these to drink.

3.98/5  rDev +25.9%

Bright clear orange color, thick creamy white head drops quick to a thin layer and leaves sheets of lace.

Earthy piney hop smell hits first, followed by sweet grainy malt. Smells pretty good but could use a little more oomph.

Piney and lightly floral hop taste with toasty sweet malt in the background. Good balance.

A bit watery but slight oily texture makes up for it. Nice crispness too.

Pretty darn good, an easy-drinking if unspectacular IPA. It's freshness probably contributed to my enjoyment (brand new at my local grocery), but I'd buy again without hesitation.

Tasted on 7/2/08.

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Girl friend goes to school in Portland, so when I spied a sixer of this and saw that it's from the area, figured I'd give it a shot and try to drink my loneliness away. As Carl from the Simpsons says: "There's nothing like a depressant to chase away the blues."

Poured a clear copper into my Green Flash Brewing pint glass.

Little malt on the nose, maybe some sour hints of something as well.

Bit of malt up front on the taste, with some citrus emerging, with a lingering bitterness.

Healthy amount of carbonation. Doesn't detract from the beer though. Medium-light and crisp.

It's relatively drinkable. I may not up and search out an other sixer of this stuff, but it's not a bad beer by any means.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Metolius Dolly Varden India Pale Ale from Portland Brewing Company