Island Mesa Blonde - Kannah Creek Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.
good

Kannah Creek Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Blonde Ale |  ABV ?

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2005

to view more.
Ratings: 11 | Reviews: 5
Reviews by donaldchapman:
3.78/5  rDev +7.4%

A - Very clear golden color with a slight white frothy head.

S - Very light malt character, clean and crisp.

T - Clean and wheaty, a slight hop flavor and a good balance of bitterness.

M - Light bodied, good carbonation, and crisp.

This beer was a pretty good beer for style, it was refreshing, clean, and crisp, pretty close to what I would expect a blonde to be.

A damn solid blonde. Ironically, sold to me by a brunette, at black bottle brewery, and I won the raffle for a flourescent lima-bean green t-shirt with the ticket I got for ordering this beer! Sweet deal!

I will give them this: the brewery did a great job choosing a rep to sell their beer, which is good beer, btw, and their rep did a great job of making me happy to have tried their beer. Ultimately I wouldn't be very flattering to the beer if I didn't LIKE the beer, so don't think a pretty face is all that it takes to sway me when it comes to beer.

The beer itself is a fine blonde ale, but might have just a touch of funk in it somewhere (or have I been at funkwerks too long? who cares, it's a damn fine blonde ale!).

Grassy to the point where I think I'm collecting monarch butterflies in a field in New York state. Grainy like you're in a hay-loft when you're an impressionable child and you're at the base of your friend's dad's grain silo. Overall a very enjoyable beer that seemed to induce some scent-induced memories, which is always enjoyable, even if it's at least partially illogical! Viva!

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

an english style blonde ale? okay, sure. this is a clearish pale straw colored brew with a ton of carbonation rising several inches in the glass and not really relenting much. the nose is english ale yeast and a lot of malt, more than wheat or pale even, almost a toasty copper note to this, similar to some others they make out there. the flavor matches the nose, really intense grain flavors for such a pale beer, and the yeast makes it seem heavier too. not totally sure this would do what i want a summer seasonal to do for me, but i dont at all dislike it. its just sort of average all the way around even though it is a style bender. huge carbonation levels lighten it up a bit, but its just sort of weird conceptually. not my favorite, but i appreciate it for what it is.

3.92/5  rDev +11.4%

I will start by saying that this review is coming off of a keg I purchased for St. Pattie's Day and installed into my new kegarator. I choose a Belgian-style belled beer glass for my review.

The color of this beer is very pale golden, like many very-light tasting beers, likewise it is very clear. The head is bright white, frothy and leaves ample lacing.

This beer smells very light and a little-bit grainy with a hint of lemony-citrus. At the brewpub they serve this beer ultra-wicked-cold and in that state it is quite refreshing. I served it about 45f and as it warmed from that ther was a bit more hop complexity that came out. It was nice.

The taste is also slightly grainy and has a hint of citrus. As for the claimed style, the brewery has 'English-style' Blonde as its designation, for what its worth. I would say it is amongst the very lightest micro/craft beers I have tried, and is so without any note of cleanser or anything else nasty in the taste.

The mouthfeel is good with a medium body and a decent amount of carbonation and a slightly dry finish.

Drinkability could be higher if the beer were just a bit more interesting or complex, but it is good or I would not have bought a whole keg (5gal size).

All in all a good light beer, though I am not sure of the ABV or the caloric content so maybe its not 'light' at all. It is truly a marvel of lightness nin its realm.

Slainte.

3.53/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Straw colored with not much head.

Smell: Light, bready aroma.

Taste: Tart with a mild grain flaver, like cheerios.

Mouthfeel: Medium carboantion, tart finish.

Drinkability: By itself it was good but with a little pizza it was much better. A good beer for appetizers.

to view more.