Hops On Rye - Firehouse Grill & Brewery

Hops On RyeHops On Rye

Firehouse Grill & Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: ibbjamin on 11-27-2009)

stevecooks, Dec 07, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

I'm a sucker for rye beers with a lot of rye character such as Bruery Rugbrød and Founders Red's Rye PA. Hops On Rye to me does not dish out all that much rye character, but its influence is blended in perfectly with the over-the-top hop load in this beer. So my review of this beer is really that of an IPA, of which Hops On Rye is an excellent example. In addition to a masterful layering of hop flavors & aromas it delivers an assertively bitter and slightly spicy finish that really adds dimension to this beer. It's not often that I want a second round of the same beer, but this one really does it for me.

adsomers, Oct 17, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

Thanks to kyle2k10 who violated my doorstep today with a marvelous box of beer full of barrel, hops, and...rye. Knocking off 7 wants. Yes, 7. This is the first to go down, 22 oz. bottle split with my wife.

Pour is an Razorback cousin of orange marmalade, with lighter orange on the top & deeper orange in the middle of the pint glass - freaky. Swirl, swirl, & stick in your schnazz. Mild earth, citrus, pine, orange, but not a lot of any of them.

Hops on Rye just touched me in a good place. Wooow. Bitter & sweet launch simultaneously at the point of impact on my tongue. Bitterness complemented by tropical fruit is mixed liberally with a sweet dollop of malt, sugary orange Sunkist. Rye wallop follows, a spicy whack to the back of the tongue. Earthy bitterness reasserts itself on the swallow, & it has a long, lingering finish. Ridiculously, over half my beer is gone in the few minutes I've been typing. I could drink this until I slid to the floor.

I think I'm in love. Best rye I've had since Rye of the Tiger, & the orange in this beer kicks it up a notch on the uniqueness scale. An absolute work of art.

maximum12, Mar 29, 2013

Topher78, Apr 17, 2012

nmann08, Nov 18, 2011

jsanmarco, Jun 01, 2014

mattknueven, Sep 09, 2012

KimenTshom, Jan 27, 2012

kornkid8600, Dec 08, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Bruery tulip.

A - Nice dark burnt orange. Nice full eggshell colored head. Leaves a lot of lacing.

S - Citrus, pineapple, mango, spicy rye. This smells really good.

T - Citrus, pineapple, mango, then a nice spicey rye malt middle, with a nice drying bitterness to finish.

M - Medium heavy. This is a dense beer. More like a big DIPA than a IPA. Medium low carbonation gives it a nice silky mouthfeel.

D - Medium. The heavy consistency doesn't let you drink it fast, but the taste and silky mouthfeel makes you wish you could.

Great beer from (at least for me) an unknown brewery. Great value too.

jeff1973, Sep 11, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Now, this is what I'm talkin' about. I was in the mood for a nice, aggressive IPA, and this one out of Sunnyvale's Firehouse Grill & Brewery hit the spot. It pours a truly gorgeous honey orange and throws some serious pine and florals up front.

A nice, inch-deep head with good retention is powered by a combination of Magnum, Amarillo, and Citra hops--not a ground-breaking combination for this style, true, but what gives this brew a nice, distinctive character is the grain bill.

Firehouse has gone with a base of rye malt that gives the beer a heated spice note that complements the hops very well. At 75 IBUs, this is by no means a tongue shredder, but that extra kick from the rye gives your mouth something to think about until the next sip.

This is a fairly hazy beer with a lot of suspended matter which belies how ultimately quaffable and refreshing it is.

monkeylovebeer, Feb 04, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This was one of the highest beer's that I have rated. It wasn't one of my favorites, but I respect what they've done with this one. It's good by all means, and they nail the rye malt with this one. I rated this high, because the malt wasn't overly sweet, and the rye with the bitter pine notes played perfect.

A - Served a clear copper-orange color with a finger of frothy with head atop. Fades fairly slowly leaving behind quite a bit of lace. Murky looking on the pour.

S - Aroma is full of citrus and pine hips with some nice rye alongside. There is a sweetness there, not like caramel, but in that family.

T - Starts off with some pine and grapefruit hops with some nice bitterness and some spiciness from the rye. The taste is there, full of rye, more so in any rye beer. I'm a big fan of Ruthless Rye from Sierra Nevada, but this one takes the cake.

Overall- This is solid all around, and for the price, it was top quality.

Celtics17, Jan 16, 2014
4.45/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beers pours a cloudy orange with an nice initial head. The head dissipates rather quickly.

The smell is quite nice. Citrus hop & honey overtones. Really clear and fresh hop smell. I think this bottle is really fresh, but no bottle date.

Taste is similar to smell with considerable honey, malt sweetness. This is West Coast hoppy, but is more malt balanced than many San Diego IPAs. Definiately hit all areas of the palate.

Mouth feel is solid with fine carnbonation and medium viscocity.

I could drink this all day long.

I must say that I not expecting such a fine beer from such an unassuming bottle. Love it!

jomo, Feb 18, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a golden orange with a thin amount of head. Good amount of lacing left on the glass.

S - Rye and citrus dominate the smell. Also notes of malt.

T - The taste is balanced between caramel and citrus (grapefruit, orange). Finishes with a nice rye (spicy) taste. Very drinkable and the ABV is well hidden.

M - Medium bodied.

O - I didn't know what to expect from this beer but was surprised. Wow! It's a solid IPA and an excellent Rye IPA.

miadw3, Jul 17, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

S - Aroma is full of citrus and pine hips with some nice rye alongside. There is a touch of caramel malts in the background as well.

T - Starts off with some pine and grapefruit hops with some nice bitterness and some spiciness from the rye. Through the middle a bit more bitterness comes through with a bit more sweet caramel malt. Finish is a mix of rye and grapefruit hops with a bit of earthy hops as well that linger.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth with a nice dry and lightly spicy finish.

D - Very drinkable. The rye works really nicely alongside the hops. Really nice balance.

ngeunit1, Apr 19, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

kwjd's bomber. reviewed from notes.

Pours a cloudy orangeish colour, nice 1/2" head, nice lacing too. Nice citrusy hop smell, grapefruit, lemony scent accompanied by great spicy notes from the rye. Tastes hop forward, great oily slick presence, great bitterness, big citra hop taste is brought out further by the firm spice of the rye. Nice medium mouthfeel, coats the palate with a great hop oil presence. Great stuff here, very drinkable.

peensteen, Jan 26, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

Paid $4.75 for a bomber from Bobby's Liquor in San Jose, CA. Poured into a large snifter to review. I later found that I had already reviewed this beer as it was on draft at the brewpub. I gave it a B+ prior, so this must have been a better batch as I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Half inch off white head consistent of medium sized carbonation bubbles. Not too cloudy and copper orange in color. Excellent lacing and a nice layer of retention.

Certainly a hop forward aroma of dank citrus grapefruit.

Very pleasant taste similar in character to the nose. Alcohol very well hidden. A nice west coast example of an IPA. Clean and refreshing. I don't detect much of the rye presence in either the taste or nose, which for me is a bonus I guess as it's a flavor I'm not particularly too fond of.

Medium body leaning towards the light side. This goes down very quickly. Nice creamy feel with a nice dose of oily hops. Medium length finish of slightly bitter grapefruit hops.

Very impressive, never expected this from my neighborhood brewpub. On top of that, the low price tag makes it even that much better. Cheers !!

ibbjamin, Feb 12, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to mlaroche for this on.

No bottle date.

Pours a light amber/orange color, hardly any head, few small bubbles on top, not much lacing either.

Smell has a wonderfully piney hop aroma with a dash of fruity citrus, it isn't harshly hoppy but I also can't pick up much malt in the nose to balance it, I guess it's just appropriately hopped.

Taste starts out with a resiny pine flavor, followed by citrus, aftertaste is a light bitterness cut with some caramel malt, while the rye isn't as heavy as some other beers that feature it, it does add a bit of heaviness to this beer, the soft but active carbonation to this beer is almost spot on and lends some creaminess.

For a beer I just randomly asked for, I'm pleasantly surprised. I'll have to keep my eye out for more from this place.

deltatauhobbit, Dec 27, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Delicious. This is the rye beer for Rye lovers - the rye-e-ist rye beer I have had yet. It has the sharp, sour sting of a good rye bread.

Pours a hazy orange with a decent head. The aroma is sweet and sharp and zippy, with the spicy, slightly peppery bite of rye and what seem to be some flowery hops. The flavor is sweet and very peppery and rye-like, to a degree that grabs the tongue and holds it. It is so strong it comes out with an almost briny saltiness. There is toasted nut, bread, and a little earthy leather behind the rye sting. The mouthfeel is fairly thick and hangs on the tongue, but it feels a little heavier than I like - I wish they could achieve this level of flavor with a less pulpy mouthfeel.

Seanibus, May 08, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

a late night bottle on tofurkey day, 2010, cracked this 22 open at hotel durant in berkeley. an off white head with variable sized bubbles. some gunk is floating around in the amber orange beer. smells like amarillo. the citra and centennial take a back seat, in fact rye and amarillo complement eachother nicely. taste is spicy citrus. it is very drinksble and feels good in my mouth.

berebrando, Nov 26, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a slightly hazy orangish amber with maybe an inch of head. The lacing is decent, it starts thick and creeps down the glass.
The smell is a bit light, but still complex enough. Citrus and spice combine up front with a bready background.
The taste follows suit. Plenty of citrus to go around, fresh squeezed grapefruit and some lemon zest. The malt profile is certainly a rich, spicy rye bread taste. A bit different, but very nice. The mouth is a little sticky which put me off just a little, but still, not bad.
A solid, spicy, hoppy IPA. My first beer from Firehouse and I'm impressed.

OBeerMeGreatOne, Feb 11, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Amber colored pour with an off-white foamy head with staying power. Great aroma. Orange, grapefruit, apple and more fruits. The taste consists of orange and other citrus fruits. Not overpowering. Very refreshing. Nice bittering hops on the swallow. Body is nice and full. Very easy drink. I've seen it in bottles now and am glad I have. Worthy of seeking out and experiencing this gem. Well done.

kaseydad, Feb 26, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Super murky, apple cider hue. This might be one of the darkest, haziest IPAs I've ever seen. Sweet. Clean, citrus, the rinds of an orange or grapefruit come to mind. Definitely some chewiness in the aroma. Medium, juicy body. A noticeable and pleasant sweetness hits the pallet, followed by some hops. There's a very gentle mixing on the hops and malt. This beer isn't too malty and the hops play a big role but do not bombard my taste buds. I think the rye and citra hops were good choices. Orange peel and hops come to mind, bitter-sweet flavors. Do I sense of milky caramel too? Something that reminds me of it. It effects the texture for sure, in a great way. The word 'melt' comes to mind as a theme for this beer. Definitely a great sense of coalescence going on. At least, it stands out in this beer more than others. This was a very well thought out beer. It combines a lot of things together I wouldn't expect. I'm not quite getting the spicy finish the description on the bottle speaks off, but i'm not complaining. Definitely a great pairing for spicy foods.

100floods, Nov 12, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

This is a recent addition to our local BevMo --- sold in 22 oz bottles. This is a really good beer! It has a nice deep orange color and lots of hoppy aromas including hints of pepper and grapefruit all topped off with a near perfect head. The beer has an excellent balance between the hops and Rye malt which adds a nice spicy taste and fullness to it. At 7.5% ABV it’s not a timid beer, but it goes down very easy and has a smooth aftertaste with makes it easy to consume too quickly. I will add this to my rotation of regular beers.

mikechance, Jul 15, 2011