Infidel Imperial IPA - NINE G Brewing Company

Infidel Imperial IPAInfidel Imperial IPA

NINE G Brewing Company
Indiana, United States

(Beer added by: Indybeer on 06-11-2006)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.72/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours light amber orange with a long lasting white head that leaves lots of beautiful lace.

Intense hop aromas dominate the smell. Citrus, pine resins to the max. Makes the nose tingle.

Slightly sweet caramel flavors up front, immediately this is changed to intense, over the top bitter hop resins and smooth citrus notes. Everything an IIPA should be. Some alcohol burn at the end.

Full bodied, and a bit slick. A nicely crafted IIPA.

nortmand, Sep 06, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz purchased at Holiday Market in Canton, MI poured into a pint glass. Best by date is stamped into the side of the label, but is hard to read and makes no sense.

Tall off-white head towering over clear copper with plenty of carbonation. Strong retention with lots of thick globs of lace.

The nose is mostly citric to piney hops with just a hint of the malts. My mouth braces for a hop bomb....but I like it.

The malts reveal themselves upfront as slightly sweet before they are kicked aside from the grapefruit and pine needle hops. Yep, that's a hop bomb Old Scratch is holdin' on the label. Strongly bitter and drying with asome of the sbv creeping up in the back with a little bit of heat. I like all the elements in play here, but there is a certain complexity that is missing. Its a BW by the numbers and I think some age might bring out more character.

Moderate in the mouth and the drinkability is limited to a couple...maybe three.

ypsifly, Aug 04, 2006
3.4/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Alcohol, like many things in life, is a series of incremental steps...the quintessential "acquired" taste. We didn't necessarily love hops when we started out, but we slowly started appreciating them. Soon enough, we were scowering the country for increasingly hop-smattered, teeth-ravagingly bitter beers to quench the eternal hop-thirst. Somewhere along the line, we realized that there is a middle ground between caustic hop-tea and underhopped American barleywine.

This is one of those beers that forces this type of realization. It is insanely bitter...i'm guessing the IBU range here has to be in the high 90's. The mouth-flaming high-acid hopping rates here are not for the faint of heart. The strange thing about it, like many hoppy beers, is that after you get past the initial hop-napalm you start enjoying it.

Infidel IPA features a ridiculous label design with a flamboyant Satan-like figure on the label and various anti-Osama rantings. It is also marked - confusingly - "Please Enjoy Before: 3223G177". The four-pack was a rather costly $11.99.

This beer springs to life a red-twinged copper with a lively head that dies to a lop-sided blob. Fine refractive bubbles linger on the sides of the glass.

The aroma of this beer doesn't exactly scream DIPA, nor does it bowl one over with traditional hop-bomb fragrances. Powder, fluffy malts, a few spikes of metallic hops, and a distinct alcohol burn.

The taste starts out insanely bitter but delectable and realized. The problems seem to develop towards the outset: the beer falls sort of limp with coin-y harsh bitterness. After about half the glass you get acclimated to the wacky-high IBU figures and underwhelming malt presence and things get better. Very orange-like in nature.

Mouthfeel is rough and slightly metallic. Seems to scream for more malt-girth to keep everything from being chaotic.

All in all, this beer has some strengths and some weaknesses. There is a very good DIPA buried in there, you've just got to find it. By the second bottle, I was actually enjoying this a great deal. But that's not to say its not pretty darned rough-around-the-edges. I'm going to let this one sit for 6 months or so. We'll see what a little age does to this package.

GreenWBush, Jul 18, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -7.2%

Snake-1, Snake-1 Don't fire today,
The guy in the Cherokee at FWA
Is going home to drink an I2PA
It might be an Infidel; so what do you say
About giving a Cherokee a break today.
---

Four pack 12 oz bottles. Cannot determine date code; but it just arrived at Liquor Store in Ft. Wayne yesterday.

Slight Pffftt with release of cap.
Pours Rich Clear Orange Copper color from a bottle that retains a slight thin tan sediment in the bottom.
Smell is sweet and hoppy.

BANG ! I think I was hit by a hop filled sidewinder missle, I've lost control of my taste buds !

Hops overwhelm everything, cannot detect alcohol except for slight warming in pit of stomach.

I think I will have to go eat a jalopeno laced burrito to clear my tongue !

Someone kicked in the 'afterburners' when it came to hop additions, and I think it would be fine if they were throttled back a bit. Don't get me wrong, I love hoppy beers; but this could be 75% as hoppy and still be a hop bomb. I gave it 3.5 on drinkability, I think it would be easier to drink if the hops were reduced somewhat.

HopHeadKen, Jul 14, 2006
2.17/5  rDev -44.5%

Ok, i finally got to try Infidel, the double IPA that the new brewery in town has been promising since it opened in December. Man, i've been excited about this beer.

My buddy dispholidus1 brought a 4-pack over and we set to trying...
Poured orange and bubbly with a nice looking head. not cloudy at all. Looks decent. Smells hoppy and sweet, not bad but not great either. There's a dirtiness (like actual dirt) to the odor that i don't expect from an IPA. Taste is pretty bad. Lots of hop oil flavor and tons of sugary sweetness, but it's not balanced at all. It kind of tastes like they used a whole bunch of different hops, added them randomly at all different times in the process and then just called it a double IPA. The alcohol isn't hidden well either. It's hard to drink (not because its a big beer, just because it tastes bad) and doesn't leave you wanting more. This is nowhere near as good as Dogfish, Rogue, 3 Floyds double IPAs. I'm really disappointed.

aforbes10, Jul 11, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a clear amber/orange with a vigourous head. The head and lacing are beautiful. The sheeting in my glass as the initial head recedes looks like lorraine style swiss cheese with all the little holes. It is more like netting or webbbing. The carbonation in the beer is some of the most active I've seen. A tremendous amount of tiny bubbles stream from bottom to top of the glass.

Smell is honeyed hops. It smells like someone made some sort of hop-brittle using honey. Floraly honey with piney hops. This foretells a very sweet and hoppy IIPA.

Taste is mouthdrenchingly hoppy and sweet. The two main flavors there balance each other and fade to a call and response on the back end. It is more bitter than many other IIPAs (more bitter than Dreadnaught, for example). It is more on par with a Ruination. I'd like to try them back to back to see.

As I continue to drink this beer, I get a salty dimension to it as well in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thick and bubbly with a little carbonation bite.

I think after a while the bitterness will overwhelm my mouth and I'd stop enjoying it as much.

silenius, Jun 26, 2006