Tucher Kristall Weizen - Brauerei Tucher Brau

Brauerei Tucher Brau visit their website
Germany

Kristalweizen |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-16-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tucher Kristall Weizen Alström Bros
4.27/5  rDev +14.2%

Rather stylish silver label. 500 ml bottle.

The color of it is deep brassy orange, clear and bright. A sudsy, sticky head lasts and laces the glass. The nose is banana bread, or stewed bananas, an earthier impression, along with melon and a peppery hop tinge. And then earthy, but clean, malt. Yeah, it's hard to describe.

The first sip brings a mineral tang, a mild grassy hop bite, the bananas and melons, then sweet, round malt and grain, leading to a drying finish with a mildly bitter aftertaste. It's delicious. Very creamy and smooth in the mouth, lots of effervescence, everything balanced and working together.

I think I have found a favorite weizen. I usually go for the cloudy, funky ones, but filtered or not, this one has what I want. Must keep this in stock in the fridge. (795 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -23.3%

Purchased from Great Spirits, Huntsville, AL.

I'm a big fan of the Hefe-Weizen style (although as I recall I didn't much care for the Tucher), and my local liquor store was carrying these in 16-oz singles, so I bought one of these and one of the Dunkel-Weiss for tasting purposes. Maybe most of my enjoyment of the Hefe style comes from the yeast, because I found this beer so bland as to be almost undrinkable.

Appearance threw me a bit (my first Kristal Weizen), because with a Weizen I expect a cloudy, dark-yellow look. I knew that a Kristal wouldn't be the same way, but I was amazed at the light yellow clarity of the brew. I could probably have read newsprint straight through it. Used a standard Weizen glass for the tasting, like any other Weiss it produced a nice thick foamy head that almost overwhelmed the glass, although I found that it dissipated much more quickly than the Hefes I've tasted.

The smell drew me in quite nicely -- a subdued but everpresent mix of citrusy aromas and creamy fruitiness. Sniffing this brew, even as the beer went on and the head started to dissipate, was my favorite experience involved with this brew.

Unfortunately, the taste threw me for a loop. Perhaps the yeast in most Hefes keeps the flavor inside, because this beer very quickly disappointed me in its lack of flavor. None of the cloves or citrus taste that I generally expect from a good Weizen; this beer really didn't taste like much of anything. Even swishing it in my mouth and letting the foam build didn't really add anything to the taste. Color me disappointed.

Mouthfeel was a bit better. The beer did have a nice foamy aftertaste, and despite the watery consistency, I found it pleasurable and easy as far as the texture was concerned. Bittnerness was low, and the beer finished nicely even if it wasn't too impressive taste-wise.

It's a pretty drinkable beer, I'd have to say, despite what I'd consider a substandard taste. I might think that this would be a "gateway" beer for people who only drink adjunct lagers, but really you'd miss out on all the flavors of a good hefe with this. My overall impression was kinda, "eh," but I think that the beer isn't really bad enough that I couldn't drink a couple if I had them readily available.

I worried at first that I might have gotten a bad bottle, as Great Spirits doesn't seem to do a lot of business in singles, but I couldn't taste any skunk to this beer and I think that it tasted the way it was supposed to taste -- I think I just didn't care for it. If I have the opportunity to try a few more Kristals in the coming weeks (my liquor store only carries this one), I will see if my opinion changes and possibly re-review. Otherwise, I must give a largely negative review to this beer. (2,776 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -25.7%

I bought a bottle of this simply due to my experience the previous evening with the Hefe. I was stuck in something close to beer hell: Orlando. Well, this beer was barely better than nothing. The beer had a typical golden appearance, with a minimal head. The aroma was also virtually non-existent. The taste was more pils than weizen, with a slight sharpness that reminded me of sterling hops. The mouthfeel was average, and the beer was very well carbonated. The drinkability was a little less than average. I struggled to finish one, and I don't plan on buying another. I also don’t plan on returning to the home of the Giant Rat any time soon either.... (657 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

This beer pours a light yellow color with a huge billowing head that falls to about 3 fingers after a while, then to a finger hen letting it sit. The nose is slightly wheaty, slightly banana sweet, with a hint of lemony citrus. Nice. The flavor is right there, with a slight banana, slight lemon. The wheat is not quite so strong. The feel is the very light side of moderate. I find this beer to be a nice example of a kristal. Very crisp and refreshing. The banana sweetness is nice and the citrusy lemony is good as well. (523 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +7.2%

This beer poured into the glass a brilliant clear gold, with a thick full white head. It sure is a beautiful looking glass of beer. The clarity indicates the beer has been filtered, and this lack of yeast softens the rest of the beers character. The nose still has bits of clove, banana, and vanilla, but less than I detect in a beer mit weizen. The same is true for the taste. Cloves, banana, more vanilla, and just a hint of orange come across. But it is a much lighter flavor than the unfiltered. Light and smooth mouth feel, this is a very drinkable beer. I can’t image a better style to have on a warm summer evening. (623 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -0.3%

Got this one at the local beer store in their irregular fire sale- $1.99 marked down to $0.50. Never heard of it, but so what- time to try something different!

Pours a medium pale yellow with a nice fluffy head- very even and constantly fed by decent carbonation.

Aroma is fresh and clean, biscuity/malty, with perhaps a touch of lemon/citrus. Maybe something grassy? Nice, pleasant, not strong or wild.

Flavor is pretty decent. Follow though of malty, bready, with a more pronounced citrus notes, fairly dry (minimal sweetness).

Nice mouthfeel, not thin, I could see quaffing these on a warm day! (610 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a semi-clear yellow with a big white head that diminshes after some time. A nice looking beer.

There is a muted smell of clove and banana in the nose that just isn't assertive enough for my liking. I'm not sure if it's past its prime, but it's just not as aromatic as I would like it to be.

The taste is a little better than the aroma. This is what you would expect from the style--fruity and slightly spicy in the mouth with a touch of light malt. Nicely balanced and easy to drink.

This is a nice beer to consume. The mouthfeel has a touch of bite from the carbonation and it goes down very easily. The beer lingers in the aftertaste longer than I like.

This is a decent beer that would the right thjing to serve at a summer picnic. (752 characters)

Presentation: 1 Pint and 1 Fluid Ounce brown glass bottle. Labels look exactly like that in the BA Database Avatar. Has a best before date numerical system on the side of the back label, but it isn’t nicked so who knows when it was bottled or expires.

Appearance: Streamers fill the lovely clear golden body. Big white head forms easily and stays put at ½” thick after the pour. Nice thick lacing on the glass edges. Decent levels of carbonation when swirled aid the head retention.

Nose: Light hint of cloves and some mashed bananas punctuate the air above the brew. Some yeast fills the back end also.

Taste: Very much a reflection of the nose. Soft bananas and cloves, yet the yeast I get in the nose is barely detectable. Clean, crisp and very easy going. Spritzy sweet cider feel in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Delicate soft feel in the mouth. Light bodied but certainly never lacking. Conditioning is creamy at times.

Drinkability: Easily swigged, but the sweet cider feel takes the edge off of this one after a while.

Overall: The second of the Tucher brews that I have tried, both have been solid offerings. The Kristall Weizen is worth a try and is a good above average brew overall. (1,209 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a hefeweizen glass, Tucher's Kristall weizen had a clear golden color reminescent of ginger ale, large random clots of carbonation and a large fluffy white head that rather quickly dwindled down to a small cap.
The nose had a nice blend of fruitiness bringing to mind apples and a hint of banana with a more subtle spiciness and grainy malt notes. The taste had a lightly bready malt flavor up front that was closely followed up with a mild sweet apple taste similar to a Golden Delicious variety. Not much in the way of banana and clove flavors inherent in most German weizens and possessing minimal hop character throughout. The feel was light and had a moderate creaminess thanks to the fine carbonation.
Overall, a nice example of the style and another good effort by Tucher. Pretty sweet but not cloying. A nice thirst-quencher. (868 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours golden straw yellow, with an amber glow. Two inches of foam, which leave no lacing.
Sweet, grainy lager smell, with a nice rich background.
Balanced wheat flavors, with a sweet, caramel background. Some bitterness mid and back of the tongue, but fairly subtle.
Nice, creamy mouthfeel with a supportive carbonation.
Very good, drinkable beer, made to consumed by the liter in a German beer hall. It's the kind of beer that reminds you of why Germans are considered some of the best brewers out there. (509 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -35.6%

This was a clear yellow brew that had a good-sized head. I would have expected it to be cloudy, but it wasn't.

All I could smell in the nose was skunkiness. I thought perhaps it had gone bad, or they weren't hopping properly.

The taste was similarly skunky. Flat-out bad. Not that much bitterness, which would have slightly redeemed the aroma.
Their dunkel hefeweizen is one to try, but this one is one to be avoided. (424 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a clear golden brew.

Smell is mild spice and cloves, and a touch of coriander.

Taste is a bit tart and dry with a fair clove flavor to it. Nice non-sweet Hefe-Weissen flavor.

Mouthfeel is good.

A great beer for food, the dry tart flavor really cleans the palette. (281 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +19.5%

This was really a great wheat beer. It poured a golden colour and not as cloudy as your typical Bavarian wheat beer.
Pouring finished up with a lovely 1 and a half, almost two finger snow white head of really tiny, tightly knit bubbles.
The taste is very similar to most other German wheat beers, but it seemed to me to have just a tiny trace amount of banana, and a moderate amount of clove-like spice. There was a light to moderate amount of carbonation as well. This lack of carbonation combined with the great taste of this brew, as well as its smoothness, made it very easy to drink. It didn't seem tremendously filling. I feel I could down quite a few of these in a sitting. If you like German wheat beer, you should really give this one a go. (753 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

When poured, it was a clear medium yellow with a lot of white foam and lace on the glass from first sip to last gulp! The smell of spice filled the nose with the aroma of a yeasty nature. The taste, like the smell was of a spicy/yeasty flavor with a hint of cloves. Nice after taste, but lacking intensity on the flavor. (320 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Staw colored with a huge white cap of foam. Aroma is subtle, maly and fruity. Fewer fruity aromas and flavors, this beer stands on its malt. Typical wheat flavor but lacking the pronounced fruitiness. Bannana makes an understated appearance with a slightly spicy hop finish. Thin body. Great drinking beer if not very complex or interesting. (341 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is a clear case (no pun intended) where the kristal is nowhere near as good as the hefe. This one justs falls flat (almost literally). Thin, almost watery. Nowhere near the flavor of the hefe. Certainly refreshing, this would actually make a great step-up for a macro-drinker. (281 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -1.6%

Crystal clear, with constant streams of small bubbles rising up. Gold, with a huge marshmallowy white head. Leaves rings of lacing, on second thought they're too wide to be called rings, they're bands.
Flowers, wheat and banana in the aroma, light bready malt, fairly sweet.
Same notes in the taste with the addition of lemon peel, the banana is especially strong.
Light & Crisp, good hot weather session beer. (413 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pint bottle pours a clear, honey gold, with a billowy, two finger, white head that looks like frozen shaving cream. Nice, patchy lacing down the glass. Aroma is lemony citrus and wheat grain. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated and light to medium bodied. Taste is citrusy refreshing, with lemon in the starring role. Some noticeable yeastiness is present, and a moderate amount of spiciness comes through in the middle, and lasts to the finish. It all ends up dry and spicy, with a lemonrind aftertaste. Not the greatest in style, but I wouldn't turn one down. (556 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

Medium gold color, with a huge white head. Smells of fresh cut grass, malt and fruit. It tastes similar to the any of the euro lagers I have had in the past, only much beeter. Some of the grain and grass taste, but a lot more malty and flavorful. I like this one a lot, very good for picking up a random bottle at the beer store. (329 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -1.1%

Appearance – Light yellow and delicately clear in color with a huge, foaming weizen head that showed good retention.

Smell – This one has a light but wonderful wheat aroma that really hits the mark. It was a pleasure to smell.

Taste – Very light and yeasty in accordance with the style. Everything kind of fell apart at the end, though. This weizen didn’t have much of a finish, but the body itself was delicious.

Mouthfeel – Light-bodied with some light but very fluffy carbonation. This felt like a typical Kristal Weizen in the mouth.

Drinkability – This made for a great in-between-meal snack. (615 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Bright golden hue, thick/soapy head, decent retention. Grainy, malty on the nose, although a bit faint. Solid and crisp off the cuff; sweet, tender malty flavors, massive carbonation, yet not overpowering. Decent flavoring via wheat, bananas, and some cloves. Citrus notes towards the end, a clean palate to boot. Flavoring somewhat subdued, yet smooth and ever so slick - awesome! (381 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours a clear golden pale, huge white head that mosty lasts, leaves good lacing. Lot's of tiny bubbled carbonation present in the body. Aroma is soft, mostly citric (lemon/lemon peel), some banana. Flavor is sour, citric, light amounts of banana. Thin mouthfeel, very bubbly (maybe even "spritzy"). Definately takes a back seat to the Helles Hefe, IMO. (352 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

A great-big, white, fine, thick head. Good. Huge clumpy lacing. Nice. Clear, deep gold beer. This beer definitely has the look. What an interesting nose: grains, flowers, nuts. A tangy, almost lagery front turns sweet and fruity through the middle. Tangy, zingy finish. This is a good, fresh, tangy beer. (304 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -12.3%

Really not quite sure what to make of this one. I had it on tap in a local pub over a basic hamburger. Pretty decent, yet typical Weizen look to it. Almost tossed in the traditional lemon, but then I look a sniff. If I went by smell alone, I'd swear this was some kind of fruit juice. The taste was a little more bland than I really would have liked, but still quite drinkable.

A solid Weizen. I've had better, but I've also had much worse. Good for if you're not looking for something too heavy. (499 characters)

Bright clear golden color with a nice white head and decent carbonation. Light banana-clove aroma and flavor, Light bodied and airy.

Light classic Bavarian Hefe-weizen but I prefer the unfiltered and dark versions they make.

Per label: Since 1672

Date(?): 10/02
Tasted: 08/09/03

($1.99 / 16 oz.) (308 characters)

Tucher Kristall Weizen from Brauerei Tucher Brau