Tucher Kristall Weizen - Brauerei Tucher Brau

Tucher Kristall WeizenTucher Kristall Weizen

Brauerei Tucher Brau visit their website
Germany

Kristalweizen |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-16-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tucher Kristall Weizen Alström Bros

16.9 oz brown bottle purchased at Greens in Columbia, SC. Tucher Kristall Weizen pours a nice slightly cloudy golden color with a billowy, thick white head. Aroma is of banana and cloves with some yeastiness as expected. Crisp and clean with the usual clove and banana flavors present and just enough hop bitterness to let you know they are there. My first kristal weizen and definately not my last.

clemtig76, Feb 12, 2007
3.4/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I prefer a 'whiter' Krystal but this hits the marks for style anyway.
Crystal clear yellow brew with a massive white head atop the glass that melts slowly to slightly sticky lacing.
Aromas are lightly bready...lightly lemon...lightly banana.
Creamy and crisp mouthfeel.
Taste is only lightly sweet with nice peppery wheat spices and a touch of lemon.
Lingering powdery wheat taste.

IntriqKen, Feb 02, 2007
3.53/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Stunningly clear, pale gold color. Good head and exceptional lacing.

Smell: Hefe-weizen like aromas, as expected. Banana, cloves, bubble gum. Definitely toned down a bit from the filtering, however.

Taste: Not expecting a whole lot of flavor just judging from the appearance (very clear and light). There is flavor, however - like a hefeweizen, but more subdued. A hint of tartness as well, reminiscent of cider.

Mouthfeel: Fairly light, almost watery. Carbonation is fine. I wasn't the only one to comment on the too light mouthfeel when sampling.

Drinkability: On the whole, I think I prefer Erdinger's kristal weizen. Accessible, for sure. A touch disappointing, though maybe I'm just not a fan of the style.

hunteraw, Jan 28, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

A- 1 inch head, a golden look with some activity

S- A very nice crisp citrus nose.

T- Crisp and fruity with slight sweet and bitter notes.

M- Very active almost too much where it starts to overwhelm the flavors

D- Light and easy these would go down very quick.

beckje01, Dec 04, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -0.8%

Tucher Kristall Weizen
Half Liter bottle
Unknown bottling (notched 1 and 8 in the third segment, 333 cap citing their 1672-2005 anniversary)

Poured a clear dark yellow with a huge fully lasting frothy white head with good lacing and massive carbonation.

Smelt of moderate cloves and bananas, light bread, some sweat.

Taste was upfront moderate sweet spicy bananas and grain followed by a moderate sweet cookie and bitter pungent mold finish of average length. Palate was light bodied, watery, fizzy and lightly astringent.

Overall, I never had this style before, but everything seems to be on par with what I've read. The yeasty finish is killer.

xav33, Nov 13, 2006
3.78/5  rDev +0.5%

Tucher Kristall Weizen pours a nice golden color with a thick white head from a brown one pint, one ounce bottle. Aroma is banana and cloves as expected. Quite crisp, clove and banana are present, as are some hops toward the end. Also seems to be a somewhat metallic taste too, although its not really too distracting. Pretty good, worth a try for sure.

Drew966, Jul 21, 2006
3.13/5  rDev -16.8%

Dryish wheat beer from Nurnberg that loses some points in aroma and complexity to its 'big' counterparts like Schneider or Franziskaner.

Color is pale, crown smaller than average, spritzy nose, slender body, taste crisp and refreshing, bitter-sour finish.

Yeah, it's dry, but we expect richer taste from Bavarian Weizen.

ernie, Jun 09, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours into a weizen glass with the typical large head of a wheat beer. Clear straw yellow with rising champagne-esque carbonation. A standard yeast/low hops aroma. Yet this is quite fruity even though the yeasts that gave that flavor are long gone. Quite rerfeshing.

jvdineen, Jun 06, 2006
3.28/5  rDev -12.8%

You cannot top that for a Weizen pour. Dark gold golden with a large, rocky head that spills over the top of the glass.

Smells of light wheat spice and a bit of skunk, along with little hints of fruit.

Tastes like it smells. Slight hints of wheat mostly overpowered by a skunk taste and a pea gravel finish. Earthy, not horrible.

A big let down after the pour.

mynie, Apr 29, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

appearance: Nice, big off white head recedes slowly. The beer is pale golden in color.

smell: Grassy hops, old vegetables, wheat, white bread. Not bad but a little off.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is towards the lower end of the high range, and the body is light.

taste: Wheaty with a muddy, old vegetable taste. Some sulfurs and a light noble hop flavor and taste.

drinkability: Easy to drink but not special in any way, and a little off.

blackie, Apr 15, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

I found this to pour very well. It is very "clean" for a Weizen (guess that's why they call it "Kristall"). It does have a fruity...almost sweet smell. I like the overall taste, but it is not quite as flavorable as other Weiss beers... like most Hefe's. I don't know if that has to do with the clear nature? The mouthfeel is good, it's very light and crisp. It goes down smooth. I find the drinkability to be very high. This is a lighter beer, not filling. I think this would be a great beer to have on a hot summer day. Overall, I find other Weiss beers/ Weizens to have more flavor, but this is still a very good beer.

eb003, Feb 05, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance is darker shade of gold with a thick white head. The head disipated quickly and left a small foamy layer on the top.

Smell is yeasty. Reminisent of some Belgian yeast strains I've smelled.

Tatste is quite yeasty as well. Soft, bread like with notes of honey. Also a bit flowery.

Mouthfeel is crisp. Bubbles are a bit sharp.

Drinkabilty is good. Very subtle flavors but by no means flavorless.

Ieatlambfries, Jan 17, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

Spotless, ripe banana peel with the occasional rising bubble. The head was massive initially, thanks to my spirited pour, and is taking its sweet time deflating. The bone white crown has the slightest toasty tint, like a marshmallow held over a campfire for a moment or two. I like the look because it's simple, clean and classy.

This is one of the more hefe weizen-like kristal weizen noses that I've run across. By that I mean that banana and clove are more prominent than is typical for the style. As far as I'm concerned, the more of those particular esters, the better. The nose has a solidity and a quality about it that makes me think the flavor will be to my liking.

Good call. Kristall Weizen is one of the best beers of this style that I've ever had. The sturdy firmness of the barley malt dovetails beautifully with the softness of the wheat malt. There's a perfect amount of sweetness as well. While hops are scarce, they provide just the right amount of countering bitterness.

Yeast esters are subdued on the palate. That's to be expected since they aren't allowed in the final product. Again, though, there's more flavor than was anticipated. Banana probably supercedes clove, but neither one is rampant. My (hefe) weizen banan-o-meter score is 1.5/5.0. Even without the yeast, kristal weizens of this caliber are infinitely preferable to the vast majority of American pale wheat ales.

The mouthfeel is gorgeous. Although it struggles to reach medium, it makes use of every last... whatever the unit of measurement for mouthfeels is. It's wispily silky, is exquisitely carbonated and is the unqualified highlight of this entire experience. Drinkability must be on the high side since the pint bottle is empty and my glass is down to the last swallow or two.

I continue to be impressed by Brauerei Tucher Brau. I had despaired of ever finding a version of the krystal weizen style that appeals to me, but this one most certainly does. I'll still grab a quality hefe weizen every time, but it's nice to know that if I ever develop a yeast sensitivity, there's a wonderful beer available that is a more than worthy substitute.

BuckeyeNation, Oct 19, 2005
3.7/5  rDev -1.6%

Starting this baby off with a solid 4.5 on appearance. How can it improve? Big rocky head that maintains vigorously, sticky lacing. Highly filtered and Kristall clear with an off orange hue. NICE!!!

Banana is the theme as usual but this one is very subtle and grains, some light citrus fruits have an impact as well.

Tasted Medium rare banana bread. A level of bitterness seeps its way into the drink towards the end. It just rolls around perfectly on the palate. Mild carbonation but present enough to get the job done. I was in the mood for another tall bottle of this as soon as I finished so its gotta have some drinkability. Pleasantly surprised.

DogFood11, Oct 08, 2005
2.35/5  rDev -37.5%

I am a great fan of Hefe Weizen beers, and was interested in trying this as it seems to be a popular selling bottled beer in the States (being a UK visitor) But never seen it in the UK.

Sorry to have to say, that this must be - for me anyhow - the most disappointing Hefe Weizen I have ever tasted. Very pale colour, but filtered and thus clean, has the aroma of a Hefe Weizen but much less pronounced than usual. Taste is extremely bland, only a pale reflection of what a good Hefe Weizen can be, very thin and watered down. I can only discribe it as though its a 'lite' or 'diet' version of a true Hefe beer! Rather like drinking Minute Maid Lemonade in comparsion to their Lite Diet version of Lemonade....ugh....tasteless and thin!

Being light in texture it is easy to drink, but being so bland its just boring.

I was really surprised, as I find German beers are usually so very good, but sorry, this is a very disappointing. Give me Andechs, Schneider, Wiehenstephener, Weltenburger any day!!

John W (Bham UK)

JohnW, Aug 17, 2005
3.78/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a clear golden body with a frothy whity head that leaves lacing all over the glass

Smell: Vague hints of banana, clove and yeast

Taste: Spicy clove touches highlight the banana flavor right from the start; the finish is crisp

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with good carbonation

Drinkability: A nice example of the style if this is the type of thing you like

brentk56, Aug 02, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +14.4%

Rather stylish silver label. 500 ml bottle.

The color of it is deep brassy orange, clear and bright. A sudsy, sticky head lasts and laces the glass. The nose is banana bread, or stewed bananas, an earthier impression, along with melon and a peppery hop tinge. And then earthy, but clean, malt. Yeah, it's hard to describe.

The first sip brings a mineral tang, a mild grassy hop bite, the bananas and melons, then sweet, round malt and grain, leading to a drying finish with a mildly bitter aftertaste. It's delicious. Very creamy and smooth in the mouth, lots of effervescence, everything balanced and working together.

I think I have found a favorite weizen. I usually go for the cloudy, funky ones, but filtered or not, this one has what I want. Must keep this in stock in the fridge.

horndecker, Jun 18, 2005
2.78/5  rDev -26.1%

Purchased from Great Spirits, Huntsville, AL.

I'm a big fan of the Hefe-Weizen style (although as I recall I didn't much care for the Tucher), and my local liquor store was carrying these in 16-oz singles, so I bought one of these and one of the Dunkel-Weiss for tasting purposes. Maybe most of my enjoyment of the Hefe style comes from the yeast, because I found this beer so bland as to be almost undrinkable.

Appearance threw me a bit (my first Kristal Weizen), because with a Weizen I expect a cloudy, dark-yellow look. I knew that a Kristal wouldn't be the same way, but I was amazed at the light yellow clarity of the brew. I could probably have read newsprint straight through it. Used a standard Weizen glass for the tasting, like any other Weiss it produced a nice thick foamy head that almost overwhelmed the glass, although I found that it dissipated much more quickly than the Hefes I've tasted.

The smell drew me in quite nicely -- a subdued but everpresent mix of citrusy aromas and creamy fruitiness. Sniffing this brew, even as the beer went on and the head started to dissipate, was my favorite experience involved with this brew.

Unfortunately, the taste threw me for a loop. Perhaps the yeast in most Hefes keeps the flavor inside, because this beer very quickly disappointed me in its lack of flavor. None of the cloves or citrus taste that I generally expect from a good Weizen; this beer really didn't taste like much of anything. Even swishing it in my mouth and letting the foam build didn't really add anything to the taste. Color me disappointed.

Mouthfeel was a bit better. The beer did have a nice foamy aftertaste, and despite the watery consistency, I found it pleasurable and easy as far as the texture was concerned. Bittnerness was low, and the beer finished nicely even if it wasn't too impressive taste-wise.

It's a pretty drinkable beer, I'd have to say, despite what I'd consider a substandard taste. I might think that this would be a "gateway" beer for people who only drink adjunct lagers, but really you'd miss out on all the flavors of a good hefe with this. My overall impression was kinda, "eh," but I think that the beer isn't really bad enough that I couldn't drink a couple if I had them readily available.

I worried at first that I might have gotten a bad bottle, as Great Spirits doesn't seem to do a lot of business in singles, but I couldn't taste any skunk to this beer and I think that it tasted the way it was supposed to taste -- I think I just didn't care for it. If I have the opportunity to try a few more Kristals in the coming weeks (my liquor store only carries this one), I will see if my opinion changes and possibly re-review. Otherwise, I must give a largely negative review to this beer.

danielharper, May 09, 2005
2.8/5  rDev -25.5%

I bought a bottle of this simply due to my experience the previous evening with the Hefe. I was stuck in something close to beer hell: Orlando. Well, this beer was barely better than nothing. The beer had a typical golden appearance, with a minimal head. The aroma was also virtually non-existent. The taste was more pils than weizen, with a slight sharpness that reminded me of sterling hops. The mouthfeel was average, and the beer was very well carbonated. The drinkability was a little less than average. I struggled to finish one, and I don't plan on buying another. I also don’t plan on returning to the home of the Giant Rat any time soon either....

aaronh, Mar 28, 2005
3.83/5  rDev +1.9%

This beer pours a light yellow color with a huge billowing head that falls to about 3 fingers after a while, then to a finger hen letting it sit. The nose is slightly wheaty, slightly banana sweet, with a hint of lemony citrus. Nice. The flavor is right there, with a slight banana, slight lemon. The wheat is not quite so strong. The feel is the very light side of moderate. I find this beer to be a nice example of a kristal. Very crisp and refreshing. The banana sweetness is nice and the citrusy lemony is good as well.

kmpitz2, Mar 06, 2005
4.03/5  rDev +7.2%

This beer poured into the glass a brilliant clear gold, with a thick full white head. It sure is a beautiful looking glass of beer. The clarity indicates the beer has been filtered, and this lack of yeast softens the rest of the beers character. The nose still has bits of clove, banana, and vanilla, but less than I detect in a beer mit weizen. The same is true for the taste. Cloves, banana, more vanilla, and just a hint of orange come across. But it is a much lighter flavor than the unfiltered. Light and smooth mouth feel, this is a very drinkable beer. I can’t image a better style to have on a warm summer evening.

carln26, Feb 28, 2005
3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

Got this one at the local beer store in their irregular fire sale- $1.99 marked down to $0.50. Never heard of it, but so what- time to try something different!

Pours a medium pale yellow with a nice fluffy head- very even and constantly fed by decent carbonation.

Aroma is fresh and clean, biscuity/malty, with perhaps a touch of lemon/citrus. Maybe something grassy? Nice, pleasant, not strong or wild.

Flavor is pretty decent. Follow though of malty, bready, with a more pronounced citrus notes, fairly dry (minimal sweetness).

Nice mouthfeel, not thin, I could see quaffing these on a warm day!

Dukeofearl, Feb 18, 2005
3.38/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a semi-clear yellow with a big white head that diminshes after some time. A nice looking beer.

There is a muted smell of clove and banana in the nose that just isn't assertive enough for my liking. I'm not sure if it's past its prime, but it's just not as aromatic as I would like it to be.

The taste is a little better than the aroma. This is what you would expect from the style--fruity and slightly spicy in the mouth with a touch of light malt. Nicely balanced and easy to drink.

This is a nice beer to consume. The mouthfeel has a touch of bite from the carbonation and it goes down very easily. The beer lingers in the aftertaste longer than I like.

This is a decent beer that would the right thjing to serve at a summer picnic.

filabrazilia, Jan 23, 2005

Presentation: 1 Pint and 1 Fluid Ounce brown glass bottle. Labels look exactly like that in the BA Database Avatar. Has a best before date numerical system on the side of the back label, but it isn’t nicked so who knows when it was bottled or expires.

Appearance: Streamers fill the lovely clear golden body. Big white head forms easily and stays put at ½” thick after the pour. Nice thick lacing on the glass edges. Decent levels of carbonation when swirled aid the head retention.

Nose: Light hint of cloves and some mashed bananas punctuate the air above the brew. Some yeast fills the back end also.

Taste: Very much a reflection of the nose. Soft bananas and cloves, yet the yeast I get in the nose is barely detectable. Clean, crisp and very easy going. Spritzy sweet cider feel in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Delicate soft feel in the mouth. Light bodied but certainly never lacking. Conditioning is creamy at times.

Drinkability: Easily swigged, but the sweet cider feel takes the edge off of this one after a while.

Overall: The second of the Tucher brews that I have tried, both have been solid offerings. The Kristall Weizen is worth a try and is a good above average brew overall.

TheLongBeachBum, Jan 03, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a hefeweizen glass, Tucher's Kristall weizen had a clear golden color reminescent of ginger ale, large random clots of carbonation and a large fluffy white head that rather quickly dwindled down to a small cap.
The nose had a nice blend of fruitiness bringing to mind apples and a hint of banana with a more subtle spiciness and grainy malt notes. The taste had a lightly bready malt flavor up front that was closely followed up with a mild sweet apple taste similar to a Golden Delicious variety. Not much in the way of banana and clove flavors inherent in most German weizens and possessing minimal hop character throughout. The feel was light and had a moderate creaminess thanks to the fine carbonation.
Overall, a nice example of the style and another good effort by Tucher. Pretty sweet but not cloying. A nice thirst-quencher.

Boilermaker88, Dec 07, 2004