Motor City Winter Ale - Motor City Brewing Works

Motor City Winter Ale
No picture uploaded.

Motor City Brewing Works visit their website

American Barleywine |  8.80% ABV

(Beer added by: StoutHunter on 01-21-2014)
3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

rkf1976, Feb 09, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

marcb105, Feb 01, 2014
3.2/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I picked up a bottle of Motor City's Winter Ale that I got in their new variety pack a couple weeks ago for $20 at The Lager Mill. This beer caught my eye because it says it's brewed with Spruce tips, at first I assumed it would be a lighter ale but once I looked at the back of label I found out it's an 8.8% Barleywine, the idea of a Barleywine brewed with spruce tips intrigues me, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Release. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label isn't that great looking it's just the typical Motor City Brewing emblem with a very dark green background, it's not that eye catching. It poured a nice fairly hazy burnt orange color that took on more of caramel color when held to the light with a fingers worth of off white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking, beer, I thought the color was pretty nice.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that has a very slight brown sugar like aroma to it followed by a nice fruity aroma, there's some nice dark fruit aromas but there's also some apple and white grape like aromas. Up next comes a light piney aroma that must be from the spruce tips and it's followed by some sweet malts and light caramel malt aromas with a noticeable alcohol aroma that isn't too boozy. This was a decent smelling beer, but it didn't have all the Barleywine aspects that I look for and it seemed a little simple.

T- The taste seems to be a little different from the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart a pretty generic grainy flavor and toasted malt flavor with a light caramel malt like flavor in the background. In the middle there's an earthy and very light piney flavor that is barely noticeable and it must be from the spruce tips. Up next comes a pretty light fruit flavor with no single fruit sticking out the most with a noticeable amount of alcohol showing up, but it's not boozy. On the finish there's a lighter amount of medium bitterness with a generic malt aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but it wasn't very Barleywine like and the spruce tips were hardly noticeable.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, a little cirsp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is ok, it's fairly smooth, but it isn't very true to style.

I thought this beer was just ok and I didn't think it was a good example of a American Barleywine, it didn't have most of the things that I look for in the style and I don't really know what style to place this as, but it does remind of stronger amber ale I once I had. I also thought that the Spruce Tips didn't really add anything to this beer. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, clean, crisp and not filling, but the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention, I got bored with it pretty fast and one is enough for me, I have no urge to drink another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it wasn't bad and I thought the color was pretty nice. What I liked the least about this beer was that the spruce tips barely showed up and that it wasn't very Barleywine like, I would say it's pretty close to false advertising. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I didn't really enjoy it and I wouldn't recommend it. All in all I wasn't feeling this beer, it was pretty bland and it wasn't at all what I expected from a Barleywine style ale brewed with Spruce Tips. This isn't my least favorite beer from Motor City, but it's a little close and so far I still think they need to stick with the English styles since those are their only beers that I enjoy. Better luck next time guys, this beer needs some major work or just a name change all together, either way it wasn't that great.

StoutHunter, Jan 21, 2014
Motor City Winter Ale from Motor City Brewing Works
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.