Motor City Brewing Ghettoblaster - Motor City Brewing Works

Beer added by: Sixpack595 on 02-22-2003

Ratings: 164 | Reviews: 59
Reviews by SportsandJorts:
3.16/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance: brownish orange color. good clarity, just a slight haze to it. almost no head with just a little bit of an off white lacing.

Smell: toasty pale malts. almost smells like its exclusively maris otter malt. very slight fruitiness.

Taste: toasty to nutty pale malts. just a touch of dark fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: light. just a hinge of a metallic taste.

Overall: to me this style is supposed to be a light beer that is relatively packed with taste. this one isn't nearly as flavorful as the style allows, the flavor isn't too bad just way to weak. In a blind tasting of 4 dark mild (ghettoblaster, new castle cabbie, short's earl or brixom and a homebrew, it placed last.)

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at the Park Bar in Detroit. Nice looking, dark-copper color with a decent sized head, although not much lacing was left on the glass at the end. The smell has a lot going on that can be hard to pin-point: earthy, malts, burnt grains, light citrus, a touch of floral hops. The taste, much like the smell would lead on, is slightly sweet with a nice mix of malts and grains. Hops are present, but very faint (maybe overpowered by the grain). Alcohol taste is nearly non-existant, making this a decent session beer. Fairly thin with medium carbonation and a very slight stickiness.

A nice product from Motor City Brewing, Ghettoblaster makes for a very nice session beer when you plan on drinking a bit.

2.97/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This interestingly named beer looks the part of a traditional dark mild, sort of a reddish-brown that only achieves complete clarity when held to the light, but only because of its dark color. The head is short-lived and spritzy, dying down before it has a chance to form more than a small island that remains. It manages sub-par spotting.
It smells better than I might think looking at it. Esters are spicy and fruity foremost with the faintest hint of leaf along with a little bit of earth and some creamier sweetness, with a metallic note underlying.
The taste underwhelms, as it just seems to go flat and lose much of what the nose received. It ends up being flat grains with slight spicing and a watery breadiness. It's disappointing after a nice smell. Leaf sneaks weakly into the finish, and the metallic note flashes in and out.
The feel is also flat. There's a barely-medium body, but both smoothness and crispness are fairly weak. It's not that there isn't crispness, but it's barely holding on the whole way through. This is where either something's wrong or the brewer determined that lighter body meant thin and watery. It's not dead, but it's dying.

4.3/5  rDev +27.6%

Open this beer, and you can hear the collective groan of every single malt liquor marketer as they try to rationalize how the absolute perfect name fell through their hands and in to the lap -of all things - an English-styled Mild Ale.

It pours amber, glinting slightly more orange. Mildly smogged. The head is compact- merely a skim of beige - but it endures the duration.
Nose of lemongrass, toffee, pears, and red grapes.
Begins full of a sweet graininess that touches upon caramel before fleeting to sharper fruit tones. Apple is suggested, red and slightly tart. Grape again, then pear. All carrying notions of underripe acidity. Mellows towards the middle with a trace of caramelized brown-sugar. Woody near the close, traced especially with oak and maple. Fruitiness lingers throughout and conjoins the muscular lemon-oil hop bitters.
Light bodied, firm in feel and structure. This has a good deal of sharpness, and is far more abrupt than most of its UK counterparts, with much more emphasis on the citric colors of hops. But this simply oozes substance and depth.
A great beer regardless of its misnomer.

2.53/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Dark brown with slight head, faint aroma, very watery as their lineup tended to be this night. Understated carbonation. Drinkable and a session ale. Taste is mostly in the malt profile, with chocolate malt and caramel. Could have been a cask ale in a blind tasting. Nothing exceptional.

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has an iced tea color with a 1/2 inch head that disappeared quickly. Smell is of malts, bready. Taste is malts, nutty, grains, a touch of caramel. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

3.36/5  rDev -0.3%

A-light brownish amber w/no head despite increasingly aggressive pour. I had this one on tap the other day w/a nice head, so this seems to be limited to this bottle.

S-Light slightly sweet toasted malt and faint hops. Simple and refreshing.

T-Same as smell, w/slight hint of applesauce, raisin, grain, and faint English hop finish.

M-Silky body let down by inadequate carbonation, but otherwise balance is even and harmonious.

D-Good and a perfect session beer. I used to drink this about 9 years ago, and was looking forward to finally rating it, but this bottle my bro saved me is nowhere near as good as the on-tap version I had the other day, or as in my memory.

3.16/5  rDev -6.2%

Much thanks for getting this bottle in my hands. I had never heard of it, but shall never forget its name now! Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 02/02/2009.

The pour was very nice, rich looking medium brown with a mild cloudiness about it. Rich color here with a nice head of off white which hung around for a few moments before settling down into a thin film. The aroma was light, medium fruit notes, apricot maybe with a hint of some light spice and tons of grain. More of the same on the taste as I run through on this one. The flavor was a bit lacking for me. Nice malt profile with a light ouch of fruit and spice, but not nearly strong enough of a profile to really get me to enjoy it. Smooth, mellow carbonation and a low abv made it nice and and drinkable, though a bit dull. Overall with a name like this I expect alot more, but a decent beer none the less.

Tastes like dirty, wet socks.

3.77/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I got a bottle of Motor City Brewing's Ghettoblaster in their new variety pack for $20 at The Lager Mill. I've seen this beer around many times, but I don't think I've ever had it and it's been a little while since I've had an English Dark Mild Ale, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a new school tattoo look to it and I like the combination of an engine and a boombox and I think the combination of name and the label makes it fairly eye catching. It poured a nice clear amber color that took on a ruby copper color when held to the light with two fingers worth of off white head that died died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some pretty nice patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, It looks true to style and I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of malts being the first to show up and they impart a nice pale malt, biscuity, toasted malts and light caramel like aromas with a really slight nutty aroma. Up next comes a little bit of fruity yeast followed by some earthy, grassy, and slight herbal hop aromas. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, I have no complaints.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by loads of malts that impart a very grainy, pale malt, toasted malt, light caramel and biscuit like flavors that are a pretty good combination and the nutty aspect seems to be a little stronger than it was in the aroma. Up next comes a very light amount of fruity yeast that is barely noticeable and there's also a doughy flavor in the background. On the finish there's a pretty light amount of hops that impart a pretty light earthy and herbal hop flavor with a pretty low amount of bitterness with a very grainy and toasted malt like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer and I think it's fairly true to style.

M- Smooth, clean, a little crisp, slightly creamy, medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example and a pretty true to style example of an English Dark Mild Ale, I don't have a ton of experience with this style, but this beer tastes pretty much just how I remember a good English Dark Mild Ale tasting and I think Motor City Brewing did a good job at representing the style. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, a little crisp, not filling and the taste did a good job of holding my attention, I could see myself drinking more than a few of these, I think it's pretty sessionable and I think this would make for a good beer to pair a meal with. What I like the most about this beer was how true to style it is, it's just a good example of the style and it's just what I look for in an English Dark Mild Ale and I don't see many of those. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there nothing that I dislike or would change, it's fine just the way it is. I would buy this beer again and I'll try and I remember to pick up a six pack next time I go on a beer run. I would recommend this beer to just about anyone, I think it's really accessible. All in all I was little impressed with this beer, I was a little let down with their Lager but this beer turned out to be pretty good and I'm starting to think that the English Ales are what this brewery specializes in. I think this beer is on the same level as their Nut Brown Ale. Good job guys, I enjoyed this one, keep up the good work.

Motor city brew works goes all the way in the perfection of this beer. All of the flavor of a good English ale but not too heavy. By far one of the best beers I've ever had. If you like new castle, you will love this beer. A must try when visiting midtown Detroit.

2.88/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours clear amber in color with bubbles racing up the brew to a big 2 finger foamy off white head that faded quickly and looked like soap after a bubble bath with a foamy layer on top, leaving decent lacing as it went down.

Smells very malty and grainy, with light caramel, husk, grass, light citrus hops, crackers and herbs or earthy tones; the aroma was sweet and like a summer afternoon after mowing the lawn - a very timid nose overall.

Tastes like sweet malt, roasted grains, light caramel, light citrus hops, cardboard or wet bread, grass, biscuit, fruit and/or honey, and some funky yeast. This flavor would make for a great session beer if this wasn't so unbalanced, malty and boring.

Mouthfeel is very light and crisp with mild carbonation, a very light body and a slightly bitter finish that is clean.

A light overall feel, this beer is easy to pound, just not very tasty. It was just too blah to me, so I would skip it in a bar, but I will pound the rest of the 6 pack in one sitting.

3.42/5  rDev +1.5%

12 oz. bottle picked up as a single in Mackinaw City; there is some sort of code or date stamped on the bottle, but it is sort of illegible (bottled in Feb 2014 is my best guess). Served slightly chilled.

Pours a cloudy copper-orange colour, topped with one finger of loose, off-white froth that quickly fades away. A bubbly collar and film are the only remnants. The aroma is mild and malty; caramel, brown sugar, toasted nuts, roasted grains and biscuity sweetness come through nicely, with a slightly fruity, earthy ale yeast vibe.

Very straightforward, approachable flavour. Toffee, bready malts and some nutty, toasted notes are the first things I pick out, followed by a light hint of plummy fruitiness. Mildly roasty toward the finish, with an earthy, very slight bitterness that sews things up nicely. Light-bodied, with moderate carbonation that gives this brew a somewhat crisp, lively mouthfeel for the style. Very easy to drink, and its balanced nature should make this one a relative crowd-pleaser, as far as English-style session ales go.

Final Grade: 3.42, a B-. Ghettoblaster is a passable English-style dark ale, but I'll add an asterisk to that because I have a feeling this bottle is getting a little old. This is the sort of beer that both craft beer fans and those who have never tried anything fancier than Guinness Draught should be able to enjoy, or at least tolerate. I will need to try this on tap some time to see if that adjusts my perspective at all, but for now I'd say this one is worth a look.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

This beer was my beer of choice for the three years that I lived in the Cass corrider of Detroit. The Microbrew only being two blocks away made it easy to acquire and with a name like ghettoblaster it is hard to pass it up. The beer pours a dark with little head. The smells are subtle with a clean taste. While this is not an award winning beer it goes down very easy and does not take long to polish of a couple of pitchers with your freinds.

Appearance: No "smoke" on opening. Brown. Cloudy. 1/8" off-white head, fades quickly. Proper for style, but sediment cloudiness is not appropriate. Maybe my fault for disturbing sediment on the pour.

Aroma: Funky, malty, sour, yeasty, "dirty" smell. Needs to warm up. Sour milk. After it warms: slightly sweet, slightly roasty, malty, slightly sour.

Taste: Clean, slightly tart. Little flavor; needs to warm up. Improves as it warms. Slightly sour, ever so slightly roasty, bitter, earthy finish. Clean finish. Is this biscuity?

Mouthfeel: Highly effervescent. Light.

Overall: Don't bother with this until it's almost room temperature. nice, but I have had other English Ales I would buy first.

2.1/5  rDev -37.7%

Tried once, had a pretty foul smell which really ruined it for me. Not sure if this was just a bad keg or intentional

3.36/5  rDev -0.3%

Had this on tap at Foran's during a recent trip to Detroit. When you're from out of town, it's hard to resist a beer with such a unique name.

Appearance: Pours a ruby brown color with a short, white skim of a head that leaves behind pretty good lacing. The liquid is clear, and very little carbonation is visible.

Smell: The smell is very subtle, nearly undetectable, possibly thanks to the quickly dissipating head. There are some light grains and floral hops just barely escaping in the nose.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The feel is very flat and watery with only the slightest creaminess from the low carbonation. I definitely would like to see a little more in this style - not tons, but just a bit more. The impression of the feel is followed by the taste - light, barely bitter floral hops and a strong bready malt aftertaste.

Drinkability: Very high - if I liked the feel more, I'd probably give it a 5. Very easy to drink, especially with food.

3.9/5  rDev +15.7%

Appearance is a cloudy off-yellow with off-white head and decent lacing.

Nose is mild hops, lemon candy, and light grain.

Taste is like a mild Scotch ale. It lacks the dully sour punch, but has the same essence. There is also some pleasant graininess.

Mouthfeel is very smooth and light; excellent drinkability.

Overall, this is a great brew to mindfully knock back at a bowling alley or somewhere else where you only want to minimally think about what you are drinking.

3.3/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance from the bottle is a very dark amber , with a white biscuity head

Smell - not getting much hops , smells like bread crust , biscuits, a hint of sweetness after it warmed in my snifter, first poured smell was nonexistent and cold had more of a yeast smell.

Taste. Not sure what to expect from this style to be honest. it has A slight taste of that from a Bock ,but more biscuit and more of bread type flavor profile Some earthiness flavor similar to a fresh uncooked mushroom. Something going on in the finish like a soap and slight pepper bite from the yeast?

Mouth feel , thin light , refreshing, but that soap flavor in the end sticks around to long for my liking

Overall not bad, I received it for free and have seen it on shelves recently and have been wanting to try it for some time. After tasting it now I would recommend trying it once, I would not buy this though after this review. Something about that flavor on the end of the taste just is not to my liking, It reminds me of drinking Malt Licky sort of ?

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

We pour a brew of rich amber honey coloring into our Great Lakes pint glasses. It holds a one and a half finger tall head of tan, soapy bubbles, showing okay retention. Spots of lacing are left as this goes, but these are minimal. No haze or sediment is noted, and carbonation appears to be moderately active. The aroma gives notes of rich roasted malts, light chocolate and hazelnut essence, mocha coffee bean fumes, raw honey, oat grit and dust, soft pseudo-woodiness, damp paper towels, tin foil, and chalky yeasted breadiness. Our first impression is that the flavoring is quite simple, but nicely robust and inclusive roast and toast characteristic of the style. As we sip, the flavoring opens with wheat, roasty coffee and chocolate malts, dried dog food nibbles, carrot and celery vegetals, general yeastiness, tins and aluminums, lemony sours, and Tootsie pop sugars. The middle peaks with milk chocolate brownie sugars, lactic and vinegar sours, dirty English brown malts, distant grassy hops, oily caramel sugars, faint molasses bite, phenolic plastics, raw oat, and cereal grain. The end washes through with a definitive cleansing bowl of grassy hop bite, thin caramel and burnt coffee maltiness, basement mustiness, rich English brown malt sours, rubbers and unworked leathers, toffee sugars, and synthetic vanilla and hazelnut coffee extracts. The aftertaste breathes of cheap and stale chocolate cake icing, bittering roast of coffee malts, biting grassy and herbal hop rumbles, cheddar cheese mustiness, continued tin, brown bread grit, cold plum pudding, and beet vegetals. The body is lightly medium, and the carbonation is light to medium. Each sip gives thin cream, froth, slurp, smack, or glug, but coats the mouth fully, and gives it a bit of a wandering pucker. The palate is left lightly dried, with mild astringency to boot. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks decently enough.

Overall, the best thing about this beverage is its ease of drinkability, in line with its stylistic guidelines. It is certainly not the most exciting beer when it comes to flavor or aroma, as it has that dirty, dog food type of bite. Regardless, there is enough flavor and presentation to present the drinker with at least a unique style of beer. It goes down without complaint, and is nice for someone looking for an “in between” sipper that isn’t too dark, but isn’t too light. As always we’re excited to try a local brewery for the first time, and again, are super happy that this is a bizarre, underrepresented style. This won’t become a fridge favorite for us, but we will certainly look for other beers of this producer to see what they’ve got to round out their arsenal.

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This pours a medium brown with a one finger white head that fades quickly and leaves no lace. There is a definite color fade towards the edges, medium brown to maybe something like amber brown. On the nose there is wet grain sticking out up front with a deep pine buried underneath that comes out when agitated. The grain almost smells like oatmeal. Buried even further down are some prunes or dates or some other dark fruit that makes me wish the nose were more balanced. In the mouth the dark fruit comes out a whole lot, riding the grain underneath with some bitterness lingering later on in the medium finish. The body is quite light, almost watery. A mild can be made to be a bit fuller at a lower ABV, and I would have preferred that approach: say 4% alcohol but with more lingering flavors.

Overall this beer is alright, and with some tweaking I think it would be really good. As it stands, the nose is good but unbalanced and the whole affair is just a little too light, even considering the style.

3.48/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance: Dark amber color that is semi-transparent. Had a pretty small head.

Smell: Has a strong malty aroma that is very pleasant and inviting.

Taste: Kind of a sweet malty taste that is not very complex; but it is very smooth and very refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin without being too much so. There's just enough body to keep me from thinking it feels like a Light Lager.

Drinkability: This is pretty good. I admit that I tried this beer just because I thought the name was ridiculous. I was pleasantly surprised, though, when I got a beer that is good and is something I could drink again.

2.55/5  rDev -24.3%

I sampled this at the Michigan Brewers Guild Summer Fest.

A: Amber-brown, fluffy off-white head, great retention and lace. Amazing for its weight.

S: Grainy and acidic.

T: Very grainy, fairly dry. No hop flavour (as the style dictates).

M: Light to moderate body, moderate carbonation.

D: Not what I'm looking for in a session brew.

Wow...thanks to Proc for reccomending this brew. Pours out to a brown sugar color with the very slightest hint of cloudiness. Medium carbonation and a head that stood the test of time and was very well formed. Odors of nuts, barley and honey were detected, but the sweetness was not overpowering. Very refreshing mouthfeel, with overtones of malt and dough. Finishes well, with a smooth and creamy aftertaste. My buddy Proc summed it up well; this is a session beer. And a damned fine one, when a sixer is only about 7 dollars.Strongly Recommended when in the Detroit area.

3.66/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Even dark brown color with small head that gets smaller. The small head stayed throughout the beer and created a nice lacing. Not much smell.

The taste was quite good with a medium coffee flavor with some spices. I think I detected clove and anise. The aftertaste diminished quickly but settled into a very subtle sense of spicyness.

Mouthfeel was smooth and a little creamy.

This beer was very drinkable. I would definately have another. In fact, I did.

Motor City Brewing Ghettoblaster from Motor City Brewing Works