Motor City Brewing Ghettoblaster - Motor City Brewing Works

Motor City Brewing GhettoblasterMotor City Brewing Ghettoblaster

Motor City Brewing Works visit their website

English Dark Mild Ale |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Sixpack595 on 02-22-2003)
Reviews by proc:
4.33/5  rDev +28.1%

Fellow Michigander/Michiganian, trbeer (Tim) mentioned I should re-review this one and based upon how much of this I have consumed during the summer of '04, he is right....

This one pours out to a satiny brown in the glass with a decent-sized head. The aroma is that of malt and biscuits and bread dough. The taste is a treat. The hops are present, but not overwhelming and have a distinct taste. I would suppose this being due to the "galena" hops as stated on the bottle label. This hop uniqueness gives way to a maltiness that isn't sweet, but rather enhances the hop character. This beer isn't an IPA or an "big" beer. Its a fairly low alcohol beer (the brewer mentioned its around 4% at the Michigan Beer Festival), that is meant to be drank in quantity, read: session.

Overall this is a style that isn't brewed enough by American micro-brewers. While they are all out there trying to top each other with big beers, this simple gem from Detroit's Cass Corridor area reminds one of why its fun to drink beer.

Original Review 4-26-02: A mild pale ale. Refreshing. You could put down quite a few of these during a session. A rather light Pale, but still heavier than a Bass Ale. I'd drink this again.

proc, Sep 24, 2004
3.43/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at the Park Bar in Detroit. Nice looking, dark-copper color with a decent sized head, although not much lacing was left on the glass at the end. The smell has a lot going on that can be hard to pin-point: earthy, malts, burnt grains, light citrus, a touch of floral hops. The taste, much like the smell would lead on, is slightly sweet with a nice mix of malts and grains. Hops are present, but very faint (maybe overpowered by the grain). Alcohol taste is nearly non-existant, making this a decent session beer. Fairly thin with medium carbonation and a very slight stickiness.

A nice product from Motor City Brewing, Ghettoblaster makes for a very nice session beer when you plan on drinking a bit.

tectactoe, Sep 25, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +24.3%

KatieS, Aug 14, 2014

jmrybak, Jul 29, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -18.6%

dcbeers, Jan 15, 2014
2.93/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This interestingly named beer looks the part of a traditional dark mild, sort of a reddish-brown that only achieves complete clarity when held to the light, but only because of its dark color. The head is short-lived and spritzy, dying down before it has a chance to form more than a small island that remains. It manages sub-par spotting.
It smells better than I might think looking at it. Esters are spicy and fruity foremost with the faintest hint of leaf along with a little bit of earth and some creamier sweetness, with a metallic note underlying.
The taste underwhelms, as it just seems to go flat and lose much of what the nose received. It ends up being flat grains with slight spicing and a watery breadiness. It's disappointing after a nice smell. Leaf sneaks weakly into the finish, and the metallic note flashes in and out.
The feel is also flat. There's a barely-medium body, but both smoothness and crispness are fairly weak. It's not that there isn't crispness, but it's barely holding on the whole way through. This is where either something's wrong or the brewer determined that lighter body meant thin and watery. It's not dead, but it's dying.

Brenden, Jan 22, 2014

Dcor, Aug 27, 2012

Rakit, Jul 12, 2014

king75, Apr 18, 2014
4.33/5  rDev +28.1%

Open this beer, and you can hear the collective groan of every single malt liquor marketer as they try to rationalize how the absolute perfect name fell through their hands and in to the lap -of all things - an English-styled Mild Ale.

It pours amber, glinting slightly more orange. Mildly smogged. The head is compact- merely a skim of beige - but it endures the duration.
Nose of lemongrass, toffee, pears, and red grapes.
Begins full of a sweet graininess that touches upon caramel before fleeting to sharper fruit tones. Apple is suggested, red and slightly tart. Grape again, then pear. All carrying notions of underripe acidity. Mellows towards the middle with a trace of caramelized brown-sugar. Woody near the close, traced especially with oak and maple. Fruitiness lingers throughout and conjoins the muscular lemon-oil hop bitters.
Light bodied, firm in feel and structure. This has a good deal of sharpness, and is far more abrupt than most of its UK counterparts, with much more emphasis on the citric colors of hops. But this simply oozes substance and depth.
A great beer regardless of its misnomer.

cokes, Sep 17, 2004
2.53/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Dark brown with slight head, faint aroma, very watery as their lineup tended to be this night. Understated carbonation. Drinkable and a session ale. Taste is mostly in the malt profile, with chocolate malt and caramel. Could have been a cask ale in a blind tasting. Nothing exceptional.

Sammy, Feb 01, 2007

Dustin_A_Stoutdrinker, May 06, 2014

beergorrilla, May 13, 2014

mzeld, Mar 26, 2012

Acuity, Dec 24, 2011

SopwithCamel18, May 07, 2012

Danielr26, Feb 18, 2013
3.38/5  rDev 0%

A-light brownish amber w/no head despite increasingly aggressive pour. I had this one on tap the other day w/a nice head, so this seems to be limited to this bottle.

S-Light slightly sweet toasted malt and faint hops. Simple and refreshing.

T-Same as smell, w/slight hint of applesauce, raisin, grain, and faint English hop finish.

M-Silky body let down by inadequate carbonation, but otherwise balance is even and harmonious.

D-Good and a perfect session beer. I used to drink this about 9 years ago, and was looking forward to finally rating it, but this bottle my bro saved me is nowhere near as good as the on-tap version I had the other day, or as in my memory.

BoitSansSoif, Jun 14, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -6.8%

Much thanks for getting this bottle in my hands. I had never heard of it, but shall never forget its name now! Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 02/02/2009.

The pour was very nice, rich looking medium brown with a mild cloudiness about it. Rich color here with a nice head of off white which hung around for a few moments before settling down into a thin film. The aroma was light, medium fruit notes, apricot maybe with a hint of some light spice and tons of grain. More of the same on the taste as I run through on this one. The flavor was a bit lacking for me. Nice malt profile with a light ouch of fruit and spice, but not nearly strong enough of a profile to really get me to enjoy it. Smooth, mellow carbonation and a low abv made it nice and and drinkable, though a bit dull. Overall with a name like this I expect alot more, but a decent beer none the less.

mikesgroove, Feb 03, 2009

HardyA, Apr 16, 2013

Captain_Buzzkill, Apr 20, 2013
3.76/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I got a bottle of Motor City Brewing's Ghettoblaster in their new variety pack for $20 at The Lager Mill. I've seen this beer around many times, but I don't think I've ever had it and it's been a little while since I've had an English Dark Mild Ale, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a new school tattoo look to it and I like the combination of an engine and a boombox and I think the combination of name and the label makes it fairly eye catching. It poured a nice clear amber color that took on a ruby copper color when held to the light with two fingers worth of off white head that died died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some pretty nice patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, It looks true to style and I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of malts being the first to show up and they impart a nice pale malt, biscuity, toasted malts and light caramel like aromas with a really slight nutty aroma. Up next comes a little bit of fruity yeast followed by some earthy, grassy, and slight herbal hop aromas. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, I have no complaints.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by loads of malts that impart a very grainy, pale malt, toasted malt, light caramel and biscuit like flavors that are a pretty good combination and the nutty aspect seems to be a little stronger than it was in the aroma. Up next comes a very light amount of fruity yeast that is barely noticeable and there's also a doughy flavor in the background. On the finish there's a pretty light amount of hops that impart a pretty light earthy and herbal hop flavor with a pretty low amount of bitterness with a very grainy and toasted malt like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer and I think it's fairly true to style.

M- Smooth, clean, a little crisp, slightly creamy, medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example and a pretty true to style example of an English Dark Mild Ale, I don't have a ton of experience with this style, but this beer tastes pretty much just how I remember a good English Dark Mild Ale tasting and I think Motor City Brewing did a good job at representing the style. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, a little crisp, not filling and the taste did a good job of holding my attention, I could see myself drinking more than a few of these, I think it's pretty sessionable and I think this would make for a good beer to pair a meal with. What I like the most about this beer was how true to style it is, it's just a good example of the style and it's just what I look for in an English Dark Mild Ale and I don't see many of those. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there nothing that I dislike or would change, it's fine just the way it is. I would buy this beer again and I'll try and I remember to pick up a six pack next time I go on a beer run. I would recommend this beer to just about anyone, I think it's really accessible. All in all I was little impressed with this beer, I was a little let down with their Lager but this beer turned out to be pretty good and I'm starting to think that the English Ales are what this brewery specializes in. I think this beer is on the same level as their Nut Brown Ale. Good job guys, I enjoyed this one, keep up the good work.

StoutHunter, Jan 18, 2014