Motor City Brewing Ghettoblaster - Motor City Brewing Works

Motor City Brewing GhettoblasterMotor City Brewing Ghettoblaster

Motor City Brewing Works visit their website

English Dark Mild Ale |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Sixpack595 on 02-22-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
StoutHunter

3.76/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I got a bottle of Motor City Brewing's Ghettoblaster in their new variety pack for $20 at The Lager Mill. I've seen this beer around many times, but I don't think I've ever had it and it's been a little while since I've had an English Dark Mild Ale, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a new school tattoo look to it and I like the combination of an engine and a boombox and I think the combination of name and the label makes it fairly eye catching. It poured a nice clear amber color that took on a ruby copper color when held to the light with two fingers worth of off white head that died died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some pretty nice patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, It looks true to style and I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of malts being the first to show up and they impart a nice pale malt, biscuity, toasted malts and light caramel like aromas with a really slight nutty aroma. Up next comes a little bit of fruity yeast followed by some earthy, grassy, and slight herbal hop aromas. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, I have no complaints.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by loads of malts that impart a very grainy, pale malt, toasted malt, light caramel and biscuit like flavors that are a pretty good combination and the nutty aspect seems to be a little stronger than it was in the aroma. Up next comes a very light amount of fruity yeast that is barely noticeable and there's also a doughy flavor in the background. On the finish there's a pretty light amount of hops that impart a pretty light earthy and herbal hop flavor with a pretty low amount of bitterness with a very grainy and toasted malt like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer and I think it's fairly true to style.

M- Smooth, clean, a little crisp, slightly creamy, medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example and a pretty true to style example of an English Dark Mild Ale, I don't have a ton of experience with this style, but this beer tastes pretty much just how I remember a good English Dark Mild Ale tasting and I think Motor City Brewing did a good job at representing the style. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, a little crisp, not filling and the taste did a good job of holding my attention, I could see myself drinking more than a few of these, I think it's pretty sessionable and I think this would make for a good beer to pair a meal with. What I like the most about this beer was how true to style it is, it's just a good example of the style and it's just what I look for in an English Dark Mild Ale and I don't see many of those. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there nothing that I dislike or would change, it's fine just the way it is. I would buy this beer again and I'll try and I remember to pick up a six pack next time I go on a beer run. I would recommend this beer to just about anyone, I think it's really accessible. All in all I was little impressed with this beer, I was a little let down with their Lager but this beer turned out to be pretty good and I'm starting to think that the English Ales are what this brewery specializes in. I think this beer is on the same level as their Nut Brown Ale. Good job guys, I enjoyed this one, keep up the good work.

01-18-2014 22:44:01 | More by StoutHunter
SportsandJorts

3.16/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance: brownish orange color. good clarity, just a slight haze to it. almost no head with just a little bit of an off white lacing.

Smell: toasty pale malts. almost smells like its exclusively maris otter malt. very slight fruitiness.

Taste: toasty to nutty pale malts. just a touch of dark fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: light. just a hinge of a metallic taste.

Overall: to me this style is supposed to be a light beer that is relatively packed with taste. this one isn't nearly as flavorful as the style allows, the flavor isn't too bad just way to weak. In a blind tasting of 4 dark mild (ghettoblaster, new castle cabbie, short's earl or brixom and a homebrew, it placed last.)

01-16-2014 01:31:29 | More by SportsandJorts

11-12-2013 03:31:08 | More by chewy6935
breakingbland

3.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Drawn from the tap into a pint glass.

Appearance: A cloudy brown. There was scant foam that dissipated to almost nothing.

Aroma: A slight sourness with some malt.

Taste: Bready and somewhat sweet with a mild hops presence. The lingering taste is of the hops, but it's not too strong..

Mouthfeel: There's not too much body, but it's OK.

Overall: This beer doesn't seem to be a great example of this style, but it's OK. I wouldn't go out of my way to get this beer, but I'd have another under the right circumstances.

11-10-2013 17:15:42 | More by breakingbland
thickgirth

10-25-2013 02:52:30 | More by thickgirth
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

3.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ghettoblaster is unfiltered and comes with a good amount of sediment in the bottle and yet is relatively clear. Its sun-beaten amber colour is deep but glows to the light. Its head is fine but persistent and sits atop the liquid like a layer of white moss.

Ghettoblaster is "the beer you can hear" but you can definitely smell it too. Leaving the ale unpasteurized has allowed aromatic yeasty esters to thrive; the glass smells like a heaping pile of bruised fruits (banana, red apple, prune) thoroughly doused in anise spice and clove.

The beer is more mild in alcohol content than it is in flavour. As in the bouquet, fruity esters and spicy phenols of all kinds blossom in thanks to a healthy yeast. Granted, pleasant though the bruised banana-and-anise profile is, it's not typical of an English-style Mild Ale.

The beer's biscuity maltiness and subtle toffee backdrop is closer to what I was expecting to find. They're there, but they take backseat to the yeast. Hops aren't entirely out of the mix either; there is an underlying earthiness that lends a short-lived bitterness.

Ghettoblaster turns up the volume on a style that is typically anything but loud. Not surprising given it's made in Detroit Rock City. While I suspect some of this added personality comes accidentally by way of an overactive yeast, I found it an enjoyable lower-strength offering nonetheless. I'll look to try more from Motor City Brewing Works.

10-20-2013 16:27:45 | More by biegaman