Motor City Brewing Nut Brown Ale - Motor City Brewing Works

Motor City Brewing Nut Brown AleMotor City Brewing Nut Brown Ale

Motor City Brewing Works visit their website

English Brown Ale |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-09-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

DuffBeer14, Jun 25, 2014

Troy_P, Apr 27, 2014

jeffwright, Feb 15, 2014

JVoyager, Jan 08, 2014
3.76/5  rDev +12.6%

I picked up a bottle of Motor City Brewing's Nut Brown Ale in their new variety 12 pack for $20 a couple days ago at The Lager Mill. I'm not too familiar with this brewery so I thought I would get the variety pack and give most of their lineup a try and I thought I would start off with their Nut Brown Ale, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I think it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty nice, I like the skull and crossbones made with a rusty nut and two wrench's, it looks good and it ties in well with the name of the brewery. It poured a hazy dark brown color that took more of a mahogany color when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of off white/very light tan head that quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left just a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking Brown Ale, but it could have used some better head retention and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a real nice nutty aroma showing up front that has a nice natural nutty aroma to it. Up next comes a good amount of malts that impart a grainy, brown bread, light biscuity, light caramel malt, and toasted malt aromas. This Brown Ale had a very nice aroma that was very true to style, I have no complaints.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by loads of malts being the first to show up and they impart all those nice malty aspects that I got in the aroma with the toasted malts seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a pretty big nutty flavor, i can't pin point what nut it tastes like, but to me it's just got a good and authentic nutty flavor that I like. On the finish there's a lower amount of bitterness with a toasted malt, grainy, a very nutty aftertaste. This is a pretty nice tasting Nut Brown Ale, I have no complaints.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but I wish it was just a little thicker with less carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was a pretty good example of a Nut Brown Ale and it may be the most nut forward Brown Ale I have had and I thought the nuttyness worked well with the good brown ale base. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, crisp, not too filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I could see drinking a few of these without getting bored with it and I think it would make for a nice beer to enjoy in the fall. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, I thought it was very nice and the nutty aromas worked really well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad, but i was this beers weakest point, it was a little watery and a little over carbonated. I would buy this beer again when I'm in the mood for a Nut Brown Ale and if I could find it on it's own I could see myself buying a couple bottles and maybe a six pack. I would recommend this beer to anybody who is a fan of Nut Brown Ales. All in all I was happy with this beer and It had a nice aroma and taste that was very true to style. Good job guys, this made for a nice first impression for Motor City Brewing Works, I'm interested to see what else you guys have to offer, keep up the good work.

StoutHunter, Jan 08, 2014

Rons35, Feb 19, 2013

Danielr26, Feb 18, 2013

brandoman63, Jan 30, 2013
2.2/5  rDev -34.1%

Appearance: dark brown body with a two finger tan head.

Aroma: aroma, aroma, aroma … aroma is not present. Super weak for a Nut Brown … super weak for a beer period.

Flavors: Earthy roasted malts, some nuttiness more on the finish and aftertaste, watery, hops must be doing their job keeping the malts in balance.

Mouthfeel: thin on the delivery, watery feel on the front, roasted notes on the mid-palate, slightly nutty on the finish, moderate carbonation.

To the Point: Not bad and that also means not good … it is just okay. Lacks depth, character, too thin on the delivery, BUT … easy to drink, a good selection to introduce someone to Nut Browns or darker beers. You have to try one that is bad or okay in style to understand the good.

hackmann, Jan 18, 2013