Motor City Brewing Nut Brown Ale - Motor City Brewing Works

Motor City Brewing Works visit their website

English Brown Ale |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-09-2003

3.63/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2.79/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.92/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

4.25/5  rDev +27.6%

3.75/5  rDev +12.6%

3.78/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Motor City Brewing's Nut Brown Ale in their new variety 12 pack for $20 a couple days ago at The Lager Mill. I'm not too familiar with this brewery so I thought I would get the variety pack and give most of their lineup a try and I thought I would start off with their Nut Brown Ale, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I think it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty nice, I like the skull and crossbones made with a rusty nut and two wrench's, it looks good and it ties in well with the name of the brewery. It poured a hazy dark brown color that took more of a mahogany color when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of off white/very light tan head that quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left just a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking Brown Ale, but it could have used some better head retention and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a real nice nutty aroma showing up front that has a nice natural nutty aroma to it. Up next comes a good amount of malts that impart a grainy, brown bread, light biscuity, light caramel malt, and toasted malt aromas. This Brown Ale had a very nice aroma that was very true to style, I have no complaints.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by loads of malts being the first to show up and they impart all those nice malty aspects that I got in the aroma with the toasted malts seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a pretty big nutty flavor, i can't pin point what nut it tastes like, but to me it's just got a good and authentic nutty flavor that I like. On the finish there's a lower amount of bitterness with a toasted malt, grainy, a very nutty aftertaste. This is a pretty nice tasting Nut Brown Ale, I have no complaints.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but I wish it was just a little thicker with less carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was a pretty good example of a Nut Brown Ale and it may be the most nut forward Brown Ale I have had and I thought the nuttyness worked well with the good brown ale base. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, crisp, not too filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I could see drinking a few of these without getting bored with it and I think it would make for a nice beer to enjoy in the fall. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, I thought it was very nice and the nutty aromas worked really well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad, but i was this beers weakest point, it was a little watery and a little over carbonated. I would buy this beer again when I'm in the mood for a Nut Brown Ale and if I could find it on it's own I could see myself buying a couple bottles and maybe a six pack. I would recommend this beer to anybody who is a fan of Nut Brown Ales. All in all I was happy with this beer and It had a nice aroma and taste that was very true to style. Good job guys, this made for a nice first impression for Motor City Brewing Works, I'm interested to see what else you guys have to offer, keep up the good work.

3.75/5  rDev +12.6%