Motor City Brewing Nut Brown Ale - Motor City Brewing Works

Motor City Brewing Nut Brown AleMotor City Brewing Nut Brown Ale

Motor City Brewing Works visit their website

English Brown Ale |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-09-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Captain_Buzzkill:

2.88/5  rDev -14%

One of the beers I brought home with me after bein home visiting,poured a deep chesnut color with very little head to it,earthy-nuttiness is the predominent smell I get.Taste isnt very comples,a little to sweet for me but there is some definent nuttiness to it.I like to try to find local beers that I never get a chance to try but I could of passed on this one.

2.63/5  rDev -21.5%

Had this on top at Ashley's in Ann Arbor, MI.

Arrived with a thin light brown head. The body was an orange-hued brown. Smelled very clean, with a light hint of roasted malts. Then comes the punch to the taste buds: tart citrus orange flavor, buttery and only slightly nutty. Totally out of whack, and not true to the style. The body was light with medium carbonation.

This is a very weird take on a brown ale. It pushes the boundaries of the style, but not in a very pleasing way. It is unbalanced and far too tart for a brown ale.

2.2/5  rDev -34.3%

Dark mahogany stained with a bulging beige top.
Wet paper nose traced with tart fruits and cobwebby chocolate.
Begins with a minor roasty expression. Then a barrage of tart green apples and sour pears hit without any trace of subtlity or purpose. It's not sour in the lambic-eque, infected sense, rather it is merely far to fruity, too many fermention byproducts. Soap, wet cardboard and acetaldehyde. It ends still crisply tart, with a wavering notion of walnuts and a lime peel bitterness.
Thin bodied, brash and loud when it should be understanded...or at least much more mellow than this.
The bright fruit hues that I rather enjoyed in the Ghettoblaster are run completely amok here.
Disastrous.

3.4/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

At the brewery. Opaque black with a thin head, above average carbonation though thin mouthfeel. Some hops, nuts. Drinkable and carmel malty with chocolate malts and maybe coco that stands out. Molasses or even a drop of sugar. Sweet finish and aftertaste.

4.25/5  rDev +26.9%

3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours ruddy brown, with some white head and faint lace.
Smell is chocolate, roast and a bit of disassociated astringency.
Tastes immediately sweet and nutty up front, which bends into a chocolatey taste. Ends slightly bitter and sour.
Welll carbonated, goes down fairly smooth.
Not a bad beer from a brewery I'm unfamiliar with.

3.4/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A-Bottle was slightly under-filled. Best by: has no date on any of the bottles I got. Pour very dark brown w/thin off-white head.

S-Malty w/nuts and chocolate, faint English hops.

T-Toasted malt notes w/chocolate and nuts. Slightly bitter English hops grace the finish. Aftertaste is of roast grain and chocolate.

M-Lighter-bodied w/slightly prickly carbonation. Well-balanced.

D-Very tasty nut brown. This is by far the best of the six bottles I picked up. However, it was quite a bit better on-tap, particularly the head and aroma.

3.5/5  rDev +4.5%

4.3/5  rDev +28.4%

Beautiful dark brown served in a 16oz pint with a half inch of light brown head. Full of aroma, initial whiff of floral hops followed by a solid nutty malt scent. Flavor is malt, munich and then chocolate with good balancing bitterness. Good mouthfeel. Overall this is one of the best browns I've ever had, this is a well made extremely drinkable beer.

3.76/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Motor City Brewing's Nut Brown Ale in their new variety 12 pack for $20 a couple days ago at The Lager Mill. I'm not too familiar with this brewery so I thought I would get the variety pack and give most of their lineup a try and I thought I would start off with their Nut Brown Ale, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I think it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty nice, I like the skull and crossbones made with a rusty nut and two wrench's, it looks good and it ties in well with the name of the brewery. It poured a hazy dark brown color that took more of a mahogany color when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of off white/very light tan head that quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left just a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking Brown Ale, but it could have used some better head retention and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a real nice nutty aroma showing up front that has a nice natural nutty aroma to it. Up next comes a good amount of malts that impart a grainy, brown bread, light biscuity, light caramel malt, and toasted malt aromas. This Brown Ale had a very nice aroma that was very true to style, I have no complaints.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by loads of malts being the first to show up and they impart all those nice malty aspects that I got in the aroma with the toasted malts seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a pretty big nutty flavor, i can't pin point what nut it tastes like, but to me it's just got a good and authentic nutty flavor that I like. On the finish there's a lower amount of bitterness with a toasted malt, grainy, a very nutty aftertaste. This is a pretty nice tasting Nut Brown Ale, I have no complaints.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but I wish it was just a little thicker with less carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was a pretty good example of a Nut Brown Ale and it may be the most nut forward Brown Ale I have had and I thought the nuttyness worked well with the good brown ale base. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, crisp, not too filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I could see drinking a few of these without getting bored with it and I think it would make for a nice beer to enjoy in the fall. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, I thought it was very nice and the nutty aromas worked really well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad, but i was this beers weakest point, it was a little watery and a little over carbonated. I would buy this beer again when I'm in the mood for a Nut Brown Ale and if I could find it on it's own I could see myself buying a couple bottles and maybe a six pack. I would recommend this beer to anybody who is a fan of Nut Brown Ales. All in all I was happy with this beer and It had a nice aroma and taste that was very true to style. Good job guys, this made for a nice first impression for Motor City Brewing Works, I'm interested to see what else you guys have to offer, keep up the good work.

2.48/5  rDev -26%

Poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours pretty thin and a very dark brown. It produces about a finger of fizzy brown head.

S - Big Malt sweetness, nuttiness, sweet bread and a tad of sourness.

T - Sour milk and a weird bitterness hit me right away, I get some of the malts and a bit of nuttiness but that's it.

M - The same mouthfeel and coke or pepsi, watery and way over-carbonated, man don't think I have ever had a beer this carbonated before.

D - Ya this started off good with the smell, but just went down the drain with the taste, pretty unpleasant and the mouthfeel was just bizarre. I recommend a pass on this one.

4.38/5  rDev +30.7%

This arrived with a thick, light-tan head with decent retention. The color was a deep-brown, very much like cola or “caramel color”. It gave off a deeply sweet, malty nose and the mouthfeel tended towards thick. Not pudding-thick, mind you, but still more of a presence than many beers that I had consumed recently. The taste on the tongue reminded me of the smell of Hershey, PA on production days. The finish was more like a chocolate milkshake, with a chocolaty, grainy flavor and texture.

3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

3.73/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A fair Brown ale. Presented a fogged brown muck color with a small white head. Medium low level of carbonation. Aromas of sweet nuts, grain and malt. Flavors along the same lines. Mouthfeel was kind of boring (maybe I should say calm instead), but i've found that common with the style Very drinkable, not nothing spectacular. Worth a try.

2.5/5  rDev -25.4%