Motor City Brewing Nut Brown Ale - Motor City Brewing Works

Motor City Brewing Nut Brown AleMotor City Brewing Nut Brown Ale

Motor City Brewing Works visit their website

English Brown Ale |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-09-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by divineaudio:
divineaudio

3.58/5  rDev +7.2%

12oz pour at the brewpub, served in a pint glass.

color is deep brown with some auburn highlights at the edges. came to the table with a pinky of off white head that calmed to a thin film and leaves rings of foam for lacing.

smells weakly of roast with a bit of light fruit.

taste is more like lightly roasted coffee. has a fruity hop character and mild bitterness in the finish. not much depth here, but it works.

mouthfeel is thin with fine carbonation, and not quite enough of it.

highly drinkable and a prime example of a session beer. have had many of these in a night at the brewpub, or at home in bottles. not an exciting beer, but one of the better motor city offerings imo.

08-28-2010 23:45:49 | More by divineaudio
oberon

2.88/5  rDev -13.8%

One of the beers I brought home with me after bein home visiting,poured a deep chesnut color with very little head to it,earthy-nuttiness is the predominent smell I get.Taste isnt very comples,a little to sweet for me but there is some definent nuttiness to it.I like to try to find local beers that I never get a chance to try but I could of passed on this one.

05-09-2003 18:21:01 | More by oberon
DanGeo

06-08-2013 02:59:53 | More by DanGeo
Shovelbum

2.63/5  rDev -21.3%

Had this on top at Ashley's in Ann Arbor, MI.

Arrived with a thin light brown head. The body was an orange-hued brown. Smelled very clean, with a light hint of roasted malts. Then comes the punch to the taste buds: tart citrus orange flavor, buttery and only slightly nutty. Totally out of whack, and not true to the style. The body was light with medium carbonation.

This is a very weird take on a brown ale. It pushes the boundaries of the style, but not in a very pleasing way. It is unbalanced and far too tart for a brown ale.

10-19-2005 23:44:48 | More by Shovelbum
cokes

Wisconsin

2.2/5  rDev -34.1%

Dark mahogany stained with a bulging beige top.
Wet paper nose traced with tart fruits and cobwebby chocolate.
Begins with a minor roasty expression. Then a barrage of tart green apples and sour pears hit without any trace of subtlity or purpose. It's not sour in the lambic-eque, infected sense, rather it is merely far to fruity, too many fermention byproducts. Soap, wet cardboard and acetaldehyde. It ends still crisply tart, with a wavering notion of walnuts and a lime peel bitterness.
Thin bodied, brash and loud when it should be understanded...or at least much more mellow than this.
The bright fruit hues that I rather enjoyed in the Ghettoblaster are run completely amok here.
Disastrous.

09-17-2004 00:51:47 | More by cokes
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.4/5  rDev +1.8%

At the brewery. Opaque black with a thin head, above average carbonation though thin mouthfeel. Some hops, nuts. Drinkable and carmel malty with chocolate malts and maybe coco that stands out. Molasses or even a drop of sugar. Sweet finish and aftertaste.

02-01-2007 15:47:30 | More by Sammy
mzeld

4.25/5  rDev +27.2%

03-25-2013 00:14:57 | More by mzeld
nortmand

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours ruddy brown, with some white head and faint lace.
Smell is chocolate, roast and a bit of disassociated astringency.
Tastes immediately sweet and nutty up front, which bends into a chocolatey taste. Ends slightly bitter and sour.
Welll carbonated, goes down fairly smooth.
Not a bad beer from a brewery I'm unfamiliar with.

08-10-2005 23:38:03 | More by nortmand
Danielr26

02-18-2013 14:13:59 | More by Danielr26
BoitSansSoif

France

3.4/5  rDev +1.8%

A-Bottle was slightly under-filled. Best by: has no date on any of the bottles I got. Pour very dark brown w/thin off-white head.

S-Malty w/nuts and chocolate, faint English hops.

T-Toasted malt notes w/chocolate and nuts. Slightly bitter English hops grace the finish. Aftertaste is of roast grain and chocolate.

M-Lighter-bodied w/slightly prickly carbonation. Well-balanced.

D-Very tasty nut brown. This is by far the best of the six bottles I picked up. However, it was quite a bit better on-tap, particularly the head and aroma.

06-24-2009 04:08:07 | More by BoitSansSoif
tommy5

3.5/5  rDev +4.8%

09-06-2013 23:32:35 | More by tommy5
bob_d_j

05-23-2013 20:48:12 | More by bob_d_j
redmosquito

4.3/5  rDev +28.7%

Beautiful dark brown served in a 16oz pint with a half inch of light brown head. Full of aroma, initial whiff of floral hops followed by a solid nutty malt scent. Flavor is malt, munich and then chocolate with good balancing bitterness. Good mouthfeel. Overall this is one of the best browns I've ever had, this is a well made extremely drinkable beer.

03-17-2005 19:30:41 | More by redmosquito
Captain_Buzzkill

04-20-2013 06:12:54 | More by Captain_Buzzkill
StoutHunter

3.76/5  rDev +12.6%

I picked up a bottle of Motor City Brewing's Nut Brown Ale in their new variety 12 pack for $20 a couple days ago at The Lager Mill. I'm not too familiar with this brewery so I thought I would get the variety pack and give most of their lineup a try and I thought I would start off with their Nut Brown Ale, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I think it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty nice, I like the skull and crossbones made with a rusty nut and two wrench's, it looks good and it ties in well with the name of the brewery. It poured a hazy dark brown color that took more of a mahogany color when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of off white/very light tan head that quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left just a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking Brown Ale, but it could have used some better head retention and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a real nice nutty aroma showing up front that has a nice natural nutty aroma to it. Up next comes a good amount of malts that impart a grainy, brown bread, light biscuity, light caramel malt, and toasted malt aromas. This Brown Ale had a very nice aroma that was very true to style, I have no complaints.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by loads of malts being the first to show up and they impart all those nice malty aspects that I got in the aroma with the toasted malts seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a pretty big nutty flavor, i can't pin point what nut it tastes like, but to me it's just got a good and authentic nutty flavor that I like. On the finish there's a lower amount of bitterness with a toasted malt, grainy, a very nutty aftertaste. This is a pretty nice tasting Nut Brown Ale, I have no complaints.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but I wish it was just a little thicker with less carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was a pretty good example of a Nut Brown Ale and it may be the most nut forward Brown Ale I have had and I thought the nuttyness worked well with the good brown ale base. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, crisp, not too filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I could see drinking a few of these without getting bored with it and I think it would make for a nice beer to enjoy in the fall. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, I thought it was very nice and the nutty aromas worked really well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad, but i was this beers weakest point, it was a little watery and a little over carbonated. I would buy this beer again when I'm in the mood for a Nut Brown Ale and if I could find it on it's own I could see myself buying a couple bottles and maybe a six pack. I would recommend this beer to anybody who is a fan of Nut Brown Ales. All in all I was happy with this beer and It had a nice aroma and taste that was very true to style. Good job guys, this made for a nice first impression for Motor City Brewing Works, I'm interested to see what else you guys have to offer, keep up the good work.

01-08-2014 04:51:13 | More by StoutHunter
semibaked

Kentucky

2.48/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours pretty thin and a very dark brown. It produces about a finger of fizzy brown head.

S - Big Malt sweetness, nuttiness, sweet bread and a tad of sourness.

T - Sour milk and a weird bitterness hit me right away, I get some of the malts and a bit of nuttiness but that's it.

M - The same mouthfeel and coke or pepsi, watery and way over-carbonated, man don't think I have ever had a beer this carbonated before.

D - Ya this started off good with the smell, but just went down the drain with the taste, pretty unpleasant and the mouthfeel was just bizarre. I recommend a pass on this one.

07-10-2010 04:20:55 | More by semibaked
woodychandler

4.38/5  rDev +31.1%

This arrived with a thick, light-tan head with decent retention. The color was a deep-brown, very much like cola or “caramel color”. It gave off a deeply sweet, malty nose and the mouthfeel tended towards thick. Not pudding-thick, mind you, but still more of a presence than many beers that I had consumed recently. The taste on the tongue reminded me of the smell of Hershey, PA on production days. The finish was more like a chocolate milkshake, with a chocolaty, grainy flavor and texture.

08-28-2006 23:52:31 | More by woodychandler
brandoman63

01-30-2013 03:36:50 | More by brandoman63
DuffBeer14

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

06-25-2014 03:32:13 | More by DuffBeer14
Frozensoul327

3.73/5  rDev +11.7%

A fair Brown ale. Presented a fogged brown muck color with a small white head. Medium low level of carbonation. Aromas of sweet nuts, grain and malt. Flavors along the same lines. Mouthfeel was kind of boring (maybe I should say calm instead), but i've found that common with the style Very drinkable, not nothing spectacular. Worth a try.

02-08-2006 02:15:56 | More by Frozensoul327