Motor City India Pale Ale - Motor City Brewing Works

Motor City Brewing Works visit their website

Beer added by: samyoung on 04-24-2013

3.17/5  rDev -7.3%

Motor City Brewing Works IPA

Blahblahblah another random I threw into my mix a six let's hope it's better than my last obviously dated onion bomb.

Look - Pours a murked shade of copperish golden with a big head that sticks around and loves you long time like an Asian hooker on the streets of Indonesia. Hope you like crabs. Carbonation appears to be moderate with this one. Lacing retained pretty well though it is slowly dropping to the bottom. 3.75.

Smell - Floral an quite midlined in terms of the scent. The malts are surely noticable along with the hops which I would say are likely of the Columbus variety. Doesn't smell too shabby at all, though if it is a sign of things to come it will be a very 3.5ish level IPA. 3.5.

Taste - Starts malty up front with a huge amount of white dried out bread that meets up with a slightly floral hoppyness. Hops come through a bit more and produce quite a bit of juicy ness though they still don't save it very much. 3.

Feel - Body is somewhat watery with a low level of carbonation. Due to the well retained head it is quite creamy. That dried white bread aspect takes over the feel of the mouth and leaves a bit to be desired. 3.

Overall - A decent, although not good IPA. I could have a sixer if I would have bough one. Nothing offensive, but the hop variety just isn't my specific forte I guess. Oh well, $2.19 a bottle so I can't complain much. 3..

3.25/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle poured into Spiegelau IPA glass. Pours a hazy orange amber color. Quickly dissipating two fingers of head. Not much lacing. Has a bit of a coffee scent and an even more pronounced coffee bean element to the aftertaste. Also some sweetness in the scent but not much in the flavor. Nothing unique or special. (7.5)

3.68/5  rDev +7.6%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 11/11/2014. Pours slightly hazy deep golden color with a 1 finger dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass, with some light streaming carbonation. Aromas of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, mango, lemon zest, orange peel, light pine, floral, grass, honey, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of citrus/tropical hops and moderate malt notes; with solid strength. Taste of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, mango, lemon zest, orange peel, pine, floral, grass, honey, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Fair amount of pine/grassy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, mango, lemon/orange zest, pine, homey, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice complexity and robustness of citrus/tropical hops and moderate malt sweetness; with a good malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth, fairly crisp, and lightly creamy/sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a nice and pleasant IPA. All around good complexity, robustness, and balance of citrus/tropical hops and moderate malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. No quite as boldly hoppy as I expected, but definitely a nicely enjoyable offering otherwise.

3.29/5  rDev -3.8%

I picked up a bottle of Motor City Brewing's India Pale Ale in their new variety pack a couple weeks ago for $20 at The Lager Mill. I'm in the mood for something hoppy tonight and I'm interested to see what Motor City can do with this style, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label doesn't look that great, it's just their basic logo with a black background, it's not eye catching. It poured a slightly hazy golden color that took on more of a golden orange color when held to the light with a finger worth of white head that quickly died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left a decent amount of spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking IPA, it looks pretty true to style and I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of hops being the first to show up and they impart a nice earthy, slightly piney, and fruity hop aromas with the fruity hops sticking out the most imparting a great citrus hop aroma some nice tropical fruit hop aromas in the background. Up next comes the malt which impart a bready, slightly grainy and toasted malt like aroma that provide a little bit of balance. This beer had a pretty good aroma, I really liked the fruity hop profile and the malts showed up just enough.

T- The taste seems to be a little similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and unlike the aroma it's the earthy hops that seem to stand out the most with some very light citrus and piney hops in the background and they impart a high amount of medium bitterness that borders on being highly bitter. Up next comes the malts which impart a very grainy flavor with a little bit of bready and toasted malts in the background with a lingering bitterness and grainy malt aftertaste. This was a very average tasting IPA, high on bitterness, low on good hop flavor.

M- Not the smoothest IPA, clean, crisp, watery, on the light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was just ok, it wasn't bad, but I didn't like the watery aspect, IPA's shouldn't have that.

Overall I thought this beer wasn't that great and I thought it was an average at best example of a American IPA, the aroma got me thinking that this might be a pretty good beer, but when I got to the taste most of the things that I really liked about the aroma had disappeared and I was left with a pretty lackluster IPA. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't the smoothest, it was clean, crisp and not filling, but the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention and one is enough for me, I have no urge to drink another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, I thought it was pretty good and it was the highlight of this beer for me. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it seemed like the hops imparted bitterness but not a whole lot of flavor and that made it pretty unbalanced. I wouldn't buy this beer again or on it's own, it's just not a great example of the style and I wouldn't recommend it. All in all I wasn't a fan of this beer, it just turned out to be another forgettable IPA. The more I try these beers from Motor City Brewing the more I think that they should stick with English style beers. Better luck next time guys, this one need some work.

3.78/5  rDev +10.5%

solid beer. michigan never lets you down. first having motor city brewing works and was pleasantly surprised. it's not an in your face beer, but a really nice little session beer. check it out if you get the chance. it's quite delicious.

7percent of soft delight.

4.11/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Another decent IPA served in a clear pint glass.

Rich orange color, cloudy, very little effervescence.

Thin white head with thin lace that disipates quickly.

Not much in the nose, no citrus or hops.

Good dry mouth feel.

Hints of grapefruit on the tongue. Nice dry hearty bitters finish.

2.88/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

For as long as I have been a Detroit resident, I've hoped for Motor City to brew a solid and sensible IPA. I am very happy to see that they've added this one to the roster.

Bottle reads "Our classic example of an India Style Micro-Brewed Pale Ale, brewed for 120 minutes to extract the fruity tartness from Warrior, Columbus and Simcoe hops. Then dry-hopped with fresh leaf hops. 85 IBU."

It's a solid beer yet a disappointing IPA if you know what I mean. I was hoping for a Two-Hearted, Huma-Lupa-Licious style brew but ended up getting a more potent version of Motor City's Ghettoblaster - lots of malt and nutty flavor minus the citrus and flower finish of classic IPAs.

Motor City India Pale Ale from Motor City Brewing Works
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.