Motor City India Pale Ale - Motor City Brewing Works

Motor City India Pale Ale
No picture uploaded.

Motor City Brewing Works visit their website

(Beer added by: samyoung on 04-24-2013)

HardyA, Aug 05, 2014

1.25/5  rDev -60.9%

Filabee, Apr 05, 2014

rkf1976, Feb 09, 2014
3.24/5  rDev +1.3%

I picked up a bottle of Motor City Brewing's India Pale Ale in their new variety pack a couple weeks ago for $20 at The Lager Mill. I'm in the mood for something hoppy tonight and I'm interested to see what Motor City can do with this style, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label doesn't look that great, it's just their basic logo with a black background, it's not eye catching. It poured a slightly hazy golden color that took on more of a golden orange color when held to the light with a finger worth of white head that quickly died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left a decent amount of spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking IPA, it looks pretty true to style and I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of hops being the first to show up and they impart a nice earthy, slightly piney, and fruity hop aromas with the fruity hops sticking out the most imparting a great citrus hop aroma some nice tropical fruit hop aromas in the background. Up next comes the malt which impart a bready, slightly grainy and toasted malt like aroma that provide a little bit of balance. This beer had a pretty good aroma, I really liked the fruity hop profile and the malts showed up just enough.

T- The taste seems to be a little similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and unlike the aroma it's the earthy hops that seem to stand out the most with some very light citrus and piney hops in the background and they impart a high amount of medium bitterness that borders on being highly bitter. Up next comes the malts which impart a very grainy flavor with a little bit of bready and toasted malts in the background with a lingering bitterness and grainy malt aftertaste. This was a very average tasting IPA, high on bitterness, low on good hop flavor.

M- Not the smoothest IPA, clean, crisp, watery, on the light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was just ok, it wasn't bad, but I didn't like the watery aspect, IPA's shouldn't have that.

Overall I thought this beer wasn't that great and I thought it was an average at best example of a American IPA, the aroma got me thinking that this might be a pretty good beer, but when I got to the taste most of the things that I really liked about the aroma had disappeared and I was left with a pretty lackluster IPA. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't the smoothest, it was clean, crisp and not filling, but the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention and one is enough for me, I have no urge to drink another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, I thought it was pretty good and it was the highlight of this beer for me. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it seemed like the hops imparted bitterness but not a whole lot of flavor and that made it pretty unbalanced. I wouldn't buy this beer again or on it's own, it's just not a great example of the style and I wouldn't recommend it. All in all I wasn't a fan of this beer, it just turned out to be another forgettable IPA. The more I try these beers from Motor City Brewing the more I think that they should stick with English style beers. Better luck next time guys, this one need some work.

StoutHunter, Jan 20, 2014

loganburgh, Nov 25, 2013

Gregafree, Nov 23, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -12.5%

I_BYE_MI_BEER, Oct 06, 2013

Rons35, Oct 06, 2013
3.79/5  rDev +18.4%

solid beer. michigan never lets you down. first having motor city brewing works and was pleasantly surprised. it's not an in your face beer, but a really nice little session beer. check it out if you get the chance. it's quite delicious.

7percent of soft delight.

thickgirth, Sep 02, 2013

akttr, Jun 25, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +32.8%

RyanCFriedrich, Jun 16, 2013

mrebeka, Jun 02, 2013
4.13/5  rDev +29.1%

Another decent IPA served in a clear pint glass.

Rich orange color, cloudy, very little effervescence.

Thin white head with thin lace that disipates quickly.

Not much in the nose, no citrus or hops.

Good dry mouth feel.

Hints of grapefruit on the tongue. Nice dry hearty bitters finish.

jaz58, Jun 02, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +32.8%

DougLana, Apr 25, 2013
2.88/5  rDev -10%

For as long as I have been a Detroit resident, I've hoped for Motor City to brew a solid and sensible IPA. I am very happy to see that they've added this one to the roster.

Bottle reads "Our classic example of an India Style Micro-Brewed Pale Ale, brewed for 120 minutes to extract the fruity tartness from Warrior, Columbus and Simcoe hops. Then dry-hopped with fresh leaf hops. 85 IBU."

It's a solid beer yet a disappointing IPA if you know what I mean. I was hoping for a Two-Hearted, Huma-Lupa-Licious style brew but ended up getting a more potent version of Motor City's Ghettoblaster - lots of malt and nutty flavor minus the citrus and flower finish of classic IPAs.

samyoung, Apr 24, 2013