Microbrew Invitational

Availability: Fall

Added by davidchollar on 11-13-2009

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 2
2.77/5  rDev n/a

Bought this bottle from the Seibu department store in Ikebukuro, Tokyo around Valentine's Day. Took it home and poured it into a goblet... I was a bit confused about what to use considering this is a "chocolate weizen." However, with the relatively high alcohol content (8%), and being an "imperial," I thought a wide-brimmed glass would do well. However, I was sadly mistaken. I'm not sure if it was my fault or a part on the beer, but this brew had no head whatsoever. Simply dissipated as soon as I poured it, although it continued to bubble up from the bottom of the glass periodically. The mouthfeel was the highlight of this brew... thick for a "weizen," but appropriate for a chocolate beer. However, that is about the end of the positive facets of this brew. Appearance wise, I was hoping for a nice choco-hue head on top, but nothing. The smell only had a faint bit of chocolate and not much else to it. The taste was decent, but compared to other chocolate brews that do it so well, this is a beer to pass on. Sad to have this one because I really enjoy Kinshachi's brews. If you are looking for another Kinshachi that really shows off what they can do, check out their Red Miso Lager (a famous ingredient from the Nagoya prefecture).

4.25/5  rDev n/a

Gigantic cascading thick tan foam on top of a near-black dark brown beer. The head is gorgeous and never ending, great fat-bubbled wallpaper! Smells exactly as it is described on the label: imperial chocolate hefeweizen. Big alcoholic roasty toasty cross between a dunkelweizen and a stout. Kind of reminds me of Aventinus. Tons of coffee and banana.

Very nice fullish body and pleasant taste. Balanced. A pretty strong motherfucker at 9%; you start to feel it as you finish it. Keeps reminding me of Aventinus! Totally different from any other Japanese beer, Kin-shachi's Imperial Chocolate Weizen is memorable. Recommended. Definitely worth a try if you see it.

Imperial Chocolate Weizen from Land Beer
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.