Bat's Breath Bock - Great Grains Brewery, Inc.

Bat's Breath BockBat's Breath Bock

pDev: n/a
Great Grains Brewery, Inc.
Texas, United States

Bock |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-27-2002)
Reviews by tang214:
3.68/5  rDev n/a

I recieved this beer as a Christmas gift from my sister. Although I am a bit confused. It is listed here as a Great Grains brew but the packaging states it is from Hill Country Brewing and Bottling in Austin. If anyone can clarify this for me please feel free to shoot me a message.

It pours a cloudy dark, slightly ruby color with minimal head that fades to a small ring of lace. It has distinct coffee notes in the nose. After first pouring the beer I thought I detected a hint of raspberry. The taste is mostly coffee and toffee with some secondary chocolate flavors. The mouthfeel is good as it covers all areas of the mouth. I am very glad I was given this beer because it is actually very good, even though I was initially skeptical.

1.85/5  rDev n/a

Pours a cloudy dark brown with lots of suspended sediment. Head is rather full and quite creamy; a curtain of thick sticky lace coats the glass. Aroma is of malt, grain and and bitter notes I cannot identify. Flavor is not pleasing with bitter notes and a strong alcohol taste. Aftertaste is strongly bitter, with burnt and sour, almost rancid notes. This beer has everything going for it except taste.

The Balcones Fault line was originally brewed by Hill Country Brewing and Bottling in Austin, Texas. It is now brewed by Great Grains Brewery in Dallas. The name "Balcones Fault" refers to a geological feature in the Hill Country around Austin, Texas.

Package reviewed was a 12 ounce brown glass longneck, no freshness date. Label states "malt liquor", though this may be the result of Texas' curious laws regarding alcohol content in beer. Label was applied crookedly, lots of residual glue on the bottle.

2.5/5  rDev n/a

Bought locally (Central Market N refrigerated shelves), a week in my fridge, reviewed 45F-60F.

Pouring violently gave a small, tan head with runny lacing. The head dies a quick death. The beer is murky dark brown with some red highlights and considerable sediment.

The smell is chocolate, toffee, milk gone bad (and I don't mean that in a good way). At warmer temps, the sick, gagging edge seems more vanilla-ish. The front is toffee and molasses. The middle is sour apples, with a thin, watery, flat feel. The finish is a little bitter with hints of chocolate. I've poured out some GG before when I wasn't sure if it was "gone bad" or just "bad". I had no trouble finishing this one.

I'm now only two beers away from notching a complete Great Grains, Yellow Rose by GG and Hill Country by GG collection. Yay.

2.85/5  rDev n/a

Bought this in an effort to try something I haven't had from my home state.

Appearance- Nice dark coffee color with average-sized, light brown head.

Smell- Light chocolate smell is overshadowed by nasty green apple smell. I hear the green apple smell (and taste) is a problem with many Great Grains products.

Taste- Smooth coffee taste with chocolate taste also detected. Barely noticeable green apple taste takes away some of the overall flavor. This tastes pretty good, but isn't what I thought a bock would be like.

Drinkability- If it weren't for the green apple taste/smell I would probably rate this a little higher. Plus the price and the fact that I have to drive half way across town to get Bat's Breath make it not really worth getting again.

Overall, I can see this being a better beer with a few brewing changes.

2.85/5  rDev n/a

Another beer from Great Grains but, in a dramatic break with tradition, this one did not make me gag. Pours a gorgeous clear ruby-tint chestnut with a tall, tan head. Aroma is dry roasted malts with just a hint of chocolate and maple syrup. Not much lacing going down but there are traces.

Taste is dry and malty again, mellow, not real sharp. Chocolate malts again in the background, still not a lot of sweetness or bitterness. No trace of hops that I can find. Flavors are not bad but lacking, could use a bit more spice. Tends to hit that precise "middle of the road" that neither sucks nor excels.

Mouthfeel is medium, smooth and drinkable. The taste remains a little flat even though the sample is fresh and carbonated. Needs just a little something else to give it that full completeness and desirability.

Other reviews reflect the more typical experience I've had with GG's brews, but this one was not too bad. Characteristic of this brewer to have widely varying degrees of product quality, most of which I've found to be unpalatable. Quality and consistency are by far not their strong suit.

Again, more evidence: The label for this beer clearly shows its title as "Bock" yet just beneath the name is listed "Extra Special Brew." Is this intended to be a bock or an ESB? 'Cause it misses on both styles.

2.03/5  rDev n/a

Pours a dark brown color with a light and cream-colored head. Nose is of sweet malts and bitter coffee. The flavor, as is the case with all of the Great Grains beers, has a strong undercurrent of sour apples. There are some sweet roasted malt flavors as well, but they are dominated by the sourness. I’m embarrassed to have a local brewery produce such poor beer.

Bat's Breath Bock from Great Grains Brewery, Inc.
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.