Liquid Gold - Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Liquid GoldLiquid Gold

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Billolick on 02-04-2006)

DSlim71, Jan 06, 2012

jkane101, Dec 17, 2011

SMason, Dec 17, 2011

LeoPanna, Dec 13, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

Nags head in Huntington pouts this in a tulip glass. It pours with a creamy white one inch head. The name liquid gold comes from the color of the beer though it's not a clear beer. It is translucent but cloudy. On the nose you smell aromas of raisins, sweetness, & a hint of honey. Our first taste does not disappoint us with its complexity. A very malty flavor with a hint of bitterness that is very subdued but helps clear the sweetness. The beer is substantial but not full-bodied. A very good drinking beer.

angelogarcia3, Dec 10, 2011

Rusty18, Dec 08, 2011

I got this filled in my German Style Growler at the Captain Lawrence Brewery. I cracked it open about a day and a half later.

White head that fades into a film leaving sticky lacing on the glass. Slightly hazy golden straw color body. Sporadic bubbles.

Mostly cloves, lemon grass with a mustiness. Smells really nice.

Mostly cloves and lemon grass like the aroma. I also get wheat and a sweetness that comes in the middle and blends in with all the other flavors. Quite tasty.

Light to medium body. Medium Carbonation, easy to go down but then becomes a little heavy in the belly after two beers.

I remember trying this at the brewery the first time I went there but didn't get a growler fill. I kicked myself in the ass when I got home. Now that I got myself a growler fill, I'm glad I did but it tastes better on tap. The only problem with this brew is, the immediate taste is wow but then it begins to dull down a bit as the consumption continues. I would have given a higher rating. Otherwise a tasty solid brew.

9InchNails, Nov 28, 2011

randomdanger, Nov 15, 2011

djrn2, Nov 15, 2011

kirbsicles, Nov 14, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a 32oz bottle purchased at New Beer Distributers; poured into a regular sized wine glass.

A: Pours a clear gold with a snow white head...well they got the name right.

S: Smells of spice, yeah, loads of spice. Its mostly clove with the suggestion of Belgian yeast and cane sugar.

T: Cloves are forefront, but the Belgian yeast is prominent. Hops actually appear in the taste, with that caramel apple flavour from Euro malts providing adequate balance.

D: Well, I finished the half-growler, so I guess this is pretty drinkable. However, I don't know if I would want to pound these if I had a line of taps to choose from.

Overall: This is a strange beer. Its almost a Belgian single/cream ale/English pale blend with a bucket-load of clove. I'll give it props, its original as hell and I certainly wouldn't mind having this in sixers.

JohnnyChicago, Oct 15, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a straw yellow color , slightly opaque, thick head that dissipates leaving nice lacing on the sides of the glass. Has a fruity nose with tones of yeast and spice. The flavor is bittersweet lemon citrus with a lot of spices and some malt, very well blended together, has a lingering sweet aftertaste. The mouthfeel is light, despite the creamy head, not to carbonated either. A very unusual beer with a unique and excellent flavor.

LAMAGS, Sep 13, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +20.4%

Good golden color. Nice 1" of head. Nice lacing. Smells spicy and earthy with the obvious malt aroma. Has plenty cloves, pepper, and even coriander. Medium body.

This is perhaps my favorite "session" beer. I know, a bit strong, but it's so incredibly drinkable I think of it as a session. A must-order everytime I see it at Bierkraft.

Serving type: on-tap/growler

dstueber, Sep 01, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +13.4%

First pour of the growler into my Stella chalice yeilds a very bright and ambient yellow-orange under a inch of suds that resided into a thin layer of icing. Small spots of lace and more than decent retention as the glass empties.

The aroma is very impressive ranging from sweet tropical fruits to pleasant candy sugar, some wheat also in the aroma as well as a big hint of spice.

Taste is not a let down. The aroma leads into the taste without any disapointment - belgian yeast, the mangos, oranges, lemon, kiwi and various other sweet fruit and a slightly bitter hop presence that is spot on. There is a lot going on in this beer that I just can't put my finger on.

The mouthfeel is slightly creamy, on the lighter side of medium-light bodied with a nice easy-going carbonation.

Overall this beer is very good and enjoyable, I'm glad I didn't overlook it like I did yesterday and grabbed a growler for $15, which was a few ounces over the 64oz marker. I would purchase again. Cheers

guitarsnbeer, Aug 17, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

Hi.

I waited 2 months to just try this beer.

When I did, I was at work! Seeing how I work in a bar, I needed to wait a really long time to jut sit back and 'TASTE' it...

The nose is just...otherworldly.
Spicy, almost like a mulled cider...floral and citrusy.

You'll never find another beer quite like this.
This took some balls to commit to....points for serious balls.
Like the East German Women's Swim Team thought Blue Moon was for sissies, and decided to DO something about it!

First sip is thin on the tongue, but, wait! What IS that?!
Something happened...but, I don't know what it was....

Second sip, and, there it was AGAIN!
Spicy...is it Allspice? Nutmeg? NO.
It's CLOVES.
TOLD you you'd never had a beer like this.

This is why my nose got the mulled cider vibe.
Like one of those Christmas Ornaments made from an orange and studded with cloves!

Yet, it's NOT a dark, seasonal beer! What's up with that?

It's thin on the FRONT of the tongue, but, once it reaches your back tongue region, it cloys and hangs on. Almost a bit too much! But, wait! Lemme try again!

You can see where this is going, no?

The bronze, almost sunset-ish color is misleading. It's not a Heifeweizen.

Find this beer.
Enjoy this beer.
Sit with friends and discuss this beer.
This is not a chugger.
If you're chugging this beer, then you are clearly a., drunk, and b., not paying for it.

joesmithrealname, Jul 27, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +13.4%

I enjoyed this flavorful beer with a steak and pommes frites this evening. The beer didn't really match well with the steak, but on it's own this beer was really good.

I thought it was interesting to call this a pale. The flavors were strong and complex. You get the pale malts and hops, but there was also clove. The hops were stronger than most pales.

As a reviewer, this made me question whether I should grade it worse because this shouldn't be called as a pale type. I liked it, so it received good grades.

ummswimmin, Jul 19, 2011
Liquid Gold from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.