Pleasantville Smoked Porter - Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Pleasantville Smoked PorterPleasantville Smoked Porter

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Porter |  6.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Billolick on 02-12-2006)

4.83/5  rDev +19.9%

Growler arrived last Friday afternoon...just in time for neighborhood game night with malt-loving Navy guy Mark (in town on leave from MS.) and his family. Initial aggressive pour is inky-black with virtually zero collar of foam...no matter how hard I tried.

Nose was roasty but only mildly rauch-like and the disappointment began to rise within of yet another unfulfilled (aka: Stone Smoked Porter) promise of an Alaskan wannabe. The feeling didn't last long...

The initial taste reveals everything this growler was hiding. The Lady in the parlor became a tramp in the bedroom, whispering everything I'd ever wanted to hear from a Smoked Porter...burnt caramel, toffee, and that Bamburg-y perfume which was not worn to excess like a $20 hooker.

Smokey? Of course, but in a refined, restrained way which left me both wishing for more and grateful that it wasn't there. Mouthfeel was palate-pleasing with restrained carbonation and the finish appropriately dry in order to entice one into the next sip.

Just happened to have the good fortune of pairing this with a BBQ Chicken Pizza...pure heaven.

Major props to gpcollen1 for gif'ing this out west!

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

Appearance - Miniscule bubbles at the head, black oil like appearance - my friends stared at it defiantly

Smell : Smokey and toasted essence of great brew

Taste - Starts with the smokey wooden flavor. Continues with healthy malt undertones, and completes with a great aftertaste. I couldnt help but insist a few people taste it with me.

Mouthfeel - Extremely smooth, not too thick - possibly more carbonation could help, but I couldnt complain

Drinkability - I could drink these all night long. I had three and would have had more had I not been so full. I would have skipped my dinner to have another

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

64oz growler from Mr. ineedabeerhere. Good looks, man!

A- Deep dark brown, nice head for a growler, sticky lacing, which is surprising me.

S- A wisp of smoke... campfire. Rich burnt coffee and caramel/molasses notes as well.

T- Mild dark fruit, a twang of acidic black coffee, and a wave of smoke fill the tongue. The smoke is very well incorporated.. Sometimes subtlety is where it's at. Really one of the best porters I've ever had.

M- Great body, good mouthfeel an a nice lingering (but mild) smoke flavor.

D- High. Goes down easy, no off-notes, and a wonderfully complex smoky element make this a tremendous beer. Of what I've had of Capt. Lawrence, this is waaay up there. I'll be buying three of growlers of this next time I'm in town..

4.78/5  rDev +18.6%

I avoided this beer recently because it's warm but I knew i'd try it because I love this brewery. Man was this a great beer! Really good toasty flavor and aroma, like the Sierra Nevada porter and stout. Really strong toast that is not so overwhelming that it tastes heavy. And with the 6.4 alcohol by volume i can polish off a few and still walk home. I think I have a new winter session beer to compliment the Captain Lawrence Freshchester pale ale in summer.

---

This beer was at Amsterdam Ale House again and I think I loved it just as much this time. Perfect balance of smoke, malt, roastiness, hops and alcohol.

4.63/5  rDev +14.9%

Appears a pitch black hue with some deep brown amber edges when held up to the light. Growler maintained great carbonation sealed tight with teflon tape wrapped around the lip of the growler and sealed with a metal cap. Huge chocolate milk tinged head dwindles down slow leaves behind some chunky sporadically spaced lacing around the rim of my tall imperial volume, German style pint glass. Aroma arises with herbal hop notes bringing earthy tea like and mild tree bark tones. Deep creamy slightly burnt marshmallow notes with milk chocolate infused cappuccino being the dominant smell attacking my senses. Arising from deep within the chocolate and coffee edges comes mild tart fruit combinations including tart white grape acidity. Taste wise it's incredibly flavorful but perfectly cohesive in the combinations of flavors. Upfront roasted malts bring dark toasted brown sugar and creamy milk chocolate notes with a mild lactic acidity coming on. Dry finish with burnt malt staying in the finish blended with definitive herbal and earthy hop qualities, also has a nutty character in there as well. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied creamy textured evenly carbonated, comes off silky smooth on the palate. That growler didn't stand a chance but it was definitely some world class brew after a 12 hour shift as a nurse and I went through four discharges, two transfer admissions, and two emergency room admissions...I'm defniitely ready for a beer or four. Captain Larry's fine porter was the perfect way to relax before waking up and repeating my day over again.

4.63/5  rDev +14.9%

A- Dark bown, almost black in color with a small bit of tan colored head
S-Nothing overwhelming, but faint notes of espresso
T-Strong notes of coffee and chocolate with a smokey flavor that is not over the top.
M-Smooth but, mild carbonation that provides a nice backbone to the beer
D-Fantastic example of an American Porter.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

My uncle got a growler for me onsite at the brewery.

Pours dark like STP. Smokey, obviously, with tastes of rich chocolate, coffee, creaminess and nutiness. Hints of black licorice which is my favorite part of this beer, making it very unique. Yum. Absolutely delicious.

I'm usually wishy-washy on porters because, though I love the taste of them, they are often avoided by me because after one I feel unable to drink for the rest of the night. They are so hefty and potent. After a single porter, my stomach doesn't feel like adding any more beer to it while my mouth is so overwhelmed that I can't drink anything else. But this is a surprisingly drinkable and refreshing smoked porter. Stone is maybe the only other brewery that makes a smoked porter I like as much as this one. The flavor stays in your mouth and your tongue well after you've swallowed a gulp. And you do gulp this beer it is so amazing. So complex. Don't drink this one too cold or you'll miss out on its subtleties. It can be enjoyed at near room temperature, maybe just a little chilled. A beautiful, unique beer. Not for everybody, not for "amateur" drinkers, but I think this is one most beer enthusiasts will adore.

I can't wait to hopefully find and try more Captain Lawrence beers. It is surely one of the most exciting American breweries around nowadays.

And now I have an empty growler. Time to start a jug band.

Aaron
www.theviceblog.com

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

This one gets a solid 4.5 score (I liked it so much that I almost just went with a straight 5, but I figured maybe I should be somewhat critical).

Poured into a regular pint glass, the beer was pitch black with a creamy slightly-tan head. It tasted roasty, but not too smokey - just right. Despite thinking "oh I probably couldn't drink more than one glass of this, it's too rich," I had another half-size glass after I was done... and that was my second time sampling this beer. Definitely had a delicious, dark chocolate kind of a flavor to it. I recommend it to ANYONE who likes their beers the way I drink my coffee - black.

...also recommended to anyone else who likes black coffee.

served from a 64oz. growler into pint glasses, purchased today at the brewery

A: Lovely deep brown, reminds me of root beer. Aggressive pour yielded a nice 2-finger tan head that leaves very little lacing. Quickly goes away leaving a slight swirling effect as you drink.

S: Smells strongly of cola and roasted coffee, not much in the way of hops comes through. Very appealing.

T/M: Yum! A very creamy texture, softly carbonated, allows the ample roasted flavors of bready, buttery goodness. A healthy dose of sweet cookie dough in the middle balances things out, and ample bitterness from the coffee flavors finishes things out. Superb!

D: This could easily be an all-day drinking beer, perfectly balanced, it beckons you to have another glass. If you find yourself anywhere near Capt. Lawrence's facility, make sure to stop by and sample this!

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

This is one fabulous smoked brew done right! Total Rauchbier in disguise. Plenty of smoked malt, though not overly assertive, proudly proclaims the style. Unlike many American "smoked" beers, no expense was spared in the prep of this one. Crisp, slightly sweet but lacking the cloying syrupy accompaniment that many other related products have. Absolutely delicious, refreshing and very Germanic, this is a valiant effort in every way!

4.48/5  rDev +11.2%

First I have to admit to being a huge Captain Lawrence fan...add to that the fact that the brewery is less than 25 minutes away and I'm there every Saturday :)

Pours dark blackish with a dense tight tan head. Initial taste is like a smokey punch in the mouth..however that fades quickly and you never quite get that smokey kick again ..it just remains a subtle flavor after the initial taste.
Velvety smooth in the mouth.

I have to admit that the first time I sampled it I thought..wow I dont think this could ever be something I drink alot of. Boy was I wrong...to me this is an all day drinker. In fact i get at least 1-2 growlers a week.

Congrats Scott on another truely fine beer...

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a viscous dark chocolate with a lovely cocoa head that quickly disappears into a tiny ring around my glass. The aroma is quite the combination of roast, chocolate and smoke; with each inhale being a little bit different. I get hints of those chocolate covered cherries, like right after someone bites into one.

The taste is crisp with a bit of carbonation rolling across the tongue. Flavors folow the aroma; sometimes I get a bit more smoke and sometimes more wonderful deep chocolate flavors swirling around my mouth. Some nice coffee comes in on the finish and ushers in some of the hops, finishing smooth and dry.

I have gone through many a growler of this brew before reviewing this one. Though the appearance and aromas don't bump any of the great brews out there, the taste is quite friggin good and it is quite nice on the palate with just the right amount of carbonation and a nice progression of flavors through the swallow. This is absolutely one of the more drinkable beers I have experienced; evidenced by the empty growlers I rinse out on a weeknight. No doubt this one is going to die a quick death tonight.

Cheers to Scott and his elves; see you next week!!

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

Dark brown with a nice tan frothy head.
Smells like roasted malts and a hint of coffee.
Tastes great. Just barely sweet , nice roasted malt and espresso flavor , blended well with a good dose of smoke...but not overpowering....a nice little hop bite near the finish ....a classic slight chalk hint at the end.
Mouthfeel is medium/light...medium carbonation.
Very drinkable. Another treasure from the Captain.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed a couple pints of this one at Bobbique's in Patchogue last night...
Arrived in a standard shaker, dark brown in color with a full finger and a half of chestnut-colored head...most of which remained for half the pint and left some thick, yet spotty lacing.
A nice balanced aroma of dark chocolate, caramel, and green hops.
The taste is simply awesome, though not overly smoked. Huge dark chocolate with a small dose of coffee, but complemented well by some floral hops that bittered up the back end. The roasted malt added just enough sweetness to balance the hops...finished very clean and crisp.
Mouthfeel was quite thick, especially for a porter and the carbonation was sublime.
One of my all around favorite brews...I would drink this one all evening if the opportunity presented itself.
A must have IMHO.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 64oz growler into a 20oz imperial pint. Extra special thanks to Ineedabeerhere for this from our most recent trade! Growler filled at 5pm 3/13/10.

A: Pours a shade of dark brown so close to black, but not quite. Some ruby highlights at the bottom and edges when held to the light. Capping this is a marshmallow-y, dark khaki, three finger head that clings for dear life and leaves some sticky lace behind.

S: Surprisingly, not a huge smokey nose with this one. Heavily roasted malt combines nicely with some dark chocolate, fudge, and coffee. Also detected the aroma of fresh baked brownies.

T: See above. Some campfire smoke makes an appearance early in the game along with the aforementioned dark chocolate, coffee, and fudge. Also along for the ride is a hint of cherry and/or lemon.

M: Suprisingly smooth. That's not to say that there isn't a bit of that Porter-ish bitter tang in there (there is!) but along with the prickle, there's a wonderful smoothness that coats the tongue and hangs around for ages.

D: I don't care if this doesn't fit some archaic english definition of "sessionable" but dammit, I could spend a day with this beer. Thanks go out to Joe for hooking a brother up!

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bought this growler on a visit to the brewery today. I am pouring a cold sample into a pint glass. The beer pours pitch black with creamy tan head of 3 cm foaming up easily. Aroma is a mix of chocolate and roast malt scents. I also get a little smokiness that is fairly firepit ashy. Subdued but present.
Silky smooth body with a creamy texture. Very mild and soft carbonation. Flavor is chocolate and brown sugar up front with some roasted notes and then a soft hit of smoke, like a candle blowing out. Slight tangy chocolate flavor lingers and is mixed with an espresso bite. The finish is mild but long lasting and tasty.
This is quite a nice beer, I am glad I made the trip to the brewery. You should go to!

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%

I got a filled 22oz bottle in a trade with nutbrown. Thanks Alan!

Nice dark brown pour with a 1 finger head of tannish foam. Lots of lacing here and good head retention until about 3/4s of the way through my glassful.

I smell some roasted malt, chocolate, some coffee, and a touch of smoke. Overall, a swetish smell.

Yum. A very nice taste. First thing I notice is a flavourful coffee that expands into some chocolate, roasted malt, a good smokiness, some sweet malt that offsets the coffee bitterness nicely...again, yum. Nice medium mouthfeel and the light carbonation works very well. I'm especially fond of the coffee bitterness finish that lingers on for some time. This is a very good Smoked Porter indeed and when they are done right, they're one of my favourite styles.

Drinkability is right up there as I find myself taking sip after sip and the contents of the bottle are disappearing far too rapidly.

A big thanks again go out to nutbrown for letting me sample yet another fine Captain Lawrence brew!

Pleasantville Smoked Porter from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.