Xtra Gold Tripel - Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Xtra Gold TripelXtra Gold Tripel

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Tripel |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: John on 08-14-2006

Ratings: 369 | Reviews: 211
4.92/5  rDev +22.1%

Had it on tap at The Ginger Man in NYC.

Pours a sparkling and completely clear yellow/gold with little head retention and light lacing. Makes for a very attractive pint.

The nose floored me. Complex and powerful scent of lemon, hops, tropical flowers, and burnt sugar. Filled the entire space around the glass. I would wear this as cologne if they packaged it in a spray bottle.

Taste was exceptionally balanced. I was pleasantly surprised by the strength of the hop character, which was perfectly balanced by thick pale malts. Up front notes of lemon as well, delivering on the promise made in the nose.

A very full mouthfeel for a beer with a fairly light color and notable clarity. The body is relatively thick without being syrupy, the perfect vehicle to deliver this exceptionally delicious brew.

By the time I finished my pint, I was completely blown away. This immediately became one of my favorite beers. That said, I had it again a few days later at barcade and it was overly lemony in both nose and taste and the body wasn't as impressive. Not sure if this was from batch variation or handling or tap lines or what, but that one I had at the Ginger Man came pretty close to the perfect pint.

4.78/5  rDev +18.6%

Growler from Bierkraft into Hennepin flute.

A--Pure gold. Body is very reminiscent of champagne (look out Miller high Life--we may have a new winner), tawny and golden. Spot on for the style. Head is almost three fingers of dense creamy white foam. Retention is remarkable, lacing is significant.

S--Sweet, with the candi sugar filling out the fruitiness of it, with considerable sweet nectarine, apricot, and a bit of citric (from the hops) tangy notes. Almost a cross between orange and apricot, or a muted grapefruit-peach hybrid. Less lemony, more limey, actually, which is weird and refreshing and wow do I have to taste this,

T--Even better. On the cool side it's quite sweet with more of that apricot swish in the middle. Fat, juicy malt shows the honey sweetness of the candi sugar it can meet its match. Some more tanginess from a nudge of hops, maybe cascade--dunno, but it's citric rather than floral, and the finish is parching and subtle and incredible. The sweet fruitiness of the opening of the tasting gives way to a gracious dry bow from the hops. This is nowhere near an IPA, but the hops are there, and complement the style tremendously from judicious, masterful use.

M&D--Creamy, bubbly, lively and fun. Alcohol warms as the beer does, but not in an unwelcome way. I had to take my next glass with food because I was getting an insta-headache, but that's just the way the Tripel rolls. Drinkability is fantastic and totally a million percent dangerous.

Wow. Maybe the best American beer I've ever had. This is a masterpiece, right up there with CL's Nor'Easter.

4.7/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Split a 50 while watching the Presidential debate.
Fresh bottle from the brewery.

A: Very nice hazy golden color with a finger and a half of white head. Good lacing.

S: Nice citrus notes up front. The yeast pour produced some nice sour notes. Oranges.

T: Big orange flavor right up front. Hints of grapefruit right behind that. On tap is was more clean. The bottle has wonderful notes produced by the yeast. This is a Belgian IPA and a damn fine one. The hops are there throughout and wonderful.

M: Nice body. Carbonation is low but it suits the syrupy tone of this beer.

D: Really great beer. The orange flavor on this beer makes it amazing. I have a 2006 in the cellar. This one might be better fresh and you would loose the wonderful hop taste.

4.67/5  rDev +15.9%

I bought this one wayyy back, during a time when this one was making its round at Connecticut Ave Wine and Spirits in DC.

I poured this into a DuClaw Colossus snifter, because... it's the only one I have left now that I've broken one of two of my CCB snifters and left the other over at Huhzubendah's place. Dammit!

A: Poured a solid gold color (no surprise there), just a bit of protein haze, with a nice 1/4 finger head that had great staying power.

S: Gloriously citrusy and funky. If I didn't know the style of this thing going in, I would have definitely pegged this as a Saison based on the nose.

T: Once again, the resemblance to a farmhouse saison is staggering. There is even a tinge of sour, lemon-like character, along with a great fresh filtered-water aftertaste. Even the back of this one has a fresh citrus quality that resemble freshly squeezed orange juice. Slightly drying, and with a mild alcohol burn that hit just the right chord.

M: The well disciplined, tameness on the sweet elements was perfect, the carbonation was high for a Tripel, but made this refreshing nonetheless. The lacing was very splotchy indeed.

O: I totally wasn't expecting this to be as good as it was. To date, the best damn Tripel I've ever tasted... seriously.

4.67/5  rDev +15.9%

Pours a murky, rusty, dusty light orange into my Troubadour Tulip. Head rises without encouragement to a lofty 2 inches and slowly settles to a puffy lace lying around here and there. Aroma is spicy, somehow light and citrusy sweet - though hints of alcohol waft in here and there. Then again, sometimes it is pure orange peel - not zest, but peel with lots of pithe to accomodate thte hoppy bitterness.

This hits the mouth with the feel of a Belgian Golden or Pale Ale and moves forward from there. Hints of spice and carbonation jump on the tongue. Sweetness is almost floral, though I cannot pretend to place the flowers by name. Carbonation takes a run up the tongue and dances a citrusy sweet jig around about until it dries into a mild hop goodness. Gives me a slight pucker as it dries out the mouth a bit and slides a thin layer of bittery dryness that induces another sip. Medium bodied and quite drinkable for the style to say the least.

Scotty, beam me up! I have been to heaven and back in the world of American Tripels. The citrus, sweetness and bitterness are all pretty amazingly perfect. Reminds of something similar in 'philosophy' to the Houblon Chouffe, which is a compliment indeed. This is superbly drinkable and I like it as much as, if not better than, the original - though the original was really good in my eyes (I have not reviewed it yet). Was supposed to but oh well - I have a few bottles left so it will come in time, like many other things. Bottom line here is very, very nice Scott!!

4.63/5  rDev +14.9%

ok, moving onto another Captain Brew that I grabbed from a few weeks ago. So far so good for this brewery. Really skilled brewing... let's give xtra gold a whirl

A- nice, this brew gleams golden rays of color with spotted lacing consuming the sides of the glass. The brew looks very intimidating and inviting at the same time. The hazy look even adds to the brew's characteristics. I am digging ye captain's bounty

S- assault of the previously reviewed tropical fruit with overwhelming.... yet, to die for citrus. There is a candy like scent that is perfectly assigned to following the tripel scents. Some herbs and spices top this off. Very strong and revealing

T- I love this yeast strand! Same citrus and pepper flavors dominate the buttery taste profile. Some uplifting lemony taste blend towards the end. This is the most tasty tripel in the existence of man. Great attributes of the ipa presentation no doubt contribute to this

M- creamy and carbonated. Perfect description for this style

D- I can't believe that I am going crazy about another brew from Captain Lawrence! Xtra Gold is so delicious and drinkable as well. They need to get to Syracuse ASAP!!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A wonderful 750ml bottle that I was lucky enough to acquire in a trade recently. I had been wanting to try some of these more delicate beers from Captain Lawrence and I got my wish here. Served chilled and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 01/01/2009.

The pour was very nice. Rich amber in color with a light cloudiness to it. A good sized head of white came up over the top and settled down nicely into a small layer of foam across the top. Some light carbonation could be seen streaming up from the bottom of the glass.

The aroma was very nice and very complex. Light grain in the base and then a blast of sour notes coming through. Very, very nice. Light apples, pears, peaches, hints of anise and lovely earthy notes coming throughout. THe flavor was clean, crisp, sharp. Alcohol was totally hidden here beneath of blanket of nice fruit and light spices. Smooth finish here left a subtle tartness in the mouth and a really nice light grain flavor and a hint of green apples. Smooth mellow carbonation and a really fine finish,

Overall for a triple, this was fantastically drinkable. No hints of alcohol at all and really just amazingly complex. I would love to try this one on tap as I heard it is mind blowing. This is one that needs to be sought out!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a hazy golden tan with a silky white head. Excellent lacing and retention.

Nose has floral hops over fruity malts, citurs, spicy yeast and sweet candies.

Taste also has a good amount of bitter hops up front and through the finish. Well balanced by a tropical fruits, caramel malts and peppery Belgian yeast.

Medium body a bit over carbonated, but still nice. Great Belgian IPA from CL.

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%

This is such good stuff.
Nice clear gold....beautiful white head .
Smells of pome fruits, hay, alcohol and lots of spice.
I taste everything I love about Belgians ( OK , it's an American Trippel ..whatever).
It's sweet and fruity, with some hints of bubblegum, grass , must, yeast and wood...vanilla too. Very complex...just when you think it's perfect, it warms and there's even more to it. I can't really tell what spices I'm tasting, and don't know if any were added or if it's just the yeast.The hops are perfect.
The mouthfeel is medium to almost heavy....very carbonated...a bit drier than it was on tap at the brewery.
It reminds me very much of their Liquid Gold , but more intense in every aspect.
This was a limited release...why didn't I buy more ??
Scott V. is brewing some fantastic stuff .

4.59/5  rDev +13.9%

Light gold, clear. Large white head builds up quickly and then disappears turning into thin but even cover. Aroma is heavenly. Refreshing citrus notes play together with candy sweetness. Like a perfectly tart orange candy. Taste is wonderful too. Sweetness hits the tongue first followed by dry hoppy bitterness. Alcohol can be felt not in the taste, but in how warming the beer is. This ale is light to medium body and interestingly, I find that lightness will be noticed more in the summer while alcohol will keep you warm in the winter. Mouthfeel is plesant, but this is not a beer to gulp down. I enjoy savoring it slowly.

I gotta say that I wanted to take a sip as soon as I opened the bottle and smelled the wonderful aroma. I am a big fan of Captain Lawrence and Scott Vaccaro. It was a big plus for our area when Scott moved back to NY state. Such a wonderful ale!

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a bomber into my bruery tulip.

A- very beautiful beer. Light goldenrod orangish yellow with a bright white 2 1/2 finger head. Lace galore is assaulting my glass. Appearance sort of reminds me of lemonade.

S- Belgian then Belgian American immigrant. Yeasty presents itself and is gracefully followed by ripe fresh fruit salad. Pineapples mixing with orange juice. Superb.

T- slight hop bite with some Belgian influence. Really sweet fruits burst out and orange juice with a suggestion of alcohol is a wonderful flavor.

M-really fresh feel. Not heavy or burdersome just refreshing. A tight even carbonation is great. I see nothing wrong with this feel.

Overall a well made beer. Great style fusion. I wish I had access to this,if I did it would be in my fridge alot. Complex enough to make you want to sip But refreshing and tasty enough to want to down a whole glass. Great beer

4.55/5  rDev +12.9%

Holy moly, been sitting on this 2006 brew from the BA Get Bombed annv. Club - sent from gpcollen1 - thanks again George!

Big ol' 750 hisses as the top is popped, tried to foam out, but I was ready with the Corsendonk tulip. Luvley golden brew, of course massive white topping that sticks like glue.

Excellent aroma of spices, apple, apricot - quaff just mirrors these and adds a sturdy malt backbone. A touch of hops still kick in the finish. Well carbonated and sips like a dream - no hint of the high power abv. Maybe it's the aging, but this is a top-notch tripel - American style.

4.55/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A_Pours a hazy straw golden hue with a big fluffy white head. A steady stream of bubbles rises from the murky depths of the snifter to replenish the lofty crown. Sheets of lace cover the glass. The only drawback here is the head does not remain as long as it could.

S_The aroma is a delightful blend of grassy and medicinal hops, cloves, allspice, sweet honey and a hint of citrus.

T_The sweet honey flavour dominates at first which quickly delves into a hop explosion of grassy and medicinal tastes. The finish is very dry and reveals hints of wild flowers, cloves, white pepper and a citic astringency. The yeast is there throughout providing the spices and a nice lightly baked bread note. Ont he whole perfectly on the dry side with just a bit of sweetness.

M_Dry and effervecent like the best of the style.

D_A very interesting take on the tripel style. Very American in the liberal use of hops but with all the classic hallmarks of the style. I have had this on tap a few times before without reviewing it but I have to say I am glad to have that i haven't. The bottled version is superior.

4.53/5  rDev +12.4%

Hunted down a 750mL bottle and poured into pint glasses. Was pretty excited to find since I've had Capt Lawrence at bars but hard to get bottles.

A/S- The lacing stands out, with golden and hazy appearance. Sweet, citrus smell.

T/M- Slight alcohol with lemon and bready taste. Great Tripel, love this beer.

Highly impressed, another quality brew by Capt Lawrence.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured into a Duvel glass. Nice bright, chill hazy golden with a pretty three fingers of near-white froth. Quite pillowy in appearance with lots of multi-shaped bubbles.
Aroma of dry champagne, honeydew, fresh baked bread. Nice fruity alcoholl vapor fills the nostrils.
Zesty yet dry in the mouth. Saltine cracker maltiness, with a nice burst of juicy fruity hop flavor. Kiwi, mango...of that variety. Zesty, juicy, then dry mouthfeel. Touch of tartness on the backend. Alcohol very well hidden...excellent version of an American Tripel...probably the best I have tasted. And a very nice beer for my 200th review.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Bottle purchased at Captain Lawrence Brewing in Pleasantville.
I poured the xtra gold into a Duvel tulip glass. The appearance is a medium hazy yellow with a large frothy head. It smells of citrus and some light spice. Taking a sip, I taste grapefruit, hops and some of the malt. It tastes very, very good and it is a great tripel from the U.S., which is not always the end result of this style from U.S. brewers. The mouthfeel is sweet, hoppy, some of that warm alcohol comes through as well. But for 10%, xtra gold is by no means overpowering. Drinkability is there on this spectacular beer from Captain Lawrence, very glad that I picked up this bottle after finally making the trip down to see their brewery in person.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours clear, light gold, with a lively, massive head.
At least three inches of dense white froth settle down slowly, revealing some beautifull lacework. A singular strand of minute orbs relentlessly ascend from the bottom of the tulip glass.
Aromatics are filled with fruit, vanilla, and warming alcohol. A kiss of malt and honey finish through, along with a minerally nod.
The classic Belgian triple nose paired perfectly with fresh peaches and tangerines. Wowza.
The mouthfeel is crisp and creamy, with vibrant carbonation.
Tropical fruits and phenols dominate the pallet, with warming alcohol following closely behind.
Exeptionally dry and fruity. Bitterness is firm and smooth, but not overbearing. Most of the hopping is in the flavoring and aromatics.
Alcohol is warming, and the beer is a bit big for style...Perfect!
Finishes with lingering orange, peach, and marmalade melange,
some minimal lingering heat, with a faint vanilla note.

Probably the best domestic triple I've ever had.

Big thanks to EriktheRed for hooking me up!

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Rcielsa hooked me up with this bottle, thanks man.

750 ml. bottle poured into a chalice.

Pours a foggy sunset orange hue with a full two finger pillowy white head that slowly dies down to a soft layer of foam. Nice lacing left on the sides of the glass. Smell is pretty hoppy up front, I guess that's why Scott calls it an "American Tripel". Sweet grapefruit, honey, and yeast in the nose to begin with. Some apple and pear combined with faint pepper and spice as well. Sweet fruit flavors consisting of pear, tangerine, and white grapes at first. Midway the bread-like characteristics emerge with the yeasts and pale malts. Aftertaste is a touch dry with honey, grapefruit, lemongrass and lingering alcohol. Best tasting Tripel that I have experienced by far. Soft medium body with a pleasant carbonation. The 10% abv is hidden extremely well, be careful with this one. I'm not a fan of the style and I haven't tried too many, but this is by far the best overall Tripel I've sampled. I'm thinking because it's hopped up, but hey, that's the hophead in me. Hell of a beer, get your hands on this one for sure.

4.48/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From tasting notes. Perfumy, flowery, peach, fruit, citrus nose. Pours brilliant deep amber under a 3” finely bubbled persistent foam cap that leaves thick lace. Yeast driven fruity palate – large pitted fruits with touches of citrus on a light malt backbone with a hop accent on the finish. A hint of cardamom and herbs. Medium body and medium to medium low carbonation.

4.47/5  rDev +10.9%

750mL bottle courtesy of gregc poured into a tulip.

Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a big billowy white head that shows excellent retention and lacing.

The aroma is very sweet with lots of pears and green apples on top of some Belgian candi sugar. There are some lightly toasted pale malts as well as some citrus fruits, especially tangerines and pineapples.

The taste is excellent with the sweet sugar coated pears and apples mixing with the citrus presence of the pineapples and lemons. The taste brings in a bit of yeast that wasn't as prevalent in the aroma with the finish having a little bit of pepper.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lots of carbonation and sugary sweet on the palate.

An excellent tripel with a complex and well-integrated taste that brings a bunch of different elements together extremely well. Highly recommended!

4.46/5  rDev +10.7%

just released, batch 2.. brown fancy label. 750ml

cloudy yellow with a heart of orange haze. lumpy bubble crust thin atop this brew.. not much to look at, really. subsequent warmer pours draw a bulkier foam, but whatever. can smell the lemony-lime hop/yeast combination from a good foot away. closer analysis yields hollow amarillo sweetness inhabited by the heft of a peppery yeast-flaked, honey drenched belgian bomb. although when i drink, the hop bitterness clearly takes over and masks what sweetness the tripel aspect of this beer would have brought to the table. not to mention it's pretty light bodywise and goes down mad easy.. if you told me this was a B pale ale or even and experimental APA i might believe you. that special dryness that you only get out of belgian yeast strain fermentation is what exists to remind me as the sips finish. even the alcohol content is currently masked by the sharp, fresh bitterness of crystalline green and sticky citrus hops. warmth serves to even out the playing field a bit, and shades of the first (and inferior) batch of XG arise. normally, i like my tripels closer to room temperature, but the chilly exclamation point this beer provides in its current state makes my mouth water, and i feel both refreshed and satisfied by its integrity.

if the capn can improve a batch so furiously from #1 to #2, i can only imagine where they will be in five years.

4.44/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours from the 750ml bottle with a light gold color. Decent clarity, even on the second pour. The head is a nice thin lace around the edges that is easily revived with a swirl.

I've had this beer a few times before and thought they were hoppier then. Perhaps this isn't as fresh. Still, the amount of hops right now add a nice dimension to the Tripel style. I don't usually think throwing extra hops in any style of beer makes it better, but it works here. The lightly floral and citrus character of the hops blends nicely with the spicy and sticky sweet character coming from the yeast. The impressive thing is that the nose is as hoppy as an IPA and as yeasty as a Belgian Tripel.

The flavor impresses me as well. The hops don't clash at all with the Belgian style beer. It tastes like they were meant to be used in a tripel. The bitterness stands out a little bit on the finish, but not much. This style is supposed to have a good amount of bitterness.

The sweetness is heavily influenced by candy sugar. There is also an herbal element that blends nicely with the fresh, floral aspect from the hops. It's all simple, but effective.

The carbonation is a bit below average for the style but fits well. The body is thick and sugary with an almost grainy feel to it. This is one of my favorites. One bottle is plenty for right now, but I'll get it again.

4.44/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Captain Lawrence, Xtra Gold Tripel (Tasted 11/18/08)
750 ml. bottle: poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Gold, duh. Head is a frothy white monster composed of tight bubbles, foams up quickly, then fades down into a one-inch cap, minimal lacing.
Odor: Pear, banana, pepper and faint grapefruit against a canvas of candy-sweet Belgian malt aromas.
Consistency: Creamy, medium body. Peppery alcohol and hop bitterness prickles at the tongue, however the carbonation level is perfect, this beer is still as soft & smooth as a babies bottom. There's a somewhat syrupy background to the feel, but it's barely noticeable with everything else going on.
Flavor: Pear and soft sweet bready malt rushes in first, joined by the aforementioned peppery alcohol notes and a bit of grassy hop flavor. Alcohol warmth sets in slowly, some honey flavors come into view as the hop flavors intensify, slight grapefruit and pineapple juiciness. Finish is clean, leaving a bit of grassy, bitter hop flavor and spice behind.

I'm pretty sure this bottle has been sitting in a warehouse for a while because the hop flavors are not nearly as intense as noted by others, but that's the beauty of it. While the hop flavors have become less intense over time, it's still a damned fine tripel. I hope to get a taste of this fresh in the near future.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

This is a 750 ml bottle received from Kegatron in the Dee Snider and the Twisted 6s BIF. Thanks Heath!

This is an American interpretation of a Tripel, so I'm going to review rather leniently against the Belgian Tripel style. Label even states that it can't be called a Belgian style.

Poured a cloudy golden color in the glass. Lots of fluffy white head, but it didn't last, gone in about a minute.

Aromas of hops, citrusy. Not to belgian style, but this is an American interpretation. Good balance though. Not much malt, but the hops aren't overpowering, and the Amarillo hops add a nice contrast. Alcohol hidden nicely in the aromas.

First sip, the citrus (lemons and tangerines) is a nice contrast to most belgian tripels, I think it plays very nicely. Still good balance between hops and malt. No alcohol warmth until the beer warms up a bit, but it doesn't smack you. Again, very nice balanced beer.

Mouthfeel is medium, not cloying, not overly bitter. Nice spritzy carbonation, but not a heavy carbonic bite. I might soften the carbonation a little. But still a fantastic beer.

Drinkability - drinks very light for such high alcohol level. This is going to sneak up on me later, but I would go back for a second bottle in a heartbeat. Very nice beer. Seek this out.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours gold in color with plenty of carbonation and a decent inch of head on the pour. Smell is juicy, citrusy hops and some belgian yeast.
Taste is a perfect balance of belgian and IPA. This is the first of the style that I have thoroughly enjoyed. The hops are very citrusy and work well in this Tripel. Plenty of carbonation and bitterness in the hops that create a wonderful mouth feel. Wonderful beer and you never notice the 10% ABV. I could drink this regularly, very well done and enjoyable.

Xtra Gold Tripel from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.