Xtra Gold Tripel - Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Xtra Gold TripelXtra Gold Tripel

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Tripel |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: John on 08-14-2006)

despond, Nov 20, 2011

Ineedabeerhere, Dec 12, 2011

patm1986, Jan 11, 2012

cowboy83, Jun 06, 2012
4.93/5  rDev +21.4%

Had it on tap at The Ginger Man in NYC.

Pours a sparkling and completely clear yellow/gold with little head retention and light lacing. Makes for a very attractive pint.

The nose floored me. Complex and powerful scent of lemon, hops, tropical flowers, and burnt sugar. Filled the entire space around the glass. I would wear this as cologne if they packaged it in a spray bottle.

Taste was exceptionally balanced. I was pleasantly surprised by the strength of the hop character, which was perfectly balanced by thick pale malts. Up front notes of lemon as well, delivering on the promise made in the nose.

A very full mouthfeel for a beer with a fairly light color and notable clarity. The body is relatively thick without being syrupy, the perfect vehicle to deliver this exceptionally delicious brew.

By the time I finished my pint, I was completely blown away. This immediately became one of my favorite beers. That said, I had it again a few days later at barcade and it was overly lemony in both nose and taste and the body wasn't as impressive. Not sure if this was from batch variation or handling or tap lines or what, but that one I had at the Ginger Man came pretty close to the perfect pint.

FreightTrain, May 16, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Growler from Bierkraft into Hennepin flute.

A--Pure gold. Body is very reminiscent of champagne (look out Miller high Life--we may have a new winner), tawny and golden. Spot on for the style. Head is almost three fingers of dense creamy white foam. Retention is remarkable, lacing is significant.

S--Sweet, with the candi sugar filling out the fruitiness of it, with considerable sweet nectarine, apricot, and a bit of citric (from the hops) tangy notes. Almost a cross between orange and apricot, or a muted grapefruit-peach hybrid. Less lemony, more limey, actually, which is weird and refreshing and wow do I have to taste this,

T--Even better. On the cool side it's quite sweet with more of that apricot swish in the middle. Fat, juicy malt shows the honey sweetness of the candi sugar it can meet its match. Some more tanginess from a nudge of hops, maybe cascade--dunno, but it's citric rather than floral, and the finish is parching and subtle and incredible. The sweet fruitiness of the opening of the tasting gives way to a gracious dry bow from the hops. This is nowhere near an IPA, but the hops are there, and complement the style tremendously from judicious, masterful use.

M&D--Creamy, bubbly, lively and fun. Alcohol warms as the beer does, but not in an unwelcome way. I had to take my next glass with food because I was getting an insta-headache, but that's just the way the Tripel rolls. Drinkability is fantastic and totally a million percent dangerous.

Wow. Maybe the best American beer I've ever had. This is a masterpiece, right up there with CL's Nor'Easter.

TheycallmeTim, Apr 04, 2009

probert, Sep 01, 2014

ls6-m22, Jun 13, 2014

redliner8, Sep 14, 2012

GennyCreamAle, Apr 05, 2013
4.72/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Split a 50 while watching the Presidential debate.
Fresh bottle from the brewery.

A: Very nice hazy golden color with a finger and a half of white head. Good lacing.

S: Nice citrus notes up front. The yeast pour produced some nice sour notes. Oranges.

T: Big orange flavor right up front. Hints of grapefruit right behind that. On tap is was more clean. The bottle has wonderful notes produced by the yeast. This is a Belgian IPA and a damn fine one. The hops are there throughout and wonderful.

M: Nice body. Carbonation is low but it suits the syrupy tone of this beer.

D: Really great beer. The orange flavor on this beer makes it amazing. I have a 2006 in the cellar. This one might be better fresh and you would loose the wonderful hop taste.

aerozeppl, Oct 08, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

I bought this one wayyy back, during a time when this one was making its round at Connecticut Ave Wine and Spirits in DC.

I poured this into a DuClaw Colossus snifter, because... it's the only one I have left now that I've broken one of two of my CCB snifters and left the other over at Huhzubendah's place. Dammit!

A: Poured a solid gold color (no surprise there), just a bit of protein haze, with a nice 1/4 finger head that had great staying power.

S: Gloriously citrusy and funky. If I didn't know the style of this thing going in, I would have definitely pegged this as a Saison based on the nose.

T: Once again, the resemblance to a farmhouse saison is staggering. There is even a tinge of sour, lemon-like character, along with a great fresh filtered-water aftertaste. Even the back of this one has a fresh citrus quality that resemble freshly squeezed orange juice. Slightly drying, and with a mild alcohol burn that hit just the right chord.

M: The well disciplined, tameness on the sweet elements was perfect, the carbonation was high for a Tripel, but made this refreshing nonetheless. The lacing was very splotchy indeed.

O: I totally wasn't expecting this to be as good as it was. To date, the best damn Tripel I've ever tasted... seriously.

Chaney, Oct 15, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours a murky, rusty, dusty light orange into my Troubadour Tulip. Head rises without encouragement to a lofty 2 inches and slowly settles to a puffy lace lying around here and there. Aroma is spicy, somehow light and citrusy sweet - though hints of alcohol waft in here and there. Then again, sometimes it is pure orange peel - not zest, but peel with lots of pithe to accomodate thte hoppy bitterness.

This hits the mouth with the feel of a Belgian Golden or Pale Ale and moves forward from there. Hints of spice and carbonation jump on the tongue. Sweetness is almost floral, though I cannot pretend to place the flowers by name. Carbonation takes a run up the tongue and dances a citrusy sweet jig around about until it dries into a mild hop goodness. Gives me a slight pucker as it dries out the mouth a bit and slides a thin layer of bittery dryness that induces another sip. Medium bodied and quite drinkable for the style to say the least.

Scotty, beam me up! I have been to heaven and back in the world of American Tripels. The citrus, sweetness and bitterness are all pretty amazingly perfect. Reminds of something similar in 'philosophy' to the Houblon Chouffe, which is a compliment indeed. This is superbly drinkable and I like it as much as, if not better than, the original - though the original was really good in my eyes (I have not reviewed it yet). Was supposed to but oh well - I have a few bottles left so it will come in time, like many other things. Bottom line here is very, very nice Scott!!

gpcollen1, May 03, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

ok, moving onto another Captain Brew that I grabbed from a few weeks ago. So far so good for this brewery. Really skilled brewing... let's give xtra gold a whirl

A- nice, this brew gleams golden rays of color with spotted lacing consuming the sides of the glass. The brew looks very intimidating and inviting at the same time. The hazy look even adds to the brew's characteristics. I am digging ye captain's bounty

S- assault of the previously reviewed tropical fruit with overwhelming.... yet, to die for citrus. There is a candy like scent that is perfectly assigned to following the tripel scents. Some herbs and spices top this off. Very strong and revealing

T- I love this yeast strand! Same citrus and pepper flavors dominate the buttery taste profile. Some uplifting lemony taste blend towards the end. This is the most tasty tripel in the existence of man. Great attributes of the ipa presentation no doubt contribute to this

M- creamy and carbonated. Perfect description for this style

D- I can't believe that I am going crazy about another brew from Captain Lawrence! Xtra Gold is so delicious and drinkable as well. They need to get to Syracuse ASAP!!!

lovindahops, May 17, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +14%

This is such good stuff.
Nice clear gold....beautiful white head .
Smells of pome fruits, hay, alcohol and lots of spice.
I taste everything I love about Belgians ( OK , it's an American Trippel ..whatever).
It's sweet and fruity, with some hints of bubblegum, grass , must, yeast and wood...vanilla too. Very complex...just when you think it's perfect, it warms and there's even more to it. I can't really tell what spices I'm tasting, and don't know if any were added or if it's just the yeast.The hops are perfect.
The mouthfeel is medium to almost heavy....very carbonated...a bit drier than it was on tap at the brewery.
It reminds me very much of their Liquid Gold , but more intense in every aspect.
This was a limited release...why didn't I buy more ??
Scott V. is brewing some fantastic stuff .

Hautacam, Dec 18, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A wonderful 750ml bottle that I was lucky enough to acquire in a trade recently. I had been wanting to try some of these more delicate beers from Captain Lawrence and I got my wish here. Served chilled and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 01/01/2009.

The pour was very nice. Rich amber in color with a light cloudiness to it. A good sized head of white came up over the top and settled down nicely into a small layer of foam across the top. Some light carbonation could be seen streaming up from the bottom of the glass.

The aroma was very nice and very complex. Light grain in the base and then a blast of sour notes coming through. Very, very nice. Light apples, pears, peaches, hints of anise and lovely earthy notes coming throughout. THe flavor was clean, crisp, sharp. Alcohol was totally hidden here beneath of blanket of nice fruit and light spices. Smooth finish here left a subtle tartness in the mouth and a really nice light grain flavor and a hint of green apples. Smooth mellow carbonation and a really fine finish,

Overall for a triple, this was fantastically drinkable. No hints of alcohol at all and really just amazingly complex. I would love to try this one on tap as I heard it is mind blowing. This is one that needs to be sought out!

mikesgroove, Jan 02, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a hazy golden tan with a silky white head. Excellent lacing and retention.

Nose has floral hops over fruity malts, citurs, spicy yeast and sweet candies.

Taste also has a good amount of bitter hops up front and through the finish. Well balanced by a tropical fruits, caramel malts and peppery Belgian yeast.

Medium body a bit over carbonated, but still nice. Great Belgian IPA from CL.

rye726, Oct 08, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

Hunted down a 750mL bottle and poured into pint glasses. Was pretty excited to find since I've had Capt Lawrence at bars but hard to get bottles.

A/S- The lacing stands out, with golden and hazy appearance. Sweet, citrus smell.

T/M- Slight alcohol with lemon and bready taste. Great Tripel, love this beer.

Highly impressed, another quality brew by Capt Lawrence.

bierdabbler, Oct 03, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

Light gold, clear. Large white head builds up quickly and then disappears turning into thin but even cover. Aroma is heavenly. Refreshing citrus notes play together with candy sweetness. Like a perfectly tart orange candy. Taste is wonderful too. Sweetness hits the tongue first followed by dry hoppy bitterness. Alcohol can be felt not in the taste, but in how warming the beer is. This ale is light to medium body and interestingly, I find that lightness will be noticed more in the summer while alcohol will keep you warm in the winter. Mouthfeel is plesant, but this is not a beer to gulp down. I enjoy savoring it slowly.

I gotta say that I wanted to take a sip as soon as I opened the bottle and smelled the wonderful aroma. I am a big fan of Captain Lawrence and Scott Vaccaro. It was a big plus for our area when Scott moved back to NY state. Such a wonderful ale!

ikats, Oct 06, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a bomber into my bruery tulip.

A- very beautiful beer. Light goldenrod orangish yellow with a bright white 2 1/2 finger head. Lace galore is assaulting my glass. Appearance sort of reminds me of lemonade.

S- Belgian then Belgian American immigrant. Yeasty presents itself and is gracefully followed by ripe fresh fruit salad. Pineapples mixing with orange juice. Superb.

T- slight hop bite with some Belgian influence. Really sweet fruits burst out and orange juice with a suggestion of alcohol is a wonderful flavor.

M-really fresh feel. Not heavy or burdersome just refreshing. A tight even carbonation is great. I see nothing wrong with this feel.

Overall a well made beer. Great style fusion. I wish I had access to this,if I did it would be in my fridge alot. Complex enough to make you want to sip But refreshing and tasty enough to want to down a whole glass. Great beer

Kelly88, Mar 22, 2011
Xtra Gold Tripel from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.