Xtra Gold Tripel - Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Xtra Gold TripelXtra Gold Tripel

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Tripel |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: John on 08-14-2006

Ratings: 369 | Reviews: 211
4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

Received from gpcollen1 in a recent trade. Thanks George!

Pours a hazy gold with a three-finger white head that took a long time to recede to about 1/4". Great retention and decent lacing.

Smell is very complex: sweet honey, pineapple, some floral hops, some spice I can't quite pinpoint, some freshly baked bread, lemon zest, and a hint of alcohol.

Taste starts off with some dry, bitter floral hops, before a caramel and honey sweetness. Pineapple and lemon flavors lead into some spicy yeast balanced by sweet malts before a bitter, citrusy dry finish. Very complex.

Medium to full-bodied mouthfeel. Good balance between being sweet and dry.

An interesting American take on the style, and a good bottle to split with a friend. Very enjoyable.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

Bottle courtesy of Beerlando: Poured a deep golden and lightly hazy color ale with a huge foamy head with good retention and good lacing. Aroma of Amarillo hops with a medium sweet malt base with some light fruity ester. Taste is also dominated by some light fruity ester with some medium-sweet malt base and a hoppy finish which kind of detract from the fine mal base. Full body with great carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Interesting and different take from the classic Belgian style but in the end the finish is too dry and hoppy to raise this beer to classic level.

4.17/5  rDev +3.5%

On tap at The Blind Tiger in NYC.

Pours a lightly hazed golden with a white head that fades to a ring. The aroma is interesting: honey, strong floral aromas, and some spice.

There's an initial honey-like sweetness that's met by a mild spiciness in the center. The finish is floral, citric and lightly bitter. Medium-bodied and highly carbonated, but smooth despite the carbonation.

I thought this one was very tasty and refreshing, despite the high alcohol.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Out of a 750ml capped bottle. Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a huge white head that dissipated into a chunky cap. The aroma is of sweet tropical fruit, light lemon, tart apple, and booze. The taste starts off with a quick shot of bitter hops which is quickly neutralized by a sugary lemon sweetnes and tart apple. The brew also has a tin like metal flavor. The feel is moderate and quite fizzy, there is a good balance between bitter and sweet; finishes with a slight belly burn. This beer definitely gets better as you drink it. At first the mix of flavors seemed to be a mess but as I got through the glass, the flavors came together. A very good tripel, not cloying or overly sugary.

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

Bottle courtesy of guinnessdoc, thanks again!

Beer pours a slighty cloudy and and bright gold color with a nice big head.

Aromas are nice, very spicy, bright, floral, fruity, apple like, and slightly sweet. Very complex smelling beer.

Taste is very dry, fruity, crisp and bold tasting. Beer has a definite yeast taste, that is very spicy, and the malts provide nice slight creamy flavors. There is a definite hop bitterness on the finish, mineral like, and quite biting.

Mouthfeel is well done, very crisp, full, and well carbonated.

Drinkability is good. A very nice American take on the Belgian Tripel, I am glad I got to drink this one. Quite tasty, and well worth trying.

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Newest Release? Sampled May 2008
Quite well carbonated, the beer starts to foam a bit as soon as I pop the cap, I have enough time to careful pour some off into my 25cl tulip glass without losing any beer though. The careful pour yields four fingers of head that continues to rise another finger above the rim of my glass. The head is a light tan color that leaves ample lace on the sides of my glass and capsizes with interesting, structural textures. the beer is a clear copper color, but shows an almost brilliantly clear, gold color when held up to the light. The aroma is a mix of funk and fruity notes. Surprisingly the funk leans toward Brettanomyces like aromatics (sweat-laden leather notes), but the fruitiness is all Amarillo hops (apricot, pineapple, bergamot and even some kiwi notes). A nice, pale malt character adds a subtle influence to the nose with notes of fresh crushed pale malt, saltine crackers and a fresh grain note. The funkiness seems to die down with time, making me almost wonder if I ever noticed it in the first place.

Sweet tasting up front, which accentuates fruity, Amarillo driven flavors of apricot, lychee and pineapple. The carbonation has died down some, but still provides a prickly texture that can't quite overwhelm the soft creamy body that this brew has. A solid, yeast-derived funkiness resides here; it is not quite as noticeable as in most Tripels because of the ample hop character, but still plays a very important role. Funky notes of phenolic soaked, musty cotton balls are lightly noticed as are some light clove notes, an earthy-musty flavor, a touch of sweat-cured leather, . There is a touch of warming alcohol in the finish that at times adds a spiciness to the beer reminiscent of a mix of white pepper, ginger (that is also accented by the hops), clove and something I can only describe as fruity / estery / spicy higher alcohols.

My second pour is still excessively carbonated, this time I end up with a finger and a half thick crown of foam that floats above the rim of my glass. I am quite happy that a tulip glass allows me to get to the sweet nectar below, despite the almost six fingers of foam. With my nose newly tipped with a bit of foam, my first sip of this lightly orange-tinged and hazier beer lends a bit of rounded yeastiness to the flavor profile. This beer just keeps on getting better and better; I truly am a sucker for Amarillo & when combined with Belgian-inspired beers, well I am just about in heaven.

Despite being so hop driven, I really like how funky this beer is. I wouldn't guess that this was infected by Brettanomyces necessarily, but with the funk & excessive carbonation it certainly does a good job of faking a subtle Brett influence. I really like the over-the-top Amarillo character as compared to the first batch I had that was quite muted in its hoppiness comparatively. The hops do tend to drown out some of the complexity, but this is far more well integrated than my last experience & for that I am quite pleased. This is definitely exactly what I was hoping for when I heard that the brewer was increasing the dry hops in this beer. I liked this the first time around, but now I am really digging it.

Second Batch (definitely not first), Sampled September 2007
4/4.5/4/4/3.5, total 4.05
Edited to fit
This batch was not as well integrated, and due to the fact that less Amarillo was used, was not nearly as aromatic and hoppy. It was still funky and good, though I much prefer the new batch

4.92/5  rDev +22.1%

Had it on tap at The Ginger Man in NYC.

Pours a sparkling and completely clear yellow/gold with little head retention and light lacing. Makes for a very attractive pint.

The nose floored me. Complex and powerful scent of lemon, hops, tropical flowers, and burnt sugar. Filled the entire space around the glass. I would wear this as cologne if they packaged it in a spray bottle.

Taste was exceptionally balanced. I was pleasantly surprised by the strength of the hop character, which was perfectly balanced by thick pale malts. Up front notes of lemon as well, delivering on the promise made in the nose.

A very full mouthfeel for a beer with a fairly light color and notable clarity. The body is relatively thick without being syrupy, the perfect vehicle to deliver this exceptionally delicious brew.

By the time I finished my pint, I was completely blown away. This immediately became one of my favorite beers. That said, I had it again a few days later at barcade and it was overly lemony in both nose and taste and the body wasn't as impressive. Not sure if this was from batch variation or handling or tap lines or what, but that one I had at the Ginger Man came pretty close to the perfect pint.

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

My Bluetooth key board crashed so friends came by to help bring it back from the dead. To reward them I shared a bottle capped 750 ml green bottle into tulips.

A: It poured a nice clean golden colored body with a bone white head that refused to be anything but massive regardless how gently I poured it into glasses. The head on one glass was over four fingers (with less than three fingers of beer). The head was a sticky frothy mass that receded slowly and supported a nice rich lacing.

A: This had aromas that were a cross between a Belgium Tripel and a BPA. There were plenty of fruity esters (bananas, pears and apricots) as well as rich and spicy smells resulting form the hops (grassy and sharp) and white bready yeast.

T: It tastes best after resting (bleeding off some of the zest from the aggressive carbonation). The profile was a brew that was malty sweet and zesty with sharp and rich spices. It is a uniquely rich brew that has a flavor somewhere between a Delirium Tremens and a Westmalle Tripel.

M: It is light to medium bodied with a zesty lively feel on the tongue and a clean and warm finish.

D: Nice and rich, light body and a big punch. This is a refreshing unique brew that is entertaining and worth a long session.

3.56/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Clear gold with a big and fluffy three finger head that quickly settles into a quarter-inch cap. The head leaves behind sheets of sticky lace as it recedes. Nearly perfect.

Smell: Mild herbal hops, lemon and green apple, a hint of alcohol.

Taste & mouthfeel: Flavors of bitter citrus rind, green apple and earthy hops. Dry in the finish, a bit soapy, with moderate bitterness sticking to the palate. Definitely hoppier than the average tripel, but the earthy/herbal hop flavor doesn't really work with the style. Interesting but not very impressive.

Notes: Not sure what the big deal about this one is. Decent stuff, but nothing special.

3.67/5  rDev -8.9%

Order on tap at Spuyten Duyvil. I had had xtra gold out of the bottle before and had remembered liking it very much which prompted me to give it a go on tap. I must say though I was slightly let down.

Poured into the glass a hazy straw gold with a thin white head that went away rather quickly. Super hoppy nose, with a bit of funkiness and some tropical fruits. I remembered the tropical fruits being MUCH more pronounced on the bottled version I had. Somewhat acidic on the palette with a bit of spiciness. The taste is dominated by the hops, which are a bit overpowering even to someone who loves hops. A little more sweetness would be appreciated (i think I remembered the bottle being sweeter as well)
Creamish body that leans toward medium, fair to heavy amount of carbonation. Decent mouthfeel.

Over all a decent beer, that I recall being much better in the bottle, I'll have to go back and test a bottle again when i get a chance. For only 5$ a glass at Spuyten Duyvil it's definitely worth a try

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks go out to scootny for this one. Pours a foggy gold with a thin white head. Nose is spiced with some citrus and a pleasant tone of alcohol. Lemon is definitely there. Flavor is spiced and funky. Slight alcohol. It's pretty tangy. Nice feel to it. Good liquid body and a biting and distinct carbonation. This is a nice tripel. It's a bit hot, but still well made.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Bottle sampled courtesy of my cousin a few weeks ago when I returned to the U.S. for a visit.

Beer poured a light golden body with a medium white head, nice lacing and ring on the edge. There was a pleasing citrus note that mirrored the taste as well. The nose and taste also had definite tones of hops, bitterness as well. Balancing this all out was a present but not overpowering malty sweetness. I also detected some peach notes in the taste as well. Overall a solid beer.

Thanks scootny for this one, large capped bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

Its golden body is amazingly clear, and it produces a copious whitish head that shows average retention and lacing.
Aroma is mostly spicy, but also fruity (citric), sweetish, earthy with hay/straw notes, and yeasty.
Medium body, quite refreshing despite the high alcohol, and well carbonated, crisp, opening to the same notes suggested by the aroma, along with a slightly salty and orangey/lemony note.
It matched perfectly with a roasted salmon on lemons.

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

750ml bottle procured from the NYC Whole Foods on Bowery, poured into a Stone OG tulip, my first ever CL beer!

Appearance is a cloudy golden straw hue, nice big creamy head that gradually erodes to rockiness, light lacing

Smell is a range of citrus and sweet syrupy fruits, Belgian yeast and light pine hops, spices, sugary candy

Taste is met initially by flavorful hops, mostly grassy and floral with light citrus and pine, combined with light sweet fruits (pears and peaches), some candied sweetness and syrup in the middle are muddled by the prickly carbonation which is a bit much throughout, finishes dry and bitter with a touch of sweetness

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, slick and prickly texture, high carbonation is somewhat detracting to the overall presence

Drinkability is moderate, this is a peculiar beer that seems to be a bit off-style with the high hop presence that is compounded by over-carbonation, overall a decent beer but a bit disappointing from what I've heard about CL, either way I definitely look forward to trying more styles from this brewery in the future

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Served in a tasting glass during a gathering at the Sharp Edge Creekhouse.

Appearance: Cloudy-golden color, foamy white head.

Smell: I detect honey and apples. Spicy yeast.

Taste: Sweet - raisins, caramel. Nice mild hop finish.

Mouthfeel: A bit thin for a tripel, but nice overall feel in the mouth.

Drinkability: Complex flavor but nice finish. This beer hides its strength well.

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%

1 pint, 9.4 fl oz green bottle copped for a whopping $13.99 from Gary's in Madison... had seen other bottles from Captain Lawrence before, and their hefty price tags always caught my eye and had me wondering how an American-made Tripel could be so expensive...
If looks are any indication of the high price, than I can certainly understand... One of the best appearances I have seen in the style, with a golden colored hue that included obvious carbonation and a gigantic foamy and frothy head with immense staying power... the head was absolutely huge and actually kept rising instead of shrinking and then just proceeded to sit on top of the golden-colored brew... The smell was very spritzy with citrus and lemon-like nuances... this has to be one of the most authentic Belgian-like brews I have come across or tried that have actually been American-made... the taste is very similar to many Fantome beers that I have sampled with an apparent champagne-like characteristic, and pepper-essence and less of the sweet, candied flavors that are in other depictions of the style.. Mouthfeel was very thick, rich, and creamy with a candied-flavor certainly noticeable... drinkability was good, and the alcohol is hard to detect behind an amazing conglomeration of rich flavors... it only took a hit due to the hefty 10% ABV... otherwise, an outstanding brew... Definitely recommended...

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

I got this bottle in a trade with Nutbrown. Thanks Alan!

It pours from 750ml bottle a clear medium gold with a good 2 finger head of foam and some nice sticky lacing. Subsequent pours bring a slight haze to the appearance.

The smell I noticed as I popped the cap. A nice mix of fruit(apple & pear) and a healthy dose of hops.

The taste matches the nose. Almost equal portions of fruit and hops that gives the overall flavour of tartness and grass. I read the label and they say that they don't consider it to be a true Belgian Tripel because of the hop presence(it says American Tripel) and I'd tend to agree though, after a few more sips, I'm getting notes of candy sugar and some peppery flavour. Call it what you like, this is a darn good Ale and a darn god sipper.Btw, no sian at all for me when it comes to the abv...good job!

The mouthfeel is on the thick side and the carbonation is light but adequate, and it finishes witha lemony twang. Very enjoyable!
This one is worth a repeat, in my book.

4.17/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

App: Sediment is very light and took a while to settle down. But once nicely relaxed the beer pours a clear golden. The color is consistent throughout. A very active beer and throws out a nice big airy head that mellows into a steady covering for the full drink. Nice carbonation.

Aroma: I really like this nose but understand it's certainly not your traditional Belgian Tripel. But since Scott comes right out and presents it as such then I'm happy with the results. A really nice balance of honey sweetness, fruit hopiness, and subtle spiciness. Underlaying notes of hay, fresh apple cider and honeysuckle.

Taste: The taste is clean, fresh, warm and refreshing. Like the nose the light candy sweetness is balanced by fruity hop and subtle pine hop characteristics. Pear, apple comes through up front, then a clean honey middle followed by a mild hop dryness and slight bite at the end. Aftertaste is clean and refined.

Mouth: Light to medium bodied, with a full carbonation, almost a little too big. Carb is sharp and crisp. The water also seems a little sharp maybe something with filtration. But it doesn't have the softness that we love in a true Belgian tripel.

Drink: Yeah, could...in fact did finish this 750 myself. Nice. Would certainly like more and I'm sure I would have the same tastes and experience from first sip to last.

3.76/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml bottle acquired in a trade with radiorandy, thanks for giving me the opportunity to try this beer

Batch #1, split with my friend last night while watching somne television

Poured into my Chimay goblet with a murky golden yellow color with an orange tint, 3/4 white creamy head that stuck around for ten minutes plus which was very impressive, very good retention and also large amounts of sticky lacing

Smell had a lot of citrus and berry fruit scents, pepper, various other spices, Belgian yeast, a couple different types of hoppiness, some orange peel, and various sweet malty aromas

Taste was surprisngly very hoppy, this beer can almost be identified as an extremely sweet double IPA, amarillo up front with some citrus that consists of oranges and tangerines, some sweet sugar accents, finish is even a little dry because of the hops, as it warmed it got more candy-like and tasted better in my opinion, tripels are supposed to be on the sweeter side, hops did more than just balance out the malt but made sure you knew they were there during the first half of my glass, overall it was unique and a pleasure to drink

Body was pretty thick but lacked a desirable level of carbonation, taste did last a long time though, creamy but dry mouthfeel because of the dry hopped amarillo

Could have easily drank this bottle by myself but not sure how much after that, heavy on the stomach because of the sweetness, ABV is very high too and would have came up and bit me in the ass

Not near as good as their Cuvee de Castleton but most of their beers probably are not, this is one hoppy tripel, a nice American mix of a Belgian beer indeed, recommended if you can make a trip to the brewery or get in a trade, not too bad overall

3.62/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lemony gold with a Belgianesque amount of carbonation rushing up to what isn't exactly a Belgianesque crown. The soft, airy foam is lightly yellowed ivory in color and has a smooth, nearly featureless surface. This isn't the sort of cap that leaves much lace... which is being proven over time. Beer good. Head not so good.

Xtra Gold doesn't smell like a classic tripel due to a hop bill that includes Simcoe, Sterling, Cascade, Crystal and Amarillo. The beer is also dry-hopped with Amarillo. Each inhale delivers a mix of tropical fruit and a funky cheesiness that smells like Cascade left to ferment in the hot sun. It's odd and it's also oddly appealing.

Although this is a respectable attempt at the style, it isn't even close to the world-beater that was expected. In fact, the best American tripels have nothing to worry about. Two problems are harsh overcarbonation and too much bitterness without a corresponding amount of good hop flavor.

The grain bill is 100% Belgian pilsner malt, so there's no major flavor contribution there. More malt would've been great since it would've added some sweetness, counteracted the alpha acids and filled things out a bit. Given the ground clove and white pepper spiciness, it's likely that a true Belgian yeast strain was used.

Most of the flavor comes from the hops. There's as much grassiness as there is fruitiness (lemon, lime and pear). That's hard to figure given the hops involved. Unfortunately, the beer has a tonic water bitterness that needs to be reined in. Only the hopheaded need apply. Even then...

The mouthfeel will be scored on what it became rather than on how it started out. Once most of the bubbles enter the atmosphere, the beer feels pretty decent. It's closer to light than medium, with a moderate slickness that extends the finish a bit.

Overcarbonation might have occured at the time of bottling or it might be due to faulty bottle conditioning. In any case, Captain Lawrence Brewing's Xtra Gold Tripel Ale is a disappointment relative to expectations. Maybe this year's batch will be better.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Another great Captain Lawrence, this yummy hybrid of a bitter IPA and yeastiness looked good, smelled good, and tasted great. So what the person I shared this with and supper thought it overly hoppy and likes sweeter Belgiums. More for me. Very drinkable.Creaminess from the yeast, which starts sweet and then gives a good controlled bitterness from the tasty Amarillo.

4.59/5  rDev +13.9%

Light gold, clear. Large white head builds up quickly and then disappears turning into thin but even cover. Aroma is heavenly. Refreshing citrus notes play together with candy sweetness. Like a perfectly tart orange candy. Taste is wonderful too. Sweetness hits the tongue first followed by dry hoppy bitterness. Alcohol can be felt not in the taste, but in how warming the beer is. This ale is light to medium body and interestingly, I find that lightness will be noticed more in the summer while alcohol will keep you warm in the winter. Mouthfeel is plesant, but this is not a beer to gulp down. I enjoy savoring it slowly.

I gotta say that I wanted to take a sip as soon as I opened the bottle and smelled the wonderful aroma. I am a big fan of Captain Lawrence and Scott Vaccaro. It was a big plus for our area when Scott moved back to NY state. Such a wonderful ale!

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours clear, light gold, with a lively, massive head.
At least three inches of dense white froth settle down slowly, revealing some beautifull lacework. A singular strand of minute orbs relentlessly ascend from the bottom of the tulip glass.
Aromatics are filled with fruit, vanilla, and warming alcohol. A kiss of malt and honey finish through, along with a minerally nod.
The classic Belgian triple nose paired perfectly with fresh peaches and tangerines. Wowza.
The mouthfeel is crisp and creamy, with vibrant carbonation.
Tropical fruits and phenols dominate the pallet, with warming alcohol following closely behind.
Exeptionally dry and fruity. Bitterness is firm and smooth, but not overbearing. Most of the hopping is in the flavoring and aromatics.
Alcohol is warming, and the beer is a bit big for style...Perfect!
Finishes with lingering orange, peach, and marmalade melange,
some minimal lingering heat, with a faint vanilla note.

Probably the best domestic triple I've ever had.

Big thanks to EriktheRed for hooking me up!

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass. Not sure how old this bottle was.... Definitely a different label than what is pictured here.

Great head on this beer. Not to strong and dissipated quickly.

Wonderful citrus nose and flavor. Sweet taste upfront with a pleasantly bitter taste on the back end. Lots of grapefruit taste. Very interesting beer. Alcohol taste was a bit too present. A very unique beer, definitely worth trying. I will be on the look out for other dank beers from this fine captain.

750ml bottle from gpcollen1 via trade. Thanks for the opportunity. Bottled 2007.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a 3" off-white head above 1" of clear burnished golden brew. Head is big bubbled and fades gradually, with heavy thick lacing, and lots of it. Aroma is sweet, spicy, and lightly citric. Taste is malt sweetness upfront, dpicing in the middle, and a warming alcohol close that radiates down the throat as it goes. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth, and drinkability is on par with the style. Not liking this one quite as much as the first time around, but still a good tip.

Xtra Gold Tripel from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.