Xtra Gold Tripel - Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Xtra Gold TripelXtra Gold Tripel

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Tripel |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: John on 08-14-2006

firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last
4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

Had it on tap at The Ginger Man in NYC.

Pours a sparkling and completely clear yellow/gold with little head retention and light lacing. Makes for a very attractive pint.

The nose floored me. Complex and powerful scent of lemon, hops, tropical flowers, and burnt sugar. Filled the entire space around the glass. I would wear this as cologne if they packaged it in a spray bottle.

Taste was exceptionally balanced. I was pleasantly surprised by the strength of the hop character, which was perfectly balanced by thick pale malts. Up front notes of lemon as well, delivering on the promise made in the nose.

A very full mouthfeel for a beer with a fairly light color and notable clarity. The body is relatively thick without being syrupy, the perfect vehicle to deliver this exceptionally delicious brew.

By the time I finished my pint, I was completely blown away. This immediately became one of my favorite beers. That said, I had it again a few days later at barcade and it was overly lemony in both nose and taste and the body wasn't as impressive. Not sure if this was from batch variation or handling or tap lines or what, but that one I had at the Ginger Man came pretty close to the perfect pint. (1,207 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Pours a clear golden color with huge soapy white head. Excellent retention, lots of carbonation visible in the glass.

S - Unusual aroma, kind of a funky hoppy smell, with some sweetness behind it. Not bad, just different. A hint of alcohol sneaks in as well.

T - Citrus, spices, sweet malts, sour fruits. Very intriguing; not quite belgian, not quite an IPA.

M - A bit thin, well carbonated. Not much hint of the high abv.

D - Certainly a unique brew, with a distinct flavor profile that doesn't quite fit into any one category. I enjoyed it, though I usually don't enjoy the style. (591 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I opened the bottle of Xtra Gold on my coffee table, turned around to grab a glass and within a minute the carbonation had overflowed the bottle and onto the table. The bubbles continued to foam out and over the bottle and make a horrible mess of my coffee table.

The rest of the experience with the Xtra Gold was great! Very flavorful, complex, and delicious! The best Captain Lawrence brew I've had yet! (406 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%

#34

Aged bottle from 2008-2009 from SteveFinny with green hand-waxing.

A: Boom goes the dynamite! Gusher. Lost a few ounces on this one. I pour it out to a 3 finger, pure white head. Color is murky orange and the head fades fairly quickly. 3.5.

S: Very citrus-y. The base tripel is there, but beneath a light tart, funk, yeasty combination. It works. 4.0.

T: Very smooth yeast and bread combo, slightly lemon zest and a hint of hops. I'm sure the age on this bottle has attributed to that. 4.0.

M: Still a ton of carbonation in this one leading to a medium to full mouthfeel. 4.0.

O: Very enjoyable take on the tripel. In some ways, there was a resemblance to Sofie from Goose island which is probably why I enjoyed this so much. 4.0. (740 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

Draught beer poured into a tulip.

Luminous deep gold with a two inch foamy white head. Peppery spice on the nose with traces of citrus and sour yeast.

Smooth, malty and balanced. The peppery spice is again present on the palate but is matched by a sweet and tart lemonade-like quality. There is a little warmth going down but the alcohol is very well masked. Carbonation is soft. There is a bubble gum quality that comes in at the end but overall the beer finishes dry. Delicious and well rounded. (500 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

This pours a brilliant golden color and a bit of swirling and good pour releases amazing smells of what i believe to be a huge amarillo dry hop. The first sip of this beer is amazing as it is like a very hoppy belgian trippel and pretty much kicks you in the mouth between the hops and the booze. This is another wonderful beer from captain lawrence. (350 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Well, Xtra gold! Beautiful, a bit hazy, nice big bubbles and a huge head.

S: Beautiful yeast, tropical fruit, bubblegum, a hint of hops, a hint of booze.

T: Balanced malt, a bit of hop bitterness, and a lot of belgian yeast flavors. Intense and beautiful.

M: Good amount of body without being syrupy. Nice amount of carbonation as well.

D: A heavy and heady brew, but I drank most of a growler by myself anyway. Not sure if this says more about me or the beer. (467 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -14.7%

A- Golden hazy color, a ton of lacing and a huge amount of foam when poured.

S- A lot of pepper, with a citrus smell probably lemon

T- Lemon taste upfront, similar to a Belgian. Not too much malt taste, mostly a grassy hop.

M- Smooth, medium to heavy body. Low carbonation that sticks around.

D- Smooth again and light for a such a strong beer. I'm not crazy about Belgians and this one is very similar, so I could have a glass but that's probably it. (458 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I bought a 750 ml. bottle of this last night from the Whole Foods in White Plains Ney York. I poured it into my tulip glass.

A- Nice cloudy gold with a slight orange glow. It poured with a nice 2" rich white head that receded at a good pace to a white skim coat on top. It had nice lace rings all the way to the bottom.

S- It smells quite nice! The first whiff reminds you of a good Belgium triple with that fimiliar funky yeast and bananas. It then takes on a nice floral note with hints of hops and sugar and traces of alcohol.

T- This tasted quite different than I expected. The smell led me to belive this would be typical sweet triple style. I found it to be pleasently dry and crisp. It is similar to the Belgium IPA style as the hops play a staring role. It has hints of bananas, yeast and sugar but the overall taste is a nice light floral hop note that dominates with out over powering. Pretty dry finish with a slighty lingering bitterness. It also has a really nice warming alcohol that is pretty well hidden.

M- It's a fairly light body for this style of beer, and had good champaign like carbonation that sent small bubbles to the top till the last sip.

D- I was pleasently surprised by this beer! The boottle describes it as an American Triple. It is a fitting description as it takes the best of the belgium style triple and puts a good old American spin on it. I thought it was very balanced between the fruity sweetness and floral hops. It definatly stand out in its catagory for me and a joy to drink. I will be picking up a few more next time I'm at Whole Foods. Cheers! (1,595 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

I want to start by saying I normally don't like tripels because of the clove and banana notes.

But this is another story because of the american hops. For some reason going into this I thought it was going to be like their year round Liquid Gold which has all those qualities I don't like, but boy was I wrong

Served in Tulip Glass

app- golden yellow with a very thick carbonated head, about 2.5 inches that takes a good few minutes to dissipate.

smell- this is where I smell the tripel. Floral, clove, a little grassy, and a vague hint of lemon at the finish.

taste- not too too carbonated which I love. Up front you get the malty sweetness and the slight clove is evident throughout, but the slightness is the key. The hops are up front more than I thought with a slight pine throughout and it is what makes this beer a 4 out of 5 for me.

Overall- I dont know if they are the first to do this, but its my first american tripel and the Captain does it again. I seriously love everything I've had from them except liquid gold. First tripel I could say I really liked, almost loved (1,087 characters)

4.07/5  rDev 0%

Purportedly among the best American breweres I had very high expectiations. Someone recently related this beer to RR Damnation batch 23 so I had higher expectations.

Together, this meant that I was rather disappointed with the actual beer. A bit under carbonated for a tripple and entirely too bitter (I know it is pumped as American hops etc... but it just didn't do it for me). Batch 23 is far superior....

I enjoyed it a great deal nonetheless. I just set myself up for something bigger....

smoke from the oak to follow. (526 characters)

firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last
Xtra Gold Tripel from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.