Smoke From The Oak (Wine Barrel Aged) - Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Smoke From The Oak (Wine Barrel Aged)Smoke From The Oak (Wine Barrel Aged)

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Porter |  6.40% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Billolick on 03-18-2007

Enhanced with Brettanomyces
3.7/5  rDev -8.4%

Bottle from The Ginger Man. Black body, soapy head.chocolate aroma, with wine. Malted tastes, but sourness is clearly there and cumulative. The bulk of the mouthfeel is above average. Late in the bottle, more wine, more sour aroma, and more lace.Oak in minority, perhaps this doesn't age all that well. Nice one. (312 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -22.8%

750 ml bottle that blew up all over the place including my shirt at Dr Bills last tasting.

Appearance was murky and dark. Nice brown head with decent retention.

Smell was wonderful. Wine and porter mixed together perfectly. Oak was very present. Smelled roasty and dry underneath all the wine barrel smells. Very inviting.

Don't know if this was a mistreated bottle but the taste was a real letdown after the smell. All the components of the smell were present in the same proportions but it was all incredibly watered down. I don't get it, what happened here?

Body was medium/light. About right for a porter. Definitely drinkable and a good light beer. Just not at all what I was expecting. This stuff would make a nice air freshener, just leave some glasses of it out on the counter. (791 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a dark chestnut brown with a light tan head. Nose brings forward a hit of acidity atop some dark roast, berries, oak, and a touch of vanilla. Taste brings up the afidity a tiny notch. It is not dominant, but makes its presence known. Oak and roasted malt are also there with a bit of chocolate. Feel is a bit lighter than I would expect. Drinks quite well. Fairly unique. (377 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Batch 2

Appearance: A gusher, as expected, that pours a chocolate fudge color with a massive head; some shards of lace stick to the chalice

Smell: Vinous, tart aroma of green apples and red wine grapes

Taste: Tart and fruity, up front, with a green apple and grape flavor, with a vinegary element that grows through mid-palate and into the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with buoyant carbonation

Overall: No porter and no smoke...but I kind of expected that as the infection has taken its toll over the years (512 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I won this in a LIF from softcough. Thanks!

Appearance: I was warned that this was going to be a gusher, and surely enough it was. I found it pretty manageable, however, and didn't lose any beer. The beer itself pours a dark but clear brown with two fingers of tan foam. Head retention is excellent, as expected from a beer with so much carbonation.

Smell: Mild bretty funk and sourness, musty oak, roasted grain, bittersweet chocolate and a hint of dry red wine. There's a lot going on, but it doesn't smell muddled. So far so good.

Taste & mouthfeel: Subtle berry-like sweetness up front, presumably from the wine, followed by oaky tannins and a hint of cacao. Medium-bodied and really damn smooth, though slightly overcarbonated for the style. The finish reveals notes of tobacco and smoke; the only place I could really pick out any distinct smoke flavors, though it's still reserved. Impressive complexity here, but it's all pretty harmonious - this is surprisingly drinkable.

Notes: Incredibly unique stuff in this day and age, I can imagine this being quite similar to the beers people were drinking centuries ago. (1,125 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks Ben for sharing this one, review from written notes.
Bottle stored in temperature-controlled, zero light conditions. Served in a goblet.

Lasting tan foam, creamy texture, dark coloration.

Woody aroma, some dark chocolate comes through from the base porter possibly. Wet barrel staves, bretty yeast lends some notes of wet hay and light horseblanket.

Vinous fruit, dry grape skin and plum, oaky and tannic in a big way. Medium level of tartness, dry finish with a creamy smooth feel. Carbonation is low to medium, body is fairly light and dry. Comes across like a well aged and blended Oud Bruin, nice fruitiness and wet barrel character with restrained touches of funkiness.

To the sounds of: Regulate ~ Warren G, from Ben's collection. (751 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +22.5%

What can I say about this? I really did not even think I was going to get a bottle of this, but my sis went up to Jersey for the weekend and brought me back a few. Needless to say when she showed up at the door with them I was a tad excited. I had heard in advance of the problems with the over carbonation so I let one sit in the fridge for a couple days before opening and was lucky enough to avoid any problems with it. So the lovely 750ml bottle got poured into my over sized wine glass for a nice after dinner snack.

Appearance - The pour was extraordinary. Really just breathtaking with how good this one looked. A rich dark brown, nearly black emerged from the bottled and rattled around the inside of the glass producing a nice three inch high head f tan colored foam. A full blossoming head that stayed all the way through the session, never getting rocky or having any cratering done to it, rather it just slowly settled down and left behind tons of side glass lace that seemed to get thicker the further into the session we proceeded.

Smell - The aroma was nothing short of fantastic. The first notes to hit you were the nice sour funk that was present from the barrels. Really just a very nice sour and tart aroma that overpowered everything else and really took me by surprise coming from a big porter. There were some nice underlying hints of chocolate and coffee as well; making this one of the most interesting style crosses I think I have come across. I mean a rich imperial porter, smoked, aged in sour wine barrels. It was just as good as it sounded, wonderfully complex and unique, I could have had this made into a candle it was so good!

Taste - Well I do not even know what to say about this. It was just remarkable and very interesting from the first sip. The smoky flavor starting to come through in here now, after being nearly absent in the aroma. Nice chocolate malts and hints of roasted coffee throughout as well. This was a nice sweet porter, and I even could pick up hints of vanilla way in the back. However, once it hit about the middle of the sip, wow that sour note just really kicked in. These must have been one hell of a set of barrels this was aged in as they were all over the flavor as well. The finish even was dominated by a long drawn out sour flavor that really just was just the icing on the cake. Very nice indeed and definitely in a class of its own.

Mouthfeel - This was a nice robust porter with a medium Mouthfeel and as you could imagine, absolutely awesome carbonation. A nice velvet like smooth feel going down, the bubbles tingled your tongue and kept it active throughout. There was a nice dry feeling in the finish. I have to admit, I was again really surprised with how well this went down.

Drinkability - This was outstandingly drinkable, I literally could have had this one all day long! It was just the ideal drinker, with a medium body, the alcohol all but gone and that nice sour bite that was perfectly laid in without being overbearing, I could not have asked for this to have come off any better.

Overall I think I am in love with this beer. I would be hard-pressed to trade any of the ones I have left as this was really just too good to imagine. I have longer for a big sweet porter with a sour bite like that. Really just great. If you can get up there to get this one, you really need to, it was just that good! (3,387 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -6.7%

A - Poured out an opaque, jet black color with a small, light brown head of soft, foam. It left minimal lacing.

S - It smelled of a strong sourness with notes of oak and red wine.

T - Didn't really have many porter qualities. It was sour and had a strong oak and vanilla present. There was some maltiness but no roasted flavors you get in a porter.

M - It was soft and smooth with a very dry finish. A medium bodied ale.

D - This is interesting. The wine barrel aging removes the porter-like qualities and mellows it out. (525 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -4%

Thanks to Matt for sharing this one.

A: The pour is a dark brown color with a fairly sizable khaki colored head.

S: A pretty nice aroma here, better than I was expecting. The smoked aspect of the porter certainly comes through nicely but is not overpowering. The wine barrel gives the beer a mild fruitiness and some subtle oak and tart notes.

T: I don't really pick up too much of the wine or oak flavor. The porter is the main attraction here and the smoke is fairly dominant. But, still a nice flavor to the beer.

M: Medium bodied with an excessive level of carbonation. The carbonation sort of takes away from the beer, to be honest.

D: A nice beer, and I liked the flavors going on here, but the carbonation really detracts from the experience. Hopefully, Captain Lawrence can get this under control. (810 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served in a tulip glass.

Big thanks to wedgie9 for sharing this bottle!

Batch 4. Finally getting the chance to try some of this series. Here goes: It pours a straight obsidian topped by over two fingers of rich tan foam. The nose comprises cinnamon, light roasted malts, dark chocolate, brown sugar, red apple skin, light oak, nutmeg, and light molasses. Not much of the wine barrel in there, but it does smell pretty damn good. The taste deviates a bit, holding notes of red wine, dark vinegar (can't tell which one, as my experience with vinegars is pretty limited...I just know it's brown...), sour black cherry, dark chocolate, very light roasted malts in the back, oak, and some smoke stuffed way in the background. The body is a lazy medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a kinda sticky finish. Overall, a decidedly interesting beer. It's got some smoked porter character, but it's shoved to the rear in favor of some sour, vinous notes. Combined, it's like nothing I've had before (that hasn't been infected, that is). I can't at all say it's bad, but it's not the best barrel-aged smoked porter I've ever had, in terms of strict style. (1,158 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

Batch 4 750 ml bottle into several glasses. Thanks to Stakem for generously busting this one out during a tasting.

Pours black with a finger of rich light mocha colored head. This retains with about a ½ finger of smooth froth that hangs a robust cascade of patchy foamy lacing up on the sides of the glass. Wow, I'm definitely getting that vinous character here in the nose which blends in with some vanilla sweetness and oaky wood character to impart a flavorful tannic tartness to this. Not souring at all but this maintains a steady tart feel throughout. The base Porter sits underneath with some notes of sugary cocoa and smoky roast. Very wine heavy overall though.

The taste is similar to the aroma with of LOT of that wine barrel being present with notes of dark fruit, vanilla, and woody dryness but I will say that this is definitely coming off as more souring than it did in the nose. Almost lactic feeling in spots. Once again, the Porter characteristics are relegated to the background, with some chocolate and roast being barely detectable underneath. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a creamy soft texture to the carbonation but this is mostly overall woody and tannic feeling with a slick dryness that permeates the feel.

Just way to much wine barrel and not enough Porter here and while I could see some liking this, I'm not a wine guy, so my enjoyment of this was overall limited to a degree. This was decent though in the small quantity that I took in and I'm glad that there were a few people to share the bottle with. (1,548 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -16.3%

Batch #4, acquired from jkane101 courtesy of BA March Madness 2010, so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 750ml bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a large beige head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains a strong essence of wine barrel aging, which means mostly tart fruit, along with some roasted malts and hints of coffee and hops.

T: The taste starts out in much the same way the smell does with tart grapes, but unlike with the smell it quickly fades and allows in some smokiness. Then some flavors of coffee and chocolate creep in. The male character is hearty and there’s a very mild but complementary hops presence providing some balance. The after-taste is likewise tart.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, high carbonation (It even says so on the bottle “Highly Carbonated” and it erupted when I popped the cap making a huge mess on my computer table.), finish is slightly sticky.

O: A little tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, good kick, not the best representation of style as the barrel-aging doesn’t seem to do much for the beer overall other than add an out-of-the-ordinary flavor to it, it’s not a bad beer but it doesn’t seem to have benefited from the barrel-aging enough to make it worth the effort that was put into it. (1,375 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

Damnit, damnit, damnit. I read 20 times about the gushing bottles and had been planning on how to best deal with it and then it all slipped my mind as I casually popped the bottle. As it all gushed out, I did the ol' "Doh!" and grabbed another glass to fill. I only lost a wee bit.

Pours pitch black with a tan head that sticks around (surprise). Lots of lacing on the way down as well. Nose is strong with wood tones. Sweet wood tones. Flavor is intense. The wood that's in this is so deep, it's not just proper to say it's wood. This is the living wood that rests well below the bark of the aged trees you might find. Almost a berry tone to it as well. But it's just thick. Almost like the most robust blackberry you could ever find - multiplied by 20. Carbonation is smooth and the liquid is good too. This is very easy to drink, but I am going to say that this could use at least another year to age and mellow. Still pretty nice though. What were the type of barrels used here? Merlot? I can't remember, but that'd be my guess. (1,033 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +1.2%

thanks to whoever shared this at Al's of Hampden- poured chilled from the bottle into an ale glass and allowed to warm slowly.

A - A murky and hazed reddish brown color, the bottle immediatley foamed out of the bottle even though it was chilled.

S - The smell indicated the barrel that was used right off, sour, vinous aroma w/ out much roast or malt at all really

M - The feel is tart, tannic, semi-dry and lightly acidic w/ medium body

T -The taste is good with a malt quality that is completely overided by the red wine barrel used which can be good or bad depending on your perspective. The result taste less like a porter than it should to me, but it still has plenty of flavor so I err on the side of taste

D - The drinkability is very good for sour, wine barrel aged porter. I am glad there are brewers willing to put stuff like this out and I didn't like the first bottle I tried a couple years ago, but this one was very drinkable -a beer you have to try at least once (982 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -5.2%

Got this one from Rciesla, cheers Ryan! This was slightly leaking when I received it today, despite the fact Ryan had wrapped electrical tape around the cap. Maybe it's an altitude deal, seen this before with beers coming from near sea level, plus various plastic bottles of stuff I've brought up to 6,600 feet, this has a #2 in the label, batch#2?

Damn, should've read some reviews, this sucker GUSHES like CRAZY, only got about 8 ozs, shit happens. What a whoosh & what a mess! When this settled down I got mahogany with 4+ fingers of tan head. Good head retention & lacing

S: Sourness, oakyness

T: Slight sourness, vanilla, oakyness, some hints of burgundy up front. Dryness & oakyness dominate as this warms, plus a bit of dark fruit, more vanilla & mustyness& hints of smoke. This doesn't make think American porter, maybe Belgian Porter

MF: Medium bodied with not much carbonation, now that it has dissipated all over my kitchen!

Drinks pretty good despite all the drama, too dry to session on. I have another bottle from Ryan, so I'll adjust my scores if the second bottle shows me something new. I damn sure will open it outside with a pitcher to catch as much beer as feasible! (1,192 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%

From 7/9/10 notes. Had at a local DC tasing. Bottle was from Batch 2.

a - Pours a dark brown color with 2 inches of tan
head and light carbonation.

s - Smells of wine, dark fruits, and cherries. Also some roasted and toasted malts and hint of chocolate.

t - Tastes of cherries, dark fruits, wine, and a little bit of bitterness. Some roasted malts and smokiness comes out in the flavor.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Very easy to drink.

d - I really enjoyed this porter. I thought it smelled amazing and was very easy to drink. I'd like to try it again sometime and try the other variations. (603 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -1.7%

At a recently tasting, all four variants of this beer were tasted side by side. I was personally surprised at the consistency of the results.

Beer is brown to black with a brown head that falls away and doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. This beer exploded with pent up carbonation, shooting out of the neck of the bottle. Our lack of preparedness was punished with the loss of more than half of the bottle to the counter top and the floor. Probably the most ridiculously over carbonated beer I have ever seen.

Beer has a woody / sweet aroma to the whole thing.

This beer had the longest lasting head of the bunch (shocking) and had a slight sour flavor to it with some woody roasty late flavor. Medium body and good drinkability. Pretty good. (751 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

This was a gusher - went all over - Fortunately most stayed in the bottle, and settled down pretty quickly.

Pours dark brown with a thin (despite the gushing - though I did wait a bit before pouring) tan head. Dots of lacing stick.

The smell is of anise, chocolate, a hint of coffee and wood/oak. Vinuous notes of red wine are in the back and mix in well.

The taste is of red wine (that becomes stronger as it progresses) and some chocolate. There is a hint of vanilla with an oaky dryness. Not as "smoked" as I thought it would/could be. A bit tannic, in a red wine way. Finishes dry.

Mild to medium carbonation, medium to full body.

Nice use of oak (though it could be a bit "smokier") and an interesting selection of wine - which shows. Unique, interesting, though it confirms my feeling that chocolate flavors go better with a porter (or a stout) than with red wine. Although I enjoyed it, it's a one-timer for me most likely. Personally, I prefered the bourbon-barrel version. (986 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -4%

Batch 4 thanks to fbm115!

Poured in a pint glass.

Pours 1 finger of creamy tan head. Amazing retention leaving some thick lacing down the glass. Color is a deep dark brown.

Aroma: Sour wine-like notes from the barrels show right away. Has some oak and grape flavors. Chocolate and roasted malts. A very unique porter.

Taste: The taste is almost a bit sour, but still roasted. Grape and oak flavors. It is like beer meets a wine. A lot of wine flavors, but has so much roasted notes with some chocolate. It is very unique.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy and smooth. A medium body with a decent amount of carbonation. Ends a bit sour, but surprisingly clean.

Overall, this is a hit or miss beer imo. If you are not expecting the wine flavors, you probably will think this beer is off. It is odd, but for what it is, I think it is fairly good and somewhat drinkable. (856 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Review from notes taken on 11/12/10.

Batch #4 poured into a small snifter appears a dark brown color with a bit of clarity around the edges. A creamy khaki head appears more than a finger strong and retains nicely with uneven patches across the top of the brew and patchy lacing clinging to the glass.

The aroma is tangy and lightly funky with both a vinous and citrus aspect. There is a light backing of chocolate malt present that provides a mild sweetness to the nose. However, the main composition of the aroma of this brew is the lactic quality which includes a vinous touch. Once the brew comes up to temperature, more of the barrel aging quality starts to come out. Instead of just smelling vinous, it opens up to include a light sweet smelling vanilla character.

The taste includes a lactic sourness that has a light young green yeastiness. At times the dark grain flavors try to come through with some chocolate notes but it is very faint and gets completely trumped by the sourness that is lactic and enjoyably tangy. Some of the alcohol warmth is noted and the chocolate malt flavor finally comes through in the finish. Once this brew reaches warmer temperatures, a light vanilla flavor from the oak aging opens up.

This brew is quite drinkable. It was a pleasant contrast to see this labeled as a porter and look like a porter but be a very wild experience in the flavor and the nose. This is medium to light in the feel with a high level of carbonation. It is prickly on the tongue and comes across as somewhat dry from a combination of the lactic sourness mixed with a light oaked flavor that resides in the mouth. (1,632 characters)

All four variants of Smoke From The Oak served side by side at my tasting on May 29, 2010. Thanks to Pete, Chris, and Brad for supplying the bottles. Review is from notes.

To say this was a gusher is an understatement. The beer spewed forth in a rage all over my kitchen. Infected...ya, pretty much.

This beer is a dark brown color. It has an absolutely enormous head (gusher) that fades after about five minutes leaving very little lacing. Aromas are smoke, oak (go figure), and tannins. The flavor is pretty nice overall, infection or not. The beer is sour and tart, with a tannic presence. The feel is smooth with some noticeable heat in the finish. Overall, a pretty decent brew. Too bad most of the bottle ended up on the counter and floor. (747 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Batch 2; Sampled May 2008
I knew this might be a gusher and I still lost a couple ounces to my counter and sing. A soft pour still produces four-fingers of head in my glass plus another two fingers above the rim. The head is a tight, creamed-chocolate, tan color and the beer is a dark-chocolate brown / black color that is quite opaque even when held up to the light. As I pour this brew a nice wine-influenced aroma wafts to my nose. A deeper inspection yields ample Brettanomyces influence with notes of sweat, musty horse-blanket notes, butyric acid and a sharp-yet-light tartness. Underneath the more dominant funkiness is are some porter notes of toasted grain, lightly roasted coffee beans and if you smell the beer in a sideways sort of fashion (figuratively of course) there is a substantial, bright berry like wine character, a touch of jam and some leather and tobacco notes to this beer. The smoked malt aromatics have almost completely been subsumed by the other aromas, but there is perhaps a touch of saltiness here that could be attributed to it.

Lightly sweet tasting up front with a middle that has a nice berry-like wine character to it that just barely makes its presence known. A lot of the carbonation was lost during the initial gushing and in the 5+ minutes it has sat in my glass, it is still well carbonated though and this combines with a fairly light body to make this pretty easy drinking. The funk is a bit more muted in the flavor than in the aroma, but the Brett influence definitely comes out in the finish; musty, light notes of phenolic soaked cotton balls, butyric acid notes, some acidity that accentuates the wine character and a woody mushroom note. This finishes with a mix of fruit-driven wine flavors, and some porter flavors of toasted grain, roasted malts, toasted bread-like flavors and a touch of burnt grain bitterness. The actual oak contribution here is soft; there is some spicy oak character towards the finish, and a touch of tannic character seems to influence the texture, but it remains a supporting cast member here, which I quite like.

My second pour still has an incredible level of carbonation, this makes me realize how velvety the texture of this beer really is. Despite being very well carbonated the beer feels quite smooth and velvet-like all while foaming up as it crosses the tongue; quite an interesting textural experience that I don't believe I have ever experienced in a beer before. I can't taste any smokiness in this brew at all & I wonder if he left the smoke malt out of this brew completely.

This is by far my favorite of the from the oak beers so far. This doesn't have any heavy-handed hard liquor competing with the funkiness that I really found jarring in the other two versions of this I have had. Instead the wine barrel influence works quite well with both the Brettanomyces and the base porter. I really like the fruit notes that the wine barrel aging have added to this beer, it is nothing heavy, but most certainly a welcome addition to up the complexity of this brew. Sans the slight wine influence, this is exactly as I would imagine an old, pre 1900s, unblended, stale porter would have been like (sans the modern malt formulation of course). This is just a great marriage of funkiness & barrel influence with porter. If it wasn't so explosive already I would love to age some more of this. I definitely came into this with a bit of skepticism, but this has delivered and I am quite happy with this brew; this makes me really want to try the Port-Barrel version. (3,554 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -8.9%

750ml bottle batch 3. Purchased at the brewery. Part of Compound Spring Binge 09'. Poured into a snifter.

A- Being cautious while opening, SFTO was not a gusher thankfully. Batch 3 is a jet black dark color with no light coming through. A gracious dark tan/brown head reached one inch in height. Some nice streaks of lace on the inside of the glass. Nice for a barrel aged beer.

S- The wine barrel really comes forth in the smell with a lighter presence of oak from the barrel. Some vanilla as well with a overall sour sense. Getting some dark fruits and roastiness from the base beer. A bunch of roasted malt giving of a sweet aroma. Smoke is in the back as well and is not heavy unlike the name of this beer would suggest.

T- Well this version is good no doubt about it. As expected the wine just jumps out at you leaving most of the porter qualities to the end. The barrel aging is pronounced with both Merlot and Pinot Noir notes coming in strong. In the middle some chocolate and licorice and some smoked malts and more porter tastes towards the backend. With warming some vanilla rears it's head making for a nice addition.

M- SFTO wine is pretty much on the medium bodied side of things but the taste would suggest otherwise. This has the feel of a beer but the taste of wine. A bit hard to get accustomed to but time heals this. The sweet malts used in this makes for a pretty smooth BA beer. The carbonation is nice and is felt but I guess is not as high as earlier batches with the no gusher.

D- Not knowing the ABV on this I would assume the barrel aging would step up the regular smoked porter(6.4%) a notch or two and im feeling quite nice as I type. I took my time with this to really get to know it. Not really being a big wine drinker I prefer the bourbon barrel more but this is a nice addition to the bunch. Maybe some age would bring out some more porter qualities but that would defy the purpose of SFTO, wouldn't it? (1,942 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance: pours a very dark brown almost black color with a 2" head that lasts.

Smell: sweet malt, alcohol, and fruit sweetness are all easily detectable with some softer earthiness in the background.

Taste: big roasted malt tones and slightly smokey with some red grape sweetness. A hint of vanilla arrives late along with some soft earthy tones. Alcohol is warming.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp to start and smooth at the finish. Super long aftertaste as the flavors remain in the mouth for what seems like minutes. Medium-heavy in body.

Drinkability: one bomber bottle is enough for me, but this lasted for almost two hours as my after dinner beer. Wonderful flavors and grows more complex as it warmed. Seek this out. (725 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +2%

This is the latest offering/creation from Scott V and the good Captain. They only made 40 cases, so this will not last long. Pours pretty much black, with lots of sticky lacing and sheeting left behind from the dark tan head. Nose here is the expected, light smoke and woody, earthiness from the wooden casks. Acrid smoke/wood on the palate, full flavor, complex brew. Bring on the BBQ ad hearty fare. Nice stuff, probably will improve and mellow a bit after residing in the bottle for a few months. (499 characters)

Smoke From The Oak (Wine Barrel Aged) from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.