Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Smoke From The Oak (Wine Barrel Aged) - Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Smoke From The Oak (Wine Barrel Aged)Smoke From The Oak (Wine Barrel Aged)

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Porter |  6.40% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Billolick on 03-18-2007

Enhanced with Brettanomyces
3.68/5  rDev -8.7%

EXPLOSION CITY!!! Half the bottle ended up on the carpet. I emailed Captain Lawrence and if they make it up, I'll revise this review.

A: Dark brown body with a bit of light penetrating at the edges, but not through the center. A bit of head is an understatement, considering half the bottle was head.

S: Nice sour aroma dominates and no smoke is detectable.

T: The smoke is more detectable in the flavor. There is a bit of fruitness from the wine as well. The sour kicks in mid palate and lasts.

M: Fairly light bodied for a porter but the bugs will thin it out.

D: I can't give it great drinkability because I only got to drink half the bottle.

3.68/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 4 poured into my trusty Capt. Lawrence pint glass.

A- Due to my overzealous pour I ended up with a glass of massive dark tan head. Pretty quickly it died down to a disc of head that stuck around until the very end. The beer itself is completely opaque black with red/brown highlights.

S- Sourness, wine, dark fruits, some malty notes. The wine takes center stage here.

T- Nice mild sour start with a mellow roasted malt and faint smoke finish. Lots of winey dark fruit, sour cherries, bittersweet chocolate, dark malt, and just a hint of smoke on the end. The sourness and late chocolate notes work really well together.

M- The pour made it look thicker than it is as well as a nice lingering "chewiness", but this is definitely on the lighter side. Not quite medium bodied. Some prickly carbonation, but mostly smooth. Lingering acidic dryness.

D- One to share. I drank the whole bottle myself over the course of a rainy evening, but it was almost too much. I really liked the sourness a lot and I didn't find it "funky" like some other reviewers. The wine flavors seem to be the main thing going on here, but it is still nicely balanced by the malts.

3.7/5  rDev -8.2%

Bottle from The Ginger Man. Black body, soapy head.chocolate aroma, with wine. Malted tastes, but sourness is clearly there and cumulative. The bulk of the mouthfeel is above average. Late in the bottle, more wine, more sour aroma, and more lace.Oak in minority, perhaps this doesn't age all that well. Nice one.

3.77/5  rDev -6.5%

b.4 From Shogo as part of a trade, thanks much.

Heeding the warnings from the giant additional label, this was kept darn cold and still in the back of the fridge for a couple months before opening. Without much effort at all the head spilled to 3" over 2.5" of brew.

Almost smells like cherrys mixed with kalamata olives. Once the head settles (still nearly 1/2") this is much more sour/wine and the smoke is present.

WEIRD taste. I'm not getting much by way of 'smoke' in it at all, but there are numerous sour/fruit flavors overlapping and the middle/end is all malt. The sour and lots of carbonation make this much lighter than any other porter I've had (smoked or otherwise). The taste is 'good' just 'not what I want in a porter'.

very bubbly on the tounge. After waiting quite a while to enjoy this, I must say I'm not really. It is more confusing than exciting; more mashed than mixed.

If 'drinkability' still existed I would rate this a 2/2.5. The sour doesn't enhance the base porter.

3.77/5  rDev -6.5%

A - Poured out an opaque, jet black color with a small, light brown head of soft, foam. It left minimal lacing.

S - It smelled of a strong sourness with notes of oak and red wine.

T - Didn't really have many porter qualities. It was sour and had a strong oak and vanilla present. There was some maltiness but no roasted flavors you get in a porter.

M - It was soft and smooth with a very dry finish. A medium bodied ale.

D - This is interesting. The wine barrel aging removes the porter-like qualities and mellows it out.

3.78/5  rDev -6.2%

25.4oz bottle, Boulevard tulip, batch 4.

This bottle was a slow gusher, my first, and I had a bowl at the ready after reading some previous reviews. Slight overflow was not a problem, as I began pouring and it ceased. The beer is a standard but handsome one; dark with a garnet hue at the bottom and medium brown foam with great retention.

Ribbons of wood smoke hang out with tart berry, red wine, and port. The aroma would not give away any type of infection had I not known of some such issues before hand. A bit of dry cocoa is evident.

Initially upon sipping Porter characteristics show up; chocolate and roast. Berry and cherry-like tartness intensifies the further in I go and the smoke is always in the background, coffee too. Nothing screams red wine, but when you know it's obviously a part of the whole.

Mouthfeel isn't overly affected by the excess of carbonation. The body feels thinned out but not fizzy.

Here is a beer that I feel could be excellent. I don't think it was meant to be sour, and honestly I feel that at the level it's at it adds to the beer more than subtracts. The base beer needs a bit more oomph, to be a more expressive Porter. It's close, Captain.

3.79/5  rDev -6%

Perfect appearence, evidence of the natural nature. Glorious head and dark brown color. Mild aroma, showcasing a bit of oak , chocolate, smoke and red wine. Flavor is nicely balanced and enjoyable, but could be a bit more amped up. It’s not very concentrated or very flavorful in general. It’s an impressively made and unique beer, but the finished product is just ok. This is one of the few instances that the beer might have been aged a bit too long in oak. Very little character of the original beer comes through, and I think that would be a welcome element. Still, I am impressed with Captain Lawrence thusfar.

3.81/5  rDev -5.5%

First off, thanks to ScorseseZoe for sharing!

Poured from a 750 ml into a Duvel tulip, Batch #3.

The beer poured a beautiful deep deep brown with a huge volumonus 1 1/4" tan head that bubbled and poped, resembling a lunar surface. On of the best looking beers that I had seen in a while.

Up front on the nose, the wine barrel aging comes in first, followed by some estery notes and a slight molasses finish.

Let start off by saying this is a good beer but I was able to enjoy it more by not thinking of it as an aged porter but rather as a sour ale with notes of roasty porter-ness. I would have really liked more porter to come through, instead of strong sour notes up front, giving way to notes of port and then finally a very slight porter finish. If I had had an anchor steam porter in the fridge I might of tried blending the two for kicks. I will say that once this brew warmed up more, the porter came through slightly more (no surprise there) but I just wish that this was bigger bodied beer to support it's big taste. In a way, it almost tasted watered down with the flavors dropping off very quickly.

Mouthfeel was definitely a porter mouthfeel, light feeling but with a medium body.

For the sour notes, it made this beer almost refreshing to drink but do to the lack of balance with flavors I couldn't give it higher than a 3.

3.81/5  rDev -5.5%

First sip and smell is kind sour from the merlot and cab wine barrels, I'm assuming. It grows on you really fast. I bought 2 bottles drank one, aging one. Not picking up the smoke from the porter. Getting a lot of oak from the barrels and sour from the wine. A little watery-mouth feel, but I can taste the porter in the way aftertaste. It's still very complex.

I am hoping that the one I'm aging for a year turns out better.
I enjoyed this beer a lot, but The Smoke from the Oak in Woodford Reserve barrels has to be my favorite.

3.83/5  rDev -5%

Got this one from Rciesla, cheers Ryan! This was slightly leaking when I received it today, despite the fact Ryan had wrapped electrical tape around the cap. Maybe it's an altitude deal, seen this before with beers coming from near sea level, plus various plastic bottles of stuff I've brought up to 6,600 feet, this has a #2 in the label, batch#2?

Damn, should've read some reviews, this sucker GUSHES like CRAZY, only got about 8 ozs, shit happens. What a whoosh & what a mess! When this settled down I got mahogany with 4+ fingers of tan head. Good head retention & lacing

S: Sourness, oakyness

T: Slight sourness, vanilla, oakyness, some hints of burgundy up front. Dryness & oakyness dominate as this warms, plus a bit of dark fruit, more vanilla & mustyness& hints of smoke. This doesn't make think American porter, maybe Belgian Porter

MF: Medium bodied with not much carbonation, now that it has dissipated all over my kitchen!

Drinks pretty good despite all the drama, too dry to session on. I have another bottle from Ryan, so I'll adjust my scores if the second bottle shows me something new. I damn sure will open it outside with a pitcher to catch as much beer as feasible!

3.83/5  rDev -5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this bottle from ShogoKawada...thanks man! Poured safely from a capped 750ml bottle into my tasting snifter. Pours a wonderful looking dark black, with brown and reddish tinges shining through. A massive toffee colored head arises and not only has excellent retention, but great looking lacing as well. Overall, a great looking beer!

Aroma is also very inviting! Tons of roasted malts, slight booze, sour cherries...mixed with a mild wine/funkiness.

Flavor is very decent, but not as good as I was hoping for. Based on the style, I was hoping for just a bit more sweetness, which doesn't really exist. Loads of roasted malts and semi-sour cherries. Not overwhelmingly sour, but a decent contrast. Booze doesn't really come through in the mouth. Carbonation is very high, mouthfeel is a medium body. Overall, a tasty beer...different, but not one I"ll probably seek out anytime soon.

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

750ml bottle split with friends on 06/30/10. My portion poured into a Duvel tulip.

Affixed with a sticker warning of high carbonation instructing to refrigerate for at least 24 hours but exploded in my friends kitchen even when I followed that advice. I detect what seems like a sharp blast of pedio acidity as I clean up but we'll get back to that shortly.

Forms a medium sized light brown head w loose bubbles atop a porter black body. Some lacing briefly attempts to cling to the sides of the glass but doesn't stick for long.

Vinous, sour, acidic, and slightly sweet, this smells like a wild ale with some underlying chocolate notes. Surprised they don't label this as a sour ale, it's more tart than some beers categorized as 'wild'. I can imagine someone picking this up who wasn't used to sours being more than a little put off.

The chocolate notes of the base beer still shine but some of the roasted character is lost in the tartness and wine-like acidity. Interesting that this reminds me slightly of some unintentionally 'soured' porters and stouts I've tried (think Portsmouth) though it works better in this case. Still, between the flavor and the bottle-bomb I experienced on opening I can't be 100% that this tastes as intended and didn't pick up an accidental infection of some kind.

The surprisingly strong influence of the wine barrel has this Porter leaning almost towards a slightly tart Port. Very interesting but can't really say I prefer this to the regular Captain Lawrence Porter.

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served in a tulip glass.

Big thanks to wedgie9 for sharing this bottle!

Batch 4. Finally getting the chance to try some of this series. Here goes: It pours a straight obsidian topped by over two fingers of rich tan foam. The nose comprises cinnamon, light roasted malts, dark chocolate, brown sugar, red apple skin, light oak, nutmeg, and light molasses. Not much of the wine barrel in there, but it does smell pretty damn good. The taste deviates a bit, holding notes of red wine, dark vinegar (can't tell which one, as my experience with vinegars is pretty limited...I just know it's brown...), sour black cherry, dark chocolate, very light roasted malts in the back, oak, and some smoke stuffed way in the background. The body is a lazy medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a kinda sticky finish. Overall, a decidedly interesting beer. It's got some smoked porter character, but it's shoved to the rear in favor of some sour, vinous notes. Combined, it's like nothing I've had before (that hasn't been infected, that is). I can't at all say it's bad, but it's not the best barrel-aged smoked porter I've ever had, in terms of strict style.

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Forced to drink this one early because the top popped off; bit of a disappointment. Odd mold looking clusters in the foam - yum.

Appearance: Typical dark porter, big head, nice lacing.

Smell: Coffee, chocolate, oak, bit of red wine in the back. Bit of funky brett as well, not much but more than I expected. Might actually save the beer from mediocrity.

Taste: similar to the aroma - coffee, chocolate, oak, bit of red wine. Also some sort of jam, along with leather and tobacco. My guess is merlot barrels.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body, decent carbonation.

Drinkability: decent, seemed to draw this one out due to lack of interest.

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%

Done at a tasting with jrallen34. Cheers.

A - A dark brown/mahogany color with a nicce tan head that dissipated to a full cap and left some lacing on the sides.

S - Oddly, there is a bit of pimento olive smell on this. Sweet candy and a nice, rich oak-wine smell with a solid porter back. There's nothing subtle about the wine influence but it is not gimicky or overpowering.

T - Some sweeet grape mixed in with a traditional porter feel. You get some nice wood influcence and a little bit of tart on the end. If someone can tell me what that pimento ollive taste is, I would greatly appreciate it, but I do get a little of that, although it's not bad. Something of a tart finish on the end.

M - Slightly over carbonated, makes it seem less full bodied than it really is. Not bad, but kind of confusing for the beer.

D - Not bad, it's only 6.4% but can get it down easily enough. Some pretty strong tastes, but I don't think this is a discouragement. Would drink this again.

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%

Thanks to Matt for sharing this one.

A: The pour is a dark brown color with a fairly sizable khaki colored head.

S: A pretty nice aroma here, better than I was expecting. The smoked aspect of the porter certainly comes through nicely but is not overpowering. The wine barrel gives the beer a mild fruitiness and some subtle oak and tart notes.

T: I don't really pick up too much of the wine or oak flavor. The porter is the main attraction here and the smoke is fairly dominant. But, still a nice flavor to the beer.

M: Medium bodied with an excessive level of carbonation. The carbonation sort of takes away from the beer, to be honest.

D: A nice beer, and I liked the flavors going on here, but the carbonation really detracts from the experience. Hopefully, Captain Lawrence can get this under control.

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%

Batch 4 thanks to fbm115!

Poured in a pint glass.

Pours 1 finger of creamy tan head. Amazing retention leaving some thick lacing down the glass. Color is a deep dark brown.

Aroma: Sour wine-like notes from the barrels show right away. Has some oak and grape flavors. Chocolate and roasted malts. A very unique porter.

Taste: The taste is almost a bit sour, but still roasted. Grape and oak flavors. It is like beer meets a wine. A lot of wine flavors, but has so much roasted notes with some chocolate. It is very unique.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy and smooth. A medium body with a decent amount of carbonation. Ends a bit sour, but surprisingly clean.

Overall, this is a hit or miss beer imo. If you are not expecting the wine flavors, you probably will think this beer is off. It is odd, but for what it is, I think it is fairly good and somewhat drinkable.

3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a near black color with a huge light brown head that dissipated into a nice cap. I waited 2 weeks before opening this bottle but it still gushed a bit; didn't lose too much though. The aroma is tart and funky, smells like oak wine barrels and very light smoke. The taste starts off tart, with wine characteristics and sour cherries. Towards the end there are hints of roasted malt and slight smoke. I was expecting more of a smokey flavor. The feel is well bodied with fizzy carbonation; finishes dry and tart. A very nice porter that really takes on the characteristics of the wine barrels. A bit too much for my liking. I was expecting more of a malt presence and definitely more of a smokey flavor. Still recommended.

3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

This was a gusher - went all over - Fortunately most stayed in the bottle, and settled down pretty quickly.

Pours dark brown with a thin (despite the gushing - though I did wait a bit before pouring) tan head. Dots of lacing stick.

The smell is of anise, chocolate, a hint of coffee and wood/oak. Vinuous notes of red wine are in the back and mix in well.

The taste is of red wine (that becomes stronger as it progresses) and some chocolate. There is a hint of vanilla with an oaky dryness. Not as "smoked" as I thought it would/could be. A bit tannic, in a red wine way. Finishes dry.

Mild to medium carbonation, medium to full body.

Nice use of oak (though it could be a bit "smokier") and an interesting selection of wine - which shows. Unique, interesting, though it confirms my feeling that chocolate flavors go better with a porter (or a stout) than with red wine. Although I enjoyed it, it's a one-timer for me most likely. Personally, I prefered the bourbon-barrel version.

3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

750ml bottle, poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Really dark brown, almost black in color - totally opaque. Huge 3 fingers of mocha brown head on top. Somewhat loose and a little bit soda like...leaves a cluster of bubbles in the middle of the glass and a thick collar...nice lacing too.

S - Smells a little bit on the sour side, but mostly resembles a cabernet...some dark sour cherries. Interesting.

T - Good porter base...nice and roasty, just enough smokiness-but it is subtle. Good touches from the wine barrels - some tannins, fruityness, some sour cherries. Nice.

M - A fit foamy feeling. Full bodied. Carbonation is on the high side - giving the foaminess, but it isn't especially prickly - more on the creamy side. Good.

D - I think sharing this bottle is the right idea. Tastes pretty good, but a whole bottle might be a bit much for me. I'm liking this a lot, but feeling a bit heavy. Feels stronger and boozier than the 6.4% stated. Not like it is 12% or such, but feels more like an 8%'er...

3.91/5  rDev -3%

Big thanks to ShogoKawada for sharing the Captain Lawrence love. Batch 4. Poured from a 750mL bottle into my Portsmouth tulip.

Toffee-tinged seal brown body, opaque but cut through with surging lines of microbubbles feeding the rocky yet dense three fingers of fawn foam. Heavy sticky lacing clings like scum on the surface of consommé.

Heavily vinuous estery aromatics suggest substantial oxidation at first whiff. Grape skins and light roast malt show up faintly in the background.

Sour and smokey palate entry with hints of ancient balsamic vinegar, pomegranate, pipe tobacco, cherry pits, and Irish Coffee. Mild citrus and earth from hops contribute a vague bitterness leading to a tart tannic finish. Thoroughly unique, though the barrel notes overwhelm the roast malt base (which come out a bit more as the ale warms). On flavor alone, in some ways, this reminds me more of a sangria than a beer!

Effervescent (though not explosively carbonated as the warning label suggested!), creamy, lightly astringent, and not quite medium-bodied.

Surprisingly drinkable, though if you aren't keen on sours, you should know this this has about as much in common with an Oud Bruin than an American Porter...

3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

Bottle from batch 4, purchased at the Cuvee de Castleton release on July 24. Consumed on July 26, after 40 hours of refrigeration, per the warning label's directions. The bottle opened with an uninspiring and unimpressive hiss. Then the foam started creeping upward. Luckily, I was able to catch it all.

Poured into my snifter, the pour produces a nice 1-inch thick creamy white head that sits nicely atop a completely opaque black body. Sipping slowly, the foam leaves behind a great wall of lace...very thick, and not delicate at all.

The aroma is incredibly complex and interesting...like nothing I have ever smelled before. There is a combination of smoke, vinous notes, and sour pediomyces. I am also able to make out undertones of caramel/toffee. The potency of the wine barrel contribution is astounding. The red grape aromas are really well done.

On the pallet, the beer continues to improve. I am having a hard time rating this because for a porter, it falls extremely short ("infection" subdues the smokey roast), but for a wild, I think it is pretty impressive. Rating strictly to style is really difficult for this. Even so, that's what my numbers say. I will continue, though... The smoke comes through pretty nicely, but not as well as it does in the nose, as the sourness from the wild yeasts and bacteria stomp it out and begin to add their own flavors. Those sour notes meld beautifully with the vinous characters from the wine barrels. The finish is roasty, caramel-filled, and a little bit smokey.

Despite the high level of carbonation from the pour, the mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, especially in the finish. The sourness isn't overbearing at this point, though I imagine it will eventually get there. It does make the mouth pucker a bit, but it is very enjoyable. This is such an amazing beer, I could drink this all night. The manageable alcohol level makes it a multiple-serving beer.

3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

750ml bottle, courtesy of msulinski (thank you!), into a snifter. Batch 4.

A - Pours a ruby-tinged dark auburn, with a huge three finger head that takes a while to fade. Plenty of lacy rings on the glass as it goes down.

S - Vine, grapes, and barrel are upfront. Some smoke, leather, chocolate, and hints of burnt sugar are more in the background.

T - The vinous quality of the grapes is pretty strong. More chocolate than I expected, and sweeter too. The smoke doesn't quite make itself known until it warms, and then it pretty much dominates the finish, in a good way. Hard to say that it's from a pinot barrel; more like an indistinct wine barrel.

M - Silky, almost to the point of feeling oily. It's pretty light-bodied, which doesn't quite jive with my expectations of the style.

O - This is a solid offering -- my girlfriend agreed with me that it's an unusual taste but very nice. I've heard that the new imperial version isn't as good, which is a shame. If this was more readily available, I'd probably grab a couple more. As it is, I'd just like to find another bottle of this for a special occasion down the road.

3.95/5  rDev -2%

Thanks to witbier for this bottle from Batch 4. Sure as the label warned, this one was a gusher.

A: The porter is a full syrupy brown color, concentrated to the point of blackness. The carbonation lends over four fingers of off-white head that are slow to recede.

S: The nose is a conflicting mixture of smoked, roasted malts and tannic red wine. And you know what? There's just enough of a funky sour aroma running through the ale. Very interesting.

T: The red wine barrel leaves the porter bone dry. More funk follows, further drying the taste out. The porter, a bold chewy ale on its own, has disappeared behind the barrel. The red wine presence is bold, a strong flavor that meshes well. The contrast of the sourness of the chocolate that emerges late in each sip is the lynchpin. It's how the differing flavors don't get along that makes the porter enjoyable. A tannic finish is a good way to go.

M: The mouthfeel stresses the dryness of the wine barrel with a small dose of funk. Porter flavors are slow to emerge, giving the barrel the primetime spotlight.

D: Under 7%, incredibly complex and a touch funky. What more do you need? The wine barrel is not my preferred vessel but the tartness is very enjoyable.

3.95/5  rDev -2%

Many thanks to gkatsoris for this one.

Sadly, this bottle was a gusher and I lost more than half the bottle on the floor. The dogs, however, couldn't be happier.

Poured from the bottle a deep black with a huge rich and creamy tan head. Decent lacing all around.

Aroma of red wine, sweet caramel malts, soap detergent, and chocolate.

The red wine coming from the barrels really shines thru in this one. More-traditional porter notes follow. Chocolate, roasted malts, nuts, and coffee are present.

Mouthfeel is on the thinner side and sharply carbonated.

The sourness from the wine was distracting at first, but then the beer started to grow on me. Very drinkable and a must try.

Smoke From The Oak (Wine Barrel Aged) from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.