Cuvee De Castleton - Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Cuvee De CastletonCuvee De Castleton

Wants: 1,016
Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Wild Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Billolick on 05-12-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cuvee De Castleton Alström Bros

Pours a golden orange color, with considerable notes of Brettanomyces yeast and Muscat grapes complimented by malted barley. Cuvee De Castleton has a buttery Chardonnay like character from being aged in French oak barrels. Incredibly smooth with a crsp, clean finish. This is undoubtedly one of the best sour ales I have ever had. (330 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Batch 1...bottle

Poured into a wine glass...nice hazy yellow color with a nice foamy white head.

Aroma is amazing, there is so much going on...lemons, white grapes, sour apples, mild brett barnyard, oak and vanilla. Its very intense and the smell is extremely sour.

Flavor is very sour, had batch 2 and it was not as intense yet. I think it still needs some time to catch up to this one. Nice flavors of sour grapes, lemon zest, oak. Its very tart, but very drinkable at the same time. The mouth feel is nicely carbonated and smooth. I could drink this all night, but my stash of these bottles is dwindling. (611 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +14.9%

A - It looks like a yellow, semi-still, and somewhat hazy Gueuze. It looks potent, if not impressive.

S - Wow. That is always a good way to start, with a 'wow'. Tart pineapple and assorted tropical golden fruit bombard the olfactory. As it opens up, deep funky notes of wet wood, sulfur, and lactic-sour become apparent. This is exactly how I like my sour/tart/wild beer. Interestingly, I don't pick up on any specific white grape notes; it is more tropical and tart than vinous.

T - Extrapolate the sensations of the olfactory to the gustatory, and there you have it. No more, no less. It is very dry, semi-tart (but not way-out-there), with complex fruitiness, a tremendous subtlety and it is just so impressively sublime.

M - Champagne could do no better.

D - Drinkable as it gets. An absolute pleasure. (810 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +13.7%

A: Not quite a gusher but it was happy to get out of the bottle in to my Hennepin glass. Minimal white head. Slightly hazy golden color.

S: Funk right up front. Little bit musty with hints of grapes and some other fruit that is hard to pin down. You can smell a little of the tartness as well.

T: Starts of tart on the front of your tongue. Then you get that wonderful blast of funky fruit. Then it goes into a taste that I can only describe as a good white wine. Finishes with a more subtle version of funk. No real taste of the barrel on this one. As it warmed got more hints of white grapes.

M: Medium body. Well carbonated. Finishes a little on the dry side but it worked with the wine like taste. I love the tartness on my lips after taking a sip.

D: Insanely drinkable. Would love to know the ABV on this but I don't care. If this were 20% I would still want it all the time. Totally different than anything I have ever had. Just a singular beer. Can't wait to see what this beast turns in to with a little time on it. (1,028 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearance:

Tonight I am pulling out my favorite glass in the cabinet, my Dogfish Head goblet which I am finding out that I need to try and buy more of these since I'm always washing and using this one. As I pulled the short bottle out of the fridge I took a glance at the classy light blue and ornate writing which reminds me of a mini fine champagne bottle. As I pulled off the cap everything seemed to go picture perfect and a beautiful loud hiss came from the neck and the carbonation gasses lingered around the mouth's bottle. On the pour I decided to go slowly and give slight tilt to my glass trying to not create a overflowing head while not pouring out the yeast dregs on the bottom. When I was finished I was left with a slim half inch thick bone white head that hung around the whole time and had tiny champagne like bubble floating up from the bottom. This beauty is a deep golden hay like color that is absolutely clear with some lemon and golden apple undertones. Bright and sunny with no haze or yeast floating around this is just perfect and when I give a slight swirl the viscosity appears to be pretty light only leaving some little legs crawling down the glass walls.

Smell:

Right out of the gate, this has powerful citrus and lemon notes surrounded by slight sweetness and acidity. Very floral perfume like aromas are surrounding all of the fruit and acid which really balances this very nicely. Slight hay and barnyard funk is there as well, almost reminds me of my moms old musty basement but in a warming familiar way. In the finish, loads of white grapes and apricots tingle your nostrils and resemble a Pinot Grigio wine.

Taste:

This is an aggressive start to a sour beer! Very mouth puckering and full of acid but the grapes really are the major component here. Vinous and sweet-tart like with lots of citrus and wood and slight vanilla undertones. Funk beyond belief and almost hard to describe, its amazing what those brett bugs can do to a well crafted base beer. Green apples, and slight vinegar round out the middle and balance out some of the cloying sweetness. In the finish, almost a slight burn of the lemon like acid hits my throat and reminds me that I got a whole glass left of this delicious punishment to my esophagus.

Drinkability:

What can I say, this was a stellar beer and I am sad to see it go. This was big and bold yet so complex with lots of flavors going on that are stellar. As I drank this to the end my palate became a little shot from all the acid but it was worth every last drop. I only had a tiny sip of this last time at a tasting and was hoping another one would find its way to me again and thankfully it did. I would highly recommend this beer to any sour head out there and if you can find it or trade for it I'd say jump on the deal ASAP. Thanks again to Chris for hooking me up and I hope we can work out something again soon (2,895 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

Review 500!! Hopefully Scott doesn't let me down. Batch 2. Huge thanks to bwyker for getting me a bottle at the release.

A: It started frothing as soon as I cracked the bottle but it wasn't a gusher. No beer was harmed during the pouring of my glass. A huge white head formed while pouring in the glass again with copious carbonation but it fell immediately leaving only a cloudy straw color beer with tons of visible carbonation.

S: Funk city baby!! Super tart aroma. It is very obvious there is Brett in there. I don't really get any grapes because the funk is so strong but there is the typical apple.

T: Super tart bite up front but quickly fades into a nice sweetness and a smooth sweet white wine flavor. The weird/impressive thing is how little aftertaste there is. Usually I find that Brett beers leave a super tart dusty aftertaste and the sweet grapes seem to eliminate that, creating a great package.

M: The lack of the tart aftertaste creates a interesting situation where I find myself drinking sips faster than usual trying to capture that early tartness and not linger on the sweetness. I consider that to be a great thing.

D: Nor'Easter is amazing, but this is the best beer that Captain Lawrence makes as far as I'm concerned. A great beer from every possible angle. Scott did not let me down. (1,316 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

This brew is absolutely amazing. Picked up my alloted 6 bottles at the brewery this past weekend, and had a bottle that night. Beer has a great yellow-orange color. The smell is definitely that of a sour ale. The taste hints at lemon and bitter orange peel. The mouthfeel is impressive. This beer makes you wish you were a Captain Lawrence employee...

Excellent job!!! Great release day!!!! Hopefully this can become a twice annual release... (443 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +10%

Finally got to try this highly hyped Beer, apparently it took quite some effort for my good friend to secure a bottle.

Appearance: Lemonade colored with just about no head, it turned a bit more orangey and opaque when I got a refill.

Smell: Lavander and litchi fruit, the kind you usually find in a nice dessert white wine - I've seen it in ice cider as well - but with a interesting horseblanket backdrop that is just enough to please lambic lovers without scaring off those who don't.

Taste: Fabulously intense acidity, almost lime-like with a bit of mandarine oranges. The carbonation levels and flavor reminds me of Federweisser, a partially fermented white wine served in the Franconian region. Lots of lemon rind twang that dries up the back of your tongue. Wine geeks would wet their panties over this one, it really didn't dissapoint. (845 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +10%

750ml bottle acquired in trade with puzzl (thanks!). Batch 1.

Gusher alert. This one erupted all over my bar.

Poured a medium and hazy yellow color with a small sized head (after gushing, I expected this to pour all head). Aromas of wood, grapes, coconut sunscreen, pineapples, lemon pledge, earthy, and funky. Tastes of grapes, wood, pineapples, citrus, and funky. Nice medium pucker/tartness.

Notes from 8/15/07 (417 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +9.5%

This is a Batch 2 bottle:

When I popped the cap, it started to *slowly* gush but not a drop was lost!

A hazy straw yellow colour, the foam was about an inch deep max with some good lacing.

The smell is very nice! Some tartness, some fruitiness that's mostly citrus lemon and grape I think, and a good amount of a nose brought on by the Brett. This one smells delicious.

The taste has a very tasty tartness up front with good notes of lime with some lemon, grape that is semisweet, wood, some Brett that is more noticeable in the nose than the taste but yeah, it's there. Ahhh. No sign of the alcohol at all in either the nose or the taste and that kicks up the drinkability big time.

Mouthfeel falls just short of medium with the carbonation being on the lighter side of heavy and man that works for me. It finishes with a mix of tartness and slight funk and has a rather short lived aftertaste. Great brew here!!

Btw, second pour got it all cloudy and the foam left right after I put the bottle down so...it's not the best looker in a glass(cloudy is fine by me) but it sure makes up for it with the smell and taste. This 750ml bottle will be doubly easy to finish and I plant it firmly in the "exceptional drinkability" category.

Bottom line: When I look to try an American Wild Ale, I want all sorts of flavours and smell to go on and *this* one fits the bill superbly! I cannot recommend this brew highly enough!! I once again salute Captain Lawrence for their brewing skills!! (1,489 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Bright yellow. 3 finger foamy white head.

S: Pungent sour and citrus notes.

T: Wonderfully sour. Great lemony citrus on the nose followed by vinegary sourness.

M: Light and refreshing. Well carbonated.

O: So glad to have tried this. Up there with Beatification. I need to find more. (290 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 4 From the release. Poured into The Bruery Tulip.

A - A pleasant slightly hazy straw like color. Translucent with a head that dissipates very quickly.

S - Smells like grapes, similar to white wine. You can get a good feel of the tartness in nose. Always nice when you're looking forward to a sour and you get a lot of it right in the nose.

T - Served slightly chilled - A nice balance of sour and sweet. The grape flavor really comes through in this one alongside of some slight oakiness. Nice and tart with just the right amount of bite. Each sip leaves you wanting more.

M - Pretty thin body, appropriate for the style. Feels very clean on the tongue with a lively carbonation that has just the right amount of sharpness.

D - Highly drinkable, the tartness makes each sip better than the last. I can tell I'm going to go through mine pretty fast. Wish i had a couple cases of this one. Nicely done! another great brew from the crew @ CL (949 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy gold with no head, looks very simalar to wine. Aroma of funk and sour grapes, tastes a lot like wine with great sour notes. Smooth yet dry, very tasty, sour but not over the top, its just right I wish this wasn't limited because I would drink it all the time!!! (274 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Reviewing the Cuvee de Castleton from Captain Lawrence Brewing Company out of Elmsford, New York.

Score: 98

Batch 4 (summer 2010 vintage). Served in a hard plastic wine glass and enjoyed on 05/18/13. Review is from iPhone notes.

Appearance: Pours an orange-golden color with minimal bubbly head off the pour. Virtually no head or lacing. Nothing special in appearance. 3.25/5

Smell: Tart lemon zest, peach, white grape, citrus juice, vinegar, and brett. Absolutely phenomenal sour-apparent nose. 4.75/5

Taste: Just as tart as the nose promised! A divine medley of sour peach, white grapiness, brett, vinegar. 4.75/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, lightly carbonated. Quite tart, very dry finish. Love the pucker here! 5/5

Overall: A truly amazing American sour. This is one of the more pucker-inducing beers I have had to date. I wish I had more bottles of this!

Cost: $15 for a 500 ml bottle. (896 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12.7 oz bottle, batch 5, poured into a mini tulip glass.

A- Pours a slightly hazy golden color, produces a wispy white head, leaves little lacing.

S- Lemony tartness, musty barnyard funkiness, some apple and white grape, oak. As it warms a really fantastic, floral, perfumey spice aroma comes out and merges with the barnyard funkiness in a really great way. The aroma is really incredible.

T- Starts out with apple and white grape before a nice amount of acidity kicks in, a decent amount of lemon, balanced acidity (not leaning too heavily towards acetic like a lot of American sours do). Nice barnyard funkiness, as well as oak, dry vinous flavors and a bit of vanilla. As with the aroma, very complex and delicious.

M- Medium-bodied, smooth and dry, a bit of alcohol warmth on the finish, but really not too bad at all for it's strength.

O- An absolutely incredible beer, much better than I was expecting. The barrel, funkiness, fruitiness and yeast all come together really, really well. I know it's not exactly going for a gueuze kind of thing, but this comes closer to gueuze and lambic in terms of complexity and flavor than any other American sour I've had, which is about the highest praise I think I can give it. I mean damn. (1,241 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%

I have been craving a "sour" all week and finally decided to crack this one open while watching the King and crew destroy the Pistons. Batch #2 poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours a golden straw yellow with very little clarity. Almost has a murky, mustard appearance. Solid two fingers width of white head forms, but literally dissipates within seconds of forming.

S- Nowhere near as complex as the taste. Hints of vinous, sour grapes a plenty mixed with oak and spices. The aroma just seemed too monotone to me. I wished it had a little more variance and character.

T- Wow! Flat out awesome! Talk about balance within a style of beer. From the get go, the beer gives the impression that this will be one sour beer. From the initial taste on the tip of the tongue and midway through, the beer seems to operate on two levels. At the forefront, there is a strong combination of sour grapes, lemon zest and spices. As the sourness builds, an undertone of oak and wood follow. Just before the beer reaches a mouth puckering intensity, the acidic flavors are counter balanced with the a bretty yeast for a perfect balanced flavor.

M- Light to medium bodied with some carbonation. Left a semi-dry feeling in the mouth.

D- The balanced flavor and delicious taste easily mask the 8% abv. I consumed a 750 mL bottle with ease.

Overall, huge thanks to Alex (BeerWorld) for my first in-person trade in which I acquired this excellent beer. Honestly this was one of the best beers I have ever had. Don't let the low marks for appearance fool you. This is a sour worthy of trying. (1,574 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a hazy golden straw with a silky beige head. Nice lacing and retention.

Nose has tart citrus, white wine grapes, manure, horse blanket and oak.

Taste has a sour fruit presence followed by barnyard funk, wood, white wine and sweet meady malts.

Crisp body is well carbonated. Dry acidic finish. Tasty sour from Captain Lawrence. (335 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +7.9%

Trained up from Manhattan early Saturday morn to score a few of the coveted 840 released bottles.

Captain Lawrence compares it to a champagne and they aren't lying. I popped the top and it nearly exploded, ejaculations of foamy whiteness coming from the bottle like I was celebrating New Year's. It pours fizzier than any beer I've ever seen before. On the label it is described thusly as a "...combination of Belgian style ale which has been re-fermented with hand picked Muscat grapes & aged in wine barrels. As the beer ages in the oak it undergoes a secondary fermentation using the wild yeast known as Brettanomyces."

Cuvee de Castleton smells very much like a champagne and tastes like it too. Upon my first small sip, I almost retracted my tongue, I was so surprised by the intense tartness as this is the first wild ale I've ever had before. Definitely the most non-beer-tasting beer I've ever had as well. Even more so than Sam Adams Utopias. This really has nothing that really grounds it to being a beer except for the slight Belgian Ale of it. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Very carbonated, some good bite. You smell and taste white grapes and some spice too. Lemons and green sour apples. You'd have a hard time convincing a lot of people that this is actually beer though.

The sourness nails you at first so don't give up on this beer after the first sip. It takes a while to figure out this brew's brilliance. Luckily I got 4 bottles, two of which I am making my first attempts at cellaring, which should actually make the beer even more sour Captain Lawrence claims.

Due to the tartness you have to drink it slowly, but that's a good thing as it helps you absorb it better. I don't think any one besides me will say this, but ask yourself if you like Sour Patch Kids before having this one. (Oh he's so irreverent say the beer snobs reading this!) The tartness is remarkable though, my mouth was puckered for at least an hour after having the bomber. Everyone around me must have thought I wanted to kiss them. Perhaps I did. The beer makes you giggly and high just like some champers. I don't completely buy that it's 6% either. I was kinda effed up after one solo-consumed bomber.

Cuvee de Castleton becomes more beer-like the more you drink it and the warmer it gets. The oak flavor starts to really come through in this insanely complex brew. I was confused at first by this beer as it's my first ever wild ale, but by the end I was loving this and glad I have so many more bottles.

I really don't think this is a beer that impatient neophytes will like and it would be hard to convince them otherwise. They should probably avoid it as I could see them doling out knee jerk F grades. And, considering I've drank one bottle and thus there are at maximum 839 left in the world, good chance these folks will never get to try this masterpiece.

Aaron
www.theviceblog.com (2,902 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +7.9%

Huge thanks to Knifestyles for this one!

Batch 3.

Clear golden color with small white head that was gone quickly, no lacing. Aroma is funktastic from the start. The first noticeable quality of the nose is the dirty leather, followed by some lemon/lime sourness, and lightly sweet. Yep, flavor on this is more sweet than it is tart, but there is certainly a nice, although not perfect, balance. The sweetness from the muscot grapes is in the forefront, giving this a nice sweet, tart, citric quality, plenty of lemon and funk in the middle, and the bright dry finish leaves me wanting me more. This is ridiculously tasty. Not as sour or tart many other wilds I've had, but it does just enough for me. The second pour produced a huge yeast haze and an added depth of funk and sour. Background flavors of cheesy funk start come through as it warms, but it still takes a backseat to the sweet/sour citric goodness. Mmmmm... Love it! The oak is well integrated, and this almost has a lactic chardonnay like taste to me. I love the acidic residue it leaves on my lips after each sip. Good stuff! Carbonation is just perfect. Not too spritzy, yet noticeable, and gives a nice prickly feeling on the tongue without being so abrasive as to wash away all the goodness. 8%? Really? I can't taste any alcohol in this thing at all. All in all this a tasty, well-balanced beer, and wish I had more.

Thanks again, Chris!! (1,410 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +7.9%

750 ml bottle acquired in a trade with radiorandy, thanks for giving me the chance to try this hard to find beer

Split with my girlfriend tonight at her family's annual Christmas party, evrybody seemed to like this one that tried it along with myself

Poured into an oddly shaped wine glass with a murky orangish yellow color and practically no head, very little retention, but some lacing towards the beginning, tiny bubbles that resemble a good champagne

Smell was fantastic and full of lemons, brett, sour fruits, tartness, cherries, lots of sugar, and some other citrus aromas

I would definitely call this one a sour, taste was very tarty and strong, tasted like a hard cider with a kick when it was cold, but when it warmed a little, the tart really took over and changed my mind about its flavor, lots of citrus and a nice spiciness on the back of the tongue, very very acidic, white grapes dominated the taste more than anything once the beer reached its proper temperature in the glass, hints of wine throughout from the barrels it was aged in, great sour and fruity taste overall

Tons of carbonation to go with a nice body, taste did not last as long as I had hoped for, good overall mouthfeel though

Saw that this was only six percent ABV on another site because it did not say here or on the bottle, making it even more drinkable than it already was, very light on the stomach, could have drank a few of these big bottles by myself no problem, scary how easy this goes down

My first Captain Lawrence beer and it was great, pretty sure this stuff is pretty hard to get, I know I had to trade away a lot of good things for it, worth every word of hype I have heard, highly recommended if you can track a bottle of this bad boy down (1,746 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Graduation Tasting: This was the fourth beer that we shared together. Courtesy of Dyan.

The appearance is really appealing to me. It pours an ultra hazy, lemon yellow. The beer sits still, with a small white ring of head at the top.

This smells magnificent. Very interesting floral notes mixes perfectly with sweet lemon. This beer smells like roses, and is very spritz and refreshing. Sweet orange scents hide behind the lemon. There is a really different funk element, as well as subtle musket grapes. Very unique, in that this beer smells sweet and dry.

The taste is outstanding, with very sweet lemon and horse blanket. This beer is a little spicy which has perplexed my taste buds. Fairly floral helps create a nice easy drink. Light cherry comes out in small amounts as the beer warms. Overall a very easy and smooth sour, one of my favorites on the day!

NOTE: Just had batch 3. Much better, more complex.

S: +.5, more pungent, super sour lemon with a really funky cheese scent.

T: +.5, very sour, horse blanket, tarter, nice cheese funkiness. (1,055 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%

Batch Number 1, Sampled July 2007
Topped by a large bubbled, pale, white froth, that starts out about a finger and a half in height, but disappears fairly quickly to a thin, not quite layer of froth. The beer is deeply hazy, despite having rested in my fridge for a month, and is an orange-tinged, straw color. The aroma is distinctively funky, with notes of uriatic acid, bitter mushrooms, musty-tea-infused damp leather and a distinct nutty note. The nutty note comes on towards the end and reminds me of a woody mix of almonds and Brazil nuts. An acidity / tartness reminiscent of a funky Sauvignon Blanc makes me wonder if this is contributed by the yeast or by the Muscat grapes. The nutty note, while distinct at times, is at other times overwhelmed by the Brett aromatics. I think that nuttiness may ultimately be some woody / spicy oak character coming through.

A prickly carbonation, which despite its bountiful presence, is probably at a medium level of carbonation. Somehow, despite being quite dry seeming, this beer has a medium fullness to it; the body of this brew somehow sticks to the mouth, yet never seems sweet, or even remotely cloying. Perhaps it is best described as being a light beer with a viscous quality to it that allows the beer to cling to the palate. Tart, with lots of green grape notes; slightly herbal, yet with hints of kiwi, a touch of lime (the mix is something like star-fruit actually), and some green apple notes as well. A backdrop of funky Brett character finishes the flavor profile of this beer off; musty cotton balls, moldy leather, and sharp, mushroom-like fungal character are among the Brett contributed notes. As my palate gets used to the first few sips, a soft, green-fruit sweetness becomes noticeable; this helps to accentuate the fruit notes previously mentioned as well as accenting some notes of apricot. Hints of oak character around the edges combine with some of the fruit notes to evoke thoughts of nutty apricot pits

The apricot notes and thus the sweetness become more noticeable as I work my way through this bottle; the sweetness never becomes overt though. The aroma also pick ups some dry, toasty grain notes that are reminiscent of biscuits & soda crackers.

The oak character in this beer is absolutely stunning; I don’t think I have ever had a beer that got the oak character so perfectly. It is not intrusive, nor is it even overtly noticeable, but it adds another layer of flavor to this beer that is an integral part of this complexly compelling brew. I also find it quite interesting how the grapes have added a sort of viscous quality to this brew without making it overtly sweet. A definitely interesting brew, in fact it is the best marriage of white grape and beer I have had yet. The best thing about this beer… I get to go pour myself another glass right now! (2,851 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 375ml bottle into two white wine glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist! Very extra special thanks to Ineedabeerhere for the hook-up!!!

Batch no. 3

A: Pours a near perfect, hazy apricot nectar color with a short lived, spritzy, bright white head. The only way to improve on this would be a little lace in the glass.

S: Aromas of soft orchard fruit, grape, vinegar, toasty malt, and Heather said fermented apples. Incredible.

T: Sour grapes, tart apples, unripened peaches, gently toasty malt, funky yeast, and sour lemon. Heather said she picked up a tiny hint of vanilla and/or honey.

M: Sour, tart, and puckery with a large whack of malt that adds a ton of balance.

D: What an amazing beer! Such incredible balance out of a "sour beer". Thanks again, Joe! (783 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A_Pours a bright straw bordering on yellow. I was expecting a gusher but it was not to be. The rather large head subsides quickly but easily replensihes itself via a nice stream of bubbles and a little agitation. Towards the end there are wisps of yeast sediment.

S_The aroma presents the nose with lemon, horse blanket, other mustiness, a bit of earth, some oak and grape. Not overly potent but a very nice smell. There is a nice sweetness to the smell that evens out the sour a bit.

T_Not quite as funky as the nose. The grapes are strong here with a contrasting background of sour in the form of white wine vinegar and a hitn of lemon rind. There is also a bit of vanilla and oak in there as well. As it warms I am getting some other spices which I cannot quite pinpoint and bit of vegetal hop bitterness. Despite all of these aspects it still isn't overly complex rather this is just a great tasting brew.

M_A bit creamy with a nice carbonation, almost like champagne but a bit less fluffy.

D_This is an outstanding beer. On par with some other wilds I have had, it manages to live up to the hype. All of the elements really seem to blend well together here.

I was thinking of trading one of the other two I have of this but now I am not so sure. I think this can convert some people over to the funk. It is mainstream enough to convert but funky enough to give true beer geeks a rise. (1,395 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +6.7%

This is the b4, courtesy of speedwayjim. It was recommended to me that I open this before trying the b5. Thanks Jim and Jonah for sending these bottles. Poured into a wide-mouth Grottenbier globe/chalice.

A - Yellow, like a mix between apple juice and chardonnay. Thick foam head quickly turns into lacing.

S - Sour apples, lemon/lime. A small amount of citrus.

T - Funky oak, lemon. A little bit of citrus comes through on the finish. As I drink more, there is almost a tart white grape flavor that takes over the citrus.

M - Light to medium body with a medium to high carbonation. Feels very good for the style and attributes to the feeling of crispness in each sip.

O - Very good. Almost everything is on point here for me. I will probably end up seeking out more. (774 characters)

Cuvee De Castleton from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.