Cuvee De Castleton - Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Cuvee De CastletonCuvee De Castleton

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Wild Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Billolick on 05-12-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cuvee De Castleton Alström Bros
sideshowe

12-06-2011 13:45:10 | More by sideshowe
BeerThursdays

Delaware

11-19-2011 17:28:35 | More by BeerThursdays
BeerTruth

Connecticut

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Picked up at the brewery last weekend during the release.

750 ml. bottle poured into a tulip glass. Batch 2.

Pours a murky gold hue with a loud fizzy carbonation that immediately dies down to a thin ring along the outside. No webbing what so ever to speak of. Smell is one you won't forget. Sour white grapes, lemongrass, sweet flowers, brett, and some bready characteristics. The oak is there, but somewhat subtle in the aroma. Very complex beer for the nostrils to enjoy. Tastes begins with sour apples, white grapes, and pears. The woody oak flavors emerge midway with a dry zesty lemon as well. The brett-y goodness is big on the tongue in the aftertaste with a musty pepper flavor and more lemony tartness to finish it off. Light fluffy body with a soft fresh feel. Carbonation is strong and stings the mouth. So much going on with this beer. I feel pretty fortunate to have the opportunity to try this one. Definitely looking forward to seeing what some age will do to this beauty. A truly unique beer that deserves the recognition. Keep up the good work Scott!

08-02-2008 01:39:14 | More by BeerTruth
KeefD

4.63/5  rDev +5.2%

Huge thanks to Knifestyles for this one!

Batch 3.

Clear golden color with small white head that was gone quickly, no lacing. Aroma is funktastic from the start. The first noticeable quality of the nose is the dirty leather, followed by some lemon/lime sourness, and lightly sweet. Yep, flavor on this is more sweet than it is tart, but there is certainly a nice, although not perfect, balance. The sweetness from the muscot grapes is in the forefront, giving this a nice sweet, tart, citric quality, plenty of lemon and funk in the middle, and the bright dry finish leaves me wanting me more. This is ridiculously tasty. Not as sour or tart many other wilds I've had, but it does just enough for me. The second pour produced a huge yeast haze and an added depth of funk and sour. Background flavors of cheesy funk start come through as it warms, but it still takes a backseat to the sweet/sour citric goodness. Mmmmm... Love it! The oak is well integrated, and this almost has a lactic chardonnay like taste to me. I love the acidic residue it leaves on my lips after each sip. Good stuff! Carbonation is just perfect. Not too spritzy, yet noticeable, and gives a nice prickly feeling on the tongue without being so abrasive as to wash away all the goodness. 8%? Really? I can't taste any alcohol in this thing at all. All in all this a tasty, well-balanced beer, and wish I had more.

Thanks again, Chris!!

11-17-2009 00:17:59 | More by KeefD
alpinebryant

Connecticut

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a bright straw yellow almost perfectly clear but for the strong bubbles trying to get to the top. Smell of strong horseblanket brett with some battery acidic smells, belgian malt and some spicey belgian golden ale aromas.

Taste of delicious golden ale spiked with a brett tonic of strong horseblanket twang and acid. All delicious to me , probably not to anybody who does not like wild ales. Tastes so refreshing out of the bottle at cold temperatures that it is tempting to just drink it all at once at whatever temperature it happened to be when you opened it. Fortunately, I was patient as this only comes around once a year and is hard to acquire at that. As it warms up, the grapes really become more prevalent, mixing with oak, and lightly caramelized sugars. The finish is dry and not unlike one that you would get from a good bottle of champagne, finishing with a nice little bitter twang on the end of your tongue.
If only this were released more often... Highly Recommended

10-15-2010 23:03:50 | More by alpinebryant
zrab11

Indiana

01-20-2014 21:26:30 | More by zrab11
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

4.1/5  rDev -6.8%

thanks to azurelimits for this via trade! Having tried one other captain lawrence brew I looked forward to this release and hoped to have a chance to try this beer.

A - the first beer I had from them was a gusher and this being recently released I was still cautious of a repeat gush. I was right. A loud pop, a second, a burst of beer gushed forth as I was quickly tilting the bottle towards my awaiting cup. The beer was a cloudy straw yellow with a burst of white foam overtaking the glass and ultimately settling down to a steady ring at the side of the glass.
S - sour acidic notes, citric notes, white grapes and a musty note.
T - similar to the nose but with additions of oak, lime, sweet tarts.
M - medium bodied, over carbonated fizzy notes with a tart finish
D - I liked this beer for almost the entire package. The overcarbonation detracted from the experience for me.

glad I tried this shortly after it's release. I'd be concerned about it becoming a big gusher at 6-12 months and worse if held longer than that. I like where this brewery is taking it's beers. I just wish they could get the carbonation under control. I'd recommend trying it while young. Any age on it and I'd prepare for a gusher!

08-04-2008 13:46:40 | More by barleywinebrewer
axeman9182

4.38/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

375 mL bottle from batch 5, poured into my Duvel tulip.

Cuvee de Castleton pours a golden yellow, with a good amount of clarity. Maybe a finger and a half of white foam caps the beer, before fading quickly and without leaving any lacing behind. The nose has lots of white wine-like acidity. There's also a distinct oakines present, and just a hint of brettanomyces funk. There's just a touch of fruitiness right on the front end of each sip. As with the nose, a vinous tartness fills the lion's share of the flavor profile. A tropical fruit like brett funk provides a nice bookend around the acidity, before a light oakiness fades in for the finish. The mouthfeel's a little slick. The combination of a slightly heavy body, and carbonation that's a little bit dull just misses the mark. Despite one or two technical flaws, Cuvee de Castleton still comes together stunningly well. Muscat grapes, oak barrel aging, and brettanomyces all come together to produce a great wild ale.

06-26-2012 05:26:50 | More by axeman9182
joepais

Maine

4.38/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks a bunch to little breeze for sending this treat along
I have been sitting on this batch two bottle for a while .I cracked it open last Thursday. Review from notes I just found. Bottle split three ways in tulip glasses. It produced a short lasting white head on a cloudy greenish yellow body.
The first thing that hit me was the wonderful Bret character in the aroma along with that comes some lemon and a slight note of sour apple. Nice feel in the mouth department comes off like champagne. The flavor is reminiscent of the nose. A nice tartness reminding me of lemons and sour apples were just some of the flavors I got.
This is an exceptional Wild ale reminded me of Gueuze in a lot of ways. The drinkability is right on for a sour. I will seek this one out again, by far my favorite Captain Lawrence

09-10-2009 01:07:17 | More by joepais
meatyard

4.3/5  rDev -2.3%

Batch 4. 375ml bottle. big thanks to onix1ager

Nice to see that it pours out with a fast falling but 1 to 2-finger white head. The color is a hazy but pretty, yellow orange and shows nice carbonation streams. At first pour the body is nearly clear.

The smell is acidic funk, oak and grapes. It would be very wine-like in many respects if not for the funk.

The taste is very acidic and tart, some oak with wine grapes and light citrus. Again, it would be more wine-like if not for the funk which seems to be at a lower level than in the aroma.

Mouthfeel is medium with moderate but nice carbonation and is dry.

Overall: Yeah, this is a fine beer. I wish I had more both to drink & age. This has it all going on, nice tartness, nice funk, oak, vinous quality and complexity. Can't really knock the head much on this either.

04-30-2011 21:06:57 | More by meatyard

06-08-2014 19:23:20 | More by scotv
kkipple

South Carolina

4.2/5  rDev -4.5%

I got this from good ole Deuane in an in person trade! Shared with some BA friends on an early October night. Batch #3.

A. Cuvee De Castleton is a hazy, unfiltered, apparently, dark yellow beer with a fast-fading white head.

S. Okay... uh... what have we here? This is a seriously complex nose, just tons going on... fruits, mainly peach, some pineapple? certainly lemon, white grape, sure, some white pepper, dry lemon rind, citrus, gosh... it goes on and on and on... certainly some funk and wildness, dry white wine... yeah, this is hard to pin down and extremely academic, enjoyable, and all around good.

T. Follows, lots of dry white wine, peachy, semi-sweet, spicy, earthy, some tire, champagne, peach again, no real hop, dry, wild, funky, lemon-citric, seriously interesting, challenging, to be sure, but I am digging it.

M. Carbonation falls out, leaves behind a smooth, dry, white wine-sorta flavor with peach and... spice? Huh. Fun to try and get your palate around.

D. Not really, this is something to share and comment on, and take your time with. A delightful brew, a complex brew, and one to enjoy in a late, do-nothing evening. I really liked this beer.

10-02-2009 03:10:28 | More by kkipple
alcstradamus

Washington

Batch 3

Pours a glowing golden color in my tulip with a quickly dying finger of head. Somewhat murky, effervescent carbonation

Nose is tart and funky tangerine, hints of sour peach, very clean and crisp.

Taste is not really sour, definitely more tart than anything. Honestly, not even as funky as I expected. Some very crisp fruits from apples to tangerines to grapes to banana. Band-aids at the very end of the finish. Slightly bitter in the aftertaste only. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, crisp stinging carbonation but luckily not too much of it. Finish isn't too dry, which is a positive for me. Drinkability is average to good...enough flavor to make me reach for more and tartness kept in check enough to not kill my palate. This is a very fine beer, no doubt about it. Only real negative was that it didn't improve after as it warmed. This one was best when it was first served. Started to get a bit of waxiness as it neared room temperature.

12-01-2009 03:25:55 | More by alcstradamus
drseamus

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

Review 500!! Hopefully Scott doesn't let me down. Batch 2. Huge thanks to bwyker for getting me a bottle at the release.

A: It started frothing as soon as I cracked the bottle but it wasn't a gusher. No beer was harmed during the pouring of my glass. A huge white head formed while pouring in the glass again with copious carbonation but it fell immediately leaving only a cloudy straw color beer with tons of visible carbonation.

S: Funk city baby!! Super tart aroma. It is very obvious there is Brett in there. I don't really get any grapes because the funk is so strong but there is the typical apple.

T: Super tart bite up front but quickly fades into a nice sweetness and a smooth sweet white wine flavor. The weird/impressive thing is how little aftertaste there is. Usually I find that Brett beers leave a super tart dusty aftertaste and the sweet grapes seem to eliminate that, creating a great package.

M: The lack of the tart aftertaste creates a interesting situation where I find myself drinking sips faster than usual trying to capture that early tartness and not linger on the sweetness. I consider that to be a great thing.

D: Nor'Easter is amazing, but this is the best beer that Captain Lawrence makes as far as I'm concerned. A great beer from every possible angle. Scott did not let me down.

12-18-2008 04:04:34 | More by drseamus
ArchEnemyBrew

Washington

4.25/5  rDev -3.4%

04-29-2014 18:42:25 | More by ArchEnemyBrew
sleazo

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A_Pours a bright straw bordering on yellow. I was expecting a gusher but it was not to be. The rather large head subsides quickly but easily replensihes itself via a nice stream of bubbles and a little agitation. Towards the end there are wisps of yeast sediment.

S_The aroma presents the nose with lemon, horse blanket, other mustiness, a bit of earth, some oak and grape. Not overly potent but a very nice smell. There is a nice sweetness to the smell that evens out the sour a bit.

T_Not quite as funky as the nose. The grapes are strong here with a contrasting background of sour in the form of white wine vinegar and a hitn of lemon rind. There is also a bit of vanilla and oak in there as well. As it warms I am getting some other spices which I cannot quite pinpoint and bit of vegetal hop bitterness. Despite all of these aspects it still isn't overly complex rather this is just a great tasting brew.

M_A bit creamy with a nice carbonation, almost like champagne but a bit less fluffy.

D_This is an outstanding beer. On par with some other wilds I have had, it manages to live up to the hype. All of the elements really seem to blend well together here.

I was thinking of trading one of the other two I have of this but now I am not so sure. I think this can convert some people over to the funk. It is mainstream enough to convert but funky enough to give true beer geeks a rise.

10-01-2008 01:46:01 | More by sleazo

06-10-2013 17:36:47 | More by TheRuss9585
scootny

4.63/5  rDev +5.2%

Batch 2

So this is the stuff. I have finally opened my bottle and all I can say is wow! A meeting of white wine and beer. What champagne would be if it had the guts. This is an indescribable wonderful beer that has its feet planted in two worlds quite comfortably.

Not much to look at as the fizzy head disappears quickly and leaves a slightly cloudy beer the color of apple juice.

The smell is dry white wine and light sweet malt.

Taste is eye opening. A sour graped front is backed up by an un-wine like grain based breadiness. There are apples as well along with a light fruit blend. All of them juicy and sour. A bit of oak to balance and enhance the superb blend here. The finish of this one is all beer. The malt core leaves the mouth with a cornucopia of grains to enjoy. This is what wine is missing for me. The sweet complex cereals and breads that come with a good beer. The malted goodness. You could give this one to wine lovers and watch them fall in love. As a beer advocate this one is a new love.

Feel is somewhat fizzy at first but batch 2 was to be opened at lager temps to avoid bottle overflow. As it warms the carbonation settles down and leaves a delightful experience.

So drinkable. Not since I had Rodenbach Red on tap have I had such an experience. Juicy and inviting this stuff.

09-09-2009 03:11:26 | More by scootny
Cuvee De Castleton from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.