Cuvee De Castleton - Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Cuvee De CastletonCuvee De Castleton

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Wild Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Billolick on 05-12-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cuvee De Castleton Alström Bros
brentk56

4.83/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy grapefruit juice color with a foamy Champagne head that noisily disappears and leaves no trace

Smell: Tart citrus aroma and horse blanket dominates, but underneath there is a beguiling sweet grape element from the Muscat

Taste: Although the sweet grape flavors make an initial impact, the tartness builds to a mouth-puckering level by mid-palate; after the swallow, the barnyard funk adds yet a third dimension; this beer has it all, from the sweet honey tones to the puckering citrus to the stone fruit to the yeasty spice

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation; makes you pucker, however

Drinkability: Just an extraordinary accomplishment; I cannot think of another beer that goes in so many dimensions

11-17-2009 01:46:00 | More by brentk56
Bmoyer0301

4.83/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance:

Tonight I am pulling out my favorite glass in the cabinet, my Dogfish Head goblet which I am finding out that I need to try and buy more of these since I'm always washing and using this one. As I pulled the short bottle out of the fridge I took a glance at the classy light blue and ornate writing which reminds me of a mini fine champagne bottle. As I pulled off the cap everything seemed to go picture perfect and a beautiful loud hiss came from the neck and the carbonation gasses lingered around the mouth's bottle. On the pour I decided to go slowly and give slight tilt to my glass trying to not create a overflowing head while not pouring out the yeast dregs on the bottom. When I was finished I was left with a slim half inch thick bone white head that hung around the whole time and had tiny champagne like bubble floating up from the bottom. This beauty is a deep golden hay like color that is absolutely clear with some lemon and golden apple undertones. Bright and sunny with no haze or yeast floating around this is just perfect and when I give a slight swirl the viscosity appears to be pretty light only leaving some little legs crawling down the glass walls.

Smell:

Right out of the gate, this has powerful citrus and lemon notes surrounded by slight sweetness and acidity. Very floral perfume like aromas are surrounding all of the fruit and acid which really balances this very nicely. Slight hay and barnyard funk is there as well, almost reminds me of my moms old musty basement but in a warming familiar way. In the finish, loads of white grapes and apricots tingle your nostrils and resemble a Pinot Grigio wine.

Taste:

This is an aggressive start to a sour beer! Very mouth puckering and full of acid but the grapes really are the major component here. Vinous and sweet-tart like with lots of citrus and wood and slight vanilla undertones. Funk beyond belief and almost hard to describe, its amazing what those brett bugs can do to a well crafted base beer. Green apples, and slight vinegar round out the middle and balance out some of the cloying sweetness. In the finish, almost a slight burn of the lemon like acid hits my throat and reminds me that I got a whole glass left of this delicious punishment to my esophagus.

Drinkability:

What can I say, this was a stellar beer and I am sad to see it go. This was big and bold yet so complex with lots of flavors going on that are stellar. As I drank this to the end my palate became a little shot from all the acid but it was worth every last drop. I only had a tiny sip of this last time at a tasting and was hoping another one would find its way to me again and thankfully it did. I would highly recommend this beer to any sour head out there and if you can find it or trade for it I'd say jump on the deal ASAP. Thanks again to Chris for hooking me up and I hope we can work out something again soon

02-20-2011 18:59:42 | More by Bmoyer0301

07-27-2012 13:47:21 | More by Trevdawg
Goldorak

Quebec (Canada)

4.75/5  rDev +8%

Finally got to try this highly hyped Beer, apparently it took quite some effort for my good friend to secure a bottle.

Appearance: Lemonade colored with just about no head, it turned a bit more orangey and opaque when I got a refill.

Smell: Lavander and litchi fruit, the kind you usually find in a nice dessert white wine - I've seen it in ice cider as well - but with a interesting horseblanket backdrop that is just enough to please lambic lovers without scaring off those who don't.

Taste: Fabulously intense acidity, almost lime-like with a bit of mandarine oranges. The carbonation levels and flavor reminds me of Federweisser, a partially fermented white wine served in the Franconian region. Lots of lemon rind twang that dries up the back of your tongue. Wine geeks would wet their panties over this one, it really didn't dissapoint.

11-20-2007 02:10:45 | More by Goldorak

Hefewiseman

06-28-2014 20:00:28 | More by Hefewiseman
hopdog

4.75/5  rDev +8%

750ml bottle acquired in trade with puzzl (thanks!). Batch 1.

Gusher alert. This one erupted all over my bar.

Poured a medium and hazy yellow color with a small sized head (after gushing, I expected this to pour all head). Aromas of wood, grapes, coconut sunscreen, pineapples, lemon pledge, earthy, and funky. Tastes of grapes, wood, pineapples, citrus, and funky. Nice medium pucker/tartness.

Notes from 8/15/07

Rado

02-16-2014 02:04:24 | More by Rado
opwog

04-27-2014 14:30:24 | More by opwog
Cuvee De Castleton from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.