Smoke From The Oak (Rum Barrel Aged) - Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Smoke From The Oak (Rum Barrel Aged)Smoke From The Oak (Rum Barrel Aged)

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Porter |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mcallister on 05-25-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoke From The Oak (Rum Barrel Aged) Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle on 12/10/09
Batch 2

A - Pours a pitch black with a 1/4 inch of tan foam that quickly disappears into a layer of fine bubbles

S - smokiness dominates, hints of the rum left, nothing too overpowering, just a nice blend of the flavors

T - Rum barrel dominate with a malty backbone, smoke is paired with the rum in the finish

M - a bit overcarbonated, but that that, very nice, smooth, tart in the middle

D - flavor hides the alcohol well, i wish i had more of this

mikereaser, Jan 08, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into two St. Bernardus goblets. Special thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

Batch 2

A: Pours a deep cola-brown/black. Topping this is a massive dark khaki colored head. That quickly fades to two fingers where it stays for quite a while. Very sticky lace was left behind.

S: Aromas of roasty malt, burnt/smoky barrel, and slightly tart fruit.

T: Roasted malt and campfire smoke with dark fruit, rum, dark chocolate, and tart orchard fruit.

M: Sweet booziness with some tart/tangy fruit, and dry/roasty malt & barrel. Tart and tangy.

D: We were expecting sweet rum to play more of a role here and were caught a little off guard by the tangyness of this. After we got past that we found this to be excellent!

GbVDave, Dec 06, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

Pretty sure I picked this up at Oaktree when it was around. A capped 750ml bottle - Batch 1. Poured into my standard shaker glass. Did not gush at all, just a slow rising snake of foam from the bottle that was easily caught with my glass. The porter appears a translucent deep chestnut color with about an inch of fluffy, fizzy tan head. The head leaves a minimal lace in its wake. Well, there is certainly brett and/or some type of wild yeast in here. Rum notes are more prevalent in the nose than the taste. Mildly funky, but more sour and tart vinegar - mostly apple cider vinegar, as well as notes of green apple, bitter cocoa, oaky tannins, light hints of smoke, barely noticeable. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Leaves the tongue tingling - like after eating some sea salt and malt vinegar chips. Quite unique.

ClockworkOrange, Sep 24, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

Batch 2

Pours a deep dark black that is all but completely opaque aside from very slight deep dark mahogany edges when held up to a light source. Two finger frothy dark beige head that slowly fades into a lasting ring and cap that leaves splotchy lacing in it's path.

Nice funky aroma with lots of oak and vanilla notes from the aging and a very prominent strong rum presence. Underneath there is a nice roasty maltiness with notes of chocolate, caramel, oatmeal, toffee and subtle hops. Very vinous and vinegary smelling as well.

Funky tart mouthfeel that is very vinous up front with a sweet alcohol rum flavor and thick roasty maltiness underneath. Heavily carbonated with a slightly creamy body and a puckering dry finish. Lots of warmth from the alcohol.

Lots of tart vinegary sour oak flavor up front that dominates throughout. Huge rum/spirit presence with a decent amount of alcohol heat. There is a bit of a vanilla characteristic from the oak aging but the flavor is dominated by the sweet alcohol/rum. Roasty maltiness underneath with hints of oatmeal, toffee, chocolate and bitter hops. Also hints of dark fruit notes; dark cherry, plum, raisin, etc. Sweet alcohol warmth in the dry finish.

This is a complex beer with a lot of unique flavors that are overshadowed by the strong vinegary oak rum presence. Probably my least favorite of the three Smoke from the Oaks.

corby112, Sep 03, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

Batch 2. I've enjoyed this brew a couple of times, and now it's time to review it.

A: Black with a three-finger thick dark brown head. The head's rather lively, bubbling and frothing rather angrily. Impressive lacework is left behind on my Duvel glass.

S: It smells like an early stage of infection, but it's still solid. Mild lactic notes come through, and the underlying porter comes through very well. There's a great roasted/burnt malt aroma, and the smoke works well with the rum. The rum sweetness is rather big and very appealing with a mild barrel character. Strangely, giving the beer time to breathe makes the initial sour note disappear, much to my joy

T: Awesome stuff. Opens up with a big, boozy rum character that's great. The rum sweetness cuts through the burnt malt backbone and the mild smokiness gives the beer a whole other flavor component. Finishes very dry with rum booziness and burnt malt. Again, there's a faint hint of a lactic character, thankfully, it's not intrusive.

M: This is where I wish this beer did better. The light body doesn't hold up to the rum character very well, and the overcarbonation initially hurts the palate (it stings!). Time again helps tame the carbonation down, and improves things. The finish, as noted, is an interesting combination of the base porter and the rum booziness

D: I'm totally digging this beer. I can't wait for the next batch, as well as the Apple Brandy and Port barrel versions!

Notes: I do think time hasn't helped this beer very much. Early on, it was the best CL beer I'd had (worthy of a 4.5), now, it's second to Castleton.

DefenCorps, Jul 09, 2009

Have done the trio, thanks to Dmeadows. This bomber pours black,and an aroma of malt, a bit of smoke. Smooth integration of the rum and the porter. A bit sour at the last sixth of the bottle, very much so in last 5% if you are so inclined. Masterful.Good mouthfeel, very drinkable.

Sammy, Jun 07, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -8.4%

Thanks go out to Kempleton for his bottle
I almost didn't post a review, the bottle foamed a little when opening but the aroma of Brett was strong. I didn't know if it was infected on purpose or not? It was from batch 2

The tulip looked glass was filled with two fingers worth of tan head on a black body. Again the Brett was strong I got a little rum and one other person got some smoke as it warmed.

A funky porter for sure with a splash of rum was how it tasted to me the body was medium with good carbonation for a porter.

I'll give it an average score on the drinkability only because I don't know if the infection was on purpose. I may change it later

joepais, Apr 03, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

Bottle into snifter.

Pours a pitch-dark brown, slightly translucent around the edges, with no head to speak of.

Aroma is vanilla and oak, sweet brown sugar, bit of boozy rum - big and delicious, and a bit more complex than some bourbon-heavy barrel-aged aromas.

Taste is sweet and roasty up front, roasted malt pairing with a sweet molasses note, hint of licorice or star anise, underlying smoke helps to balance the sweetness. Bit of alcohol emerges towards the finish, with vanilla, smoke and charred wood, rum, bit more licorice.

Mouthfeel is pretty much still, almost no carbonation, with a medium body. Could have used just a hint of carbonation.

Really nice beer, but the aroma certainly writes a check the taste has a bit of difficulty cashing. Add just a hint of soft carbonation to lift the flavor up and the beer jumps up significantly in my book.

JohnQVegas, Mar 15, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

Opted to try this due to the EBF. Served from a 750ml bottle.

Pours a deep, dark, opaque brown. Light is unable to penetrate the dense liquid. Head is minimal, mainly some hard-pour induced tan bubbles clinging to the edges. No lace to speak of whatsoever. Rum is the distinct component of the aroma, hitting the nostrils right off the bat. The bier itself is rather smooth, but a touch on the thinner side of medium.

Flavor leans to sweetness at the start, with a bit of dark fruit and even some intimations of chocolate. I find the smoke to be extremely subtle here (though Alewife took one small sip and noticed it right off). I'm not really finding this too Porterish at all. It's hitting me more like a Strong Belgian Dark Ale, honestly. Has some vinous qualities as well, with a smidge of spiciness mixing in with the rummy aspects. Overall? Not bad; not bad at all, but a bit of a letdown, after all the raving I had heard about Capt Lawrence biers.

Prosit!!!

3.5
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | drink: 3.5

Bierman9, Mar 14, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours a dark woody brown with a lacy tan head. The nose has roasty malts, smoke, oak, rum, , coffee, cocao, spices and some subtle funk. The taste is a nice balance of sweet boozy rum, rich smokey malts, wood, chocolate, and dark fruits. Not much, if any funk in the taste. The body is a bit thin for the style, but still drinks quite well.

rye726, Feb 26, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +11.1%

This is batch #2.
When I opened the bottle I had to pour it out quickly because it was ready to come out the top. I'm excited to taste this too because I love rum.

A- The beer is a very dark dark brown. The head is frothy and light. I wonder how that will be for the mouth feel.

S- Rum can be smelled for sure. Too bad it wasn't a spiced rum, that would be tasty! The coffee from the porter is very prevalent too. But the rum, it is very much there even from a distance.

T- This is tasty. I didn't get the smoke in the smell, but it is there in the taste and it is great. It is a great underlying booster to the rum taste. I'm getting a nice hint of vanilla as well as the tasty rum. The more I drink this the more the coffee and chocolate start to come to the fore front. As a lingering after taste the rum is there with the smoke. Reminds me of a mild cigar smoking in the back ground while you sip on a nice tasty rum on a fantastic sandy beach in the Caribbean. I heard that batch 1 had Brett, and I can see how that would be tasty in this beer.

M- The mouth feel is a bit overly carbonated, yet not thin. It would be nice if it was a bit thicker.

D- Very drinkable and I almost just want to sip it.

Wetpaperbag, Feb 11, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -23.7%

Bottle, batch 2. Pours black with no real head. Aroma of sweet rum, alcohol, and a roasted malt background. Flavor of rum and slight roast, but for what it is, it's somewhat mellow and drinkable. Overall it was ok but quite dominated by the rum with hardly any of the background porter coming through. Kinda bland but not much complexity. I just wasn't into this.
6/3/6/3/13 (3.1/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Jan 24, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured a deep brown hue with a one finger foamy off white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured an upfront sweet rum with an astringent alcohol aroma. Burnt grain and coffee detected as well.

The taste consisted of a vinous alcohol element with the accompanying porter flavors.

The mouthfeel was a bit thin for the style.

Overall an interesting concept and a tasty brew.

plaid75, Jan 13, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 1 acquired in a trade at the beginning of 2008 and stored at 55 degrees. I don't know why I waited so long to open this, and I'm even more uncertain why I decided to open it tonight.

Expecting a gusher I open the beer over the sink. I'm glad I did as it gushes, but I lose only a small amount of the liquid. The beer is black with a frothy, light brown 2 finger head. The retention is good and the scattered lacing is all over my glass.

I'm immediately greeted with the aroma of rum and sweet roasted malt. Dark fruits are evident, with some cherry and plum.

Now, the flavor is interesting. At first the beer is sweet roasted malt. It's fruity and delicious. A smokiness comes through. The rum is outstanding. I want to give this an A+...but after a few sips a slightly odd flavor becomes evident near the end. Metallic? It tastes slightly off in the finish. The first half of the taste is outstanding, but the beer doesn't quite come together at the end. I don't know if the marriage of Rum and smoked porter just doesn't finish neatly or if this is just the way the beer was intended to taste.

The mouthfeel is really good. It's a champagne-like porter! Light and bubbly. It looks full bodied but it's light-medium bodied on the palate. Carbonation is great.

My roomate, Pat, simply says, "This is fucking delicious," as he watches the Lakers beat the Trailblazers.

HopHead84, Jan 05, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -2.6%

The last of the three that I was finally able to track down and try. Having been a huge fan of the other two, needless to say I was waiting for this one to come around. Served cold, to avoid a gusher as I have had these bottles before and poured into an oversized wine glass, this one was consumed on 12/28/2008.

I was right to chill this one down as soon as I poured it into the glass, it immediately filled the entire container with brown foam, ugh. I let it settle down, and subsequent pours went by much better I have to admit. Dark brown, nearly black and completely opaque, this thing was a monster.

GThe aroma was a bit of a let down for me. Light notes of chocolate with barely any bourbon coming through on this one. Still decent, though I was expecting more. As it warmed some more pronouced cocoa and oakey aroma came off of it, but still, not overly strong. The flavor was all over the place. Way overcarbonated, and this really distracted from the overall flavor, making it feel thinner then it was. Chocolate and dark fruit notes were the biggest players here, with the rum way at the back and adding only a subtle spice quality to it. Easy to drink as it felt much lighter then it was and most, if not all the alcohol was well hidden,

Overall a solid beer, though I wish it was a bit less carbonated and spent a little more time in the barrel, my least favorite of the three by a long shot.

mikesgroove, Dec 29, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

Batch 2

Thought I'd try this sooner-than-later after tasting the extremely sour bourbon barrel version yesterday.

This beer was a joy to drink and what I was expecting.

A: jet black, too dark for a porter, head was full and light brown
S: very good nose - rum attributes are definitely noticeable
T: nice roasted quality, very different with rum taste - smokiness was there but not that pronounced, nice balance
M: great mouthfeel
D: I would definitely trade for another bottle

wisrarebeer, Dec 28, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Batch #2. Dark brown bordering on black with deep garnet accents. A big, bubbly creamy light tan head. Quite carbonated overall, but the bottle was not a gusher. Aromas of roasty malt with puffs of cocoa. Smoky accents collide with a rich rum aroma. Oak, residual sugar and some dark fruits in the background.

First sip brings a dark roasted, toasty malt upfront with cocoa and smoke. Rum flavors meld in really nicely with some added spiciness. Flows down on the dry side with woody oak accents and hints of fruit. I really like how the rum plays into the smoked porter here, really original and tasty.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with lots of bubbles that expand in the mouth with each sip. Overall very tasty and a good bottle to share with a friend or two. I like how the rum accented the beer and wouldn't mind seeing more brews aged in rum barrels in the future! Thanks to dmeadows for this one.

orbitalr0x, Nov 28, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +26.3%

Received this brew quite awhile ago from scthaden in a trade. This will officially be my first Captain Lawrence brew and I can't wait. Drank from my Surly Darkness snifter.

Batch #1, Bottled July '07. Read the bottling notes and it said this could be gusher. I opened it VERY cold and it opened perfectly. Lost zero beer but it's slowly bubbling up the neck of the bottle.

Appearance- Pours dark as night with a nice ULTRA fluffy murky white head that never recedes. The giant cap and collar leave the fluffiest lacing than I've ever seen left on a beer glass. It's like plaster stuck to the inside of my glass. Amazingly beautiful beer.
Smell- Ha! Totally weird, unexpected nose. This thing has soured, drastically. While cold it's full of cider vinegar and a very light funk (horse blanket). Golden delicious apples and tart cherries ooze out of the glass. And that's it. No rich chocolaty malt, no smoke, no rum. Smells more like Red Poppy than Alaskan Smoked Porter.
Taste- Don't know where to start. This is crazier than the nose. Starts with a soft smokiness that is lightly chocolaty with burnt charcoal and tobacco. It's amazing how the nose is so sour yet there is just a tinge of sour. A light apple cider vinegar kick lends a bit of acidity that's gone as quick as it came. Caramel and bitter bakers chocolate finish with the kick of rum (finally!) and a lingering Tootsie Roll flavor. As it warms a hair, some light fig and raisin hop in the mix a long with a bit of wood and vanilla. No idea what the ABV of this thing is but 0% is detectable and the only thing resembling alcohol is the rum.
Mouthfeel- Kind of a lighter bodied beer but I think that may have something to do with the extremely crisp carbonation. The bubbles are VERY fine though and really nice.
Drinkability- This is the most complicated and sophisticated beer I've ever tried. If someone would have told me that they were going to brew a Smoked Porter that had slightly soured, I would have laughed (still tried it, but laughed). Wonderful beer that I thoroughly enjoyed. I wish that I had another bottle to age for another couple years and see how sour this thing can get. Huge thanks again to Shannon!

younger35, Nov 12, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -6.6%

750ml bottle shared courtesy of egajdzis. Batch 1.

Poured a dark, dark brown (almost black) color with an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of lighter rum, oaky/woody, roast, coconuts, roast, vanilla, and chocolate. Tastes of stronger rum, vanilla, woodiness, roast, dark fruits, and caramel. On the sweeter side. I would lick my lips afterwards and taste the rum. Thinner body. I gotta give props to CL for doing these series, I've enjoyed seeing what the different barrels are doing to the porter!.

hopdog, Nov 10, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +10%

Batch 2 bottle courtesy of a couple of very generous traders poured into a snifter.

Pours dark brown out of the bottle settling in as an almost completely opaque black in the glass. The head is tan and massive, and lingers as an inch-thick cap throughout leaving decent lacing.

The aroma starts out as a dominant rum but get a little more complex as it warms, opening up to the more traditional porter aromas of dark chocolate, roasted malts and a hint of smoke.

The taste also has an initial kick of rum and maybe a hint of sourness before the roasted malt base comes through. There is chocolate and coffee as well, before the smoke and rum come back for the finish.

The mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy but actually is a bit dry in the finish with some bitterness lingering.

This is a very interesting brew and my first rum-aged beer. To be honest, I enjoyed this one quite a bit more than the wine version. Recommended.

gford217, Nov 04, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

Finally get a few minutes to myself to enjoy this one. Missed the release but thank god the hype machine did not sell this one out right away. Purchased at the brewery the week after the release.

Pours wonderfully dark as the porter always does, yet when pouring it at a moderate drizzle, the head does not rise a bit like the porter does. Barely able to get the head over an 1/8 inch - but this one looks good.

Aroma is dominated by the rum but it is not too strong and yields a bit to the sweetness and smoke of the porter. Taste is the same - a bit of roasty smoke and then right to the rum - yet no big wallop of alcohol and just a wonderful marriage of flavors.

This one lacks a bit of carbonation as compared to most brews yet the hit of the rum on the tongue sorta takes the place of the carbonation rolling over the tongue - as does a bit of drying bitterness and oak on the finish as this warms.

Quite a nice brew for sure and one of the better ones from the Captain. The scary thing here is that I could drink way too much of this...

gpcollen1, Oct 19, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +10%

Had been saving this for a while, but finally found the right opportunity to crack it open, at a BA gathering in Portland at Bailey's.

The beer pours the expected brownish black color with very good head retention and lacing. However, the aroma on this bad boy is the best part of the beer IMO, as one really gets the aroma of fine rum interwoven around coffee, chocolate and vanilla. Quite a lot of vanilla in fact. The flavors on the palate replicate the nose, with even more vanilla. There is a real rum flavor kick on the finish that is also very nice, and helps to offset some of the sweetness a tad. This beer is very smooth and long, showing off the barrel aging quite well. Drinkability is pretty good, but you can tell the booze is up there a bit.

A very good beer I must say, and I can now understand the hype surrounding it. This was a real treat to sample with friends the other night. Thanks for picking up a bottle for me Dyan!

John_M, Oct 12, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Very nice, deep dark color with a great, creamy tan head on top. Nice aroma. Mildly smokey with a faint alcohol/woody scent to it. I really seemed to smell rum as I poured this but dont get it directly now. Deep roasted flavor dominates with a big smoke flavor and a mellow taste of "spirits" that doesnt necessarily say rum or any other hard liquor. Sort of boozey taste in general. Mouthfeel is ok though I find it a bit grainy and astringent. Quite a dry finish. Definately a decent beer and quite drinkable.

lackenhauser, Oct 12, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -3.2%

Batch No. 2:

Pours pitch black with a thin tan head that gives it an "espresso" look. Some films of lacing temporarily stick to the glass.

The smell is of rum (spiced?) with vanilla. A scent of the Caribbean comes to mind (coconut suntan lotion?) It's not all rum - there are vinuous notes and an underlying smoked porter characteristics, including some dark fruitiness.

The taste is of rum and vanilla - This one is sweet. There is a punch-like fruitiness with a dark fruitiness underneath - an odd combination that works in an "interesting" way. There are some vinuous notes, as well. Underneath, there is a nicely done smoked porter (that I wouldn't mind if it came out to play a bit more). Some alcohol shows. It has a dry-ish finish despite sweetness.

It has a silky medium body.

A "different" sipper. The rum and vanilla from the oak are certainly noticeable - so this is highly dependent on one's personal view of rum, though the smoked porter aspect is not lost. Personally, I much prefered the bourbon barrel. I might choose this over the wine barrel, but probably not, and would depend on my mood, I suppose. Bottom line - I'll put this in the "interesting" category.

jwc215, Oct 09, 2008
3.03/5  rDev -20.3%

Cap. Lawrence- Smoke from the Oak (Rum)

I forgot who sent this to me, I apologize! Once I figure it out I'll edit the review!

A- Deep reddish black with a flat appearance and a small foamy head. No lacing.
S- Very sweet rum aroma, a touch of charcoal, and the mildest of cocoa.
T- Again sweet charcoal rum flavor hits you. Light chocolate cocoa powder body with a dash of vanilla extract.
M- Very sweet with a mild body and an even sweeter slight alc. touched finish.

Overall- Bland. A weak, smooth, rum with a touch of cocoa. Thats all I'm getting!? I was expecting much more.

NJpadreFan, Sep 22, 2008
Smoke From The Oak (Rum Barrel Aged) from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.