Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Golden Delicious - Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Golden DeliciousGolden Delicious

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Tripel |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: mcallister on 02-01-2008

Triple Aged In Apple Brandy Barrels
2.52/5  rDev -36%

(750ml bottle-2010 batch courtesy of alpinebryant). Pours cloud yellow with white head. Nice carbonation. Aroma is medicinal, some green apple and booze. Apple pie? Not even close. Taste is sweet and yeasty, but alcohol just overpowers the beer. Medium bodied with boozy finish. It's quite hot. Damn it!!! I had wanted to try this beer for a long time and finally got some. This is disappointing. I have an '09 as well and it will be interesting to see how that aged. This is a beer that probably should be blended: extra gold with portion of extra gold barrel aged.

2.59/5  rDev -34.3%

750ml bottle, served in a snifter.

A - slightly hazed, golden yellow color with a fluffy white head that fell to a layer, leaving some small spots of lacing. Tiny bubbles of carbonation rose from the bottom of the glass the entire time it took to drink it(about 45 mins). After admiring the look of this brew it pretty much went downhill for me.

S - smell's something like Applejack Brandy, strong alcohol aroma.

T - a bit hot, flavor is pretty much all alcohol with some sour apple dryness.

M - light bodied with mild carbonation feel.

D - I really didn't enjoy this too much.

Final Note: I was very disappointed with this beer after hearing/reading the hype about it.

2.66/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I did get this bottle at the brewery. Either this is just a sub-par beer, or the bottle they sold me was past its prime. With no printed bottle date, it's hard to tell.

Poured a slightly hazy golden color, with a small white head that fizzled out pretty quickly; minimal to no lacing. Aroma was woody, toasted grains, pale malts, vaguely floral with a hint of peppery spice. Taste was pretty bland and uninteresting, woody like the aroma, fusel, boozy, floral notes, fruity esters and stale cinnamon sticks, but really nothing "apple" coming out in any significant way. Mouthfeel was pretty dry and on the metallic side, light-medium body, and moderate carbonation. Not a very good drinker, and a taster was more than enough of this one.

Bad bottle or bad beer? I don't know, but I'd like to try it again to be sure.

2.69/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A bottle that has been on my wants since it came out sent to me by Mdfb79.

A- I noticed how full this bottle was. As I pried the cap I thought to myself "A lot of these CL beers are slow gushers. If this one is like them I wont have much time to pour". So I got my glass ready and sure enough, it started gushing very so slowly. No beer was lost, it did fill quite a pretty glass though. The head is very fluffy and rumbling forth, it achieves a height of 2 fingers. Lacing is prompt as the foam retreats. The beer is a very cloudy, pale orange. Its quite nice.

S- Very sweet on the nose. I can get barrels right off the bat. At this early juncture, as the beer warms, one wouldnt identify them as brandy barrels but oak would certainly be mentioned. By now we all know oak's calling card. Vanilla, its there, with toffee and lots of butter. This is certainly a hoppier beer, Im assuming that the base beer is Xtra Gold. Unfortunately I feel that hoppy notes clash with barrel notes, and this beer is further evidence of that. They come together and make a hairspray/body spray kind of smell. I may be able to pick out apples, but they certainly arent apple pie notes. If anything its more like tart, fresh, green apples.

T- I have to start this portion of the review with a complaint about the booziness. It totally wrecks the flavor. Its like Scott spiked my drink with brandy, only I wouldnt have known it was brandy if he hadnt told me (He's never been very good at date rape). Everything starts out pretty nice. There is a smooth, fruity sweetness. A spike of hoppiness ushers in a tongue bashing. The flavors are nice but they are overshadowed and chased out by a strong flavored liquor element.

M- The feel is pretty nice, but again, booze is fuckin up my Christmas. Carbonation is on the higher side, but hey, this is Captain Lawrence we're talkin here, you just learn to accept it as law.

D- Man, I need some help here. This is a very interesting idea. I wanted to love it. Hell, I loved it before I actually had a bottle, but it needs some tweaking.

2.79/5  rDev -29.2%

A - Murky light amber; like 3:1 mix of apple cider to water.

S - Alcohol hits the back of your nose instantly, and mellows into cinnamon, apple, and bourbon, with a backdrop of orange zest

T - Alcohol was right up front in your mouth, almost harshly so. After the sharp burst, the taste rolls into peppery Scotch. The aftertaste was my highlight of the beer; oak, smoke, cinnamon and tart peach come to mind as the Scotch balances itself out.

M - Another reviewer described the "tingle" of the mouthfeel, and it's dead on; lots of that going on as the alcohol evaporates off your palate. Otherwise the feel is light, with a mild carbonation.

D - The strong alcohol taste makes you think twice before your second sip. But, fortunately, all that alcohol taste comes with alcohol, and after a few more sips the beer becomes easier to drink. That said, the strong flavors linger with you, and half of a 750ml bottle was more than enough for my liking.

2.83/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours amber with a huge white head. A funnel of bubbles rises up the middle. As I drink, the lace scarcely disspates off the sides of the glass. Smells of apple, brandy and caramel. The apple begins to give way to quince after a few smells, blending with pear.

Taking a sip, my first thought is a tripel mixed with apple pucker and brandy. A little bit better than I make it sound, though the caramel flavor on the end isn't a nice finish in my book. This delivers exactly what the nose announces, no surprises. As it warms, the apple flavor overtakes the more mellow quince and really does impersonate a golden delicious perfectly. Way too boozy though, not in the sense of being too alcoholic, but for taking on the qualities of its aging vessel to the detriment of the beer's own flavors. Heavily carbonated as I'd anticipate from the style, but its locked in a battle with the syrupy body. Gets even tougher to drink as it goes. I appreciate the creative effort, but not something I'm enjoying a great deal.

2.89/5  rDev -26.6%

Almost from the time I opened this bottle, I knew I was not going to find it that appealing. So true,the bouquet to me was masked with aot of malt. It was hard to distinguish other attributes.

The taste was someone un-easy. Almost like an apple that just isnt right.

This type is just not my type of beer. I generally love anything that they make there.

2.91/5  rDev -26.1%

750ml bottle, courtesy of mikesgroove (thanks Mike!), into a chalice.

A - Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow. Not much head to speak of at all, maybe just a thin ring, with no retention or lacing to speak of (obviously). Even at almost room temperature there's not much of anything.

S - Bright, fresh apples right off the bat, followed by bready yeast and dried apricots. The brandy comes in late to finish things off, but it's not too forward. The smell is mouth-watering and inviting to say the least.

T - Whoa; the brandy is much stronger than I would've expected from the nose, while the apples are much further in the background. It's a little strange, since it's apple brandy, but they seem to break apart, and the two aren't really integrating together very well with the other elements of the base tripel. The flavors seem to be fighting each other. The booziness also gets in the way and complicates things. Disappointing after the great smells coming from the glass.

M - Medium bodied, slightly sticky, but with nice, effervescent carbonation.

O - Overall while it's not a bad smelling beer, it's not something I would spend the money on again. I was really looking forward to it, since I love apple brandy and tripels, but this one just doesn't work for me. If you factor in the price (I don't), it just gets worse.

2014 bottle. Pour is a light golden amber with a faint haze and a small amount of white head. Nose has a lot of the apple brandy, gets a bit boozy and woody, some lemon, and a hint of pineapple. Taste follows, overly brandy barrel, fairly acidic finish, medium body and moderate carb. Brett comes in fairly strong in back, pineapple, hay.

3.08/5  rDev -21.8%

Had this one a couple times over DL weekend and still can't figure this one out. Looks fine in the glass, but after that...

I just couldn't quite put my finger on this one. Plenty of sour apple in the taste. Lots of fruity spice and alcohol coming through as well. An alcohol infused sour apple jolly rancher. Got very cloying, and there is no way I could drink an entire bottle by myself.

3.09/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Date: 10/15/2010
Type: 750ml. Bottle
Vintage: 2010
Glassware: DFH Tulip

Poured a cloudy light orange in color w/ a skim coat white head that left nice lacing. Nose was of light citrus, vanilla, oak, light apple brandy, and fresh cut PVC. Taste was where this brew went downhill. Sour apple flavor followed by lots of booze and brandy, finishing w/ strong herbal hops. Mouthfeel was boozy and dry. The drinkability was not good at all for me, way too hot and boozy, it goes right to the head.

Did not enjoy this one at all! This brew is a boozy hot mess. Hopefully age might help this one, but I doubt it.

3.13/5  rDev -20.6%

Thanks, Ineedabeerhere.

My review doesn't necessarily indicate how interesting/unique it was to try this beer.

Pours a slightly hazy ... wait for it ... keep waiting ... GOLD! Shocking, I know.

Smells like candied apples with a bit of spice and alcohol. Okay. Kind of interesting. I'm not really getting much of a brandy aroma (wasn't this aged in apple brandy barrels?) but the apples are definitely there. Unfortunately, they're more like mulled apple cider notes, rather than being sharp, biting, and distinct.

Taste is too spicy. Why ... why did they do this? Mulled apple cider again comes to mind. Too much booze, also. There's some sweet notes, people mention oak but I get none, and a kind of weird mineralized spiciness that leaves a pungent aftertaste.

An interesting beer. Not very drinkable at all. Too much seasoning. Mouthfeel was decnt.

3.14/5  rDev -20.3%

Large capped bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.
I got two of this, one from scootny and one from yobdoog (my thanks to both), one for now and one to cellar since I had high hopes.

It is a golden brew with some white head, but that disappears quite quickly, and after just 10 minutes, it looks like a whisky glass, golden, no head and no lacing.
Aroma is quite nice, with apple, sweet malt, oak and whisky notes. Medium bodied, the taste is almost all brandy, overly alcoholic and almost abrasive. If you leave it in your glass for almost an hour like I did, since I did not enjoy a bit the first few sips, it loses some of that abrasiveness, but still tastes a lot more like whisky than beer.
The second one will be aged two or more years, because this first one was very disappointing.

3.15/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours a clouded golden with hints of green with a centimeter of white head, fair retention and lace. Aroma has much Belgian yeast spiciness, fruity esters, apple, and some buttery heat to it. No evidence of barrel aging in the nose that I can detect, mostly a very spicy tripel. The flavor is dominated by spicy Belgian yeast, cloves, peppery bitterness then mild apple and cookie sweetness on the finish. Body is medium, maybe on the lighter side due to the vibrant amount of fizzy carbonation. This is an okay tripel, apparently aged in apple brandy barrels, which seems to have no or a negative effect on the flavor profile.

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%

I had the first batch of this...and it was equally as boozy as this batch. I'm assuming it probably needs a minimum of 2 years to really meld together...

served 11.5 oz in a kasteel glass
a - pours a golden with a slight orange color

s - boozy with hints of estery profiles of the beer and the apple brandy

t - when it's cold the main thing dominating is the boozy apple brandy barrels; it's mostly the booze and bits of the . as it warms up hints of vanilla, pear (among other) esters, and a hint of maltiness pull through to provide a good profile of the tripel. though the booziness tends to still dominate the front end, you get a slight sense of the apple in the finish

m - medium body and sweet on the front, but it finishes dry with that hint of

d - the boozy nature of the beer diminishes the drinkability of the beer. I'd really like to try it a year from now to see how a more balanced beer would taste like. Nevertheless it's a terrific example of the beer.

3.33/5  rDev -15.5%

Another new one from a brewery I haven't tried nearly enough of. Courtesy of Msquared2, thank you!!

Appearance. Pours a hazy yellow gold with almost two fingers of frothy white head.

Smell. Sweet apples and a little spice, some fruity belgian yeast and light grains.

Taste. Fruity belgian yeast and golden apples, imagine that! A little light grainy malt and some fusel alcohol.

Mouthfeel. Medium+ body with medium+ carbonation. A little astringent alcohol, but not all that hot considering the high abv.

Overall. The apple flavours go great with the style, but the alcohol taste wasn't very welcome. Glad to try it.

3.35/5  rDev -15%

big thanks to hopstoopid120 for the trade

pours cloudy golden yellow with a 1/4 finger head that left some spotted lacing

smells is not very strong some apples some wood notes some booze

taste - wow very strong - apple brandy hell yes - tart & sweet apple booze - not many other flavors very dry brew

mouthfeel is light to medium low carbonation almost flat - boring much like a wine

drinkability is so so - the mouthfeel killed this beer

3.38/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I tried this brew on tap at the Good Life. The beer preented a somewhat cloudy pear green color with a white creamy head. The nose was floral with green apple and hops. The taste was tart and crisp with a subtle taste of ranny smith apples. Not too sweet and very well balanced. The mouthfeel was thin yet crisp and not nearly boozy for the lofty 10% ABV listed. Overall this is a nice brew an very drinkable for such a high ABV. Not a bad choice for a summer or pringtime refreshing brew. The beer world's version of the apple martini. Enjoy!!!

3.38/5  rDev -14.2%

Despite the hype and hyperbole over this ale, I pressed on to find this at my local beverage store on the day of its release. It looked interesting with resemblance to a natural pressing of apple cider mixed with ale. The aroma was nearly overpowering with the apple brandy and the slight elements of tripel playing second fiddle. In my chalice, the creamy head looked very pleasing a I went for the first taste only to find one of the stranger ales I have encountered recently.

While I understand that Brandy barrels were used to condition the ale, this was a unique one and not something I would drink every weekend. I was mildly grateful that exposure to air calmed the ale down after 1 hour. The others I shared this with thought better of it than I , and remarked that it might be a good with turkey heros on Super Bowl Sunday.

3.38/5  rDev -14.2%

Smells quite characteristically of apples as I am pouring this brew. It is well carbonated, even foaming a bit as soon as I pop the cap. The head is quite frothy, fairly large bubbled, initially three-fingers thick, but disappears fairly quickly and is a pale, off-white color. The beer is a deep copper color and shows a brilliantly clear, rich gold / polished copper color when held up to the light. A deeper inspection of the aroma yields a mix of flower-like cider and buttery oak aromatics. The buttery oak notes are quite noticeable and almost seem a bit like diacetyl. The aroma has a fleeting spiciness to it at times that seems to be a mix of apple nose, oak and fermentation character and makes me think of a rich, buttery, cinnamon apple desert. The aroma is not nearly as complex as I was expecting though; the Tripel character seems to have been lost somewhere along the way.

Lightly sweet up front, which accents some soft apple flavors. The body is quite thin for a beer of this strength, though some tannins seem to give this a touch of texture towards the finish. Light hop flavors are also noticeable up front (an herbal citrus mix) before the oak character kicks in and provides a mix of spicy oak note, buttery-oak notes and a bit of warming alcohol. The barrel character is not as overwhelming as one might expect, especially since it does seem to be the most notable part of this beer. The beer does start out quite smooth with flavors of the Tripel and apples, but then becomes sharper and more biting as the brandy and oak flavors kick in through to the finish. Toasty oak notes mix in with the apple and Tripel flavors up front, especially as the beer warms a bit.

Allowing this to warm up from the initial 50°F / 10°C temperature helps to soften the barrel character just a bit; though really it seems to bring out a bit more complexity up front, but the hot alcohol and sharp barrel notes still seem to overwhelm the finish. Up front I like the mix of clean apple flavors, soft citrus and lightly sweet grain character.

The finish is a bit too spicy and hot for this beer to be truly great, in fact it really can detract from the experience of this beer. Some age might help some, but it will be a race between oxidation and long lingering oak notes; if the barrel character can mellow before the base Tripel over oxidizes then this might end up really tasty, but it will take at least a year if not multiple years before this is evident. I really like the idea of this brew and hope that later releases of this brew show a better balance between Tripel and barrel character.

3.38/5  rDev -14.2%

Reviewed on 5/27/08. Bottle, pulled from Mark's (Big Z's) cellar. Pours a cloudy dark golden/light brown with a nice white head. Aroma of sourness, popcorn, skunk (the skunk disappears after the beer warms). Flavor is super spicy, buttery, lots of the brandy barrel taste. While the beer is semi-cold, these flavors do not mesh so well and the brandy is pretty dominant. You just sorta get this odd tasting, unbalanced beer. But, if you let the beer warm up A LOT, you get a sweet apple finish, which is really nice. I imagine that this apple is probably more prominant when the beer is fresh. I enjoyed the apple finish the best, so I'd probably enjoy this beer best when it is fresh. Otherwise, the beer for me is just ok. But I do love the originality of CL to come up with a beer like this. On tap I bet it's awesome. As far as mouthfeel, it's a sipper and really warms you up, so great for a chilly fall night I'd imagine. Anyway, so I'd love to try a fresh bottle of this, but wouldn't bother with a somewhat aged version. Interesting beer, as all of the CL brews are.
7/4/7/3/15 (3.6/5)

3.39/5  rDev -14%

Drinking this right now and reviewing on my iPhone. Got this in a trade from HimerMan.

Opened the bottle and noticed some brown goo at the top near the cap. Can only assume its yeast. Got it out with my pinky finger before pouring. Pours a nice golden color with a nice 1/4" head.

Smells of a sour made with bret with a nice caramel background.

Taste is not what I expected at all based on what the bottle says and the fact that BA says this is a tripple. I did not read any reviews before tasting. Was not expecting it to taste of a sour. I'm not a huge sour fan so it would have been nice to know before hand. Has a grannysmith caramel apple sort of taste with a warming feeling in your chest probably from the brandy.

Mouthfeel is good like a tripple with a little extra carbonation.

Drinkability is not high since I can never drink a sour very long since my stomach starts feeling kind of funky. I don't even know if I will finish this glass.

Overall I probably won't drink this one again unless I end up getting in to sours in the future...

3.4/5  rDev -13.7%

A-How could this not pour golden? Cloudy body. Head fizzles off to almost nothing. Minimal lacing.

S-Yikes the booze sets in quickly. Apple brandy. Light woodiness. Behind the unique characteristics is a Tripel. Pronounced yeast and liquor-soaked bread. Decent touch of honey as well.

T-Starts off pleasant. The apple brandy is very defined. Then the Tripel components kick in. Yeasty and spicy. Unfortunately, the booze sets in and melds with the brandy flavor to make a stinging artificial apple alcoholic finish.

M-The booze burns the tongue and leeches out all the moisture. Syrupy with a bit of carbonation. Body is not huge but its hefty enough. The apple brandy lingers for days.

O/D-The first few sips I enjoyed. The last few I really did not like very much. Too bold with the apple brandy flavor and quite boozy. Started off well then deteriorated quickly. I respect the effort to make something new and unusual.

3.4/5  rDev -13.7%

Was really excited to have this beer, my first Capt. Lawrence.

I felt that the smell was pretty good, not super strong, but fairly solid. The taste was kind of weird, and it left my mouth feeling supremely dry, kind of wanting something more at the end of the drink.

Kind of disappointed about the whole experience, but not the worst beer that I've ever had.

3.43/5  rDev -12.9%

Thanks to Hopp for grabbing this for me at Bierkraft last fall. Pours a bright lemon yellow with a white head. Nose is sour granny smith apples and a hint of lemon. Although the smell is tart, I don't detect any of the funk other reviewers have noticed. Flavor is dominated by tart apples and refreshing lemon. I don't think I've ever had brandy before, so can't pick out that flavor. This is a fairly sugary beer. Thick, coating, sticky and highly carbonated. Overall, quite good. This is a great hot weather beer for those, like me, who prefer to avoid drinking anything under 9% ABV (not sure what ABV this is, but I'd be surprised if it's less than 9.5%). However, this should be sold in smaller bottles. 750ml is ridiculous. No way I can finish a bottle of this in one night.

Golden Delicious from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.