Golden Delicious - Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Golden DeliciousGolden Delicious

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Tripel |  12.00% ABV

Triple Aged In Apple Brandy Barrels

(Beer added by: mcallister on 02-01-2008)
brodah

05-18-2012 18:51:59 | More by cowboy83
trappistlover

Arizona

2.53/5  rDev -35.3%

(750ml bottle-2010 batch courtesy of alpinebryant). Pours cloud yellow with white head. Nice carbonation. Aroma is medicinal, some green apple and booze. Apple pie? Not even close. Taste is sweet and yeasty, but alcohol just overpowers the beer. Medium bodied with boozy finish. It's quite hot. Damn it!!! I had wanted to try this beer for a long time and finally got some. This is disappointing. I have an '09 as well and it will be interesting to see how that aged. This is a beer that probably should be blended: extra gold with portion of extra gold barrel aged.

01-27-2011 05:34:52 | More by trappistlover
JoeyBeerBelly

2.58/5  rDev -34%

750ml bottle, served in a snifter.

A - slightly hazed, golden yellow color with a fluffy white head that fell to a layer, leaving some small spots of lacing. Tiny bubbles of carbonation rose from the bottom of the glass the entire time it took to drink it(about 45 mins). After admiring the look of this brew it pretty much went downhill for me.

S - smell's something like Applejack Brandy, strong alcohol aroma.

T - a bit hot, flavor is pretty much all alcohol with some sour apple dryness.

M - light bodied with mild carbonation feel.

D - I really didn't enjoy this too much.

Final Note: I was very disappointed with this beer after hearing/reading the hype about it.

02-18-2008 01:21:58 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
Rifugium

2.65/5  rDev -32.2%

I did get this bottle at the brewery. Either this is just a sub-par beer, or the bottle they sold me was past its prime. With no printed bottle date, it's hard to tell.

Poured a slightly hazy golden color, with a small white head that fizzled out pretty quickly; minimal to no lacing. Aroma was woody, toasted grains, pale malts, vaguely floral with a hint of peppery spice. Taste was pretty bland and uninteresting, woody like the aroma, fusel, boozy, floral notes, fruity esters and stale cinnamon sticks, but really nothing "apple" coming out in any significant way. Mouthfeel was pretty dry and on the metallic side, light-medium body, and moderate carbonation. Not a very good drinker, and a taster was more than enough of this one.

Bad bottle or bad beer? I don't know, but I'd like to try it again to be sure.

12-13-2012 08:02:34 | More by Rifugium
MbpBugeye

2.68/5  rDev -31.5%

A bottle that has been on my wants since it came out sent to me by Mdfb79.

A- I noticed how full this bottle was. As I pried the cap I thought to myself "A lot of these CL beers are slow gushers. If this one is like them I wont have much time to pour". So I got my glass ready and sure enough, it started gushing very so slowly. No beer was lost, it did fill quite a pretty glass though. The head is very fluffy and rumbling forth, it achieves a height of 2 fingers. Lacing is prompt as the foam retreats. The beer is a very cloudy, pale orange. Its quite nice.

S- Very sweet on the nose. I can get barrels right off the bat. At this early juncture, as the beer warms, one wouldnt identify them as brandy barrels but oak would certainly be mentioned. By now we all know oak's calling card. Vanilla, its there, with toffee and lots of butter. This is certainly a hoppier beer, Im assuming that the base beer is Xtra Gold. Unfortunately I feel that hoppy notes clash with barrel notes, and this beer is further evidence of that. They come together and make a hairspray/body spray kind of smell. I may be able to pick out apples, but they certainly arent apple pie notes. If anything its more like tart, fresh, green apples.

T- I have to start this portion of the review with a complaint about the booziness. It totally wrecks the flavor. Its like Scott spiked my drink with brandy, only I wouldnt have known it was brandy if he hadnt told me (He's never been very good at date rape). Everything starts out pretty nice. There is a smooth, fruity sweetness. A spike of hoppiness ushers in a tongue bashing. The flavors are nice but they are overshadowed and chased out by a strong flavored liquor element.

M- The feel is pretty nice, but again, booze is fuckin up my Christmas. Carbonation is on the higher side, but hey, this is Captain Lawrence we're talkin here, you just learn to accept it as law.

D- Man, I need some help here. This is a very interesting idea. I wanted to love it. Hell, I loved it before I actually had a bottle, but it needs some tweaking.

12-24-2010 03:56:51 | More by MbpBugeye
grandq

2.78/5  rDev -28.9%

Pours amber with a huge white head. A funnel of bubbles rises up the middle. As I drink, the lace scarcely disspates off the sides of the glass. Smells of apple, brandy and caramel. The apple begins to give way to quince after a few smells, blending with pear.

Taking a sip, my first thought is a tripel mixed with apple pucker and brandy. A little bit better than I make it sound, though the caramel flavor on the end isn't a nice finish in my book. This delivers exactly what the nose announces, no surprises. As it warms, the apple flavor overtakes the more mellow quince and really does impersonate a golden delicious perfectly. Way too boozy though, not in the sense of being too alcoholic, but for taking on the qualities of its aging vessel to the detriment of the beer's own flavors. Heavily carbonated as I'd anticipate from the style, but its locked in a battle with the syrupy body. Gets even tougher to drink as it goes. I appreciate the creative effort, but not something I'm enjoying a great deal.

03-02-2008 20:58:57 | More by grandq
vfgccp

2.83/5  rDev -27.6%

A - Murky light amber; like 3:1 mix of apple cider to water.

S - Alcohol hits the back of your nose instantly, and mellows into cinnamon, apple, and bourbon, with a backdrop of orange zest

T - Alcohol was right up front in your mouth, almost harshly so. After the sharp burst, the taste rolls into peppery Scotch. The aftertaste was my highlight of the beer; oak, smoke, cinnamon and tart peach come to mind as the Scotch balances itself out.

M - Another reviewer described the "tingle" of the mouthfeel, and it's dead on; lots of that going on as the alcohol evaporates off your palate. Otherwise the feel is light, with a mild carbonation.

D - The strong alcohol taste makes you think twice before your second sip. But, fortunately, all that alcohol taste comes with alcohol, and after a few more sips the beer becomes easier to drink. That said, the strong flavors linger with you, and half of a 750ml bottle was more than enough for my liking.

11-10-2010 01:28:21 | More by vfgccp
djmichaelk

2.85/5  rDev -27.1%

750ml bottle, courtesy of mikesgroove (thanks Mike!), into a chalice.

A - Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow. Not much head to speak of at all, maybe just a thin ring, with no retention or lacing to speak of (obviously). Even at almost room temperature there's not much of anything.

S - Bright, fresh apples right off the bat, followed by bready yeast and dried apricots. The brandy comes in late to finish things off, but it's not too forward. The smell is mouth-watering and inviting to say the least.

T - Whoa; the brandy is much stronger than I would've expected from the nose, while the apples are much further in the background. It's a little strange, since it's apple brandy, but they seem to break apart, and the two aren't really integrating together very well with the other elements of the base tripel. The flavors seem to be fighting each other. The booziness also gets in the way and complicates things. Disappointing after the great smells coming from the glass.

M - Medium bodied, slightly sticky, but with nice, effervescent carbonation.

O - Overall while it's not a bad smelling beer, it's not something I would spend the money on again. I was really looking forward to it, since I love apple brandy and tripels, but this one just doesn't work for me. If you factor in the price (I don't), it just gets worse.

05-12-2011 15:54:54 | More by djmichaelk
rdilauro

Connecticut

2.88/5  rDev -26.3%

Almost from the time I opened this bottle, I knew I was not going to find it that appealing. So true,the bouquet to me was masked with aot of malt. It was hard to distinguish other attributes.

The taste was someone un-easy. Almost like an apple that just isnt right.

This type is just not my type of beer. I generally love anything that they make there.

08-01-2012 19:13:15 | More by rdilauro

Date: 10/15/2010
Type: 750ml. Bottle
Vintage: 2010
Glassware: DFH Tulip

Poured a cloudy light orange in color w/ a skim coat white head that left nice lacing. Nose was of light citrus, vanilla, oak, light apple brandy, and fresh cut PVC. Taste was where this brew went downhill. Sour apple flavor followed by lots of booze and brandy, finishing w/ strong herbal hops. Mouthfeel was boozy and dry. The drinkability was not good at all for me, way too hot and boozy, it goes right to the head.

Did not enjoy this one at all! This brew is a boozy hot mess. Hopefully age might help this one, but I doubt it.

03-05-2011 18:36:53 | More by mikeyv35
Golden Delicious from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.