Golden Delicious - Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Golden DeliciousGolden Delicious

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Tripel |  12.00% ABV

Triple Aged In Apple Brandy Barrels

(Beer added by: mcallister on 02-01-2008)
3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

Aroma is strong and mainly of sour apple. It comes out of the bottle a hazy honey golden with a thick and fine-bubbled white head. Malty and fruity flavor has a firm but not nasty alcohol nip. Lively, fizzy texture leaves behind a firm, persistent tingle.

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Review from notes taken 2/2/11. 750ml bottle picked up at a random bottleshop on a recent trip to Southampton's RIS release and split with wishuwerebeer. The bottle was dust covered when I saw it which isn't a certain answer but my guestimate is that this bottling is from the 2010 or earlier batch. Before opening it, I noticed a small pellicle had formed across the top of the brew. My friend opened it standing in the middle of his kitchen, I grabbed it from his hands and rushed to the sink to catch the beer in a goblet as it foamed up and out of the bottle. Ninja reflexes I tell ya, we didn't lose a drop (which I regret) because said pellicle ended up in my glass.

Resting in my goblet, this brew appears a hazed golden yellow color with a big white fizzy bubbly head that quickly recedes and does so audibly. A thin film of white bubbles remains across the top and a spotty amount of lace clings to the glass.

The smell of this brew includes your typical Belgian yeast characteristics as a base to which this unique offering takes a wild turn. There is a tangy punch of alcohol that hits the nose with depth of Brett and funk. There are plenty of fruit notes to the aroma slightly reminiscent of tart green apples, citrus components and a smooth blend of vanilla.

The taste is big and boozy with Belgian phenols and alcohol warmth. A light herbal to medicinal quality is present blended with a bit of hoppy bitterness. More sips reveal a layering of funk, Brett and citrus notes. There is a solid barrel presence here with vanilla and a dryness to the warming finish that has a bold alcohol factor. As the brew warms, more if the apple flavors come out tasting of apple skins, pear and other fruits.

This is a medium bodied brew with a moderate amount of carbonation that initially seemed over the top but as I'm nearing the end of my glass, I'm wishing for a bit more. Visually the carbonation was lasting but lacking a bit in the feel. This is a very unique brew that was deep, complex and enjoyable. My only gripe is that this brew was a bit hot, I wish I knew a bottle date so I could try this again bit with an older vintage. I'm sure the bottle I had would have been a pleasure to drink with another year or so on it.

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Bottle courtesy of Hophead101 (thanks Greg!). It's been a long time since I really appreciated a tripel, but this was aged in apple brandy barrels so I have some hope.

It pours a light golden color, SRM or 4-5, very clear, with a large-celled foam on top. Thick lacy rivulets on the glass.

Lots of apple in the nose, maybe a bit of sweet white wine in the background (more than brandy), very pleasant aroma overall. Not a spicy tripel, more woody and fruity (obviously with the apple).

On tasting the apples take the lead, initially sweet and afterwards a little burning, not sure if that's the brandy or actual alcohol from the beer. A little lasting Belgian yeast character in the aftertaste. Very tart feeling throughout.

The body is a little light, plenty of carbonation though. Except for the alcohol burn this is very tasty and drinkable, not a pounder but it goes down fast for what it is.

3.8/5  rDev -2.6%

A: The beer is clear golden yellow in color and has a thin ring of off white bubbles around the edge of the glass and some lacing in the center.
S: There are aromas of apples and spice in the nose.
T: Flavors of apple brandy are very apparent in the taste due to the barrel aging; there are also hints of spices and a light amount of bitterness. It tastes quite acidic at first but becomes sweeter as the beer warms up.
M: It feels medium-bodied and a bit dry on the palate with a light amount of carbonation. There is a bit of warming from the alcohol in the finish.
D: The drinkability improves as the beer warms up, although I'm still not sure if I could have more than one of these in a sitting. It's definitely a beer that needs to be sipped.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Date: 10/15/2010
Type: 750ml. Bottle
Vintage: 2010
Glassware: DFH Tulip

Poured a cloudy light orange in color w/ a skim coat white head that left nice lacing. Nose was of light citrus, vanilla, oak, light apple brandy, and fresh cut PVC. Taste was where this brew went downhill. Sour apple flavor followed by lots of booze and brandy, finishing w/ strong herbal hops. Mouthfeel was boozy and dry. The drinkability was not good at all for me, way too hot and boozy, it goes right to the head.

Did not enjoy this one at all! This brew is a boozy hot mess. Hopefully age might help this one, but I doubt it.

3.9/5  rDev 0%

I've written about this beer before and always like everything I've gotten from Captain Lawrence. They make great American and Belgian style ales and this one is among the ones I really enjoy. I had a twelve ounce draft of this at Rattle & Hum in Manhattan.

Color is a very hazy and light yellow/gold. A lot of head with good belgian lacing and even some viscosity on the glass.

Aroma was an intense combination of yeast, alcohol and fall fruit (apples, pears).

The flavor was a little on the hot side but, again, featured the same qualities as the aroma.

This was a very quaffable beer that I hope to see again soon.

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Batch 4, Pours pale gold in color with a small fizzy white head that retreats oh so fast not to return. Aroma is a blend of white oak barrel, apple brandy, and estery, fruity belgian yeast. Alcohol is also present on the nose. The oak and apple flavors are up front here, with some fruity notes hidden below them. Alot of brandy flavor comes through. The flavor is somewhat tart, and somewhat dry, definatly alcoholic. I shared a 16oz. growler of this with my lady and can honestly say that was enough for me. Powerfully flavored, its good but in moderation.

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

Served on-tap at the Birdsall House.

Appearance is a cloudy honey tone with very little head. Its` smell has apple, caramel, alcohol and some oak. Taking a sip of Golden Delicious, some of those same flavors are still there, along with some brandy, and in the end, a tartness. MF is medium bodied, light on the carbonation. I believe this clocks in at 10% abv and with all that is going on with the beer, is a sipper. GD is definitely a very good reincarnation of Xtra Gold with some new characteristics.

3.4/5  rDev -12.8%

Thanks to Hopp for grabbing this for me at Bierkraft last fall. Pours a bright lemon yellow with a white head. Nose is sour granny smith apples and a hint of lemon. Although the smell is tart, I don't detect any of the funk other reviewers have noticed. Flavor is dominated by tart apples and refreshing lemon. I don't think I've ever had brandy before, so can't pick out that flavor. This is a fairly sugary beer. Thick, coating, sticky and highly carbonated. Overall, quite good. This is a great hot weather beer for those, like me, who prefer to avoid drinking anything under 9% ABV (not sure what ABV this is, but I'd be surprised if it's less than 9.5%). However, this should be sold in smaller bottles. 750ml is ridiculous. No way I can finish a bottle of this in one night.

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

Generous extra from maddogg (thanks!)
Pours a slightly hazy light golden color with a rapidly fading white head. Smells of apple, yeast, a touch of brandy and a bit of barnyard funk. I have only recently started to dabble with sour beers and this nose the slightest twinge of being an apple sour. The triple is an interesting canvas for the rest of this beer to paint on (over?). The taste is a lot like the nose - yeasty and a bit dry on the back with indications of apple and a bit of booziness. I have never said this before, but a bit of spice might have gone a long way to finish this beer. That being said, I am really enjoying this beer, despite leaving me wanting something. This beer is rather carbonated and gave a mini-gush when opened. Actually is pleasant in the beer. Pretty darn drinkable for whatever the beer is.

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

A_Pours a dark straw hue with a medium size off white head. This settles a bit too quickly into a smallish cap. Retention seems to be a slight flaw here.

S_All of the aromas of a nice tripel and more. Banana-esque yeast, a bit of barnyard funk and a nice dose of sweet and sour apple. Smells really nice.

T_First sip is a bit sweet with some citric hop notes, grapefruit and lemon. This is followed by a bit of pure booze, perhaps a bit to much. The apple hits on the end note and lends itself to finishing the beer in a dry cider sort of way. The apple flavour is complimentary rather than dominating.

M_Effervescent and light. Spot on for a tripel

D_I am kind of torn here. This is clearly very tasty but there is a bit too much fusel alcohol which makes it weird. Perhaps a bit more aging on the bottle would tone this down. Still this is a very interesting beer and the apple does not dominate but adds to the overall package well.

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

Received in the The Small Aquatic Mammal BIF, thanks to richbrew fot this treat.

Pours a clear, pale golden yellow. Tiny bubbles rise up to a thick, loose white head. The head falls slowly to a cap that leaves rings, and spots of lacing.

Smells like apples, and whiskey, with faint hints of vanilla. The brandy barrel aging really cuts through making this smell more like whiskey than beer. Lacks complexity, but its very pleasant. The aroma is bold and fills the air

I taste green apples, mint, spice, honey, biscuits, and whiskey. More like apple jack than apple pie. Lots going on here, but its nicely balanced.

It has a sticky medium body with little carbonation. It has a cool menthol sensation.

Bold and unique...one or two glasses would be enough. I would drink this again.

3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a clear golden color with a filmy off-white head. Aroma is boozy tart apples. There's some spice there but it's not apple pie spices. More like black pepper. Also very champagney. Flavor is boozy tart crabapples. Not sweet or spicy enough to evoke apple pie like the label says but the fruitiness is pretty nice. A hint of lemon zest in there as well. Pretty solid in sample/tasting size but fusel headache central if you're foolish enough to drink the whole bottle.

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Had a large snifter at the Ginger Man in NYC - certainly an interesting beer. There's a slightly funky apple aroma, the from barrels I presume. That mild tang and fruit carries over into the flavor with dry grains and Belgian spice followed by a kick of citrus hops. The ale has a medium body with a little sweetness, enough to enjoy more as a sipper.

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

Enjoyed at the Ginger Man in NYC on 2-4-11.

A -Lovely brandy color poured into a snifter. No noticeable head.

S - Boozy with cider vinegar aromas, some sour apple.

T - The apple brandy characteristics are immediately noticeable. They linger slightly and then are replaced by the booze characteristics. Not sure what the abv is on this, but if you tell me it is anything less than 10% I think you are pulling my leg.

M - Moderate to high viscosity, coats the tongue nicely.

D - This is obviously meant to be a low slow winter or fall sipper. Even a 12 ounce pour is a generous serving.

O - In a bottle, I would say this needs time to cellar (probably a year would mellow it nicely). Young and on tap, the booziness overwhelms the balance of the beer. It is a nice sipper, and would pair fantastically well with some slow cooked pork loin, but for me it was too hot right now. That being said I am happy to have tried it and if I found a bottle I would buy it to cellar.

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Aromas of apple cider, but green/granny smith apple cider if that makes sense. Some lesser earthy qualities with some sweet and sour candy smell to it as well. Wish there was more going on here, but anyway...

The taste is exquisite. Begins sweet and tart like the granny smith apple again but quickly transitions into a woody/oaky flavor and then quickly again switches to raisins and brandy. It finishes light again though with a dry biscuity and bready nature. Really complex, invites you to keep sipping but you really should savor this creation. As it warms the ABV/alcohol show itself a little but never harsh or unappealing in the slightest.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with less than adequate carbonation, would definitely benefit from some more in my opinion.

Overall this is a really unique beer worth trying if you can find it. It's dangerously drinkable, a little sweet, but not cloying. Just imagine the sweetness of a tart green apple and that is a good indicator. By far my favorite offering from Capt Lawrence hands down.

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

A bottle thanks to a super cool bar owner who will remain nameless.

A- a small cap of bright white head that hold for a second then settles leaving just a few specks on top. The brew is a hazy yellow orange in color.

S- lots of spicy belgian yeast with a bold apple brandy barrel presence and a nice tart sour apple hit.

T- bright apple and spice with a sweet candy sugar and brandy touch. A sharp tartness in the back with a green apple flourish.

M- on the lighter side of medium in body with a nice crisp carb. There is a good amount of heat to it but it works with the brew.

D- this is a tasty brew and a nice twist on the standard bourbon barrel thing. I'd like to see what a bit of lay down time would do to this.

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Reviewed from notes on 1/12/11

Pours a light yellow, golden, hazy, 2 finger head which slowly recedes, leaving lacing with little carbonation. Smell sour apples, floral hop notes, resiny, champagne notes, white grapes, boozy. Taste - BRANDY! Bitter hop flavors, maybe some light syrup taste as well. Light-medium bodied, little carbonation, dry finish, some alcohol burn. This is a sipper, heavy booze, and at 15 a bottle, not something I'd likely have again (after I finish my second bottle).

3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

Thanks to STEG for this bottle. Took me a while to get around to drinking this one, BIG SURPRISE!

Almost opened this in the middle of my folks' living room, good thing I thought twice and moved into the kitchen. Gusher. Who would have thought a Captain Lawrence beer would gush?

Looks nice once I manage to get it into my glass. Medium golden peachish hue. Some white fluffy head. Shoulda paid more attention, but things were a bit hectic.

Pleasant aroma of juicy apples and classic Belgian fruitiness. Also, boozey. Some spices I think. Funk?

Taste leaves something to be desired. Perhaps a little more boldness or fullness. It's tough to explain. It's mirrors the aroma, but just not quite up to par with it. And definitely a bit on the boozey side. It's needs something else, to be able to compliment that.

Feels pretty nice in the mouth. Not overly carbonated, as I was worried about, due to the initial experience. Dry finish.

I'd say the drinkability is somewhat lacking, considering the booze factor, and just that it's not screaming at me to take another drink. Having said that, it's not all bad. Perhaps I'm being overly critical and due to getting my hopes up.

2.53/5  rDev -35.1%

(750ml bottle-2010 batch courtesy of alpinebryant). Pours cloud yellow with white head. Nice carbonation. Aroma is medicinal, some green apple and booze. Apple pie? Not even close. Taste is sweet and yeasty, but alcohol just overpowers the beer. Medium bodied with boozy finish. It's quite hot. Damn it!!! I had wanted to try this beer for a long time and finally got some. This is disappointing. I have an '09 as well and it will be interesting to see how that aged. This is a beer that probably should be blended: extra gold with portion of extra gold barrel aged.

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

I had a quick sample of this at Darkness day and soon realized that I needed to trade for a few. Thanks SMason!!

A - Pours a beautiful bright gold with a white head that remains thru the glass but no sticking

S - Bright tripel nose of apple (though not from the barrel), some clove and fruit then hops fromt he dry hop addition though not overwhelming

T - Nice base tripel flavors of apple, cinnimon and clove with an extra kick of apple and some dry oak. A nice kick of alcohol in the back. Not as much barrel as I was hopng for but enough to know this was aged in something

M - Very high carb, nice pop and dry finish. Perfect

D - I'd like to know the ABV in this because you only get a hint of alcohol in the back. Otherwise very balanced and a nice hop character keeps you thinking.

I really enjoy this beer. I'm hoping the other bottle I've got will age well with more of the barrel coming forward.

4.33/5  rDev +11%

750ml bottle, split with friends on New Years Eve. Thanks to a generous trader who included this with our swap - much appreciated!!

Golden Delicious looks wonderful in my small snifter/tasting glass. The beer is golden with just a touch of amber. The head retention is noteworthy as is the lace, while the beer is hazy and has some visible bubbles creeping up from the bottom.

The smell and taste are really unique. The smell is alluring with notes of sweet apples, apple skin, oak, brandy and some vanilla. Some sweet caramel and wild brett add to the depth and make me want a full sip now! This beer is really good and makes a unique transition from the smell to the taste. Some initial sweet apple flavors are overtaken with brandy and wood. Then, the wild yeast comes into play and gives a touch of funk and some tartness. This has depth and offers up a caramel apple spice thing I've never had in a beer before. Cool!

The mouthfeel is defined by medium body and some good carbonation that works to make this more drinkable than it should be for such a big tasting beer. Some notable booze is quick to flee away and this ends up finishing with lingering sweetness and brandy. A unique and rewarding beer from the good Captain.

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%

Thanks Cuzco! This bottle was chilled and served in a pint glass.

Appearance: The beer looks like turbid cider in my glass. The head is thin white and quickly resolved. Some folks may have a problem with the turbidity of the body but hey its unfiltered and you know by looking its going to taste great.

Smell: Sinking my nose into the glass I am greeted by cinnamon and cloves combining with green apples, granny smiths and a twist of pear. Yeah it smells abit boozey but not in a distracting way.

Taste: The beers taste of the beer leads with tart and semi sweet apples. A bit of cloves and cinnamon break up the flavor. This one is boozey but I think it works well in the flavor. The beer dries out nicely in the end.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body is almost medium. The carbonation is a bit prickly but I think lightens the beer up. The alcohol may be a bit hot for some folks; however, I think its perfect and adds another layer. This beer disappeared from my glass way fast.

2.68/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A bottle that has been on my wants since it came out sent to me by Mdfb79.

A- I noticed how full this bottle was. As I pried the cap I thought to myself "A lot of these CL beers are slow gushers. If this one is like them I wont have much time to pour". So I got my glass ready and sure enough, it started gushing very so slowly. No beer was lost, it did fill quite a pretty glass though. The head is very fluffy and rumbling forth, it achieves a height of 2 fingers. Lacing is prompt as the foam retreats. The beer is a very cloudy, pale orange. Its quite nice.

S- Very sweet on the nose. I can get barrels right off the bat. At this early juncture, as the beer warms, one wouldnt identify them as brandy barrels but oak would certainly be mentioned. By now we all know oak's calling card. Vanilla, its there, with toffee and lots of butter. This is certainly a hoppier beer, Im assuming that the base beer is Xtra Gold. Unfortunately I feel that hoppy notes clash with barrel notes, and this beer is further evidence of that. They come together and make a hairspray/body spray kind of smell. I may be able to pick out apples, but they certainly arent apple pie notes. If anything its more like tart, fresh, green apples.

T- I have to start this portion of the review with a complaint about the booziness. It totally wrecks the flavor. Its like Scott spiked my drink with brandy, only I wouldnt have known it was brandy if he hadnt told me (He's never been very good at date rape). Everything starts out pretty nice. There is a smooth, fruity sweetness. A spike of hoppiness ushers in a tongue bashing. The flavors are nice but they are overshadowed and chased out by a strong flavored liquor element.

M- The feel is pretty nice, but again, booze is fuckin up my Christmas. Carbonation is on the higher side, but hey, this is Captain Lawrence we're talkin here, you just learn to accept it as law.

D- Man, I need some help here. This is a very interesting idea. I wanted to love it. Hell, I loved it before I actually had a bottle, but it needs some tweaking.

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

750ml bottle courtesy of TimmyP. Thanks Tim!

GD pours a clear orange yellow with a small head of foam and a small bit of lacing. The foam is type I've seen before, not really creamy or billowy so I don't reckon it will hang around for long. Edit: second pour was hazy and final pour was downright cloudy. Extra points!

The smell has a great apple nose with some spicing...I get a bunch of cinnamon. A very nice smell, especially for this time of year.

Going by the name of this brew, I expected the apples to be the showcase and it is. Very nice tartness brought to the table. Adding in the nice cinnamon spicing and more than a hint of funk, it's a very good taster to my palate. Ooh..and the alcohol is warming me up big time. There's no listed abv here or on CL's website but I'd guess it is around 9%.

It feels thinnish when I first started sipping but deeper into the session, I'd have to call it medium bodied and there's plenty of carbonation. A good mouth feel. Oh, and I was right about the foam. Bill sets, he jumps, he shoots, he scores! lol.

Drinkability is highish just because I'm digging the flavours but the alcohol is really there so I'll be content with small but frequent sips.

Good on ya, Captain! And Tim!

Golden Delicious from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.