Golden Delicious - Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Golden DeliciousGolden Delicious

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Tripel |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: mcallister on 02-01-2008

Triple Aged In Apple Brandy Barrels
4.17/5  rDev +6.6%

Many thanks as always to ShogoKawada for this one! Poured from a 750mL bottle into my Bruery tulip.

Golden saffron body, lightly cloudy with a delicate half finger of ivory receding to an uneven collar and burbling slick. Fast running, sandy lacing and choppy legs. Average retention.

Apple brandy suggests the fruit's skin, seeds, and concentrated dark sugars along with a light leathery note. Dried rather than juicy apples in the nose at least. Somewhat floral as well, more from yeast than hops, which is appropriate for a Tripel.

Very dry, mineral-laden, tart, and complex flavor profile. The apple flavors are wonderful, though there is a bit of excess heat from the alcohol, though it isn't overwhelming at all. Light vinuous character suggests a Pinot gris almost more than an ale. Low bitterness throughout with a faint herbal quality (roses, white tea, etc) in the finish.

A mix of spritzy and effervescent; slightly tannic and astringent, though very crisp overall.

Very pleased I cellared this until the weather got hot - as this is a very refreshing beer (despite being more of a sipper). While it isn't quite in line with the style, and time may have mellowed the hops (probably dulling the impact intended by the brewer), this is an excellent, creative, gentle, and almost sour ale. Well worth seeking out.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

wow... pours a slightly hazy golden color with an off-white head that holds and leaves a touch of lace. nose is bright, brilliant, golden delicious apple up front, followed by hops(?), a spicy belgian-style malt/yeast backbone and a faint vanilla/brandy/wood character. very, very pretty. everything comes together in harmony in the taste as flavors play off of each other extremely well. my palate can't tell what is what, and that means it has come together seamlessly. fruit coming from the barrel, the hops and the yeast, with just enough sweetness to turn the spiciness into yumminess. beers like this are usually not my cup of tea, but this turns my gears like crazy. awesome. medium body with lower carbonation than expected, and the booze never seems to get hot. awesome. great beer from one of the US's most talented breweries. thanks captain!

3.95/5  rDev +1%

Appearance -- Pours a hazed golden honey hue with a slim sudsy white head. It looks handsome.

Smell -- Apples! Lots of of crisp, clean apple aroma, honey malt sweetness, and still plenty of citrusy hops - not sure when this was released, but I've been saving this for four months. Very nice.

Taste -- Apple jack, crisp apple, honey malt, tart Belgian yeast, and faint citrusy hops. I wish I would've had this fresher to get a bit more of that Amarillo flavor. No booziness - a huge plus for the style.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied with medium carbonation. Feels good, but nothing to write home about.

Overall -- I'm really glad I had this, but not much about this shouted Tripel - likely due to the dry-hopping and the apple brandy barrel. Still, I strongly suggest you try this provided you have the opportunity, the fresher the better.

2.91/5  rDev -25.6%

750ml bottle, courtesy of mikesgroove (thanks Mike!), into a chalice.

A - Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow. Not much head to speak of at all, maybe just a thin ring, with no retention or lacing to speak of (obviously). Even at almost room temperature there's not much of anything.

S - Bright, fresh apples right off the bat, followed by bready yeast and dried apricots. The brandy comes in late to finish things off, but it's not too forward. The smell is mouth-watering and inviting to say the least.

T - Whoa; the brandy is much stronger than I would've expected from the nose, while the apples are much further in the background. It's a little strange, since it's apple brandy, but they seem to break apart, and the two aren't really integrating together very well with the other elements of the base tripel. The flavors seem to be fighting each other. The booziness also gets in the way and complicates things. Disappointing after the great smells coming from the glass.

M - Medium bodied, slightly sticky, but with nice, effervescent carbonation.

O - Overall while it's not a bad smelling beer, it's not something I would spend the money on again. I was really looking forward to it, since I love apple brandy and tripels, but this one just doesn't work for me. If you factor in the price (I don't), it just gets worse.

4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

Picked this up on a recent visit to the CL brewery. Been looking forward to trying this for a few weeks now.

A - Pours a nice crisp "golden" yellow. Looks delicious with a good 1 finger head that remains throughout the enjoyment of this beverage.

S - Sweet, the apple scent is nice and refreshing. A great spring beer. You can smell the acidity of the apple and it offsets the scent of the Tripel nicely.

T - I think the yeast strain that CL uses is unique and sets their beers apart. You get the warmness of the apple brandy paired with a really tasty Belgian Triple.

D - Goes down well, the higher ABV sneaks up on you. You'll definitely be feeling it after 1 or 2 of these.

M - Another very well done beer by CL brewing. Love the fact that this stuff is local and I can swing by the brewery at any time to pick up a bottle (or sixtel for that matter)

3.92/5  rDev +0.3%

poured from a bomber bottle into a tulip.
A - had a very effervescent look. Poured a very impressive 1 inch head with lacing that lasted the whold pour.
S - smelled very much like apples, had a very distinct fruity aroma with a slight spice backbone.
t - tastes like a hyped up apple juice. Was more carbonated than I prefer, but it is a refreshing beer. Had a very tart but sweet front with a slow but deliverate fail to finigh
m - very bubbly, almost too bubbly, but drank very smooth.
o - a beer for the wife, would enjoy on a special occasion, would not appreciate this beer every day. Would seek it out for the wife, just will not be a beer for me.

4.41/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks Noah.

Translucent goldenrod color. Frothy white heat teases then dissapoints as it skims, collars and fades.

Aroma is spiced apples and brandy with a sweet twinkie malted tripel underneath. Mild spice blends and accentuates apples and golden pear.

Apple brandy barrel aging begets apple brandy flavor. A nice fleshy McIntosh in particular. Cinnamon. Mild acidic tartness that wiggles its way out of the beer as it warms up. Mouthfeel is thick and bold.

Really clean for a big beer. True to it's name it is golden and delicious.

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

I've been wanting to try a bottle of this for a bit. Into a Captain Lawrence tulip glass.

A- Bright peachy gold with small shades of orange underneath a glowing ivory white inch of foam. A nice cap afterwards and some minor bubbles on the glass. A nice looking triple considering the ABV and BA'ing.

Smell came through with the cap pop. The bottle does not lie, this smells like apples and for a while, needs some time to warm up to me. Nose opens with some faint vanilla and barrel character. Small traces of pear and some belgian bread. The apple reigns supreme.

I was not a huge advocate of CL's triple Xtra Gold, which I believe is the base for this, that was to hoppy in a way that irked me, i likes my triples fruity. Golden delicious offers less hoppiness than the original with the time in the barrel, but the apple is so in your face that it kind of drowns out the rest of Xtra's better characteristics. All in all I get a mix of apple and some vanilla from the Oak, brandy not so much.

I realize early on, many people found this to have to much barrel character. Now that GD has gone year round, maybe some less time in the barrels, or overly used barrels, have kind of balanced out the flaws. I don't find this overly hot and the barrel integrates nicely. This is not hot to me, the body is a sturdy medium and the aftertaste is not overly lingering, carbed up.

Im glad Cl decided to make this a year round beer, it makes it easier to get me fingaz on it. Overall this exceeded my expectations because I've had a few disaster BA triples from the Northeast. I think this is cool and not overly barreled up, because of the repeated use of the barrels.

3.38/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I tried this brew on tap at the Good Life. The beer preented a somewhat cloudy pear green color with a white creamy head. The nose was floral with green apple and hops. The taste was tart and crisp with a subtle taste of ranny smith apples. Not too sweet and very well balanced. The mouthfeel was thin yet crisp and not nearly boozy for the lofty 10% ABV listed. Overall this is a nice brew an very drinkable for such a high ABV. Not a bad choice for a summer or pringtime refreshing brew. The beer world's version of the apple martini. Enjoy!!!

4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

onto my second Captain Lawrence brew Golden Delicious. I can tell you I love the Belgian ties to what the captain offers. Xtra Gold was awesome, so let's see how this barreled beauty offers.

A- pours a golden yellow that literally looks like liquid gold (no pun intended). There is a faint crisp white head with some lacing on the sides of the brew. Looks like a fine tripel

S- spices, alcohol, apples, vanilla, oak, and the brett. That definitely covers a strong emerging scent. The best work to cover this is dominating. All of these themes jump out as a blend which completely works for me. It's complex to say the least.... and I imagine that was the objective from the start

T- thick citric taste that warms to apples and some good brett flavor. The alcohol sure does sting, but you can't deny the oak presence that enrobes the flavor. This is a really good taste profile

M- great flavor with all the necessary aspects to engulf the palate and mouth with flavor

D- the only issue is what you almost expect from the get go... it's a hot brew. Really a sipper. Nevertheless, I will grab several of these whenever I can. Keep it coming Captain!

4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

Never been a big Tripel guy, never hated them but never went out of my way to grab one. This was a gift from the great and mighty Cuzco, so it heads to the fridge from a few days of transit.

Slight hiss upon the decapping, a sweet mist hangs in the air as the tulip fils. A frothy foam, white as snow and a golden body, hints of copper and late summer sunsets. I can spin its in the fading northwest light and a rainbow of happiness spins its own yarn.

This beer...it makes me feel...(a hush fills the jungle)..Libidinous. Sweet funky notes, oak, ripe apricots, mangoes, vanilla, lost loves. I am enthralled at the flavor from such a brew. A lingering heat is left on the tongue, a spicy kiss.

I want this, inside me.

Cap't Lawrence- Do you feel like I do?

I think I should have expected a stronger apple taste from this than I was. I was expecting something very subtle and barely noticeable but instead it was as if someone had mixed in some cider with the beer. There is no listing of ABV on the website or the bottle but I'm guessing it's around 8-10%.

It was sweeter than I expected. Very unusual and very unique.

3.78/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a meringue of a head that tracks strands of lace

Smell: The heat from the alcohol is a bit too aggressive to get a good sense of the underlying elements, but there is clearly some tart apple and oak in the mix

Taste: Fruity, up front, with the tart apple and a hint of vanilla toffee; the tartness builds, after the swallow, in a way that I suspect may have something to do with Brett; while there remains a lingering sweetness underneath, the overall finish is dry and oaky

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation; some heat from the abv and a puckering sensation from the tartness

Overall: I expected to like this more than I did; there was just a bit too much dominance from the barrel aging relative to the other elements in the flavor profile

3.58/5  rDev -8.4%

Aroma is strong and mainly of sour apple. It comes out of the bottle a hazy honey golden with a thick and fine-bubbled white head. Malty and fruity flavor has a firm but not nasty alcohol nip. Lively, fizzy texture leaves behind a firm, persistent tingle.

3.97/5  rDev +1.5%

Review from notes taken 2/2/11. 750ml bottle picked up at a random bottleshop on a recent trip to Southampton's RIS release and split with wishuwerebeer. The bottle was dust covered when I saw it which isn't a certain answer but my guestimate is that this bottling is from the 2010 or earlier batch. Before opening it, I noticed a small pellicle had formed across the top of the brew. My friend opened it standing in the middle of his kitchen, I grabbed it from his hands and rushed to the sink to catch the beer in a goblet as it foamed up and out of the bottle. Ninja reflexes I tell ya, we didn't lose a drop (which I regret) because said pellicle ended up in my glass.

Resting in my goblet, this brew appears a hazed golden yellow color with a big white fizzy bubbly head that quickly recedes and does so audibly. A thin film of white bubbles remains across the top and a spotty amount of lace clings to the glass.

The smell of this brew includes your typical Belgian yeast characteristics as a base to which this unique offering takes a wild turn. There is a tangy punch of alcohol that hits the nose with depth of Brett and funk. There are plenty of fruit notes to the aroma slightly reminiscent of tart green apples, citrus components and a smooth blend of vanilla.

The taste is big and boozy with Belgian phenols and alcohol warmth. A light herbal to medicinal quality is present blended with a bit of hoppy bitterness. More sips reveal a layering of funk, Brett and citrus notes. There is a solid barrel presence here with vanilla and a dryness to the warming finish that has a bold alcohol factor. As the brew warms, more if the apple flavors come out tasting of apple skins, pear and other fruits.

This is a medium bodied brew with a moderate amount of carbonation that initially seemed over the top but as I'm nearing the end of my glass, I'm wishing for a bit more. Visually the carbonation was lasting but lacking a bit in the feel. This is a very unique brew that was deep, complex and enjoyable. My only gripe is that this brew was a bit hot, I wish I knew a bottle date so I could try this again bit with an older vintage. I'm sure the bottle I had would have been a pleasure to drink with another year or so on it.

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottle courtesy of Hophead101 (thanks Greg!). It's been a long time since I really appreciated a tripel, but this was aged in apple brandy barrels so I have some hope.

It pours a light golden color, SRM or 4-5, very clear, with a large-celled foam on top. Thick lacy rivulets on the glass.

Lots of apple in the nose, maybe a bit of sweet white wine in the background (more than brandy), very pleasant aroma overall. Not a spicy tripel, more woody and fruity (obviously with the apple).

On tasting the apples take the lead, initially sweet and afterwards a little burning, not sure if that's the brandy or actual alcohol from the beer. A little lasting Belgian yeast character in the aftertaste. Very tart feeling throughout.

The body is a little light, plenty of carbonation though. Except for the alcohol burn this is very tasty and drinkable, not a pounder but it goes down fast for what it is.

3.78/5  rDev -3.3%

A: The beer is clear golden yellow in color and has a thin ring of off white bubbles around the edge of the glass and some lacing in the center.
S: There are aromas of apples and spice in the nose.
T: Flavors of apple brandy are very apparent in the taste due to the barrel aging; there are also hints of spices and a light amount of bitterness. It tastes quite acidic at first but becomes sweeter as the beer warms up.
M: It feels medium-bodied and a bit dry on the palate with a light amount of carbonation. There is a bit of warming from the alcohol in the finish.
D: The drinkability improves as the beer warms up, although I'm still not sure if I could have more than one of these in a sitting. It's definitely a beer that needs to be sipped.

3.09/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Date: 10/15/2010
Type: 750ml. Bottle
Vintage: 2010
Glassware: DFH Tulip

Poured a cloudy light orange in color w/ a skim coat white head that left nice lacing. Nose was of light citrus, vanilla, oak, light apple brandy, and fresh cut PVC. Taste was where this brew went downhill. Sour apple flavor followed by lots of booze and brandy, finishing w/ strong herbal hops. Mouthfeel was boozy and dry. The drinkability was not good at all for me, way too hot and boozy, it goes right to the head.

Did not enjoy this one at all! This brew is a boozy hot mess. Hopefully age might help this one, but I doubt it.

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

I've written about this beer before and always like everything I've gotten from Captain Lawrence. They make great American and Belgian style ales and this one is among the ones I really enjoy. I had a twelve ounce draft of this at Rattle & Hum in Manhattan.

Color is a very hazy and light yellow/gold. A lot of head with good belgian lacing and even some viscosity on the glass.

Aroma was an intense combination of yeast, alcohol and fall fruit (apples, pears).

The flavor was a little on the hot side but, again, featured the same qualities as the aroma.

This was a very quaffable beer that I hope to see again soon.

3.74/5  rDev -4.3%

Batch 4, Pours pale gold in color with a small fizzy white head that retreats oh so fast not to return. Aroma is a blend of white oak barrel, apple brandy, and estery, fruity belgian yeast. Alcohol is also present on the nose. The oak and apple flavors are up front here, with some fruity notes hidden below them. Alot of brandy flavor comes through. The flavor is somewhat tart, and somewhat dry, definatly alcoholic. I shared a 16oz. growler of this with my lady and can honestly say that was enough for me. Powerfully flavored, its good but in moderation.

4.12/5  rDev +5.4%

Served on-tap at the Birdsall House.

Appearance is a cloudy honey tone with very little head. Its` smell has apple, caramel, alcohol and some oak. Taking a sip of Golden Delicious, some of those same flavors are still there, along with some brandy, and in the end, a tartness. MF is medium bodied, light on the carbonation. I believe this clocks in at 10% abv and with all that is going on with the beer, is a sipper. GD is definitely a very good reincarnation of Xtra Gold with some new characteristics.

3.43/5  rDev -12.3%

Thanks to Hopp for grabbing this for me at Bierkraft last fall. Pours a bright lemon yellow with a white head. Nose is sour granny smith apples and a hint of lemon. Although the smell is tart, I don't detect any of the funk other reviewers have noticed. Flavor is dominated by tart apples and refreshing lemon. I don't think I've ever had brandy before, so can't pick out that flavor. This is a fairly sugary beer. Thick, coating, sticky and highly carbonated. Overall, quite good. This is a great hot weather beer for those, like me, who prefer to avoid drinking anything under 9% ABV (not sure what ABV this is, but I'd be surprised if it's less than 9.5%). However, this should be sold in smaller bottles. 750ml is ridiculous. No way I can finish a bottle of this in one night.

3.92/5  rDev +0.3%

Generous extra from maddogg (thanks!)
Pours a slightly hazy light golden color with a rapidly fading white head. Smells of apple, yeast, a touch of brandy and a bit of barnyard funk. I have only recently started to dabble with sour beers and this nose the slightest twinge of being an apple sour. The triple is an interesting canvas for the rest of this beer to paint on (over?). The taste is a lot like the nose - yeasty and a bit dry on the back with indications of apple and a bit of booziness. I have never said this before, but a bit of spice might have gone a long way to finish this beer. That being said, I am really enjoying this beer, despite leaving me wanting something. This beer is rather carbonated and gave a mini-gush when opened. Actually is pleasant in the beer. Pretty darn drinkable for whatever the beer is.

3.91/5  rDev 0%

A_Pours a dark straw hue with a medium size off white head. This settles a bit too quickly into a smallish cap. Retention seems to be a slight flaw here.

S_All of the aromas of a nice tripel and more. Banana-esque yeast, a bit of barnyard funk and a nice dose of sweet and sour apple. Smells really nice.

T_First sip is a bit sweet with some citric hop notes, grapefruit and lemon. This is followed by a bit of pure booze, perhaps a bit to much. The apple hits on the end note and lends itself to finishing the beer in a dry cider sort of way. The apple flavour is complimentary rather than dominating.

M_Effervescent and light. Spot on for a tripel

D_I am kind of torn here. This is clearly very tasty but there is a bit too much fusel alcohol which makes it weird. Perhaps a bit more aging on the bottle would tone this down. Still this is a very interesting beer and the apple does not dominate but adds to the overall package well.

4.12/5  rDev +5.4%

Received in the The Small Aquatic Mammal BIF, thanks to richbrew fot this treat.

Pours a clear, pale golden yellow. Tiny bubbles rise up to a thick, loose white head. The head falls slowly to a cap that leaves rings, and spots of lacing.

Smells like apples, and whiskey, with faint hints of vanilla. The brandy barrel aging really cuts through making this smell more like whiskey than beer. Lacks complexity, but its very pleasant. The aroma is bold and fills the air

I taste green apples, mint, spice, honey, biscuits, and whiskey. More like apple jack than apple pie. Lots going on here, but its nicely balanced.

It has a sticky medium body with little carbonation. It has a cool menthol sensation.

Bold and unique...one or two glasses would be enough. I would drink this again.

Golden Delicious from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.