Golden Delicious - Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Golden DeliciousGolden Delicious

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Tripel |  12.00% ABV

Triple Aged In Apple Brandy Barrels

(Beer added by: mcallister on 02-01-2008)
Ineedabeerhere

Rhode Island

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%

Batch 1 had at 10/10 epic tasting. From notes. Thanks for donating this one, Scott!!

Pours a nearly still hazy orangey amber color.

Smells awesome. Mom's apple pie, spiced apple cider and a wonderful spiciness that is reminiscent of the aromas a fall breeze brings to your nostrils. Alcohol and belgian yeast esters as well.

Taste mirrors this, but is surprisingly hot for such an old bottle. How much apple brandy was left in the barrels when they were filled? That would definitely explain the hotness and the lack of head formation. Definitely hurts the drinkability. I look forward to another future batch.

11-26-2009 04:53:44 | More by Ineedabeerhere
DefenCorps

Oregon

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

Thanks, Scott! It was very generous of you to toss in some beers for an already excessive tasting. This was batch 1, about 3 years old?

Golden in color with a thin white head that recedes to a ring rapidly. Great clarity. The nose is boozy and hot, with apple pie spices, a big spicy apple brandy character and some alcohol. Mild honey, mild fruit. The alcohol is noticeable and almost harsh. The palate opens up with a combo of boozy heat, apple brandy and some hot, almost solventy alcohol. Apples, honey and a dry, spicy finish with hot alcohol. Light in body with medium carbonation, this is decent, and I'm glad I got to try it.

10-11-2009 21:08:18 | More by DefenCorps
akorsak

Thanks to markgugs for this 750 mL capped bottle.

A: The ale is very effervescent, nearly bubbling out of the bottle. The carbonation continues to stream in my glass 20+ minutes after pour. Despite the bubbles, the golden ale doesn't retain much head. A high degree of clarity in this one.

S: The nose prominently shows off the barrel, oaken wiht vanilla and apple essence. Heady alcohol is evident when I take a deep inhale. Despite the strength, the nose is very enjoyable.

T: The ale is fortified, heavy and strong. Apple and wood dominate, a powerful flavor combination that makes brandy barrels my second favorite behind bourbon barrels. The tripel's candi sugars struggle to come through but eventually emerge, complimenting the sweetness of the barrel. Mild vanilla flavors are a byproduct of the oak. The ale is complex but difficult to get through at times.

M: The mouthfeel is rich and boozy, a thick morass of brandy and tripel. I'm glad that I have janlud to share this with.

D: As much as I enjoy the complexity, the ale is a bold drink that is tough to get through.

07-10-2009 23:29:50 | More by akorsak
Crosling

Colorado

3.73/5  rDev -4.6%

It gushed heavily, not a surprise from this brewery, but it is once again disappointing when the yeast gets completely agitated upon opening and you lose a couple ounces. Nose is really nice and enticing, showing notes of caramel, fruit, vanilla, wood. Flavor is juicy, well balanced between the sweetness and fruitiness of the original beer and the apple brandy wood. Really nice stuff. Once again though, whats with the gushing?

03-16-2009 20:41:33 | More by Crosling
younger35

4.4/5  rDev +12.5%

Received this brew in a trade with Fishdawg71. I pretty much have (or have had) one bottle of all of Captain Lawrence's limited barrel releases. I've looked forward to this one and Rosso E Marrone the most. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip.

Batch #1 bottled October 2007, rebottled January 2008.

Appearance- Two different beers here. My first pour is clear as a bell with a nice yellowish tint with loads of Champaign like carbonation. The second pour is a hazy yellow with an obvious abundance of yeast. Not sure how it got so stirred up since I was careful as hell not to mess with the bottle and the first pour was so clear. Both pours have a nice two fingered white head that recedes very slowly and leaves a nice cap, collar and loads of lacing.
Smell- Nice and fruity with a big dose of brandied apples and pineapple. Tropical at times and caramel candy at others. Seems to be an eternal struggle here for my nostrils attention. Plenty of wood and brandy with hints of vanilla and grapes.
Taste- Way different than I expected. I would have never of guessed that this was a Tripel from the smell but after my first sip it's evident. The yeast isn't as prevalent as I'd expect from a Tripel but there is a lot going on in this brew. Big and warming the alcohol is hidden well but my throat is aware of its presence. Some toffee and toasted brown sugar add a slight bit of sweetness while the wood is slightly astringent and very vanilla. The apple is more evident in the nose than taste but there is a slightly fruity aspect. More white grape or peach than anything else. As the brew warms slightly (it was pretty much room temp from the start) the alcohol seems to play more of a part in taste but it's never really burning. Maybe it's just the sort of warm fruity brandy that I'm getting.
Mouthfeel- The beer looks like its going to be thin and crisp but that's not even close. It's full and hearty with a light sort of carbonation with the aforementioned warming.
Drinkability- Damn good beer. It was slightly colder than cellar temp on my first glass and I think I liked it better than when it warmed to ambient temp. It was a quite a bit fruitier (in a sense) than it was warm. Either way that is really my only complaint as this beer is really good and I'm feeling good. Big thanks to Geoff for his generosity!

03-03-2009 02:33:58 | More by younger35
FtownThrowDown

3.05/5  rDev -22%

Had this one a couple times over DL weekend and still can't figure this one out. Looks fine in the glass, but after that...

I just couldn't quite put my finger on this one. Plenty of sour apple in the taste. Lots of fruity spice and alcohol coming through as well. An alcohol infused sour apple jolly rancher. Got very cloying, and there is no way I could drink an entire bottle by myself.

02-21-2009 21:31:05 | More by FtownThrowDown
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.6/5  rDev +17.6%

A huge thanks goes out to the kind BA who sent this bottle my way. This was another one I had been trying to get off my list for a while. Served at cellar temp and poured into a snifter, this one was consumed on 01/27/2009.

The pour was very nice. Light hazy amber with a good bit of carbonation sneaking in from the bottom of the glass. Rich head of wite came up over the top and settled down effortlessly into a thin layer of maybe a half an inch that hung out there for a good long while.

The aroma was wonderful. Lots of apple and oak aromas, hints of peaches and a light grain smell. Really very full with the apple like smell coming right up to you without being over powering. Nice touches of bourbon now showing up as it warmed as well. Smooth as could be as I took a big first sip. Warming, with bourbon and apple coating the tongue straight away. Mellow carbonation was just right to let the flavor pop. After taste was a mix of oak, apple, light vanilla hints and a bit of bourbon, masterfully done. Not sure the ABV on this but being a triple I can assume it was up there, but it was one of the most mellow, smooth drinking triples I have ever run across.

Overall this was about as solid of a big beer as you are going to run across. Really just wonderfully done and I am glad I got a chance to try it.

02-01-2009 15:47:01 | More by mikesgroove
scootny

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

Batch 1

Thin head that quickly disappears. Cloudy like cider. No visible carbonation.

Aromas of banana, apple, vanilla, light oak, and hop florals in the back. Tropical fruits and fusel alcohol-malt. Interesting and intriguing.

Taste is apple brandy with a strong alcoholic heat. Banana and a bit of pineapple with malt and caramel. More heat in the finish with light crackery notes on the palate.

Mouthfeel is light and slightly syrupy. Steady carbonation and a silky sensation as you swallow.

Drinkability is nice but definitely a sipper. An apple brandy beer. Proceed with caution.

From tasting notes 6/18/2008

01-02-2009 03:38:53 | More by scootny
drseamus

4.33/5  rDev +10.7%

A: Nice light amber almost straw colored body initially. The addition of the absolutely essential yeast turns it dark brown and completely opaque.

S: It has developed a touch of a funk. It is super appley and has a ton of sweetness. There is good heavy brandy behind everything.

T: Nice and sweet but totally balanced. The brandy comes through but isn't overpowering. There is still a malty sweetness coming through proving that there was a beer at the base of this concoction.

M: Super smooth. I can't think of adequate words to describe it's silkiness.

D: Great. It's rare and strong, but great.

12-22-2008 16:45:13 | More by drseamus
LilBeerDoctor

3.38/5  rDev -13.6%

Reviewed on 5/27/08. Bottle, pulled from Mark's (Big Z's) cellar. Pours a cloudy dark golden/light brown with a nice white head. Aroma of sourness, popcorn, skunk (the skunk disappears after the beer warms). Flavor is super spicy, buttery, lots of the brandy barrel taste. While the beer is semi-cold, these flavors do not mesh so well and the brandy is pretty dominant. You just sorta get this odd tasting, unbalanced beer. But, if you let the beer warm up A LOT, you get a sweet apple finish, which is really nice. I imagine that this apple is probably more prominant when the beer is fresh. I enjoyed the apple finish the best, so I'd probably enjoy this beer best when it is fresh. Otherwise, the beer for me is just ok. But I do love the originality of CL to come up with a beer like this. On tap I bet it's awesome. As far as mouthfeel, it's a sipper and really warms you up, so great for a chilly fall night I'd imagine. Anyway, so I'd love to try a fresh bottle of this, but wouldn't bother with a somewhat aged version. Interesting beer, as all of the CL brews are.
7/4/7/3/15 (3.6/5)

12-19-2008 21:30:33 | More by LilBeerDoctor
mrjimcat

4.45/5  rDev +13.8%

We purchased three bottles when this brew was first released. The initial tasting revealed that this might be a beer that needs to be aged and may go through excellent changes with age.

We just tasted the second sample and it stands up to it's name - Golden Delicious. While still too young IMO, the flavors had melded together and the alcohol was deceptively low key. I just wish we had bought anout 10 of these puppies. The lacing was perfect and flavor was delicious. Mouthfeel and drinkability were good for such a brew.

Now our only problem is when to drink the last sample..

12-13-2008 21:16:07 | More by mrjimcat
msubulldog25

Oregon

4.18/5  rDev +6.9%

Green glass 750ml bottle, presumably the Spring 2008 release. Feeling like an Apple Brandy Barrel-Aged American Tripel tonight, so from my plethora of options (one), I picked the Cap'n Lawrence; poured to a snifter.

A: A pure, clear golden-honey pour, with modest carbonation rising in tiny rivulets. Each pour gets a fizzy white head, just a fraction of an inch that ebbs quickly to the sides and forms a clingy ring of cream.

S: Tart green apples are HUGE in the nose, vinous woodiness of aging barrels. I could be fooled into thinking this was a dry white wine if I were blindfolded, a brett-like yeasty funk tickles the nose.

T: I'm a fan of brandy and *wow* can you taste the brandy in this beer! Remarkably warm, the glow of baked apples. Tart and yet sweet, like a caramel drizzle. It's a little hard to find where the 'tripel' starts in this one - it's so defined by the barrel and the apple brandy, but I'll try. Besides the upfront apple, there are other ripe fruit (pear and melon), baked yeast roll, spice and some vanilla. Amarillo dry-hopping only adds another layer of interesting flavor. Finishes quite dry, woody. Complexity squared, possibly cubed.

F: Crisp mouthfeel at the front, velvety smoothness and warmth on the back; that numbing spritzy tingle upfront and coating boozy finish is something to behold. Medium/full body. A little malt sweetness sticks around the lips.

D: One of the more interesting beers I've tried in months; however not the most drinkable. Brandy richness has a tendency to overpower and alcohol is not subtle...good for sharing, but one snifter-full is more than enough. Worth seeking out, especially for the tripel lover and/or brandy fan.

Big thanks to joe1510 for sending this to Oregon. (Go Cubs!)

11-21-2008 05:59:28 | More by msubulldog25
hopdog

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

750ml bottle shared courtesy of egajdzis.

Poured a medium hazy (hazier as we got to the bottom of the bottle) golden color with an averaged to smaller sized white head. Aromas of apples, vanilla, fruity, and woody. Tastes of apples, wood, fruity, brandy / whisky, and citrus. Lively body with some alcohol in the finish.

Notes from 2/29/08

11-10-2008 01:22:30 | More by hopdog
Lupe

3.73/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a slightly hazed pale copper - somewhere between apple juice and cider in color. Big white fluffy head stays up and leaves some lacing behind. Quite a bit of carbonation that does not quit rising to the top of the beer.

Aroma of caramel malt, apples, brandy, and light oak. Pretty much as expected with a little more alcohol showing up in the nose.

First sip was all oak and alcohol, so I set this down for 15 to warm up. Apple came to the forefront, some caramel malt and yeastiness. Oak creeps in towards the end, but the alcohol is a little too dominate for my taste. Finish is excellent with lingering apple and caramel.

Light-medium in body with a little too much carbonation. Decent drinkability. Hard to get a fix on this one - one sip I love it, the next it's ok. Probably wouldn't buy another bottle, but definitely worth trying.

10-26-2008 19:02:36 | More by Lupe
gford217

Georgia

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

Bottle courtesy of shaebs99 poured into a tulip.

Looks like, well, slightly hazy apple juice with a small soapy head that is continually fed by a steady stream of bubbles from the bottom of the glass. The head remains a remnant throughout leaving only a trace of lacing.

The smell is dominated by the apple brandy and caramel malts. As someone mentioned before, it does smell a little like caramel apples. I only got a hint of the brett but not a lot.

The taste has a bigger oak presence than I got in the nose but there is still tons of apples which lay on top of the big caramel malt base. I don't get a lot of the typical Belgian tripel qualities in this one but that's not necessarily bad.

The mouthfeel is highly carbonated with a sticky sweet palate that fades into a slight tart tinge on the tongue in the finish.

This is a very drinkable brew that doesn't stick too close to traditional tripel expectations. Very drinkable.

10-23-2008 00:02:54 | More by gford217
dnichols

Washington

4.53/5  rDev +15.9%

Chris shared a bottle of this brew from his stash with me and two other gentlemen from Boston. He poured from a 750 ml bottle into pint glasses.

A: It poured an orange tinged cloudy yellow body with a moderate height fluffy white head that lingered long and lefet spotting lacing.

S: It had a pleasant aroma of green apples, sweet toatsed malts and fresh citrusy hops.

T: It presented a well balanced, smooth and refreshing flavor profile that was lead by sweet and tart green apples and creamy and sweet malts. There were undercurrents of brandy and bananas.

M: It was light to medium bodied with moderate to heavy carbonation and a smooth and creamy presence on the tongue. It finished clean and warm with little aftertaste.

D: Excellent and unique brew. A very different tripel that is interesting and enjoyable. I could easily make my way through a long session with this fine beer.

10-21-2008 17:04:46 | More by dnichols
PeprSprYoFace

3.4/5  rDev -13%

Drinking this right now and reviewing on my iPhone. Got this in a trade from HimerMan.

Opened the bottle and noticed some brown goo at the top near the cap. Can only assume its yeast. Got it out with my pinky finger before pouring. Pours a nice golden color with a nice 1/4" head.

Smells of a sour made with bret with a nice caramel background.

Taste is not what I expected at all based on what the bottle says and the fact that BA says this is a tripple. I did not read any reviews before tasting. Was not expecting it to taste of a sour. I'm not a huge sour fan so it would have been nice to know before hand. Has a grannysmith caramel apple sort of taste with a warming feeling in your chest probably from the brandy.

Mouthfeel is good like a tripple with a little extra carbonation.

Drinkability is not high since I can never drink a sour very long since my stomach starts feeling kind of funky. I don't even know if I will finish this glass.

Overall I probably won't drink this one again unless I end up getting in to sours in the future...

06-06-2008 06:56:34 | More by PeprSprYoFace
Avryle

4.28/5  rDev +9.5%

I had the opportunity to taste this at the release, but this is the first bottle we pulled up from the cellar to try.

A- Pale copper in color. Some slight haze. Big airy white head on pour. Appears to be hyper-carbonated

S- Caramel apples & brandy. The bret is really coming through on the nose. Got some floaties rolling around, some the size of Rhode Island.

T- Holy canoli! Brandy burn on the first taste. Mellows out by taste #2 and the apple character starts to come through especially on the finish. Quite a lot of booze on the body. Burps taste like apples. The lingering finish is incredibly pleasant. I've not tasted anything to compare this to.

M- Medium bodied and possibly a bit syrup-y. Wee heavy on the carbonation.

D- I'll be at this one for a while. Its more akin to drinking liquor that beer.

05-23-2008 23:40:45 | More by Avryle
TaddyPorter

Delaware

4.88/5  rDev +24.8%

I figured I should give a review of the draft, since I had the rare opportunity to try what was reportedly the only keg of this beer ever, at the Captain Lawrence event at the Blind Tiger in NYC in April 2008. Previously, I'd had a bottle of this beer and found it very enjoyable. On this particular occasion, I was very lucky to get to the Tiger in time; my beer guru arrived a few minutes later and found himself denied.

The color was a richer golden hue and its cloudiness was greatly increased in this draft version, as compared to the bottled version. I also found it to be more heavily apply, both in its aroma and its flavor--all positives. I found this beer to be dangerously drinkable and could have enjoyed a few more, but alas its ship had sailed...

Cheers!
Taddy

05-12-2008 19:47:40 | More by TaddyPorter
joe1510

750ml

Received in a trade a while back from EriktheRed, thanks a lot Erik! Golden Delicious pours a deep golden with hints of orange. Large carbonation bubbles rise from everywhere through the slightly hazed liquid. The head grew to one and a half fingers of clean white frothiness. Eventually fell to a finger and was supported by the massive amounts of carbonation.

The smell is loaded with juicy apple brandy and oak. There's a touch of vanilla and some sweet candied apple throughout although muted. This definitely smells good but I can't pull much, if any, tripel out of the glass. The barrel aging is certainly evident though.

This beer will warm you up right off the bat. There isn't much tripel in the flavor either. Freshly picked and squeezed apples up front, well, throughout actually with a juicy sweetness on the swallow. Oak and vanilla sway in and out of the fray. The alcohol isn't all that noticeable until after the swallow. The whole gullet warms when it hits the belly. Again, this is not much of a tripel but good none the less.

The mouthfeel is the best part of this beer. It's all together light and effervescent to the point of being velvety but still moving quickly.

A snifter of this in a sitting is enough for me, maybe two. That's the most I could handle at a time. Two snifters would be pushing it though.

An interesting idea from Captain Lawrence but falls a bit short of expectations.. One I was anxiously awaiting the release of. Golden Delicious is good but I think the barrel aging was overdone. I have another bottle I'm going to give a year or two. Maybe that'll help mellow things out.

04-20-2008 03:08:15 | More by joe1510
ggaughan

3.68/5  rDev -5.9%

Bottle sampled courtesy of my cousin on a recent trip back to the U.S. Sampled along side the Xtra Gold as well. This beer poured a deeper golden, almost brown color compared to the Xtra gold. There was a definite apple note in the aroma, pleasing. The taste was apple, alcohol but had a nice hop bitterness. The taste overall I felt was a little dominated by a hot, alochol taste from the brandy barrel aging. Maybe this beer needs a little time to sit and mellow.

04-06-2008 14:56:56 | More by ggaughan
brdc

Wisconsin

3.1/5  rDev -20.7%

Large capped bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.
I got two of this, one from scootny and one from yobdoog (my thanks to both), one for now and one to cellar since I had high hopes.

It is a golden brew with some white head, but that disappears quite quickly, and after just 10 minutes, it looks like a whisky glass, golden, no head and no lacing.
Aroma is quite nice, with apple, sweet malt, oak and whisky notes. Medium bodied, the taste is almost all brandy, overly alcoholic and almost abrasive. If you leave it in your glass for almost an hour like I did, since I did not enjoy a bit the first few sips, it loses some of that abrasiveness, but still tastes a lot more like whisky than beer.
The second one will be aged two or more years, because this first one was very disappointing.

03-26-2008 01:10:43 | More by brdc
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.35/5  rDev -14.3%

Smells quite characteristically of apples as I am pouring this brew. It is well carbonated, even foaming a bit as soon as I pop the cap. The head is quite frothy, fairly large bubbled, initially three-fingers thick, but disappears fairly quickly and is a pale, off-white color. The beer is a deep copper color and shows a brilliantly clear, rich gold / polished copper color when held up to the light. A deeper inspection of the aroma yields a mix of flower-like cider and buttery oak aromatics. The buttery oak notes are quite noticeable and almost seem a bit like diacetyl. The aroma has a fleeting spiciness to it at times that seems to be a mix of apple nose, oak and fermentation character and makes me think of a rich, buttery, cinnamon apple desert. The aroma is not nearly as complex as I was expecting though; the Tripel character seems to have been lost somewhere along the way.

Lightly sweet up front, which accents some soft apple flavors. The body is quite thin for a beer of this strength, though some tannins seem to give this a touch of texture towards the finish. Light hop flavors are also noticeable up front (an herbal citrus mix) before the oak character kicks in and provides a mix of spicy oak note, buttery-oak notes and a bit of warming alcohol. The barrel character is not as overwhelming as one might expect, especially since it does seem to be the most notable part of this beer. The beer does start out quite smooth with flavors of the Tripel and apples, but then becomes sharper and more biting as the brandy and oak flavors kick in through to the finish. Toasty oak notes mix in with the apple and Tripel flavors up front, especially as the beer warms a bit.

Allowing this to warm up from the initial 50°F / 10°C temperature helps to soften the barrel character just a bit; though really it seems to bring out a bit more complexity up front, but the hot alcohol and sharp barrel notes still seem to overwhelm the finish. Up front I like the mix of clean apple flavors, soft citrus and lightly sweet grain character.

The finish is a bit too spicy and hot for this beer to be truly great, in fact it really can detract from the experience of this beer. Some age might help some, but it will be a race between oxidation and long lingering oak notes; if the barrel character can mellow before the base Tripel over oxidizes then this might end up really tasty, but it will take at least a year if not multiple years before this is evident. I really like the idea of this brew and hope that later releases of this brew show a better balance between Tripel and barrel character.

03-25-2008 05:18:29 | More by Gueuzedude
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.83/5  rDev -2%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, burnished gold body with a tiny white head.

Smell: Spiced sliced apples and pears with brandy-bumped caramel and a pinch of pepper.

Taste: Spiced pears, brandywine, and a splash of apple cider with a resounding sweetness and a hint of musky apple peelings. No real hop character coming through. Sharply warming alcohol presence throughout. Slight woodiness that grows into the boozey finish and lasts into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Moderate carbonation. Warming mouthfeel.

Drinkability: A nice beer, it certainly brings new life to the tripel style. Bless them for that.

03-18-2008 23:26:01 | More by ChainGangGuy
Mudpuppet

3.68/5  rDev -5.9%

Thanks to Sigurd for the chance to try this.

A- Poured from a 750ml bottle into a snifter glass. Pours a golden color with a thin white head that quickly disperses.

S- Definite alcohol nose from the apple brandy barrels. There is also some yeasty notes from the Belgian yeast.

T- Again some definite alcohol from the barrels. This is a pretty tasty beer though. The tripel is masked pretty heavily by the apple brandy flavors. There are some hops that come through also.

M- Higher carbonation in this beer but I think that is how it should be.

D- This is a bit tough to drink a lot of but it is tasty in small glasses. The higher alcohol makes it a slow drinker. Definitely worth the effort if you can try this.

03-18-2008 01:13:33 | More by Mudpuppet
Golden Delicious from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.