Golden Delicious - Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Golden DeliciousGolden Delicious

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Tripel |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: mcallister on 02-01-2008

Triple Aged In Apple Brandy Barrels
4.12/5  rDev +5.6%

A bottle thanks to a super cool bar owner who will remain nameless.

A- a small cap of bright white head that hold for a second then settles leaving just a few specks on top. The brew is a hazy yellow orange in color.

S- lots of spicy belgian yeast with a bold apple brandy barrel presence and a nice tart sour apple hit.

T- bright apple and spice with a sweet candy sugar and brandy touch. A sharp tartness in the back with a green apple flourish.

M- on the lighter side of medium in body with a nice crisp carb. There is a good amount of heat to it but it works with the brew.

D- this is a tasty brew and a nice twist on the standard bourbon barrel thing. I'd like to see what a bit of lay down time would do to this.

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Reviewed from notes on 1/12/11

Pours a light yellow, golden, hazy, 2 finger head which slowly recedes, leaving lacing with little carbonation. Smell sour apples, floral hop notes, resiny, champagne notes, white grapes, boozy. Taste - BRANDY! Bitter hop flavors, maybe some light syrup taste as well. Light-medium bodied, little carbonation, dry finish, some alcohol burn. This is a sipper, heavy booze, and at 15 a bottle, not something I'd likely have again (after I finish my second bottle).

3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

Thanks to STEG for this bottle. Took me a while to get around to drinking this one, BIG SURPRISE!

Almost opened this in the middle of my folks' living room, good thing I thought twice and moved into the kitchen. Gusher. Who would have thought a Captain Lawrence beer would gush?

Looks nice once I manage to get it into my glass. Medium golden peachish hue. Some white fluffy head. Shoulda paid more attention, but things were a bit hectic.

Pleasant aroma of juicy apples and classic Belgian fruitiness. Also, boozey. Some spices I think. Funk?

Taste leaves something to be desired. Perhaps a little more boldness or fullness. It's tough to explain. It's mirrors the aroma, but just not quite up to par with it. And definitely a bit on the boozey side. It's needs something else, to be able to compliment that.

Feels pretty nice in the mouth. Not overly carbonated, as I was worried about, due to the initial experience. Dry finish.

I'd say the drinkability is somewhat lacking, considering the booze factor, and just that it's not screaming at me to take another drink. Having said that, it's not all bad. Perhaps I'm being overly critical and due to getting my hopes up.

2.52/5  rDev -35.4%

(750ml bottle-2010 batch courtesy of alpinebryant). Pours cloud yellow with white head. Nice carbonation. Aroma is medicinal, some green apple and booze. Apple pie? Not even close. Taste is sweet and yeasty, but alcohol just overpowers the beer. Medium bodied with boozy finish. It's quite hot. Damn it!!! I had wanted to try this beer for a long time and finally got some. This is disappointing. I have an '09 as well and it will be interesting to see how that aged. This is a beer that probably should be blended: extra gold with portion of extra gold barrel aged.

4.11/5  rDev +5.4%

I had a quick sample of this at Darkness day and soon realized that I needed to trade for a few. Thanks SMason!!

A - Pours a beautiful bright gold with a white head that remains thru the glass but no sticking

S - Bright tripel nose of apple (though not from the barrel), some clove and fruit then hops fromt he dry hop addition though not overwhelming

T - Nice base tripel flavors of apple, cinnimon and clove with an extra kick of apple and some dry oak. A nice kick of alcohol in the back. Not as much barrel as I was hopng for but enough to know this was aged in something

M - Very high carb, nice pop and dry finish. Perfect

D - I'd like to know the ABV in this because you only get a hint of alcohol in the back. Otherwise very balanced and a nice hop character keeps you thinking.

I really enjoy this beer. I'm hoping the other bottle I've got will age well with more of the barrel coming forward.

4.32/5  rDev +10.8%

750ml bottle, split with friends on New Years Eve. Thanks to a generous trader who included this with our swap - much appreciated!!

Golden Delicious looks wonderful in my small snifter/tasting glass. The beer is golden with just a touch of amber. The head retention is noteworthy as is the lace, while the beer is hazy and has some visible bubbles creeping up from the bottom.

The smell and taste are really unique. The smell is alluring with notes of sweet apples, apple skin, oak, brandy and some vanilla. Some sweet caramel and wild brett add to the depth and make me want a full sip now! This beer is really good and makes a unique transition from the smell to the taste. Some initial sweet apple flavors are overtaken with brandy and wood. Then, the wild yeast comes into play and gives a touch of funk and some tartness. This has depth and offers up a caramel apple spice thing I've never had in a beer before. Cool!

The mouthfeel is defined by medium body and some good carbonation that works to make this more drinkable than it should be for such a big tasting beer. Some notable booze is quick to flee away and this ends up finishing with lingering sweetness and brandy. A unique and rewarding beer from the good Captain.

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

Thanks Cuzco! This bottle was chilled and served in a pint glass.

Appearance: The beer looks like turbid cider in my glass. The head is thin white and quickly resolved. Some folks may have a problem with the turbidity of the body but hey its unfiltered and you know by looking its going to taste great.

Smell: Sinking my nose into the glass I am greeted by cinnamon and cloves combining with green apples, granny smiths and a twist of pear. Yeah it smells abit boozey but not in a distracting way.

Taste: The beers taste of the beer leads with tart and semi sweet apples. A bit of cloves and cinnamon break up the flavor. This one is boozey but I think it works well in the flavor. The beer dries out nicely in the end.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body is almost medium. The carbonation is a bit prickly but I think lightens the beer up. The alcohol may be a bit hot for some folks; however, I think its perfect and adds another layer. This beer disappeared from my glass way fast.

2.69/5  rDev -31%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A bottle that has been on my wants since it came out sent to me by Mdfb79.

A- I noticed how full this bottle was. As I pried the cap I thought to myself "A lot of these CL beers are slow gushers. If this one is like them I wont have much time to pour". So I got my glass ready and sure enough, it started gushing very so slowly. No beer was lost, it did fill quite a pretty glass though. The head is very fluffy and rumbling forth, it achieves a height of 2 fingers. Lacing is prompt as the foam retreats. The beer is a very cloudy, pale orange. Its quite nice.

S- Very sweet on the nose. I can get barrels right off the bat. At this early juncture, as the beer warms, one wouldnt identify them as brandy barrels but oak would certainly be mentioned. By now we all know oak's calling card. Vanilla, its there, with toffee and lots of butter. This is certainly a hoppier beer, Im assuming that the base beer is Xtra Gold. Unfortunately I feel that hoppy notes clash with barrel notes, and this beer is further evidence of that. They come together and make a hairspray/body spray kind of smell. I may be able to pick out apples, but they certainly arent apple pie notes. If anything its more like tart, fresh, green apples.

T- I have to start this portion of the review with a complaint about the booziness. It totally wrecks the flavor. Its like Scott spiked my drink with brandy, only I wouldnt have known it was brandy if he hadnt told me (He's never been very good at date rape). Everything starts out pretty nice. There is a smooth, fruity sweetness. A spike of hoppiness ushers in a tongue bashing. The flavors are nice but they are overshadowed and chased out by a strong flavored liquor element.

M- The feel is pretty nice, but again, booze is fuckin up my Christmas. Carbonation is on the higher side, but hey, this is Captain Lawrence we're talkin here, you just learn to accept it as law.

D- Man, I need some help here. This is a very interesting idea. I wanted to love it. Hell, I loved it before I actually had a bottle, but it needs some tweaking.

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

750ml bottle courtesy of TimmyP. Thanks Tim!

GD pours a clear orange yellow with a small head of foam and a small bit of lacing. The foam is type I've seen before, not really creamy or billowy so I don't reckon it will hang around for long. Edit: second pour was hazy and final pour was downright cloudy. Extra points!

The smell has a great apple nose with some spicing...I get a bunch of cinnamon. A very nice smell, especially for this time of year.

Going by the name of this brew, I expected the apples to be the showcase and it is. Very nice tartness brought to the table. Adding in the nice cinnamon spicing and more than a hint of funk, it's a very good taster to my palate. Ooh..and the alcohol is warming me up big time. There's no listed abv here or on CL's website but I'd guess it is around 9%.

It feels thinnish when I first started sipping but deeper into the session, I'd have to call it medium bodied and there's plenty of carbonation. A good mouth feel. Oh, and I was right about the foam. Bill sets, he jumps, he shoots, he scores! lol.

Drinkability is highish just because I'm digging the flavours but the alcohol is really there so I'll be content with small but frequent sips.

Good on ya, Captain! And Tim!

A: Poured a nice, clousy yellowish color with good carbaontion leaving a nice white head

S: Sour, green aplles, some brandy

T: I thought this was a wild! Had a huge tartness, green apples, pears, brandy, wine like texture

M: Sweet, dry, hoppy and tart, Light and crisp.

DL Easily drinkable, very good

2.79/5  rDev -28.5%

A - Murky light amber; like 3:1 mix of apple cider to water.

S - Alcohol hits the back of your nose instantly, and mellows into cinnamon, apple, and bourbon, with a backdrop of orange zest

T - Alcohol was right up front in your mouth, almost harshly so. After the sharp burst, the taste rolls into peppery Scotch. The aftertaste was my highlight of the beer; oak, smoke, cinnamon and tart peach come to mind as the Scotch balances itself out.

M - Another reviewer described the "tingle" of the mouthfeel, and it's dead on; lots of that going on as the alcohol evaporates off your palate. Otherwise the feel is light, with a mild carbonation.

D - The strong alcohol taste makes you think twice before your second sip. But, fortunately, all that alcohol taste comes with alcohol, and after a few more sips the beer becomes easier to drink. That said, the strong flavors linger with you, and half of a 750ml bottle was more than enough for my liking.

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

750ml bottle (batch 3) received in trade a way back from hoppymcgee. Thanks Greg! Poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass.

A - Pale golden hue with orangey highlights. Hazy, peachy color with a thin but foamy white collar. Spotty lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - Citrusy in aroma, a grapefruity and lemony mix, very mild apple aroma mixed in, maybe a touch of brett (not sure about this one though). Smells really good.

T - Pretty up front with woody/oaky flavors. Citrusy flavors with lemon especially. Alcohol is noticeable but still on the subtle side. Grabbing some apple and getting some of the brandy too.

M - A bit of alcohol warmth, leaves a good tingle (barrel derived alcohol tingle). Medium bodied, lively carbonation. Woody flavors into the aftertaste. Nice.

D - Not sure how much alcohol there is in here...probably don't want to either. Figuring this is on the high side as a tripel, but it is largely hidden pretty well. Alcohol in the flavor is minor and there isn't much heat. The most noticeable alcohol evidence is the brandy from the barrels. This is a pretty outstanding barrel aged tripe. Glad to have the opportunity to try this one.

4.12/5  rDev +5.6%

Reviewed from notes. Thanks to bmanning for opening this as a slight "fallish" beer we managed to convince Amyliz4 to let us drink during the pumpkin beer tasting.

Poured into a tulip. Appearance is a slightly hazed golden apricot color with a nice head and a bit of lacing. Nose is quite nice with a good bouquet of green apple and some slight sweetness. A bit tart. Taste is light apple with a bit of spice. Good medium feel with a nice carbonation level. Another nice brew from the folks in Pleasantville.

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%

I had the first batch of this...and it was equally as boozy as this batch. I'm assuming it probably needs a minimum of 2 years to really meld together...

served 11.5 oz in a kasteel glass
a - pours a golden with a slight orange color

s - boozy with hints of estery profiles of the beer and the apple brandy

t - when it's cold the main thing dominating is the boozy apple brandy barrels; it's mostly the booze and bits of the . as it warms up hints of vanilla, pear (among other) esters, and a hint of maltiness pull through to provide a good profile of the tripel. though the booziness tends to still dominate the front end, you get a slight sense of the apple in the finish

m - medium body and sweet on the front, but it finishes dry with that hint of

d - the boozy nature of the beer diminishes the drinkability of the beer. I'd really like to try it a year from now to see how a more balanced beer would taste like. Nevertheless it's a terrific example of the beer.

3.61/5  rDev -7.4%

Beautiful hazy yellow to amber. No appreciable head.

Expected more brandy notes. Aroma is more of a tripel. Mos def smells hot.

I like this but it is too hot. Needs another year on it. Apple comes thru nicely though. A good triple.

Dry without any astringency. Good carbonation. Very boozy. Medium body.

I like it but I'll like it better with some time on it.

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Bottle received from Knifestyles, thanks again, Chris. Poured into a pint glass...at 12pm on a Sunday:

A - Golden cloud, yellow hay. Hard pour produces frothy head that dissipates into foam ring around the edges. Constant bubbles showing carbonation.

S - green apples. Little sour and a bit sweet and tart.

T - apple and brandy (go figure), especially when it warms. Little bit band-aid and plastic. Pretty boozy.

M - Refreshing but thick and syrupy. Carbonation is good

D - A sipper for sure. The fglavors are good for a triple, but its really not my style. Interesting combo for the style with the apple brandy barrel. I did enjoy it but I'm ok with maybe trying this again in a few months or so. Thanks again, Chris.

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

Bottle shared by bmanning at a recent tasting. One of the highlights of the evening because it wasn't a pumpkin beer. Beer is light yellow and pretty hazy with a big white head of medium and large bubbles that falls away leaving no lacing on the glass.

Sour aroma, lactic mostly and then there's the apples. Awesome.

This is like a sour tripel that kind of tastes like apples. The beer is light in body and quite effervescent in the mouth. Its tart at the corners but leads off with lactic acid in the mouth. Tastes really good. Beer finishes pretty cleanly and overall its a nice experience. Thanks.

4.32/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured into a tulip.

A - Opened with such an explosion that it spouted from the mouth of the bottle all over the place...pretty annoying. Poured a hazy orange with a frothy white bubbly head that left nice lacing. Pretty attractive for what I expected, but minus points for the explosion.

S - The worst part of the explosive opening was that I spent the next 10 minutes cleaning up beer in the path I ran from the couch to the nearest sink...all the while though the sweet smell of sour apple candy filled the room. Golden deliscious smells golden great.

T/M/D - Interesting...in an interesting way. The apple brandy is pretty prominent. Elements of a Tripel are also there...which gives it an almost sour vibe. It is somewhat boozy, but the tripel flavors kind of balance it out. It is one of, if not the most unique beer I've ever tasted. Sour apple brandy with a vibrant mouthfeel. I wouldn't be surprised if some people hate it, but the apple flavor makes it almost sangria-like. Leaves a pretty cooling and refreshing fruity feel long after putting the glass down. Easy to drink and something that I hope I come across again since I was so impressed with the uniqueness (and in a good way).

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a hazy golden color with a small yet tight frothy white head that settles into a sparse cap with some sheets of lacing. The aroma is of tart apples and a bit of perfume. A light apple cider aroma. The taste is of a pale malt, a beligan yeast strain which produces a juicy fruit flavor and some banana/clove. There is a bit of a dirty/earthy hop bitterness. Oh, and then there are the apples. Solid apple flavor which bring some of the sweet and tart aspects of the apple. The apple flavor works very well with the style, mixes into a unique flavor profile. The feel is on the light side of moderate with active carbonation; a nice mixture of sweet and bitter with a ever so slight touch of sour. Drinks quite crisp and easy, seems to have clean flavors. I would like to see some more traditional Belgian flavors to this beer but that is completely nitpicking. Very solid.

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle. Pours a slightly cloudy golden color with a fluffy white head that collars around the glass. Sweet sour apple smelling with some Belgian type aromas with a slight touch of booze. Very interesting tasting...in a good way! Sour apple tart taste that is very reminiscent of sour green apple jolly ranchers or nowandlaters. You know? I really kind of like this one. Light mouthfeel. Easily drinkable.

4.02/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured into tulip.

Pours about a finger of white head. Fades to a thinner layer but leaves some nice lace. Color is a slight hazed golden yellow.

Aroma: Sweet crisp apples. Mellow brandy. Grassy herbal hops. Pears, orange peel, and spice flavors. A touch of yeast. A really nice smelling tripel.

Taste: A lot more brandy and alcohol here than in the nose. Pears and dried red apples shows. Cloves and spice notes. Grassy herbal hops again. Some very nice flavors.

Mouthfeel: Dry and boozy. Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Fairly crisp here. Ends with some sweetness and alcohol.

Overall, a really nice take on a tripel. The barrels added a lot of heat, but a nice layer. Maybe a bit too hot, but I enjoyed it. Fairly drinkable as well, but I can see this going straight to my head.

Edit: as it warms a bit, I am getting a green apple bite to it. Granny smith apples fo sho

3.4/5  rDev -12.8%

Was really excited to have this beer, my first Capt. Lawrence.

I felt that the smell was pretty good, not super strong, but fairly solid. The taste was kind of weird, and it left my mouth feeling supremely dry, kind of wanting something more at the end of the drink.

Kind of disappointed about the whole experience, but not the worst beer that I've ever had.

4.89/5  rDev +25.4%

Another selection from Cuzco (Nate) in the Blind Bomber BIF.

Poured into a St. Feuillien goblet. Pours a hazy gold with orange highlights. one finger of egg shell white head, large amount of big bubbles in the foam, dissipates quickly, leaving a thin foam on top.

Aromas of funk and sourness, wood and some spice that I can't quite put my finger on. I'll come back to the spice. Wait, orange peel. Not bitter orange, but sweet orange. I'm intrigued. Nice addition from the amarillo hops.

First sip is sweet and sour with a tannic bite. Could there be apples in this? A little sourness around the edges. I'm getting a little wine flavor. And Oak. Man this is all over the place. I'm diggin it.

Mouthfeel is dry and tannic, I'm thinking from wood aging, not quite medium, definitely not watery. Very drying. On the verge of puckering. A little prickly carbonation.

Drinkability is extremely high. I really like this beer, it is like nothing I've had before.

4.04/5  rDev +3.6%

On tap at The Bronx Ale House. This is definitely not a beer I ever expected to find on tap, so I was super excited as Mr. Duffy at the Ale House poured.

Golden Delicious isn't the prettiest beer in the world. It pours a dull, somewhat murky straw color. The pour creates an enormous puffy white head that dissipates pretty quickly. But it's called Golden Delicious, not Golden Attractive, and the beer brings the goods.

The aroma is excellent. The distinctive Belgian yeast and fruitiness that characterizes the tripel style and the sweet, sticky brandy booziness mesh beautifully.

The taste is similarly well-blended. The booziness, predictably, is more pronounced than in Xtra Gold. It's an unmistakable brandy taste, sweet and tart, but not at all overwhelming. The yeast and spice common to tripels are present, and despite my trepidation before trying it, the fruit character definitely is almost entirely apple. Well done, guys. This beer is delicious, and well worth seeking out.

The mouthfeel is thick for the style with pretty low carbonation, and so the beer is extremely sticky. It's not as crisp and refreshing as a typical tripel, but that's not really the point here, is it?

This is a unique beer well worth trying, so keep your eye on Captain Lawrence and hope that they'll do more batches.

3.64/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

On tap at lazy boy saloon. Pale golden yellow into a flute type glass at the lazy boy saloon. What little head there was was almost completely dissipated by the time it got to me leaving a collar of thin bubbles.

The smell has Belgian yeast, breast notes, as well as booze and apple (brandy).

Taste is very boozy, alcohol is very much present and accentuates the apple brandy character. It's pretty sweet but has a lot of nice triple characteristics.

Mouthfeel is syrupy, kinda smooth with light carbonation.

The drinkability really takes a hit due to the sheer amount of booziness present but it's certainly a nice glass to have, it's a nice concept as well.

According to CL this is an attempt at apple pie using alcohol as the sweetener and apple brandy barrels for the apple character with the spicy breadiness of a begian triple for the pie crust. Nice concept, it could be better executed but I'm not sure how. Maybe starting with a less boozy beer to start with?

Golden Delicious from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.