Rosso E Marrone - Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Rosso E MarroneRosso E Marrone

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-28-2009)
4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Batch 1 bottle received in an in person trade with beerloco thanks!

Appearance: Classy deep red waxed 375ml bottle pours an attractive burgandy with zero head.

Smell: Great bouquet of sour cherries, red grape skins, strong oak notes, and wild yeast. Well done.

Taste: Murky and flat up front until a wave of sharp acidity roles over you and keeps a medium length finish. Lots of brett here too that makes it fairly dry for the style. No "sweet and sour" going on here. But the oak has lots of presence and character which dances well with the sour cherries, grapes, and dry brett.

Mouthfeel: Murky and low on carbonation.

Drinkability: btw the sharp acidity and the mouthfeel I can't score this one high on the drinkability.

Batch 2 consumed 4.6.10

4.0
Appearance: Same as 08' but with a 1 finger beige crown that shows little retention and no lace.

4.5
Smell: Strong black licorice note and less oak than Batch 1.

4.5
Taste: Got that black licorice note again, less brett than Batch 1, but a bit more "sweet and sour" going on.

4.0
Mouthfeel: Better carbonation than the Batch 1 but still fairly moderate which is fine for this style.

4.0
Drinkability: Going down easy for me.

koopa, Dec 31, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured into Carolus chalice.

Color is a dark cherry raspberry color. Glass has some yeast sediment in it and the beer is very hazy. Hardly any white head. No lace.

Aroma: Sour red grapes, some funk and brett, wood, and slight wine flavors. Very nice.

Taste: A little bit of a let down. Some leather. The grapes add a lot to the flavor. Wood and brett also stick out. Funky with cherries. Nothing to special, but good.

Mouthfeel: Very sour and tart. Funky. I was surprised that the body was fairly light. Decent amount of carbonation. Ends a little dry and sour.

Overall, a pretty good sour, but nothing too special. I was a little bit let down by this one, but it was fairly drinkable.

mothman, Dec 17, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Picked this up at the release and have been aging it for a year or so, I think. The 375 ml bottle has red wax over the cap. Not anymore!

It pours very nicely with almost no head, just a little foamy around the end of the glass. It is very, very red and it smells strongly of grapes and sour....ness. Punch in the balls, really.

No big surprises on the taste; the smell gives a lot of the flavor away. But this is a very good, very tasty sour that I think gets a little better the warmer it gets. The one thing I didn't get was any of that kind of extreme brett-taste that, when too strong, makes wild beers harder for me to drink. This beer is strong in all the right places and understated where it should be.

Not much in the carbonation department for me. But it doesn't take away from the overall beer at all, in fact it complements the evenness of the body - great for a sour in my book.

This is very drinkable but I'm happy doing it as sort of a tasting, which is where I am drinking it. Tasty treat.

rasta16ry, Dec 09, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

375ml bottle poured into my Darkness tulip.

A - Pours a dark ruby red with a dark tannish colored head that quickly disipitates, leaving nothing more then the body of the beer. No bubbles, no lacing, nothing. Just a muddled ruby red colored body.

S - Some nice tart/sour notes, but not too funky. Grapes, apples, pears, lots of nice sweet fruit mixed into the sour notes of the brett. There's a good amount of oak and red wine as well, as indicated that these were what the beer was stored in.

T - Tastes like grape juice with a kick of funk. The red wine, oak, and grapes are very present and right up front. The tart/sour quickly follows behind and finishes with a wine-ask tannic alcohol burn. A nice lip puckering sour finish.

M - Light to medium bodied. Has a feel similar to a red wine, perhaps a Pinot Noir but not as big as a Cabernet or Syrah. No real carbonation, which is a bit disappointing.

D - I actually think I prefer Red Poppy to this Flanders. I did enjoy this one, and wouldn't mind trying it again in the future. I think this has several more years of aging left.

Sean9689, Nov 12, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

375mL bottle, batch 1, courtesy of an extremely generous BA, poured into a tulip.

Pours a very murky reddish brown with a smattering of fizzy off-white bubbles that recedes immediately leaving nothing at all on top. Needless to say, no lacing on this one.

The aroma is massive with tons of tart cherries, red grapes and plenty of brown sugar sweetness. There is also hints of vanilla and maybe even some chocolate. The brett is present but not a dominant aroma.

The taste is a bit more tart and funky that the aroma and the sweetness of the sugar and vanilla is less prevalent. The brett starts to come out much more in the finish and it definitely has a dry, earthy funk in the aftertaste with some dry wine-like character as well.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and dry on the palate with very little carbonation.

This is a very good beer and an excellent example of the style. It goes down very easily and I think the funk will develop even more over time. Nice.

gford217, Oct 31, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Batch #1 bottle from the cellar.

Pours ruby red with sparkling clarity and a quarter inch head at best. An exaggerated pour released a meagerish amount of white, soapy bubbles which remained around the placid surface that developed after.

Aromatics lead off with sour cherries, bright acid, vineous wine and a shade of tannic aspirin. Lush, sour, and wine-like.

Medium bodied with a sharp as tacks mouthfeel. Lightly chewy and smacking of tartness.

Ripe, red stonefruit and large, vineous overtones start the palate. A bright, fruity, acidic, profile steps forward quickly and is followed by oaky tannins and red wine. Loads of cherries, wine, and oak.

Finishes with lingering tart cherries, red wine, sharp acid, and drying oak.

Wowza, great beer. Since this one has dropped bright in the bottle it's really come into it's own.

brewandbbq, Oct 30, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Really very generous of Shane to share this and Cuvee de Castleton with me. Thanks Shane!

Pours red with an inch of dark tan foam that quickly dies. Large bubbled. I don't offer that description very often.

Smells, wow, this blures the line between wine and beer moreso than Consecration or Sang Royal or a few others that come to mind. Big juicy, ... cabernet sauvignon? ... anyway, some sort of red grape, along with some vinegar to the nose. The flavor has the acidic, vinegar, vinous bite in spades. Damn this puppy tastes like a sour blended with wine. Grape grape grape. Juicy purple grapes, puckerish sour grapes. Grapes.

It's a pungent, strong tasting brew but drinkable for all that.

Overlord, Oct 28, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

12.7 oz bottle. Red waxed. Batch One. Served in my DFH Snifter. Celebrating a Gold Metal win at the '09 GABF for Best American-Style Sour Ale.

A: Little or no head, but has a small ring of foam around the side of the glass. Pours a reddish brown. Very murky when held up to light. Lots of active carbonation going on. Lacing is decent.

S: Very strong overall, I can smell it from the table. Tart cherries, red grapes, rhubarb, currants and earthy notes. Is that some Twizzlers I smell in there? You also get some oak barrel funk, Brett and LOTS of vinegar.

T: Similar to the smell, tart cherries and red wine dominate. The brett and bugs are definitely there, adding a nice level of complexity. Gotta love what time in a good barrel does. Vinegar sourness hits towards the end, finishing very dry and tart.

M: Medium bodied. Over a year in barrels has smoothed this out nicely. Not much carbonation despite all the bubbles.

D: I had no problem enjoying this brew by myself. However, the dry, vinegar finish seems to be a little rough on the palate. Probably best to enjoy this brew on a night by itself.

A nice take on the Flanders Oud Bruin style by Captain Lawrence Brewing. I would have liked a little more maltiness to add to the complexity, as I feel that was the Rosso's one real weak point. I hope CL makes another batch next year, as I'd like to see if they make any tweaks.

heliosphann, Sep 27, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a waxed and capped, 12.7oz bottle into a Struise tulip. Extra special thanks to javib458 for the trade and hook-up!

Batch 1

A: Pours a hazy and still, rose accented brown color with just a tiny amount of bubbly, light-pink head. The foam immediately moves from a loose congregation in the center to the edge of the glass, where it takes position 'till the very end. No lace was spotted save for one stubborn little glob near the rim of the glass.

S: Tart and earthy. Slightly metallic aroma, as it warms, along with saddle leather, red-wine soaked oak, sour cherry, vinegar, extremely unripe grapefruit, lemon, and tart/sour grapes.

T: Almost exactly as above. Add to this some very tart orchard fruit, red wine, and bark.

M: Surprisingly full bodied considering how sour it is. Very acidic with a pleasant touch of mellow sweetness that knocks one or two of the rough (sour) edges off and transports this to a whole new level. Finishes acidic, sweet, and dry.

D: The Captain does it again! I went into this expecting nothing short of greatness and I certainly wasn't disappointed. Many thanks go out to Javier for agreeing to this trade. I've been trying to put my hands on a bottle of this ever since it was released. I had one bottle break en-route to me (F.U.U.P.S.!) and a couple trades fall through/go nowhere. I'm really loving everything the Captain lays his hot little hands on!

GbVDave, Sep 24, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

A: Nice deep golden copper with a thin ring of carbonation around the edge.

S: Wow. Big pungeant funky vinegar soaked grapes. Wonderful nose going on with this one.

T: Vinegar soaked grapes again. Much like the nose but even better since I can now taste it!

M: Good medium body with good carbonation.

D: If you haven't been able to tell yet I'm in love with this beer. Definitely one of the best sours I've had the pleasure of tasting.

drgonzo3705, Sep 20, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +8%

Batch 1 bottle into a St. Bernardus glass late at night. Picked this up at the brewery.

A- Rosso has a reddish dark brown look and just looks murky all together. A steady pour into a non tipped glass produced only a faint cap of already fading active off white bubbles. The cap was gone by the time i was finished the bottle, no lacing.

S- The smell on rosso tells me that Im in for something good here. This has opened up quite nice in the past 6 months. Big scents of sour/tart cherries with alot of grapes as well. Being a CL beer, the oak is well versed also, a little wood. A big nose of brett funkiness. Also some vinegar in the nose common for this style.

T- Damn, this is great beer. Each sip better than the last. The main taste that compete head to head are the cherries and the grapes used to ferment rosso, they play well with one another. The brett used also gives some sour tartness with some musty barnyard smells. Oak and wood from the barrel and some acidity from the wild ingredients. This really reminds me of wine in a big way, but better.

M- The feel was medium bodied with a sprinkle of carbonation, just enough to let itself be known. Some acidity and overall rosso is tart. Not knowing the ABV I would say the alcohol is well hidden but not 100% away. Slowly sipping this I come to find this is damn refreshing

D- I took down my 12oz or so with no problem and loved every bit of it. This is a top notch version of this style. While being a wild ale the wildness is a bit tamed while the taste is wonderful. I think I just found my favorite Captain Lawrence beer to date, this was special. This has good legs for some aging, alot going on here.

BARFLYB, Aug 27, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Pour is a cloudy, murky cherry-plum. As you swirl the glass it appears to leave a thick film of what may be grape pulp on the glass. This one is not much of a looker.

Smell: Sour cherries (delicious) and heavy oak. Musty, leathery brettanomyces in a good way.

Taste: Perfect blend of sour, tart cherries, oakiness, musty leather brett, caramel, and a bit of funk. Some other dark berries, rhubarb, and perhaps a little curing tobacco. Incredibly complex.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly full, there is a good deal suspended in this one.

Drinkability: Highly complex and drinkable, although I think the smaller bottle is the perfect size.

I think this one is highly under-rated and some of the low reviews did not rate to style. Personally I think this is the best beer for this style. Much better than red poppy.

craytonic, Aug 25, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to tprokop7 for this bottle.

375ml red waxed dark green bottle poured into a tulip.

A: Pours an opaque dark plum flesh, nearly as deep a the red grapes that were used in the barrels. Small, somewhat fizzy head forms and dies immediately. No lacing.

S: Soft fruity and tannin notes with a healthy waft of the red grapes. Some vinous wine notes. Maybe some tart wheaty notes? Some hidden sweetness in the back, maybe light caramel.

T/M: Good sour and tartness level, right on the edge of puckering. The red grapes come out very nicely along with some cherry, red apple, and pear notes. Not overly funky with some wisps of barn and hay... I think I'd like to see a little bit more. More of the light caramel in the very back mixing well with the oak and vinous wine barrel. Body is medium light with decent carbonation. A bit dry on the tongue but not overly so.

D: Very solid brew and definitely my favorite Oud Bruin by far. Easily drinkable and refreshing, hard to sip and savor. I do think a touch more funk with a drier feel and finish would benefit this brew.

pwoods, Jul 19, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

A huge, huge thanks goes out for getting this one in my hands. This was another big want of mine for a while. All of these new American sours coming out are really getting quite hard to keep up with. Never the less, I feel I am doing a fairly good job at tracking most of them down. This one I waited until lasted night to finally open, and what a hard time opening it! Served chilled into a snifter, this one was consumed on 07/09/2009.

The pour was rather, well interesting to say the least. It started out with a light brown pour, kind of hazy and cloudy with a tight little head of white that came up and over the top to a height of around an inch before settling down to leave the top of it bare with nothing along the sides to show for it. Aroma of sour cherries, nice tannic notes, a light hint of grapes and a bunch of funky barrel creatures coming up through the air. I was intrigued now, but I let it continue to warm, inching closer to that optimum temperature. This brought out hints of caramel and a touch of toffee or butterscotch, very complex. As I take the first sip, the sour takes over immediately, shredding any taste buds I had left and leaving them in the dust. Again letting it come up and breath lets loose the complexity that lie within. The cherries start to show along with red wine characteristics. Definite sweet undertones pinned against it now as well. Quite nicely done I have to say. I am intrigued now as well as really quite impressed. So I  go forward, and the smooth body, not as highly carbonated as one would get from the style at times, rather mellow, light and coating as it goes down. Still though, crisp and amazing complex. Very drinkable I had no issue at all with this bottle as the night wore on.

Overall a very well done example of the style here. Different, a little sweeter then I would normally expect, but amazingly complex. Very happy to get to try this one.

mikesgroove, Jul 10, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

Big thanks to Dave for busting this out unexpectedly. Served in a Hopleaf tulip glass.

A - This was kind of odd - Dave poured the first half and I poured the second. His glass is a lovely dark red-brown color with a finger of off-white foam. My glass has quick-dissolving foam and was a sort of homely brown color. I'm going to give this brew the benefit of the doubt here and go with Dave's glass.

S - Tons of brett in this one - reminds me a little of Consecration too. There's the obvious sour cherry flavor, but I get a lot of sweet red wine and grape notes as well. I like it better than La Folie and Red Poppy, both of which I had yesterday - there's a better balance of funk, tart, sour, and sweet flavors.

T - The taste has more sour and tart flavor, and is loaded with sour cherry and unripened grape notes. The tartness pervades into the aftertaste. There isn't a ton of wood in this one, as the fruit flavors seem to leap to the forefront. The funk and horse flavor is more restrained in the flavor to me.

M - Light medium body, with a dry finish and lots of residual cotton mouth sensations. The carbonation is fairly mild - strangely enough I prefer a little more active carbonation in my sour brews.

D - I keep reaching for my glass - there's no reason why I couldn't kill a 375ml bottle of this on my own. The aftertaste is strong but not overwhelming and the carbonation and ABV are both pretty low. I'd love to get my hands on another bottle of this one - maybe batch #2.

MasterSki, Jul 04, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -14.3%

A: Pours a murky burnt amber with ruby highlights; close to no head, just some medium-to-large tan bubbles that fade to a ring; no lacing.

S: Traces of a distinguishable vinous tartness appear the second the muddled "fizz" burps from under the cap; loads of brett, charred wood,

T: Quite acidic, pungent brown malt flavors and sweet grape peek through then fade towards a medium-dry, woody finish; you can really taste the wine barrel on the end, with lingering traces of brett. Ends kind of tangy, generally speaking

M: Medium bodied; low carbonation; stark acidity helps carry the feel.

D: I'm not a big fan of the Flanders Oud Bruin style, but this is probably one of the more enjoyable ones I've had.

kasper, Jul 04, 2009

Thanks for the bottle, Dyan.

Appearance: Murky, muddy reddish-brown. Pours with a tiny off-white head that disappears pretty quickly; carbonation levels are fairly low.

Smell: Damp, musty basement, tart tannic red wine, some spices, a bit of soap and cardboard. A very muddled beer.

Taste & mouthfeel: Sour and tannic, a bit like grapeskin. Metallic mid-palate with some odd earthy funk. Heavyish body with low carbonation. The finish is somewhat mineral and oxidized, not entirely pleasant. Had this one side-by-side with Cuvee de Castleton, and thought that beer was far superior.

largadeer, Jun 27, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

A big thanks goes out to Dyan for the opportunity to try this limited beer, glad I have you as a trading buddy. Capped and red wax 375ml bottle, Batch No.1

Pours a cloudy tamarind brown with reddish overtones and a few bubbles on top. A thin ring forms around the glass.

Great aroma. A bit sharp and tart on the nose with various fruit aromas and a deep malt complexity. Sour orange, lemon, black cherries, brown sugar, toffee, caramelized malts, light oak, and low vinegar presence. After that first wave I can detect some prunes, plums, sweet and sour raisins, low chocolate notes, and some sherry-like notes all around. There's also a low level of spicy phenols and an equally low level of buttery notes. More plum, black cherry, and prune notes as the beer breathes. Hints of vanilla as well. A few leathery notes increase as the beer warms up. Red grape aroma intensifies as well as some alcohol in the background.

Sweet and tart combination with fruits in the middle, some acidity and acetic flavor, and oak tannins in the finish. Again, lots of sour/tart prune flavors, black cherry, lemon, some pear in the aftertaste, bitter and sour orange, brown sugar, caramel, chocolate, and more oak in the flavor than in the aroma. Grape skins in the aftertaste, almost as if I was chewing them. A little rough in the finish, you can almost taste the alcohol and then there is this bitterness from the oak. Quite acidic but I'm glad the acetic/vinegary characteristic is kept low. Medium-high dryness in the finish. Buttery and oaky in the finish. Some sour green apple flavors later on, as well as some leathery notes. My main complaints with this one is the noticeable alcohol and tannic bitterness in the end, if those two were toned down a bit this beer would be incredible.

Full bodied and medium carbonation with a good level of astringency. After about half of the beer gone, I can feel the acidity of this beer in the pit of my stomach.

Really tasty beer, glad I was able to try it.

seaoflament, May 23, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

Batch 1; Sampled April 2009
A solid pour into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip produces a one-finger thick, fizzy, tan colored head that dissipates fairly quickly. The beer is a dark, murky, plum color that shows a somewhat hazed, dark cherry red color when held up to the light. The aroma smells of sour cherries up front (though not as vibrant as sour pie cherries would be), tart lactic notes, tannic wood aromas, spicy oak and lots of woody plank like character. This is quite fruity smelling, but it is hard to break out the exact fruits that the nose evokes; it seems comprised of aromas like cherry, cranberries, a touch of concord grape character, some currant notes as well as something that is distinctly fruity, but that I can't quite describe. Towards the end of my glass (once the beer has warmed up quite a bit), musty Brettanomyces notes are noticeable with a touch of urea and some sweaty leather notes. The nose has a nice mix of wood and fruit, with a interesting backdrop of funkiness that boosts the complexity quite a bit.

The beer tastes tart as it first hits my tongue and the sourness becomes more gripping as it moves across my palate. The finish is a complex mix of tart, tannic fruit, wood, and berry-like notes. The carbonation adds a fizzy texture and there is also a tannic heft to the body of this beer that adds weight to what would otherwise be a light beer. This beer has an exquisite texture to it because of the oak and fruit; it really clings to the palate, with a texture that is beyond the finishing gravity. The oak adds some nice spiciness as well as an earthiness that is at least somewhat barrel influenced. As the beer warms up a light mustiness becomes noticeable, a touch of barnyard character also becomes noticeable though both are not much beyond a subtle touch.

This is a very nice beer; the grapes add a nice complexity that is boosted by the oak character and the ample, but not quite overwhelming, sourness. This is a nicely balanced beer, though the aroma really needs to warm up quite a bit before it becomes nicely complex from the underlying Brettanomyces influence.

Gueuzedude, May 16, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +15.7%

A: Cloudy brown color with minimal white head that quickly dissipated. No lacing.

S: Tons of lacto. Tons of fruit. Tartness. Red grapes. You do get a hint of oak as well. It came out more as the beer warmed.

T: Gland kicking tartness. This was one of the more tart beers that I had ever had. Amazing complexity though. You get the grapes and other light fruit. Little bit of funk as well.

M: Very crisp and refreshing.

D: Off the charts. This is right up there with the Cuvee for me. I don't think this beer is getting the hype that is deserves. This is a world class American sour.

aerozeppl, May 10, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

Thanks to aerozeppl for cracking this one open. Sampled right after Gargamel.

A: Clear red but cloudy when the tasty yeast is added. Just a touch of white head.

S: Good and tart. Some tart cherries in the background. Not quite tart enough really.

T: Dear Lord!!! My tongue and glands just got assaulted by the tartness. I might press charges. All I know is that someone kicked by glands in the balls and all they left was some cherries and red wine.

M: Thin to medium bodied. Just where it needs to be.

D: It's glandy. Almost 90% of where I want it to be.

drseamus, May 09, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

Got this one from tprokop7, thanks man!

375 ml bottle with a blood red wax seal, poured into a tulip. Batch 1.

Let's just start by saying CL needs to rethink their waxing methods. This reminded me too much of the Southern Tier Gemini nightmare, but worse if you can believe it. It took me at least ten minutes to crack the wax on this with at least three different tools...anyway, on to the beer.

Pours a muddy brown with no head what-so-ever. With no head, you get no lacing...sad looking brew to be honest. Smell is pretty tart; ripe grapes, funky brett, and oak. Some malts and earth in the nose as well with a touch of vinegar. Taste begins with a puckering vinegar punch, fresh rhubarb, and sour apples as well. Midway the smooth malt and leather emerge with a light bretty tingle. The wine flavors really come forward in the aftertaste, and I like it a lot. A light to medium body with an almost lifeless feel in the mouth, although it seems to fit pretty well. I'm not a huge sour freak (yet), but this is just too easy to drink. Another good one from the Captain. Thanks again Todd!

BeerTruth, May 03, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

I got this bottle in a trade with Nutbrown. Thanks Alan!

Batch no.1, waxed and capped bottle.

It pours a very cloudy colour of rust with a tiny head of foam..really just a ring around the glass. There's some lacing and I really like the look of the brew despite the lack of foam.

The smell is nice and sour and reminds me a lot of NB's La Folie except I can easily smell the grapes that are mentioned on the label.

The taste is the wow! Really tart start but about mid palate, I can definitely taste a solid caramel malt backbone that took me by surprise. Big notes of grape and oak with a good note of vanilla follow up and again, wow. At times, the sourness really puckers my mouth but that's not a bad thing at all. I'm loving it. How I acquired a taste for these sour babies I'll never know but I'm certainly glad I did. ;^)

Light bodied and lightly carbonated, it finishes very tart with a last dose of that grapey goodness. There's no abv for this beer that I can find but I'd guess that it was in the ~6% range.

Drinkability? I love well made Oud Bruins/Wild Ales that bring the sour so, for me, this is something I could sit down and "session" with. Easily. Damn, this is good!

Thanks again, Alan, for the chance to try this nectar of the gods!

Bitterbill, Apr 26, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

Bottle into red wine glass, Batch No. 001. Huge thanks to Beerworld for taking care of me!

Pours hazy dark red with lots of brown mixed in. No real head at all.

Nose is lots of red grapes, red wine, oak, very vinous, fairly clean. Some light cider vinegar at work as well underneath. Vanilla, even some caramel malt providing some body. Very nice.

Taste is quite sour up front, lightly acidic, kind of mellow; lots and lots of red grape skins, red wine, some vinegar, but the finish is where this one shines, with a rich, dry, mellow, earthy finish that carries notes of red grapes, oak, cabernet, and yeast.

Edit: I'll go against the grain with this one and say I actually prefer it with the sediment mixed up in it. Mellows the whole experience. Love it.

Mouthfeel is lightly carbonated, though definitely not under-carbonated, some nice acidity at the back of the throat, full bodied.

Very nice beer, and certainly deserving of all the praise heaped on it. Top notch.

JohnQVegas, Apr 25, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +15%

Received this brew from brewdogmrb after the release. Since I read about this brew it was on my target list. Captain Lawrence is amazing and I expect this thing to be bomb.com. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip while watching the '09 Masters.

Batch #1 and perhaps the best looking bottle of beer I've ever encountered. I'm honestly pumping up the beer appearance a half point because the bottle and wax look so elegant.

Appearance- Pours a dark brownish red with hues of yellow around the edges with a fairly small bubbly head that recedes VERY quickly. No cap or collar is left and I can see some fairly aggressive carbonation in the glass as well as some chunks of grapes.
Smell- Very tart with a big green apple presence and plenty of apple cider vinegar. Not as dirty smelling as I was expecting but maybe the Brett hasn't fully sunk in yet. Loads of red and white grapes as well with a quenching smell that makes my mouth immediately water. I get a slight bit of vanilla but not a whole lot of wood from the barrels. Maybe it's hiding under all that extremely pungent acidity that seems to jump out of the glass.
Taste- Starts very tart and somewhat astringent with a VERY vinous character. Cabernet grapes and bing cherries add a crisp tartness and sharp acidity. Not really sour as it's just fleshy and lightly fruity with hints of melon at times. Some horsehair and tobacco add a deep musty earthiness that compliments the sour nicely. The astringency from the grape skins and oak gets damn strong on the finish. Vanilla and caramel ooze out of the oak as the dry, leathery finish just seems to suck the fruit out of your tongue.
Mouthfeel- Light and tannic that is super dry and puckering. Feels lightly crisp at times although the carbonation is very light.
Drinkability- This is definitely the most interesting beer I've had in quite awhile. The oak is fairly strong in the taste but mixed with those grapes it turns into an amazingly dry brew. This beer is very vinous and 350mL isn't nearly enough and that's my only complaint. Thanks much for the opportunity Mike!

younger35, Apr 12, 2009
Rosso E Marrone from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.