Flaming Fury - Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Flaming FuryFlaming Fury

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-13-2009

4.87/5  rDev +11.2%

A- Pours a clear golden yellow with a white head that quickly dissipates to a small ring around the glass.

S- The first aroma that comes to mind is a mildly acetic aroma, but there is a juicy peach aroma backing it up. Hints of lactic sourness come through as well with just a touch of funk. The peach aroma is in the background, but smells of ripe, juicy peaches.

T- This beer tastes like what yellow bus smells like IMHO. SUPER sour, but very juicy. A giant punch in the mouth with lactic and acetic sourness. Hints of cider vinegar and a mild wheaty twang balance one another. The taste of peaches, reminiscent of biting into a fresh, super-ripe peach is balanced by an INTENSE lactic sourness.

M- Bone dry and puckerigly sour. Mmmmm....

D- I think I have an ulcer now, but I don't care. This was delicious. This might be my new favorite beer. (850 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to SMason for the trade. Pours very hazy gold. Almost like peach puree. Bottle was a gusher, but thankfully I had my glass at hand. Lots of white head and lacing all over the glass. One of the better looking brews I've seen. Smells like...sour peaches - very nice. A little hint of sweeter peaches lurking underneath the layer of sour smell. Other reviewers have remarked that there is some leather in the nose too. I agree - pretty interesting. Reminds me of a leather headband I bought at Wall Drug in elementary school on a family vacation. Tastes quite sour, but the funk is very restrained. Bright, fruity, sour, acidic, peach notes jump out on the palate. Very nice and refreshing. Perfect for a hot summer night (or a cold snowy night in Denver, as it is tonight). Body is medium with high carbonation. Great job by Captain Lawrence. If this were from Bruery, Lost Abbey, or Russian River, and of equal rarity, people would be jumping over each other trying to get their hands on it. (997 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Finally getting to review this one after standing in line for about 4 hours and then waiting weeks and weeks because I wanted to give it its due time... Poured into a wine glass.

A: Poured a gentle 1 finger coarse white head that seemingly evaporated into a thin film floating at the top. Brew is a cloudy, pale white/pink grapefruit with patchy lacing.

S: Very floral and so so sour... my palate is in for a shock with this one. Also hints of white grape and alcohol linger towards the end.

T: Starts off relatively malty but transitions into a middle that is just sooo intensely sour it makes me cringe. I can't write down anything after the first sip because I can make out anything else. Second try is a little better. As I get used to the extreme flavor, white grapes start to reveal themselves in the middle followed by a floral hint and distinct peachiness towards the finish in addition to a strikingly quick peak of alcohol.

M: Light to medium bodied and very dry and coarse. Finish is wet and the sourness really lingers with this one, but its good, letting you get used to the brew so its complexity can unfold.

D: Insanely complex and insanely intense. This sour isn't for the faint of heart but its most definitely an enjoyable journey. Really drink here to try to distinguish the different tastes and every sip is different. (1,347 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks to fbm115 for sharing this one.

A - Light in color, very cloudy, yeasty and tons of carbonation

S - Smells of funky, sour

T - This one comes across super sour. It is very light and there are traces of the fruit used, but I could not discern what they were had I not been told. No real hop presence.

M - High carbonation and light in body.

D - I would want to drink a ton of this, but I don't think it would happen as the level of sour would burn my tongue. Fantastic brew. (484 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Thanks beerloco!

Pours an interesting filmy, hazy golden yellow. I don't know if I'd call it beautiful, but certainly unique. Glows a bright gold when held to light. Tiny white crust of bubbles.

Smells like a mixture of both sweet peaches, unripe, sour peaches, oak, and a bit of light funk. Wow. That's a really nice aroma.

**I must admit that I haven't been blown away by Captain Lawrence brews, but this looks like it might be something special. I think the profile on this beer might be a bit low due to the good, but not overwhelming, prior sour efforts on the part of Captain Lawrence.**

And it is! First sip is a bright, exotic zing of peach juice, sour oak and leathery tannin, and a sharp acid twang. As you sip, the supple sweet notes begin to provide some balance, and I swear it's like they managed to get peaches of different levels of maturation in here. Slight taste of leather. Let it linger on the tongue, and the barest hint of barnyard funk peeks out from the sourness.

An exceptionally well balanced, excellent brew. If there's a downside, I do wish it had a bit more carbonation.

I really look forward to trying more of this, and I anticipate the score might go up as it builds carbonation and maybe a bit more funk. In the years to come, particularly if this is the only batch, will be llooked upon as a true "white whale." (1,353 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +4.8%

What a great way to start the weekend.

A: Pours a very cloudy golden orange with only a single layer of foam that rings around the edges of the glass. It look a bit like concentrated peach juice.

S: Some bretty funk up front. Ripe peaches and woodiness are also detectable.

T: Peaches, sour/super right peaches. The fruitiness of it is sour but it has a good level of sweetness that really balances the beer out. The oak gives a nice earthy/woody flavor. As it warm the tartness is much mellower

M: I like that this one does not have any vinegar characteristics. A bit of a rubbery feel. Despite not showing much carbonation, there was some that detectable in the feel. The peach lingers sweetly on the back of my tongue

D: I am going to sip on this one for a while. I like it a bit better on the colder side because the tartness bursted through a bit more. Very drinkable for a sour. Now I am just going to have to get some more. (935 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Split this bottle that I picked up at the release with some friends. When the cap popped, it started to gush quite a bit. Maybe it wasn't cold enough? Be careful.

The pour is an opaque, hazy gold with only some islands of whispy head. This was the first third of the bottle but it had a few white flakes floating throughout from the sediment that was disturbed from the gushing. I wish there was more head here, next time I'll use a flute glass instead of a wide, bowled glass.

The aroma is strong, just like the beer. It has some peach, rubbing alcohol, and some characteristics that give it away as a wild beer. Haystacks, and a bit of mustiness intermingle with the peach to create a nature-like aroma.

The flavor is very very sour, but pleasant. It has less of a funky flavor and more of a sweet and sour candy taste. Think of pixie sticks if they made them in peach flavor. Very intense, this one burns in the finish both because of the sourness and a bit of alcohol.

The mouthfeel has some good fizz, but I think could use more. I'm not sure if that's possible since the bottle exploded already upon opening. The beer is a slow sipper, but does actually have some refreshing character to it. Split this bottle, I think a whole bottle would be more than enough. (1,270 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +3.2%

Batch #1 375ml bottle acquired at the release and poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden with orangina like corners and yields a 1 finger white crown that displays little retention and some lacing.

Smell: A really nice display of peaches, apricots, and nectarines bedded in a strong nest of sourness. Mild funk notes add a dash of complexity but this one is all about sour fruit.

Taste: Nice amount of sourness but the peach notes aren't as dominant as they are in the nose. Again, mild funk notes add a dash of complexity but this one is all about the sour fruit.

Mouthfeel: Lively carbonation and a light body

Drinkability: If you don't have a passion for sours, you probably couldn't drink this beer. It's too tart for the tame of heart!

One of the best Captain Lawrence offerings I've had to date.

Please make more Scott! (848 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip.

A- Pours a hazy deep golden color with a smal; 1/8-1/4" head. Compared with other hazy sours and similar beers, much less light comes through than expected. The head dissipated quite rapidly leaving a nice lacing and maintaining a ring of suds around the edges of the surface of the beer itself.

S- The most predominant initial aroma is that of acidic sourness. Next, I get tart fruits in the nose, which initially seemed more akin to green apples or pears. With a little more time, and getting as much of my face into the glass opening as possible, I started to smell what I would classify as "sour" peaches, which I associate with biting into a peach that is not completely ripened.

T- The flavor of the peaches comes through much more than I had anticipated based on the nose. Similarly, while it is a very sour wild, it is not as mouth puckering as the acidity in the aroma led me to believe. It is not easy to isolate all of the fruits coming through on the palate, but there is a lot more going on in this beer than the mere flavor of peaches alone. Lemony citric acid combined with sour/green apples. As it warms up, the sourness gives way (only in a slight sense, mind you) to the funk of a great wild. This "funk" is not akin to the barnyard funk often attributed to saisons, but rather a cleaner one that pairs nicely with the sour fruits and acidity of the beer. When the sourness departs, the full flavors of the fruit really come through on the back of my palate.

M- A fair amount of carbonation, but not too prickly, which is a problem I have encountered with some other wild/sour ales. Lingers nicely on the tongue leaving a great flavor coating the palate. Even after swallowing a sip, a phenomenal tingle is left stimulating each one of my taste buds.

D- Simply put, this beer is everything that I had hoped it would be after traveling 2 hours to NY from Philadelphia by bus, waking up on a weekend at 7 to catch a 40 minute train to the brewery and then waiting for 4 hours outside (during which time it rained for a period.) I have sampled 5 of the 10 "top examples" of this style (listed on the right side when viewing the beer) and I can confidently say that it competes with all of them and surpasses at least one of them by a long shot. (2,302 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

a little rain on release day wasnt stopping me once i realized how close CL actually is to me...

A - Flaming Fury pours a hazy orange, almost like Orangina, with a thin ring around the glass, some yeasty sediment left the bottle, lots of streams of mini carbonation bubbles

S - the smell is funkalicious and sour of course, that much as to be expected, the fruitiness was prevalent and delectable, peaches definitely, but also an amalgam of orchard fruits, peaches, nectarines, apricots and some super sour grapes

T - up front is a sour citrus (like a lemon warhead candy) and peach flavor, the sour funkiness is also as big and similar to those notes in the aroma and the peach is lingering in the aftertaste

M&D - smooth, medium bodied, and lively on the tongue, super sour, not the most sour beer i have tried, but its up there in the sour category, despite the tartness it is sublimely drinkable, i WILL be attending any CL releases in the future

EDIT: Had on 1/5/13 and it was drinking FANTASTIC! Peach still huge, and the sour strengthens to a vinegary eden! A super experience!! (1,090 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

Thanks to Scott and Greg, I'm going to get to try a beer that I didn't think I would

Light orange with a thin white head that recedes to a ring. Great clarity. The nose is just outrageous. Grassy and sour with a character that reminds me of Hanssens . Peachy with stone fruit, granny Smith apples and cut grass. Very fruity and sour, this is quite awesome, I'm digging the blend of barnyard and fruit. The funk is reserved, mostly barnyard in character, and there isn't much of a delectable stink. The palate opens fruity and very sour with unripened stone fruit (peach, nectarine and raw apricot). Grassy, sour and barnyardy mid palate, there's a harsh solventy character on the finish which is long, dry, sour and a touch fruity. Ligh in body with a high level of carbonation, this still is a little creamy. I'm digging the sourness and fruitiness. Thoroughly enjoyable, I am going to need to track down a bottle or two after the release.

I tried this shortly after an 09 Cable Car, and was a little more impressed with this. If not for the solvent character, I'd up the taste and mouthfeel by 0.5. An excellent beer, nonetheless (1,133 characters)

Flaming Fury from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.