Imperial Smoked Porter - Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Imperial Smoked Porter
No picture uploaded.

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. visit their website
New York, United States

American Porter |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Billolick on 08-03-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

JAHMUR, Nov 14, 2011

djrn2, Nov 14, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

black with a small tan, caramel colored head that did not have much staying power. Low retention led to a quick fade to a skim layer on top and a smll amount of lace.

Big smoked flavors were the predominant course here. Small hint at some sugary sweetness and perhaps a bit of a bittering hop in their at the end. But just about anything in there would have been overwhelmed by the absolutly absurdly strong smoked flavors.

Tons of flavors in the back here, but I think this may need to sit down for a few to get the strong aromas to mellow and allow some more of the subtle stuff to come though. Great, really light frothy carbonation left the palate feeling cleansed and refreshed. A slight bittering hop could be found in the finish and and a long lingering flavor that I could still taste several hours later!

overall like a chocolate campfire. wonderfully well done and just about as solid as you can get for the style.

mikesgroove, Jul 11, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

On tap at Lazy Boy Saloon. Owner is such a cool dude. He gives Jlynn a free pint of bluepoint blueberry and me a free la choufee tulip with my KBS to go in a bottle. Really knows his beer. Recommended me a Keedhan Ale Jo Mama's milk stout that was bangin. He also hand out a nice Brooklyn Bottle opener. On to the review. Poured into a 12 ounce glass.

A Black body with a nice brown head. This porter looks like me with my shirt off... BigTyme.

S Smoke, Roasted Oats, Sugar, Chocolate, smells like roasting marsh mellows around a campfire with a bowl of oatmeal.

T Smokey, chocolate covered roasted oats. Wow this flavor is intense. I haven't had many smokes porters besides the stone smoke porter. The smoke in this one blows the stone away. I feel like I'm hanging out by a bonfire with this one. Very interesting.

M Huge flavor profile. Overwhelms the palate in a good way. Very full bodied especially for a porter.

O Easy to drink for the huge smokey flavor and high abv. I was definitely feeling it after this one. CL has really gotten me interested in smoked porters. I'll have to see more out.

DNICE555, Apr 11, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

A- Pours a opaque black with a beautiful hue of brown on top. Head is a tan color but dissipates quickly. Good looking porter. Decent amount of alcohol in the nose.

S- Big roasted burnt aromas. Reminds of how my clothes smell like after a night of hanging around a camp fire. Also some sugars and chocolate in the background. Very welcoming aroma.

T- Huge flavors. Raisin's , chocolate and roasted malts coat the mouth. This one has a very smooth taste with a sufficient bite on the finish. Very balanced.

M- Nice medium body coats the palate leaving a pleasing aftertaste. Very smooth and drinkable.

O- Very drinkable porter with awesome flavor and great balance. This is definitely one of my favorite porters so far. Cheers Captain Lawrence !

Brianjames16, Apr 02, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -16.7%

Growler popped open by the mean Mr. Thorpe, ESQ. Thanks.

Beer is dark brown, mostly clear, almost ruby at the corners. Thin tan head, breaks, mild lacing on the glass, low to moderate carbonation.

Beer smells a bit hot, but mostly like smoke, yum.

This beer would be better if it would calm down a bit, it's a little too hot throughout. I suppose since this is the new base beer for the barrels there it doesn't matter that it's a little hot, it will sit around for months in the barrels anyway. Medium in body, dry finish, lots of smoke in there, some roastiness at the back. I'd definitely want to try the new aged versions of this beer but the base is a little underwhelming.

drabmuh, Mar 21, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -19%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Growler shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

The beer appears a dark brown color with hints of crimson. The head is a light tan hue and leaves a fair bit of lacing on the glass. The nose brings smoke, roast, and booze. The flavor is decent, with alcohol prominent throughout. Smoke is the primary flavor element, with alcohol and roast coming in behind. The feel is medium bodied and slightly hot on the palate. Overall, a decent beer, but I prefer smoke beers / rauchbiers to be easier drinking and lighter on the palate.

Huhzubendah, Mar 20, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +12.4%

Thanks to jrallen34 for popping this one open.

A - Solid black beer with a finger of tan foam that left a little bit of lace behind.

S - A great smoke smell on top of an awesome buttery and chocolatey malt smell. Truly great smelling beer with roast, smoke, malt, chocolate, awesome.

T - Taste is just fantastic. A great smoke taste on top of roasted malts and chocolate, some butter and just the perfect hints of dark fruit. Not sure how to improve on this one.

M - Fuller bodied with some good carbonation.

D - Can't believe this is 12%, love this beer and can't get enough. Just about perfect.

AgentZero, Mar 16, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -10.6%

From 03/05/11 notes. Growler shared by Thorpe429; thanks Mike!

a - Pours a dark brown color with one inch of tan head and low carbonation evident.

s - Smells of smoke, bitter chocolate, roasted malts, and toasted malts.

t - Tastes of chocolate, roasted malts, sweet fruit, and smokey malts.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - Overall I thought this was a really good smoked porter. I think I liked it a little better than their normal Pleasantville smoked porter and would definitely have it again. I'm really interested in trying the new SFTO series as I feel this would be a really good base beer.

mdfb79, Mar 14, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -15.6%

Huge, huge thanks to capra12 for grabbing me a growler of this from DeCicco's. This one has been a longtime coming and I'm glad Jon was finally able to grab this for me. Served in a Bruery tulip.

Pours near black with a good light tan head and a bit of lacing as it falls down the glass. The nose brings some night roast and light chocolate and also a bit of a mild coffee presence. Behind this comes a moderate amount of smokiness. Nothing too complex or in your face, but it's certainly there. The flavor also has smoke as the dominant characteristic, though it doesn't overwhelm or wow me. Similarly, the background notes come together cohesively, but don't really stand out too much. Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation and moderate dry smokiness in the finish. Drinkability was quite good. Hard to believe this was 12%. I'd love to revisit this one eventually to see if there's something I'm missing.

Thorpe429, Mar 08, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

I can't thank Dave (cavedave) enough for a 64oz growler of this one. Poured into my New Belgium globe.

A - Pours a dark, dark black with mahogany hues around the edges. About a 1 finger mocha colored head that resides to the surface fairly quickly. A small amount of lacing remains. I hope this beer tastes as good as it looks.

S - SMOKE. The nose is truly exceptional with all of these big smoky aromas. It reminds me of sitting around a campfire. It smells like salty, cooked meats. While the smoke and salty meats dominate, there are undertones of bittersweet chocolate and roasted coffee.

T - The taste is akin to the smell. Big smoky and salty flavors up front. The chocolate comes through more on the taste than it did in the aromas. The smoke has a very clean taste to it. Only the slightest amount of alcohol comes through as the beer warms. Simply amazing.

M - Medium-high mouthfeel with a low carbonation, a perfect amount to let all of the flavors shine through. Nice creamy finish.

D - Very high drinkability. I personally love the smoky taste, but can see how it may be overwhelming to some. I would LOVE to have this beer available at all times.

Like another reviewer said, this beer is damn near perfect. Really glad that I got to try this one.

kevinv, Feb 27, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

Review #1200. Huge thanks to Sean for acquiring a 32oz growler of this one, after I missed out on it earlier. Served in a Heady Topper glass.

A - Pours with a finger-plus of dark tan foam that settles to a near-complete thin cap and thick big-bubbled ring. Not much in the way of lace, but it's a solid, dark, dark brown body.

S - Smoke and buttery cocoa are initially at the forefront, but as it warms there is more caramel, meat and hickory, and milk chocolate. Like a maple-glazed ham drenched in butter with a side of chocolate.

T - Smoked meats and a slight hammy quality to it. Milk chocolate, some nice residual coffee bitterness, and shockingly no alcohol. I did a double-take when I saw this was listed at 12%. I would have guessed 8-9% at most.

M - Smooth medium body, nice soft tingly carbonation, lightly tannic and smoky finish. Maybe a touch light for the alcohol, but since you can't taste there isn't much incongruity.

D - This is a really good beer. Why do they ruin most of it by making Smoke from the Oak? Shockingly drinkable for a 12% smoked porter.

MasterSki, Feb 06, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -11%

Served in a tulip at Bridge View Tavern, Sleepy Hollow, NY.

a: very dark with nice dense head that fell away within minutes

s: roasted grain, smoke

t: very nice. very very smokey (I would actually like it a bit better if it were not so heavily smokey, but I guess that's the point of this beer). complex dark fruit appearing in the background as it warms.

m: not too heavy, which was nice. well balanced

d: pretty good especially for such an in-your-face beer.

jpoder, Dec 31, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -8.7%

Served in a Duvel Green tulip at Bridge View Tavern, Sleepy Hollow, NY.

A: Very Dark, 35+ SRM for sure with a nice coffee colored head.

S: Very smokey; A pretty dry toasty flavor. Not a very sweet nose.

T: Roasty with a good BU:GU ratio.

M: Carbonated to style. Not too heavy.

D: Roastiness and the high ABV do not make this a light drink. Smooth and heavy, great for cold weather.

jrbuch, Dec 28, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Thanks to Jason for this one. 22oz CP bottle from Bierkraft which was poured into a Darkness snifter.

A - Pours black, mocha-colored head, two fingers. Some sticky lacing along the sides of the glass and a nice cap remains on top after the initial pour. Picture pefect.

S - Bacon, holy jeez. Milk/dark chocolate, smokey richness, some slight woody/oak. Very rice, bold, in-your-face.

T - Much like the nose. Chocolate, oak, bacon, smoked richness. No real alcohol at all...it's hidden very well. Sweet in the end. Just f'n good.

M - Medium to full, rich and smooth, creamy finish.

D - No real flaws in this beer and quite possibly the best porter I've ever had the pleasure of drinking. Just solid. A fine example and I can see why it's rated so highly. Excellent...get you some.

Sean9689, Nov 11, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

650 counter pressurized bottle from BierKraft, another huge thanks to hoppy...A dark black pour with about four fingers of head, falls pretty quickly. The head is a bright light tan, ok lacing...A super strong aroma of salty bacon and smoke, its awesome...The taste is equally amazing, the salted pork comes through strongly with smoke, but what sets this apart is the complexity brought about by the addition of some sweet chocolate, which just takes this too a whole new level. Unreal smooth chocolately finish. An unreal feel and super easy to drink.

I really hate to throw this term around, but this beer is almost perfect in every way. Get this beer.

jrallen34, Nov 11, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

Another good one from CL. From what I understand this is the base for the SFTO beers (before the barrels) Appearance is nice and black with a couple fingers of head on it. Smell is super smokey, reminds me of a barbecue. The taste is phenomenal if you like smokey beers. Really really nice smokeyness in the nose and the mouth, lots of roasted malt. Mouthfeel is slightly creamy with a nice smokey aftertaste. This is a big beer but I consider it pretty drinkable, althow im sure a lot of people will consider this one a slow sipper. Very enjoyable

drewd0g, Oct 29, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -13.3%

The new base for the SFTO

A: Very black color. By very black I mean this thing let no light into it at all. A little bit of brownish head.

S: The beer smells like a rauch. Tons of smoke and even a little bit of the elusive bacon. More smoke. A little bit of chocolate but the smoke really dominated this one.

T: Smoke. See what I am getting at. Astringent. Little bit of chocolate. Smoke. Smoke. It was enjoyable but this is a smokey beer.

M: Medium body. Thinner than I would have thought. The carbonation was light.

D: Really different. This is going to be the new base for the SFTO so I do not know if this will be available as a regular beer. As a smoked porter it kind of falls. Too over the top. Now as the base for a barrel aged beer I am exited. This has enough smoke to keep some of the bad bugs at bay. I found it hard to get through a snifter by myself. Throw this in a wine/rum/bourbon/brandy barrel for a while and that will fix itself.

aerozeppl, Oct 02, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

a: Black with dark tan head
s: Initial heavy smoke, dark malts and roast, chocolate.
t: Totally delicious and rich, but not overpowering, smoked malt, followed by a sweet, almost berry-like flavor and chocolate as it warms up (reminds me a bit of Hunahpu's chocolate profile).
m: Creamy and smooth with low carbonation that's just right.
d: Goes down really easily and alcohol is quite well hidden.

Terrific. One of the Captain's best and one of the best porters I've had. Scott is really stepping it up now.

billyshears, Oct 01, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Growler from DeCicco's into a Duvel tulip.

A: Black body with reddish-brown highlights and a finger of creamy brown head; decent retention and nice delicate lace. Very impressive, especially from a growler.

S: Rich smoke and sweet malts. It's straightforward, one-dimensional, and great.

T: Starts with nice, bacony campfire smoke, and quickly broadens into a tapestry of beautifully complex malt notes - caramel, toffee, chocolate, and coffee. The bitter coffee joins with booze and maybe even a bit of hops on the remarkably clean finish. The aftertaste is a bit too boozy for me, but that's the only fault to be found. Very, very tasty.

M: Substantial medium body with fairly low, but very smooth, carbonation. Lovely for the style.

D: As great as this is, I'm glad I had help with the growler.

Notes: Yet another great beer from one of my favorite breweries. I wish they would make this a regular offering, as I enjoyed it far, far more than their regular smoked porter - so much more depth and complexity. I'd love to try it side-by-side with Alaskan Smoked Porter - it would be a close battle, and I'm not sure who would win. I think the CL has a slight edge flavor-wise, but the Alaskan beer is eminently smooth and drinkable. It would be a good night of drinking.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Sep 24, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +5%

Fortunately, this beer has done me well. No life crises induced, no depressing beer fanatic moments, just some solid taste that makes me smile. I got it in a growler from Bierkraft in Brooklyn and poured into a pint glass. As the guy described it: "Man, the smoke in there is like a football field was filled with tires set on fire and then all at once put out... then they trapped that smoke and put it in this beer". So... yeah, it's bad ass.

Appearance: Dark and rich, very portly. (I have a small vocabulary). Rich lacing.

Smell: Smoke. And ... barbeque? I'm a vegetarian and eating, er, drinking this beer makes me feel like I've sinned.

Taste: Along the same lines. Sinful. There's a rich and creamy sweetness to it, plus meatiness, and some pleasant hints of chocolate and other good stuff.

Mouthfeel: Total.

Drinkability: High. And not overdone with alcohol, so you don't feel like you should apologize after drinking it (although maybe you should).

11/3/2010 Update: After having this a second time, it might be too smoky for me. I like barbeque, but this is like sitting inside of one.

afksports, Sep 19, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

Had on tap at Mirabelle Tavern, Stony Brook NY on September 17. Served in a chalice.

Look: very dark brown, almost black (albeit kinda hard to tell because of the lighting in the place). Thin, dark head that leaves a lot of lacing.

Smell: kinda boozy. There's some woodiness, molasses and smoke.

Taste: roasted malt up front along with some smokiness and a little alcohol bite to it.

Feel: heavy bodied for a porter (if I was blind tasting this I would've thought "stout"). Carbonation was almost non-existent.

Drink: this is the weak point of the beer. The heavy body and bite of the alcohol makes this an impossible session beer.

Overall, it was fairly enjoyable and I'm glad I had it but I would probably not have again. Worth trying if it is available to you.

SkunkWorks, Sep 18, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -1.8%

Growler purchased at DeCicco's.

Appearance: Pours super dark brown to black with a 1 finger dull khaki crown that displays moderate retention and lace.

Smell: Lots of smoked oak, black strap molasses, not quite bacon like but a hint of umami is present.

Taste: Dark roasted malt note up front that also bares a hint of bitterness along with a strong smoke punch. Now I'm not saying this is hitting Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock proportions (it isn't) but the smoke is defintely present. Smoke note finishes fairly long.

Mouthfeel: On the light side of heavy bodied with moderate carbonation. Fairly slick.

Drinkability: The mouthfeel isn't a huge hurdle but I couldn't drink this all night long either.

koopa, Sep 14, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +8.3%

32oz growler > tulip glass.

A - Silky shiny black with a thin mocha head with sticky lacing.

S - Campfire. I've never smelled a beer that had such a deep smokey smell. Really fantastic. Also malty, a bit chocolatey and creamy with a touch of licorice or gummy bear. Overall though...smoky campfire!

T - The smoke is at the forefront. Chocolatey roasted malts. Very rich in flavor. Alc is pretty well hidden, except for the tingle in my mouth.

M - Alc bite although absent in the taste...is there in feel, but overall the smokiness dominates everything about this beer. Pretty silky as it goes down.

D - Possibly the best Capt Lawrence beer I've ever had and probably the best porter I've ever had as well. That being said, it is a really rich and thick beer as well which makes this one not big for volume drinking.

cosmicevan, Sep 12, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from 64oz growler into 22oz snifter.

Appearance-This is the blackest porter I've ever seen right off the bat and it pours with that slick motor oil consistency I usually associate with an RIS. A small head rises but quickly bubbles away.

Aroma-Smoke upfront of an almost peaty variety but it's by no means overwhelming, coffee and caramel undertones with a clean roastiness. No alcohol that I can smell.

Taste-Dark chocolatey malts upfront followed quickly by roasty, peaty smoke, as a reviewer before me put it this 'isn't bacon smoke' but has far more in common with the kind of smokiness you find in a peaty Scotch. Some coffee notes as well but they're an undercurrent, the big players are the chocolaty malts and the smoke which last clean and straight forward all the way to the end. After the finish the smoke leaves a nice smokey aftertaste, again, like a good peaty Scotch. Amazing, just jaw droppingly awesome.

Mouthfeel-Rich, syrupy, almost chewy with low carbonation; a perfect blanket for the peaty smoke.

Drinkability-Zero alcohol presence plus additively sip-inducing flavors make this dangerous on the drinkability scale.

Notes-Captain Lawrence was under the radar for me for awhile, none of their brews ever really 'wowed' me...until now. This beer is amazing a peat-lover and a dark malt lover's dream beer.

Manoftyr, Sep 10, 2010
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Imperial Smoked Porter from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.