Laughing Dog India Pale Ale - Laughing Dog Brewing

Laughing Dog India Pale AleLaughing Dog India Pale Ale

good

Laughing Dog Brewing visit their website
Idaho, United States

A profound love of hops and big brews led to our IPA. A little over the top it is a hophead’s dream come true. An Intense hop aroma and Malty body are followed by a smooth clean finish.

Generous amounts of Pacific Northwest malted barley along with some of the best hops from the fields of Yakima have come together to create an IPA that is very hoppy but very balanced with complex malt flavors.

Served Cool not ice cold so as not to subdue the hop aroma this is the beer that says don't mess with me I’m a BAD DOG.

(Beer added by: woemad on 01-23-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Norm406

10-24-2013 02:51:14 | More by Norm406
BigDaftAl

4.75/5  rDev +30.1%

04-08-2012 02:34:08 | More by BigDaftAl
bmxatv

4.7/5  rDev +28.8%

Is it me or does this beer taste likes it's brewed with hemp? Strong smell of hops that I would easily mistake for pot. It smelled like pot, tasted like pot and when I asked my buddy to try it, he got it to his nose and said, "Dude it smells like herb". Highly drinkable, not to dry of a finish and floral with a very nice balance. This might just be my new favorite IPA.

08-11-2008 18:24:55 | More by bmxatv

06-18-2014 01:43:52 | More by sunshinethewolf
Risser09

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%

12oz bottle poured into a mexican tulip - Fridge temp - 2008

Appearance: Slightly hazy golden orange and yellow color with slow moving carbonation going to the surface. A tall 3" cream head has great retention and plenty of lace. Nice.

Smell: Base malt and a mineral hop aroma. Slight pine and grapefruit. Floral rose finish.

Taste: Lots of pine bitterness that is sort of soapy tasting. It's not a bad flavor though. Sweet initially of honey, flowers, followed by pine, lemon and minerals. Pretty good and original.

Mouthfeel: Bitter. Sweet. A light alcohol burn. Medium body and smooth to swallow. Lingering bitterness.

Drinkability: This is a great beer. The taste takes some getting used to , but is quite nice. I would take this one over many of the mainstream IPAs. Try it!

01-06-2009 13:18:02 | More by Risser09
woodychandler

4.26/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

The CANQuest (TM) is on a roll tonight, kids! This is the second CANsecutive beer that I have been the first to review in/from a CAN! I CAN hardly believe it, but sometimes The CANQuest (TM) takes new and unexpected turns.

From the CAN: "Brewed & CANned by Laughing Dog Brewing Co."; "Cluster * Cascade * Citra * Simcoe"; "Our IPA is a result of our profound love of hops and bold brews. A combination of Cluster, Cascade, Citra and Simcoe hops create a piney, citrus aroma and flavor."

My tongue was hanging out like the dog's in anticipation of this one, lemme tell ya! I heard a nice, loud Crack and it was time to employ the dreaded inverted Glug. I am using one of my two CAN glasses, a glass shaped to mimic the shape of a 12-ounce aluminum CAN and if you have not seen one yet, they are perfect for both CANs in general and the inverted Glug/pour in particular. I was faced with two-plus fingers of dense, French Vanilla-colored head that was going to have great retention, so I leaned in for a sniff. Hello! Pine was the prevalent aroma, but underlain with tropical fruits, not citrus as in grapefruit, at least not on the nose. The hophead junkie in me reverted to form as the dog lay at my feet. I whipped off my belt, looped it around my arm, tied off and hunted for a viable vein. I just kept sniffing away at it, awaiting the head to fall, leaving some incredible lacing in its wake as it did so. Soon the dog caught on and he had his nose in there, sniffing around. Good boy! Color was a deep golden-yellow (SRM = > 7, < 9), with NE-quality clarity, but the unholy trio of Mammon, Croesus and King Midas did not hang around when they saw the dog. I am not a bg fan of dogs, either, but beer trumps fright in my case. I pushed the dog out of the way, got the spike in and laid back as the first wave danced across my tongue and through my vein. The dog took this as his cue to start lapping at the leftovers. Now, he's whimpering and his tail is shaking like he is passing a bone. Ha! This is beer for professionals, m'boy. The mouthfeel was full, thanks to a LOT of tiny bubbles in evidence. The taste was subtle, very tropical fruit, but not overwhelming. I was getting mango and coconut, especially. The finish was semi-dry with the pine making an appearance at the end, just to remind me that it was there. I am always on the lookout for CANned AIPAs to put in the cooler, especially on Hula in the Coola Day (01 Feb, annually) and this would definitely fit the bill. CAN somebody get the dog to stop chewing on my arm?!?

The following is my original bottle review, dtd 07-28-2012

I am incredulous that I have not previously reviewed this beer. I was in Idaho in July 2007 and drank a lot of Laughing Dog beers on-tap. This must not have been one of them. I think that this one came to me courtesy of local IP trader, tone77.

Loads of carbonation evident! I popped the cap and was getting some foam coming up through the neck, then when I began my pour, the foam was massive, forcing me to back off. I had another massive French Vanilla-colored head, resembling the top of an ice cream cone. Color was a hazy orangish-amber. Nose was redolent with grapefruit/citrus hops. Mouthfeel was medium with a big citrus hop presence up front, underlain by a caramel malt sweetness. Finish was dry, hoppy, very satisfying. Why does the dog have to laugh at me, though?

Serving type: can

12-07-2013 01:44:04 | More by woodychandler
NJpadreFan

Laughing Dog- IPA

On tap at Isaac Newton's- Newtown, PA

A- Deep reddish orange with a huge frothy head. Good solid lacing.
S- Deep oily pine hops, varnish alcohol, and a good thick sugary malt base.
T- Good thick caramel malt starts this 1 off. it quickly opens into a big grapefruit rind/ fresh green pine hops body. Slight alcohol present.
M- Thick and malty up front with sweet bitter hops carrying this one through.

Overall- Man, this was a damn good IPA on tap! The flavors were big and bold! If this is how Idaho rolls then send more to the North East!

09-16-2008 20:34:41 | More by NJpadreFan

Mississippi

08-08-2012 12:24:57 | More by jkermitj
ElGordo

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden-orange color topped by a small, creamy white head. Nice, crisp aroma as soon as the bottle opens and builds as the beer is poured. Spicy, piney floral hops dominate, with a hint of sweet malt in the background. Palate is sharply hoppy up front, with notes of pine and grapefruit. A bit of sweet malt balances the hops mid-palate before receding again at the lingering bitter finish. Body is just thick and sticky enough to be a near-perfect conveyer of all the lupulin in this excellent IPA. Wish I had purchased more than a single bottle.

05-07-2007 04:33:26 | More by ElGordo
jakon

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

12oz bottle purchased for $9.99/6 on 6-8-8 at Whole Foods Portland.

This beer pours an orange/light garnet hue with a nice burnt orange head.

The aroma reminds me of a smaller American barleywine. Specifically, it's reminiscent of Old Ruffian. Pine, marshmallow, caramel, orange peel, lime and grapefruit all shine through.

Wow, the taste is very nice. This is a very balanced, highly drinkable IPA. It really does remind me of a barleywine, only much smaller. Very big on the malts for an IPA. The bitterness is smooth rather than sharp and biting. Very enjoyable.

Carbonation is on the lower side.

06-10-2008 02:43:46 | More by jakon
hosehead83

4.16/5  rDev +14%

Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a standard pint glass
Clear gold in color, with a big, two-nch head of white foam
Aroma-Piney hops, spicy note
Taste-Piney hops, toasted malt that just manages to acquire a semblance of balance, followed by a long, lingering bitterness that follows to the finish. Bright and bitter this IPA would shine with a spicy food pairing.

03-31-2013 22:27:00 | More by hosehead83
IPAguy2009

4.08/5  rDev +11.8%

Picked this 6 pack for about $9.50, very reasonable price for a 6 pack of headys. I really enjoy this brewery and loved their 10.85% imperial IPA devil dog that sold for a stunning $3.79! Sadly the store I got that from no longer carrys it...anyways here we go!

A- pours a hazy deep yellow orange coppery color. Looks thick and tasty. Not too much lacing, but then again I used a frozen stein mug.

S- it smells just like the devil dog! Hard to describe as it has its own very original laughing dog smell. Smells amazing! Yeasty and sweet bready malt! Slight pine

T- pretty much the smell of this beer is what it also tastes like with late bittery hops sticking around.

M- actually pretty thick feeling, I wouldn't grab this beer for a thirst quencher. Pretty light carbonation. This beer is a bit of a meal.

O- great great IPA! Not an IPA that will punch u in the face w/hops (not that that's bad) but yet an IPA that focuses more on the malt side. Anyone know the abv?? Why is it a mystery? Haha. Yet another big thumbs up from me! Pick it up!

12-19-2011 06:04:49 | More by IPAguy2009
genog

4.08/5  rDev +11.8%

pours a beautiful amber orange color with a thick and generous 4" creamy thick off white head. Lacing is left splattered all along the side of the glass. Smell is of delicious hops. Pine and earthy hops mesh together to remind me of a holiday aroma. Taste is bitter all the way through, not harsh but just a smooth bittering followed by a very creamy texture.

11-19-2007 01:42:28 | More by genog
PlaywrightSam

4.08/5  rDev +11.8%

22 oz bomber picked up at Rosauers in Moscow, ID. A: Cloudy orange with a touch of amber, moderate amount of head with some lacing. S: Pretty clean citrus hops, some floral, caramel malt sweetness. T: Some lighter maltiness up front, mildly sweet, some really nice floral hops in a nicely dry, long finish. Really opens up as I continue through the bottle. M: Medium to thick body, very nicely carbonated, crisp. D: I'm an Idaho native, so I'm biased toward an Idaho brewery, but this is a very nice beer. Really wonderful balance, very drinkable. I wish I could get it in NYC.

01-10-2008 08:39:07 | More by PlaywrightSam
mactrail

Washington

4.05/5  rDev +11%

Robust white foam on the golden amber brew in the De Proef tulip. Hugely aromatic with fruity and flowery hops. The mouthfeel is sprightly.

This is a lusty big IPA that is not overly bitter. The label lists the hops as Cluster, Cascade, Citra, and Simcoe, and the ABV is 6.2%. The fruity hop flavors are delightful. It could be a double IPA with all the aromatics, but it is just generously flavored without the excesses. Well balanced with just enough sweet malty.

The canned version seems to date from the end of 2013. Overall, this seems like an improvement, and it's a highly drinkable IPA. From the 12 oz can purchased at Special Brews in Lynnwood, Washington.

Serving type: can

07-15-2014 05:30:06 | More by mactrail
KomodoDragon

4.05/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

A - Picturesque sunset gold, crystal clear, Uneven off white head.

S - Grassy. And a strong, yet welcomed, basil smell.

T - Immediate spice and some nut flavoring, crisp finish. I had to keep checking the ABV, cause there is a light feel. Great flavors, albeit a bit basic.

M - Wishing it was more creamy and smooth. It's not

Solid, simple, summer fare IPA. No WOW - delicious enough in winter. Why can't more breweries adhere to this approach?

02-15-2013 04:51:47 | More by KomodoDragon