2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Laughing Dog India Pale Ale - Laughing Dog Brewing

Laughing Dog India Pale AleLaughing Dog India Pale Ale

good

Laughing Dog Brewing visit their website
Idaho, United States

A profound love of hops and big brews led to our IPA. A little over the top it is a hophead’s dream come true. An Intense hop aroma and Malty body are followed by a smooth clean finish.

Generous amounts of Pacific Northwest malted barley along with some of the best hops from the fields of Yakima have come together to create an IPA that is very hoppy but very balanced with complex malt flavors.

Served Cool not ice cold so as not to subdue the hop aroma this is the beer that says don't mess with me I’m a BAD DOG.

(Beer added by: woemad on 01-23-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 145 | Reviews: 71 | Show All Ratings:
bmxatv

4.7/5  rDev +29.5%

Is it me or does this beer taste likes it's brewed with hemp? Strong smell of hops that I would easily mistake for pot. It smelled like pot, tasted like pot and when I asked my buddy to try it, he got it to his nose and said, "Dude it smells like herb". Highly drinkable, not to dry of a finish and floral with a very nice balance. This might just be my new favorite IPA.

08-11-2008 18:24:55 | More by bmxatv
Risser09

4.4/5  rDev +21.2%

12oz bottle poured into a mexican tulip - Fridge temp - 2008

Appearance: Slightly hazy golden orange and yellow color with slow moving carbonation going to the surface. A tall 3" cream head has great retention and plenty of lace. Nice.

Smell: Base malt and a mineral hop aroma. Slight pine and grapefruit. Floral rose finish.

Taste: Lots of pine bitterness that is sort of soapy tasting. It's not a bad flavor though. Sweet initially of honey, flowers, followed by pine, lemon and minerals. Pretty good and original.

Mouthfeel: Bitter. Sweet. A light alcohol burn. Medium body and smooth to swallow. Lingering bitterness.

Drinkability: This is a great beer. The taste takes some getting used to , but is quite nice. I would take this one over many of the mainstream IPAs. Try it!

01-06-2009 13:18:02 | More by Risser09
woodychandler

4.26/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

The CANQuest (TM) is on a roll tonight, kids! This is the second CANsecutive beer that I have been the first to review in/from a CAN! I CAN hardly believe it, but sometimes The CANQuest (TM) takes new and unexpected turns.

From the CAN: "Brewed & CANned by Laughing Dog Brewing Co."; "Cluster * Cascade * Citra * Simcoe"; "Our IPA is a result of our profound love of hops and bold brews. A combination of Cluster, Cascade, Citra and Simcoe hops create a piney, citrus aroma and flavor."

My tongue was hanging out like the dog's in anticipation of this one, lemme tell ya! I heard a nice, loud Crack and it was time to employ the dreaded inverted Glug. I am using one of my two CAN glasses, a glass shaped to mimic the shape of a 12-ounce aluminum CAN and if you have not seen one yet, they are perfect for both CANs in general and the inverted Glug/pour in particular. I was faced with two-plus fingers of dense, French Vanilla-colored head that was going to have great retention, so I leaned in for a sniff. Hello! Pine was the prevalent aroma, but underlain with tropical fruits, not citrus as in grapefruit, at least not on the nose. The hophead junkie in me reverted to form as the dog lay at my feet. I whipped off my belt, looped it around my arm, tied off and hunted for a viable vein. I just kept sniffing away at it, awaiting the head to fall, leaving some incredible lacing in its wake as it did so. Soon the dog caught on and he had his nose in there, sniffing around. Good boy! Color was a deep golden-yellow (SRM = > 7, < 9), with NE-quality clarity, but the unholy trio of Mammon, Croesus and King Midas did not hang around when they saw the dog. I am not a bg fan of dogs, either, but beer trumps fright in my case. I pushed the dog out of the way, got the spike in and laid back as the first wave danced across my tongue and through my vein. The dog took this as his cue to start lapping at the leftovers. Now, he's whimpering and his tail is shaking like he is passing a bone. Ha! This is beer for professionals, m'boy. The mouthfeel was full, thanks to a LOT of tiny bubbles in evidence. The taste was subtle, very tropical fruit, but not overwhelming. I was getting mango and coconut, especially. The finish was semi-dry with the pine making an appearance at the end, just to remind me that it was there. I am always on the lookout for CANned AIPAs to put in the cooler, especially on Hula in the Coola Day (01 Feb, annually) and this would definitely fit the bill. CAN somebody get the dog to stop chewing on my arm?!?

The following is my original bottle review, dtd 07-28-2012

I am incredulous that I have not previously reviewed this beer. I was in Idaho in July 2007 and drank a lot of Laughing Dog beers on-tap. This must not have been one of them. I think that this one came to me courtesy of local IP trader, tone77.

Loads of carbonation evident! I popped the cap and was getting some foam coming up through the neck, then when I began my pour, the foam was massive, forcing me to back off. I had another massive French Vanilla-colored head, resembling the top of an ice cream cone. Color was a hazy orangish-amber. Nose was redolent with grapefruit/citrus hops. Mouthfeel was medium with a big citrus hop presence up front, underlain by a caramel malt sweetness. Finish was dry, hoppy, very satisfying. Why does the dog have to laugh at me, though?

Serving type: can

12-07-2013 01:44:04 | More by woodychandler
NJpadreFan

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

Laughing Dog- IPA

On tap at Isaac Newton's- Newtown, PA

A- Deep reddish orange with a huge frothy head. Good solid lacing.
S- Deep oily pine hops, varnish alcohol, and a good thick sugary malt base.
T- Good thick caramel malt starts this 1 off. it quickly opens into a big grapefruit rind/ fresh green pine hops body. Slight alcohol present.
M- Thick and malty up front with sweet bitter hops carrying this one through.

Overall- Man, this was a damn good IPA on tap! The flavors were big and bold! If this is how Idaho rolls then send more to the North East!

09-16-2008 20:34:41 | More by NJpadreFan
ElGordo

4.22/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden-orange color topped by a small, creamy white head. Nice, crisp aroma as soon as the bottle opens and builds as the beer is poured. Spicy, piney floral hops dominate, with a hint of sweet malt in the background. Palate is sharply hoppy up front, with notes of pine and grapefruit. A bit of sweet malt balances the hops mid-palate before receding again at the lingering bitter finish. Body is just thick and sticky enough to be a near-perfect conveyer of all the lupulin in this excellent IPA. Wish I had purchased more than a single bottle.

05-07-2007 04:33:26 | More by ElGordo
jakon

4.22/5  rDev +16.3%

12oz bottle purchased for $9.99/6 on 6-8-8 at Whole Foods Portland.

This beer pours an orange/light garnet hue with a nice burnt orange head.

The aroma reminds me of a smaller American barleywine. Specifically, it's reminiscent of Old Ruffian. Pine, marshmallow, caramel, orange peel, lime and grapefruit all shine through.

Wow, the taste is very nice. This is a very balanced, highly drinkable IPA. It really does remind me of a barleywine, only much smaller. Very big on the malts for an IPA. The bitterness is smooth rather than sharp and biting. Very enjoyable.

Carbonation is on the lower side.

06-10-2008 02:43:46 | More by jakon
hosehead83

4.16/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a standard pint glass
Clear gold in color, with a big, two-nch head of white foam
Aroma-Piney hops, spicy note
Taste-Piney hops, toasted malt that just manages to acquire a semblance of balance, followed by a long, lingering bitterness that follows to the finish. Bright and bitter this IPA would shine with a spicy food pairing.

03-31-2013 22:27:00 | More by hosehead83
genog

4.08/5  rDev +12.4%

pours a beautiful amber orange color with a thick and generous 4" creamy thick off white head. Lacing is left splattered all along the side of the glass. Smell is of delicious hops. Pine and earthy hops mesh together to remind me of a holiday aroma. Taste is bitter all the way through, not harsh but just a smooth bittering followed by a very creamy texture.

11-19-2007 01:42:28 | More by genog
PlaywrightSam

4.08/5  rDev +12.4%

22 oz bomber picked up at Rosauers in Moscow, ID. A: Cloudy orange with a touch of amber, moderate amount of head with some lacing. S: Pretty clean citrus hops, some floral, caramel malt sweetness. T: Some lighter maltiness up front, mildly sweet, some really nice floral hops in a nicely dry, long finish. Really opens up as I continue through the bottle. M: Medium to thick body, very nicely carbonated, crisp. D: I'm an Idaho native, so I'm biased toward an Idaho brewery, but this is a very nice beer. Really wonderful balance, very drinkable. I wish I could get it in NYC.

01-10-2008 08:39:07 | More by PlaywrightSam
IPAguy2009

4.08/5  rDev +12.4%

Picked this 6 pack for about $9.50, very reasonable price for a 6 pack of headys. I really enjoy this brewery and loved their 10.85% imperial IPA devil dog that sold for a stunning $3.79! Sadly the store I got that from no longer carrys it...anyways here we go!

A- pours a hazy deep yellow orange coppery color. Looks thick and tasty. Not too much lacing, but then again I used a frozen stein mug.

S- it smells just like the devil dog! Hard to describe as it has its own very original laughing dog smell. Smells amazing! Yeasty and sweet bready malt! Slight pine

T- pretty much the smell of this beer is what it also tastes like with late bittery hops sticking around.

M- actually pretty thick feeling, I wouldn't grab this beer for a thirst quencher. Pretty light carbonation. This beer is a bit of a meal.

O- great great IPA! Not an IPA that will punch u in the face w/hops (not that that's bad) but yet an IPA that focuses more on the malt side. Anyone know the abv?? Why is it a mystery? Haha. Yet another big thumbs up from me! Pick it up!

12-19-2011 06:04:49 | More by IPAguy2009
TheBungyo

4.05/5  rDev +11.6%

Nicely done Laughing Dog. Poured from the bottle with a tiny head. Nose is massive pine that brings a smile to my face. Taste is in my opinion just a tad more east coast IPA than West. Pine, lemon, orange and a weird veggie taste that I associate with East coast IPA's. Mouth has a weird insubstantial feeling to it. Drinkability is pretty high, nothing too intimidating going on, but more along the lines of pleasing. A good effort.

06-10-2006 06:12:23 | More by TheBungyo
KomodoDragon

4.05/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

A - Picturesque sunset gold, crystal clear, Uneven off white head.

S - Grassy. And a strong, yet welcomed, basil smell.

T - Immediate spice and some nut flavoring, crisp finish. I had to keep checking the ABV, cause there is a light feel. Great flavors, albeit a bit basic.

M - Wishing it was more creamy and smooth. It's not

Solid, simple, summer fare IPA. No WOW - delicious enough in winter. Why can't more breweries adhere to this approach?

02-15-2013 04:51:47 | More by KomodoDragon
RoyalT

4.03/5  rDev +11%

Appearance – This body is orange with a dark tint but very clear. The head came up big time on an easy poor. It didn’t explode like a HOTD or anything, but just came up in a bold way. It showed terrific retention too and left shaving cream lumps all in my glass.

Smell – The hop aroma here is herbal and very bitter. There is a stiff malt backbone as well and that aspect of the nose is dark and bitter.

Taste – Oh, man, the hops in here could kill a horse. I love it, but man o man that is probably one of the biggest swallows of hops I’ve ever gotten. All of the hops and barley come from Yakima supposedly. Shit, I just took another sip. This is very intense.

These are not PacNWy hops. I’m having difficulty pinning them down. They are sweet and a bit yeast-like. They just really packed them in here. It’s not a piney or Chinooky bitter flavor at all, but whatever they used they used a lot of it.

Mouthfeel – This is almost medium-bodied with some flavors that will set your salivary glands into a panic.

Drinkability – This is a good drinker and, like I said, very intense. I could easily drain a six-pack of these.

04-18-2006 02:08:10 | More by RoyalT
kbeals

4.03/5  rDev +11%

A- 12 oz. bottle reviewed from notes. Poured into a pint glass reveals a cloudy orange brew with 1.5 fingers of fluffy white head. Great head retention and a good solid wall of lacing on the side of the glass.

S- Piney, earthy hops. Has a solid caramel malt backbone to it. Very well balanced.

T- Once again, piney hops, very fresh smelling. Not much of the malt backbone shows up, but it is there. Very tasty.

M- Light-medium body, very fizzy. Smooth and easy to drink.

D- Very smooth, very well made, easy to drink. A solid example of an IPA. I really feel this brewery is pretty under-rated. I wish they distributed in MI, very reasonably priced as well.

10-06-2010 15:34:00 | More by kbeals
pkalix

4.01/5  rDev +10.5%

so I wonder how the hell Total Wine got this one in stock . . .
pours a nice golden neon yellow with some thin white topping...
smell is floral, citrus, pine. bits of grapefruit....
taste is . . . . same. but thin. easy to drink though, I guess. Idaho, huh? well, I guess they tried.... and they have phil Jackson....
overall, a decent brew. I wonder what else they have on tap . . . .

07-05-2013 01:06:30 | More by pkalix
woemad

Washington

12oz bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane. The bottle features the smiling face of Ben (the owners' golden lab), surrounded by a ring of Mallard heads (?) on a green background. On the side of the label is a description of the beer. There one can find the usual claimes that the beer is "a hophead's dream come true," and that "generous amounts of Pacific Northwest malted barley" and "some of the best hops from the fields of Yakima" were used in the making of this beer. I don't mind descriptions of beers, but I prefer them to be more specific and say what kind of hops and barley were used, etc. On the other hand, they do instruct the consumer to drink it "cool, not ice cold." Nevertheless, eye rolling ensues at the conclusion of the description with the declaration, "This is the beer that says don't mess with me, I'm a BAD DOG." Down, boy. Quit humping my leg.

This poured a slightly hazy, light copper, almost orange, color, with a modest off-white head. While the head dropped quickly, a slight foaminess remained upon the top of the beer throughout. Modest, spotty lace.

The smell of this featured sharp, citrusy, almost piney hops and a subordinate sweet maltiness. The maltiness was slightly too sweet in the nose. It could use being toned down a little.

Oddly enough the slightly too sweet maltiness detected in the nose does not exert itself in the taste. It is simply the typical mild malty backbone that comes standard with most decent IPAs. The hops are the dominant flavor here, but they aren't huge. Contrary to the label's claim, this is not a hophead's "dream", but it's a nice average IPA. As this is probably the most local IPA I can currently get my hands on, it will probably become my standard everyday-IPA. There's no trace of the nasty diacetyl flavor that came from this brewery's bottles that I picked up at Gourmet Way. I'm beginning to think that was due to where I bought them rather than what I bought.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, and with a slightly creamy feel. About standard for an IPA.

While this won't join Boundary Bay and Snoqualmie Falls as
my favorite PNW IPAs, it's not bad at all, and unlike those two, I can get a 6-pk of it just six blocks away. I think I'll be having more of this beer.

01-23-2006 22:30:05 | More by woemad
rm0312

Idaho

From the bottle into a shaker glass - Good color and decent head with good lacing. Light golden copper color; somewhat cloudy; good carbonation Great hoppy smell and taste. Interesting bitter finish. Will buy this again next time through Sandpoint, Idaho

04-25-2007 23:02:15 | More by rm0312
dsa7783

Single, twelve-ounce bottle purchased from Buy Rite on Oak Tree in South Plainfield...
Sturdy pour yielded a moderate-sized foamy and frothy head that gradually dissipated around the top of the serving glass...
Hop-laden aroma and flavor yielded an ideal session beer and slightly astringent IPA that slowly put forth a more inviting flavor after the first initial sips...
Good stuff... Easily drinkable... Recommended...

09-21-2009 06:06:36 | More by dsa7783
superspak

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled 8/15/2012. Pours lightly hazy golden amber color with a nice 2 finger dense white head with fantastic retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Nice soapy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of big orange, grapefruit, pineapple, peach, floral, herbal, and light pine. Very nice aromas with good strength and balance. Taste of orange zest, pineapple, peach, grapefruit, herbal, floral, bread, and light pine. Moderate amount of herbal bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, peach, pineapple, herbal, and light pine on the finish for a bit. Nice balance of hop flavors with a good bitterness/sweetness balance as well. No cloying flavors after the finish at all. Medium carbonation and body; with a fairly creamy and crisp mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice IPA. Well balanced with nice hop flavors; extremely smooth and easy to drink. Really enjoyed this.

10-15-2012 02:54:29 | More by superspak
Brenden

3.99/5  rDev +9.9%

A clear brew that goes just beyond gold but doesn't reach amber, the head on this one is as close to white without being pure white as it gets. It reaches nearly one finger and keeps a steady, strong foam the rest of the way. It leaves a large area of densely spotty lacing down to about the middle of the glass with sparser spotting the rest of the way.
I'm a little surprised by the fruits and pine coming out of this one, both in aroma and flavor. It's not as weak as I've head some people say it is by any means. It is nicely balanced, which some hopheads might not appreciate, though it makes it technically better. I want lots of hops without being choked. This delivers, and gives me a nice caramel and honey biscuit sweetness beside. It does have a floral or slightly grassy aspect and, as it warms, something interestingly almost nutty comes out into the finish.
The mouthfeel is nice and smooth without compromising crispness. Carbonation is moderate. The body can't manages medium, though on the light side, but enough to provide support.

04-17-2013 19:33:16 | More by Brenden
joe1510

3.98/5  rDev +9.6%

12oz Bottle

Laughing Dog's IPA was thrown in as one of the couple generous extras from JohnGalt1, thanks Toby! The body of this beer is the color of strong sun tea, some faint rust highlights show through and the body becomes sunset orange when backlit. There's a touch of haziness throughout the body. A standard pour brought about a one-plus finger fizzy, dishwater head that fizzled out to a thin skimming and small collar. A few patches of thin lace are splashed here and there.

Candied grapefruit peel starts things off along with other mild citrus: lemon, orange, and lime in that order. A lightly sugary alcohol punch rides through quickly and there is an enjoyable undercurrent of rich maltiness in the form of sugar cookies and caramel. The quick booziness seems to bring out some pine resin qualities, although not very many. Although the nose is hop driven the maltiness isn't far behind and the overall smell leans toward the sweet candy-like IPAs.

The flavor follows stride with the aroma. Candied citrus rinds lead the way front to back and leave behind some sweetness. They're most potent right up front but fade enough to, almost, let the caramel and cookie maltiness to catch up. The mellow booziness helps bring the hops to the front and adds some dryness to the finish that adds some bitterness to the mix. I prefer my IPAs to be heavily hoppy and although this one is pretty well balanced I do enjoy the flavors Laughing Dog managed to pull out of the hops used.

I'm surprised at the amount of carbonation in this IPA. It's right on the fence between just right and overly aggressive. The more I drink the more I think it's right where it should be, prickly on the tongue, accentuating the mild bitterness. The body is moderate but the snappy carbonation keeps it moving.

The balance helps the drinkability. As a matter of fact the beer is already gone as I write this. It was hard to keep it in the glass. The mild malty sweetness and candy like flavors from the hop profile kept me drinking.

This is a solid, enjoyable IPA from Laughing Dog. It doesn't stand out as a great IPA but would be in my fridge often if available in the area. This is a more sessionable IPA then the big hop bombs I enjoy so much. Thanks again Toby!

09-23-2008 23:05:59 | More by joe1510
Hopscat

Maryland

3.98/5  rDev +9.6%

12 oz bottle poured to pint glass. Golden , clear with beautiful off white head and good lacing which sticks to glass.
This is my second LD brew and the spicy hops note is there again. Is this rye (?), probably need to check the brewer website for notes.
Taste is some fruity and some spicy hops with a nice malt balance.
This IPA feels great with good body medium to full with good carb. Very drinkable/sessionable. A solid IPA and I'll pick up again, though the price point is pretty high. Paid $2.80 for a single.

03-11-2013 17:34:04 | More by Hopscat
mikereaser

A - pours a murky copper color with 1/4 inch of foam

S - sweet citrus aroma of oranges and sweet malts

T - taste is oranges & lemon and other citrus fruits with a piney hop finish

M/D - nicely balanced IPA, the hops aren't too overpowering and could be enjoyed by everyone. I'll definitely pick up another.

03-24-2009 17:36:20 | More by mikereaser
joemcgrath27

Alberta (Canada)

3.95/5  rDev +8.8%

A - impenetrable hazy burnt orange, tall fluffy head dissipated with random lacing left
S - resiny, bready, slightly woody, and tropical fruit
T - interesting hop mix of dank resin, peppery spice, and mild citrus, with a solid bready malt backbone, and just a tease on alcohol heat late in the finish
M - much lower carbonation than anticipated, a creamy body with a medium bitter and a juicy finish
O - a full flavour IPA without being over the top, easily sessionable and very well balanced

09-10-2011 04:12:13 | More by joemcgrath27
Aml42000

3.95/5  rDev +8.8%

A- Clear copper with a white head. Excellent lacing down the sides of the glass.

S- Could be my favorite component of the beer. Like walking through a forest of pine trees along with some citrus and peach aromas. Layers of aromatics made me almost forget to take a sip.

T- Balanced hop and malt flavors. Apricot and a hint of caramel at first quickly yield to grapefruit and bitter hop flavors. Again, good complexity.

M- Medium bodied and refreshing. The hops from the finish simply linger and the perfect level of carbonation tie it all together. A bit oily.

O- A delicious NW IPA. I really love finding this type of balance which makes it a refreshing drink, yet a great complement to food. I would buy again and often.

07-07-2012 21:55:37 | More by Aml42000