Laughing Dog India Pale Ale - Laughing Dog Brewing

Laughing Dog India Pale AleLaughing Dog India Pale Ale

good

Laughing Dog Brewing visit their website
Idaho, United States

A profound love of hops and big brews led to our IPA. A little over the top it is a hophead’s dream come true. An Intense hop aroma and Malty body are followed by a smooth clean finish.

Generous amounts of Pacific Northwest malted barley along with some of the best hops from the fields of Yakima have come together to create an IPA that is very hoppy but very balanced with complex malt flavors.

Served Cool not ice cold so as not to subdue the hop aroma this is the beer that says don't mess with me I’m a BAD DOG.

(Beer added by: woemad on 01-23-2006)
4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

beergil, Dec 18, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

Jameswoody, Dec 17, 2013

JimmyFlatRock, Dec 15, 2013

IPAaron, Dec 08, 2013
4.26/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

The CANQuest (TM) is on a roll tonight, kids! This is the second CANsecutive beer that I have been the first to review in/from a CAN! I CAN hardly believe it, but sometimes The CANQuest (TM) takes new and unexpected turns.

From the CAN: "Brewed & CANned by Laughing Dog Brewing Co."; "Cluster * Cascade * Citra * Simcoe"; "Our IPA is a result of our profound love of hops and bold brews. A combination of Cluster, Cascade, Citra and Simcoe hops create a piney, citrus aroma and flavor."

My tongue was hanging out like the dog's in anticipation of this one, lemme tell ya! I heard a nice, loud Crack and it was time to employ the dreaded inverted Glug. I am using one of my two CAN glasses, a glass shaped to mimic the shape of a 12-ounce aluminum CAN and if you have not seen one yet, they are perfect for both CANs in general and the inverted Glug/pour in particular. I was faced with two-plus fingers of dense, French Vanilla-colored head that was going to have great retention, so I leaned in for a sniff. Hello! Pine was the prevalent aroma, but underlain with tropical fruits, not citrus as in grapefruit, at least not on the nose. The hophead junkie in me reverted to form as the dog lay at my feet. I whipped off my belt, looped it around my arm, tied off and hunted for a viable vein. I just kept sniffing away at it, awaiting the head to fall, leaving some incredible lacing in its wake as it did so. Soon the dog caught on and he had his nose in there, sniffing around. Good boy! Color was a deep golden-yellow (SRM = > 7, < 9), with NE-quality clarity, but the unholy trio of Mammon, Croesus and King Midas did not hang around when they saw the dog. I am not a bg fan of dogs, either, but beer trumps fright in my case. I pushed the dog out of the way, got the spike in and laid back as the first wave danced across my tongue and through my vein. The dog took this as his cue to start lapping at the leftovers. Now, he's whimpering and his tail is shaking like he is passing a bone. Ha! This is beer for professionals, m'boy. The mouthfeel was full, thanks to a LOT of tiny bubbles in evidence. The taste was subtle, very tropical fruit, but not overwhelming. I was getting mango and coconut, especially. The finish was semi-dry with the pine making an appearance at the end, just to remind me that it was there. I am always on the lookout for CANned AIPAs to put in the cooler, especially on Hula in the Coola Day (01 Feb, annually) and this would definitely fit the bill. CAN somebody get the dog to stop chewing on my arm?!?

The following is my original bottle review, dtd 07-28-2012

I am incredulous that I have not previously reviewed this beer. I was in Idaho in July 2007 and drank a lot of Laughing Dog beers on-tap. This must not have been one of them. I think that this one came to me courtesy of local IP trader, tone77.

Loads of carbonation evident! I popped the cap and was getting some foam coming up through the neck, then when I began my pour, the foam was massive, forcing me to back off. I had another massive French Vanilla-colored head, resembling the top of an ice cream cone. Color was a hazy orangish-amber. Nose was redolent with grapefruit/citrus hops. Mouthfeel was medium with a big citrus hop presence up front, underlain by a caramel malt sweetness. Finish was dry, hoppy, very satisfying. Why does the dog have to laugh at me, though?

woodychandler, Dec 07, 2013

Phillyz, Nov 23, 2013

Gatordaddy, Nov 01, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

IWannaEatFood, Oct 30, 2013

Norm406, Oct 24, 2013
3.86/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a nice golden hue with a two-finger head into my glass. I've never seen this brewery before so it's nice to try something new.

Lots of pine in the nose with a buttery crisp malt background.

Decent hop bite upfront. A good balance of pine and citrus with sweet, crisp malt. Lingers at the back.

Finishes in a clean, balanced manner. Carbonation levels are just right and there's no "burn" going down. Some may interpret this as "weak" but I feel that it's just right.

A great example of an IPA. Well worth a try for the IPA fan out there.

Brad007, Oct 20, 2013

EBeckett3, Aug 10, 2013

Adamostella, Jul 21, 2013

Kmat10, Jul 05, 2013
4.01/5  rDev +10.2%

so I wonder how the hell Total Wine got this one in stock . . .
pours a nice golden neon yellow with some thin white topping...
smell is floral, citrus, pine. bits of grapefruit....
taste is . . . . same. but thin. easy to drink though, I guess. Idaho, huh? well, I guess they tried.... and they have phil Jackson....
overall, a decent brew. I wonder what else they have on tap . . . .

pkalix, Jul 05, 2013