Laughing Dog India Pale Ale - Laughing Dog Brewing

Laughing Dog India Pale AleLaughing Dog India Pale Ale

Laughing Dog Brewing visit their website
Idaho, United States

Beer added by: woemad on 01-23-2006

A profound love of hops and big brews led to our IPA. A little over the top it is a hophead’s dream come true. An Intense hop aroma and Malty body are followed by a smooth clean finish.

Generous amounts of Pacific Northwest malted barley along with some of the best hops from the fields of Yakima have come together to create an IPA that is very hoppy but very balanced with complex malt flavors.

Served Cool not ice cold so as not to subdue the hop aroma this is the beer that says don't mess with me I’m a BAD DOG.
firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
2.84/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours a shiney copper, frothy, loose head that leaves plenty of lacing. Medium carbonation.

Fairly raw in the nose, malt backer settles it a bit.

Lemon zest comes through bigtime. Hops are verry bitter and unforgiving. Leafy and green. Maybe this is the trend. Alcohol is not very well disguised and was desired in this offering.

Notes: Boring.

4.07/5  rDev +11.2%

Nicely done Laughing Dog. Poured from the bottle with a tiny head. Nose is massive pine that brings a smile to my face. Taste is in my opinion just a tad more east coast IPA than West. Pine, lemon, orange and a weird veggie taste that I associate with East coast IPA's. Mouth has a weird insubstantial feeling to it. Drinkability is pretty high, nothing too intimidating going on, but more along the lines of pleasing. A good effort.

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance – This body is orange with a dark tint but very clear. The head came up big time on an easy poor. It didn’t explode like a HOTD or anything, but just came up in a bold way. It showed terrific retention too and left shaving cream lumps all in my glass.

Smell – The hop aroma here is herbal and very bitter. There is a stiff malt backbone as well and that aspect of the nose is dark and bitter.

Taste – Oh, man, the hops in here could kill a horse. I love it, but man o man that is probably one of the biggest swallows of hops I’ve ever gotten. All of the hops and barley come from Yakima supposedly. Shit, I just took another sip. This is very intense.

These are not PacNWy hops. I’m having difficulty pinning them down. They are sweet and a bit yeast-like. They just really packed them in here. It’s not a piney or Chinooky bitter flavor at all, but whatever they used they used a lot of it.

Mouthfeel – This is almost medium-bodied with some flavors that will set your salivary glands into a panic.

Drinkability – This is a good drinker and, like I said, very intense. I could easily drain a six-pack of these.

12oz bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane. The bottle features the smiling face of Ben (the owners' golden lab), surrounded by a ring of Mallard heads (?) on a green background. On the side of the label is a description of the beer. There one can find the usual claimes that the beer is "a hophead's dream come true," and that "generous amounts of Pacific Northwest malted barley" and "some of the best hops from the fields of Yakima" were used in the making of this beer. I don't mind descriptions of beers, but I prefer them to be more specific and say what kind of hops and barley were used, etc. On the other hand, they do instruct the consumer to drink it "cool, not ice cold." Nevertheless, eye rolling ensues at the conclusion of the description with the declaration, "This is the beer that says don't mess with me, I'm a BAD DOG." Down, boy. Quit humping my leg.

This poured a slightly hazy, light copper, almost orange, color, with a modest off-white head. While the head dropped quickly, a slight foaminess remained upon the top of the beer throughout. Modest, spotty lace.

The smell of this featured sharp, citrusy, almost piney hops and a subordinate sweet maltiness. The maltiness was slightly too sweet in the nose. It could use being toned down a little.

Oddly enough the slightly too sweet maltiness detected in the nose does not exert itself in the taste. It is simply the typical mild malty backbone that comes standard with most decent IPAs. The hops are the dominant flavor here, but they aren't huge. Contrary to the label's claim, this is not a hophead's "dream", but it's a nice average IPA. As this is probably the most local IPA I can currently get my hands on, it will probably become my standard everyday-IPA. There's no trace of the nasty diacetyl flavor that came from this brewery's bottles that I picked up at Gourmet Way. I'm beginning to think that was due to where I bought them rather than what I bought.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, and with a slightly creamy feel. About standard for an IPA.

While this won't join Boundary Bay and Snoqualmie Falls as
my favorite PNW IPAs, it's not bad at all, and unlike those two, I can get a 6-pk of it just six blocks away. I think I'll be having more of this beer.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last