Laughing Dog Sweet Stout - Laughing Dog Brewing

Laughing Dog Sweet StoutLaughing Dog Sweet Stout

Laughing Dog Brewing visit their website
Idaho, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  ABV ?

Beer added by: Jredner on 02-17-2006

Ratings: 12 | Reviews: 12
Reviews by Knuckles:
3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

I've been told I'm far to generous in my reviews, and perhaps this is one of those reviews. That said, I'm impressed. Idaho breweries rarely impress me, and I'd have to say that this is the best beer I've ever had from one (the breweries being Table Rock, Sun Valley and the one in Pend d'Oreille). Anyway, on to the review (because that's really what we all want, isn't it?)

Appearance: As black as the feeling in my heart when I see Raul Ibanez swing and miss and almost fall down.

Smell: This is the only place that the idea of a milk/sweet stout even comes out. The nose is slightly sweet, and then has this gorgeously bitter finish to it.

Taste: The only reason this gets a 3.5 instead of a 4, is simply because it's advertised as a sweet stout. This isn't a sweet stout. It's a dry stout, and a pretty damn decent one to boot.

Mouthfeel: Not as aggressive as some (Pike 5X comes to mind), but very, very pleasant. Full and satisfying.

I don't know why this relatively new brewery is already exporting their beers to Seattle, but this is a pretty decent beer in all. Would I buy it in favor of other, local beers? No. But when in Idaho, I'd seek this mofo out.

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Laughing Dog- Sweet Stout

A- Deep thick black with a huge frothy tan head. Thick messy lacing. Great head retention.
S- Good dark roasted coffee bean with a touch of cream and grainy oats.
T- Thick sweet cocoa and coffe bean meet to make this 1 thick and chewy. Creamy and slightly milky with a grainy malt touch. Bits of oats and cereal grains.
M- Thick and sweet malt give in to a dry, hop tinged body and finish.

Overall- Nice and thick with a solid body. Alc. seems to be present. Very good on a cold afternoon.

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a robust deep dark brown color (almost black) topped by a finger of creamy tan head that floats on top for a good long while. Pleasant aroma of roasted dark, chocolate, and caramel malts, along with a bit of lactose sweetness. Palate is mildly sweet up front, with lots of rich, creamy roasted malt and a little lactose sweetness accented by notes of chocolate and a hint of bittering hops. Finish is a touch bitter and has some mild astringency. Body is creamy, although a little foamy at times. A very enjoyable stout.

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

Aroma is sweet cream, cocoa and hint of coffee. Black with a thumb thick mocha head that is creamy more than bubbly. Fore is pretty bitter followed by some chocolate malt sweetness, cream, cocoa and coffee. It gets a bit thin in the finish and has coffee bitter/acidic aftertaste. I rather enjoyed it though. Thought it was a decent sipper and left a nice remberance in the far aftertaste.

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

12oz picked up from a small refrigerated stash at Ridley's last week. Poured into my SA shaped glass.

Nice long lasting 2 finger tan head... brew is black.

Aroma is creamy and lite roast coffee... like a milky latte. A little chocolate as it warms.

Grainy .. dark grainy ... milk chocolate malts and a good backbone of dark malts. Only enough char to make things interesting. Middle of the road bitterness with a silky smooth mouthfeel. Very nice from start to finish.

Laughing Dog Sweet Stout is a brew I've had dozens of time since it showed up in Boise. I don't understand why it is not a staple... Every bit as good as Widmer Milk Stout.. it just doesn't have the lactose.

4.39/5  rDev +13.1%

Ha! The label said that it was "fetchingly good beer". Listen, I'll make the jokes around here! Here, boy, heel.

After an afternoon of amber ales, this was something completely different. It produced a deep, dark-brown head with extremely low retention. Its color was as deep and dark as night, allowing only the littlest amount of light to pass through. It had a big smoky, coffee nose along with a dark chocolate sweetness. The mouthfeel was medium and there was a smoky chocolate sweetness that overlaid the tongue. The finish had a cocoa-like, gritty quality to it. This beer struck a clever balance between a dry stout and a milk stout. It would make a great dessert beer. Thanks, good dog, laugh all you want.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Thanks goes out to JohnGalt1 for this brew.

Pours a black color, but way too much carbonation, with a huge foamy light tan head, which took forever to develope, which does leave alot of foamy sticky lacing behind. The nose is very nice though, malty, roasty, with some toffee notes. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight vanilla. Medium body. Drinkable, a nice tasting brew, but the over carbonation and huge foamy head does turn me off. Glad to have tried it though.

4.32/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured a thick, dark brownish black with a medium brown head. Malted sugar, very sweet aromoa with hints of chocolate. Taste was well balanced with sweetness and malt, very smooth and refreshing. I think it is a little thin for a stout, not very chewy, but it did have a good texture. I did not think it was very heavy, and would be a good session beer.

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

New review, replacing one from several years ago. If uninterested in why, skip this next bit:

I reviewed this right after it first appeared in bottles several years ago. I didn't think it was a bad beer at the time, but I wasn't overly impressed, either. Partly that was due to my having bought a bottle at a place where it hadn't been taken care of so well, partly - I think - because it was from the very first of a new brewery's bottling run, but mostly because I didn't think it was right for the sweet stout style. Over time I became more impressed by it, especially after I went to the brewery and talked to the brewer. Fred Colby told me he isn't into sugary sweet beers, and I've come to realize he's not a slave to styles. I went back and altered the score, but didn't re-write the review. Recently I looked at that review and realized it made no sense, with a score totally at odds with the description.

12oz bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane for $1.59. No freshness date.

Poured a deep, dark brown, almost black color, with a big, creamy, mocha colored head. Said head hung around for a long time. Lots of lace. Very good looking beer.

Initially, the most obvious scent is of bitter dark chocolate. I happen to like dark chocolate, so I'm not bothered by it in the least. As it warms, there's also a lighter, brown sugary sweetness, along with some dark roast coffee notes and a faint smoky, pipe tobacco scent deep in the background.

The taste has pretty much all of what I noted above, with a dry hoppy note at the swallow. It's got a relatively full-bodied flavor for a stout, not so much as an Imperial Stout, but it still has a rich flavor.

Sticky, coating mouthfeel. Somewhat thick mouthfeel, but not too much so for a stout.

Very tasty beer. Totally blows Widmer's seasonal sweet stout right out of the water. Great after a big meal. This has become my go-to stout, and if I lived in Sandpoint I'd be picking up growlers of this regularly.

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

I had a laughing Dog Sweet Stout at the Elk Public House in Spokane. Served in a pint tumbler.

Pours a dark walnut brown with a tan head.

The smell is faint and has a roasted grain aroma.

The taste is good. There is a nutty charcoal flavor. Not bitter. There is very little aftertaste.

The mouth feel is smooth and light. Perhaps a little thin, but light and mellow.

This is a very drinkable beer. It’s full flavored and light for a stout. I’d have it again for sure.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle, poured into a red wine glass at 50 degrees. Picked up in a trade from JohnGalt1 - thanks a lot!!

A - Poured a cocoa-black color that is definitely on the creamy side. A small caramel-colored ring nestles atop the dark goodness.

S - Roasted scents of toffee, coffee beans, and sweet chocolate. A little weak, but aroma is promising.

T - Sweet cocoa came through immediately, then was met by medium-roasted coffee. No burnt or overly-roasted flavors, which was very nice...a little vanilla pokes through towards the end. Very smooth and not too sweet, thanks to the coffee flavors. I actually had a craving for almonds with this...so I enjoyed an almond cookie on the side.

M - Creamy body that finishes very smooth. Unsure of the ABV, but it is undetected amongst the other flavors. Little carbonation, but it would only spoil a beer like this.

D - Made for a great nightcap - rich flavors with a smooth finish and not too much alcohol. This was my last Laughing Dog, and I must say that if you can ever get any of their beers, you should do so. A special thanks to JohnGalt1 as these were all delicious.

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

"I've seen a look in dogs' eye, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts."

--John Steinbeck

A loud escape of CO2 on crown cracking, followed by an exceedingly gentle pour, has led to 9/10ths khaki colored foam and 1/10th mahogany colored beer. Since the airy cap isn't melting very quickly, this could take a while. In the end, fat streamers of sudsy lace find their way to the glass.

Once my nose is able to come in close contact with the beer, I can detect a decent roasted maltiness that leaves no doubt as to the proper style. There's certainly nothing in the aroma that would cause concern about the flavor. This one should be simple, but good.

It's difficult to factor out the riotous carbonation in order to appreciate the beer itself. Giving it the ol' college try... acceptably roasted malt with subtle, and roughly equal, contributions from bittersweet chocolate and black coffee. For a sweet stout, I don't get much sweetness. Nor do I get any lactose (milk sugar) or vanilla-like flavors that are usually present in beer of this style.

It's a damn shame that something went awry with the carbonation. I get the feeling that the mouthfeel would be pretty decent otherwise. As is, the bubble assault is just too much to overcome and makes drinking a minor chore.

Laughing Dog Sweet Stout is probably a better beer than it showed me today. I doubt that I'll get another chance to give it a whirl, but I hope so. Obviously, I'll reserve judgment on the brewery as a whole until I've sampled a few more of their wares.

Laughing Dog Sweet Stout from Laughing Dog Brewing