Laughing Dog Cream Ale - Laughing Dog Brewing

Laughing Dog Cream AleLaughing Dog Cream Ale

Laughing Dog Brewing visit their website
Idaho, United States

Cream Ale |  ABV ?

Laughing Dog Brewing's Cream Ale is a traditional cream ale fermented with both ale and lager yeast, this gives us the creamy smoothness of an ale with a nice dry crisp finish.

We start with premium American grown 2 row pale malted barley, add a touch of German pils malt then Australian malt for color and flavor. Finally only choice Northwest grown Hops are added. After carefully fermenting for 2 weeks, we quickly chill the beer and filter.

We allow our Cream Ale to then cold age for another two weeks before kegging or bottling.

(Beer added by: woemad on 07-06-2006)

2.75/5  rDev -14.9%

2.75/5  rDev -14.9%

1.5/5  rDev -53.6%

2.5/5  rDev -22.6%

3.18/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours golden cloudy with white lacy head. It shines in color

Smell is weak with a slight skunk to it.
Taste is crisp fruity with mild hop and a push of flowery taste.
Mouthfeel is heavy with carbonization. More then I would like to see on a cream ale but it doesn't take over the whole beer.

Overall this beer is alright but nothing that makes my top beer list.

3.5/5  rDev +8.4%

12oz bottle, a souvenir from a whirlwind shopping spree at the Boise Co-op.

This beer pours a hazy medium golden straw colour, with two fingers of fine foamy white head, which leaves some decent sponge pattern lace around the glass as it settles. It smells of a substantial citrus edge, and fine pale malt. The taste is quite lemony, of the neutered counter polish sort, with some floral white wine character, over a very soft bready malt influence. The carbonation is on the low side, the body medium-light in weight, somewhat smooth amongst the acidic overtones, and not really creamy. It finishes dry, crisp, and fruity, the floral grape essence remaining quite persistent.

An interesting cream ale - the NW hops manifesting in an unusual manner, overshadowing the expected cream ale maltiness, not to mention the lack of a well, at least minimally creamy texture.

2.05/5  rDev -36.5%

So I got this bottle in a local for locals trade, thank you isualum12. ummm, I'm going to be as objective as I can here but I don't think it will help much. I really don't review much, its hard. So when I do its because a beer is remarkable, to me at least, and this one is. Just not for the right reasons. "Cream" when you hear it just sounds good, doesn't it ? Anyway, this beer pours a nice hazy gold color with a thin white head that sticks around a bit. Not bad. Smell, I don't know, orange maybe.... not much. Taste is the same. Orange, Maybe ?? I'm glad I tried it, I'm also glad I only got 1. I'll do everything I can to prevent the drain pour, I remain hesitantly optimistic. We'll see.

2.68/5  rDev -17%

Laughing Dog is basically from my "hometown" where I went to high school and where my folks still live, so I like to get behind what they do and support them. However, sometimes they make that a bit more difficult...

This 12 ounce bottle pours a cloudy yellow with very little head. What does show up dissipates quickly to a patch of bubbles on the surface, leaving little to no lacing behind. It smells of citrus and cloves with a slightly skunky aroma in the rear. Could be an old bottle, but there wasn't a date code to be found on this guy (in fact, lots of info was missing from the bottle, including ABV). Taste is odd and not at all the sweet and citrusy flavor I was expecting from a cream ale. It has an almost peppery sensation backing the citrus notes, and leaves a sour aftertaste in the now dry mouth (but not in a good way like sours do). Certainly didn't have that velvety mouthfeel I was hoping for. I probably won't drink another one of these for some time.

2.73/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My first cream ale. 12oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Very light golden almost yellow color. Slightly hazy. Maybe a 1 finger head that disappears almost immediately. Lots of carbonation bubbles in what head there was. Almost no lacing.

S: Not much of an aroma. Very light grains. Very light apple scent. Little sour.

T: Again not much here. Slight lemony/grassy flavor. Little sour. Light grains. Maybe touch of corn. Very plain.

M: Was expecting a creamy mouthfeel but this is all watery. Very slight coating to the mouth.

O: Almost reminds me of a Bud Light that someone tried to add some flavor to. Not a whole lot going on at all.

Pours golden/yellow with a nice fluffy white head. Nose is light citrusy hops, with some grassy notes, some light fruitiness. Taste is similar to aroma. Light to med body, moderate ccarbonation. Finish is light citrusy hops, ending is crisp with some grassy sourness, Ovearll an interesting drinkable brew.

3.7/5  rDev +14.6%

Transcribed from undated notes.

My buddy, the Laughing Dog, has come to visit me in bottled form, in Philly. We made each others' acquaintance during my visit to Boise, ID in July 2007 and I've missed him since. Good dog!

My pour created two fingers' worth of fluffy marshmallow-like head with fantastic retention. Color was a cloudy lemon-yellow. Nose had a slight tang, lightly citrusy. Mouthfeel was medium with a light citrus flavor on the tongue. Finish was bitingly dry with a peppery bite. As the label suggested, this would be "great on hot summer days." Fetch some today!

1.98/5  rDev -38.7%

Poured into a snifter on 6/19/10

Pale yellow, straw-blond color. One finger of foam dropped to a patch of bubbles quickly. Swirling helps a little. Thin retention with a little bit of lace.

Smells of toasted malts, grain, wild corn & earth. Some sweetness is to be had; it actually calls to mind that faux-caramel Halloween candy that has the cream center augured into it. The aroma was immediately recognizable, but it took me a minute to place it. Lightly buttery.

Hmm, the taste is so...so minimal. Seriously, it's subtle nearly to the point of being humorous. Toasted malts & cereal grains account for most of it; almost adjunct-esque but not as bad. Earthy hops with minimal flavor & mild bitterness are apparent. "Meh" would be a gift.

Medium-light body with average carbonation, just enough for the style, I'd say. Moderately crisp & clean finish. Has an odd aftertaste.

It's like Laughing Dog took any yawn-inducing elements they could find from lagers & ales, then put them all together for this beer. Is it drinkable? Certainly; it doesn't exactly taste bad. Would I again pay money for it? Not a chance. Wait, let me consult the bottle. Best served cold; check. Goes well with BBQ or a day at the lake; un-check. Whoops - operator error. I guess this one's my fault.

3.48/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: light golden/straw colored body with a touch of haze. Head is a half-finger of compact white foam. It's not horrible or anything but it doesn't blow me away.

Smell: light aroma; a little grainy and a little malty with a touch of sour thrown in. Hops are not all that present but there is a little bit of earthy hop in there.

Taste: flavor is grainier than the aroma and the hops are slightly more prevalent. The flavor seems balanced but a little raw; it's not bad but not my favorite.

Mouthfeel: there's actually a pretty nice level of carbonation here, which helps the medium-light body to a relatively nice feel.

Drinkability: this is a pretty refreshing beer, but I'm not a huge fan of the graininess. Not bad on a hot day by the lake, but also not something I'm likely to seek again.

3.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The lightest style that was available when we stopped at the brewery.
Pours slightly hazed, yellow liquid with a foamy white head that left thin lacing. Slight citrus smell along with some graininess. The taste is slightly sweet, grainy, a bit tart and lemon citrus. Light body, crisp carbonation, slightly dry finish. An average beer, aimed at the mainstream.

3.45/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle:
Clouded gold with a decent head, good lacing.

Fruity esters and yeast mustiness over a grainy tone in the aroma.

Flavor is mild but pleasant, light fruityness, some earthiness, passive but adequate hopping...dry tart finish.

Decent...but the Cream ale style is uniquely Canadian and I've yet to see a US Micro match the cream ales from Quebec

2.9/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of lemons and malts. Taste is kind of musty and sour, slightly bitter, not all that good. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this makes for a mediocre brew.

Laughing Dog Cream Ale from Laughing Dog Brewing