Laughing Dog Cream Ale - Laughing Dog Brewing

Laughing Dog Brewing visit their website
Idaho, United States

Cream Ale |  ABV ?

Beer added by: woemad on 07-06-2006

Laughing Dog Brewing's Cream Ale is a traditional cream ale fermented with both ale and lager yeast, this gives us the creamy smoothness of an ale with a nice dry crisp finish.

We start with premium American grown 2 row pale malted barley, add a touch of German pils malt then Australian malt for color and flavor. Finally only choice Northwest grown Hops are added. After carefully fermenting for 2 weeks, we quickly chill the beer and filter.

We allow our Cream Ale to then cold age for another two weeks before kegging or bottling.
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.98/5  rDev -39.8%

Poured into a snifter on 6/19/10

Pale yellow, straw-blond color. One finger of foam dropped to a patch of bubbles quickly. Swirling helps a little. Thin retention with a little bit of lace.

Smells of toasted malts, grain, wild corn & earth. Some sweetness is to be had; it actually calls to mind that faux-caramel Halloween candy that has the cream center augured into it. The aroma was immediately recognizable, but it took me a minute to place it. Lightly buttery.

Hmm, the taste is so...so minimal. Seriously, it's subtle nearly to the point of being humorous. Toasted malts & cereal grains account for most of it; almost adjunct-esque but not as bad. Earthy hops with minimal flavor & mild bitterness are apparent. "Meh" would be a gift.

Medium-light body with average carbonation, just enough for the style, I'd say. Moderately crisp & clean finish. Has an odd aftertaste.

It's like Laughing Dog took any yawn-inducing elements they could find from lagers & ales, then put them all together for this beer. Is it drinkable? Certainly; it doesn't exactly taste bad. Would I again pay money for it? Not a chance. Wait, let me consult the bottle. Best served cold; check. Goes well with BBQ or a day at the lake; un-check. Whoops - operator error. I guess this one's my fault. (1,282 characters)

Pale, pale yellow gold body, hint of haze, bustling with carbonation streams. Big ball of sow-white micro-bubbly foam.

Hay/grass aroma, with a jab of sour lemon.

Light sweet malt beginning, undone by a pronounced sour undercurrent with tkaes over everything by the swallow and into the finish.

Light bubbly mouthfeel. Sour twang destroys drinkability.

Much as I love labs, this is not a good dog. (400 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -35.9%

So I got this bottle in a local for locals trade, thank you isualum12. ummm, I'm going to be as objective as I can here but I don't think it will help much. I really don't review much, its hard. So when I do its because a beer is remarkable, to me at least, and this one is. Just not for the right reasons. "Cream" when you hear it just sounds good, doesn't it ? Anyway, this beer pours a nice hazy gold color with a thin white head that sticks around a bit. Not bad. Smell, I don't know, orange maybe.... not much. Taste is the same. Orange, Maybe ?? I'm glad I tried it, I'm also glad I only got 1. I'll do everything I can to prevent the drain pour, I remain hesitantly optimistic. We'll see. (695 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -33.7%

Laughing Dog- Cream Ale

A- Light, slightly hazy, orange with no head.
S- Sweet sugary orange citrus with a sticky sweet malt.
T- Very sweet and sugary lemon and orange with a touch of hay and straw.
M- very sweet and syrupy sugary. Dry funky wheat hay malt finish.

Overall- Not good. Laughing Dog's worst offering. (318 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -17.9%

Laughing Dog is basically from my "hometown" where I went to high school and where my folks still live, so I like to get behind what they do and support them. However, sometimes they make that a bit more difficult...

This 12 ounce bottle pours a cloudy yellow with very little head. What does show up dissipates quickly to a patch of bubbles on the surface, leaving little to no lacing behind. It smells of citrus and cloves with a slightly skunky aroma in the rear. Could be an old bottle, but there wasn't a date code to be found on this guy (in fact, lots of info was missing from the bottle, including ABV). Taste is odd and not at all the sweet and citrusy flavor I was expecting from a cream ale. It has an almost peppery sensation backing the citrus notes, and leaves a sour aftertaste in the now dry mouth (but not in a good way like sours do). Certainly didn't have that velvety mouthfeel I was hoping for. I probably won't drink another one of these for some time. (975 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My first cream ale. 12oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Very light golden almost yellow color. Slightly hazy. Maybe a 1 finger head that disappears almost immediately. Lots of carbonation bubbles in what head there was. Almost no lacing.

S: Not much of an aroma. Very light grains. Very light apple scent. Little sour.

T: Again not much here. Slight lemony/grassy flavor. Little sour. Light grains. Maybe touch of corn. Very plain.

M: Was expecting a creamy mouthfeel but this is all watery. Very slight coating to the mouth.

O: Almost reminds me of a Bud Light that someone tried to add some flavor to. Not a whole lot going on at all. (644 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A :: Pale yellow with a airy white head. I looked back at the glass and there was no evidence the head was ever there.
S :: Smells of light grain and bread. There's a hint of yeast with a slight sweetness.
T :: There is a nice balance of hops and malt. Tastes almost like an orange that has ripened one day too long. Very brief, crisp, dry finish.
M :: Very light yet it feels thick. Not sure how else to describe it. Decent and lively carbonation that can definitely be felt. It's light like a lager with the bite of an ale.
D :: Goes down easy. Overall it was not what I was expecting for a cream ale. Not great, not bad...kinda stuck in the middle. (695 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of lemons and malts. Taste is kind of musty and sour, slightly bitter, not all that good. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this makes for a mediocre brew. (267 characters)

Pours golden/yellow with a nice fluffy white head. Nose is light citrusy hops, with some grassy notes, some light fruitiness. Taste is similar to aroma. Light to med body, moderate ccarbonation. Finish is light citrusy hops, ending is crisp with some grassy sourness, Ovearll an interesting drinkable brew. (306 characters)

A: Poured a hazy lemon color with a bright, white foamy head that was slightly bubbly and fizzy, while moderately lasting providing a weak lacing upon its decline. Clarity was translucent with a medium-strong carbonation presence. Macro-like in color, head retention and carbonation gets things off to a non-eventful start.

S: The nose emitted a light muskiness of sour grapefruit, lime and lemons. The lime I thought was the most dominant and distinguishable, coming off like a lighter version aroma wise of bud-lime. A damp, wet citrusy nature was reminisces of a lightly sour American blonde rather a cream ale.

T: The flavor was wet and sour lemons and lime. Grapefruit and oranges also add into the mix with a noticeable, light sourness. Pale unsweetened grains add a dry touch and backing along with a light fruitiness of dried apple skins. Moderately bitter overall, perhaps a bit more then usual per style with a pacific west musky hopping that was acidic in nature with a orangey-tangerine bite and a dry finish.

M: bubbly and very high in carbonation. The texture was a bit rough and creamy at first before the rapid onset of carbonation sets in eventually turning the mouthful into a fizzy, bubbly experience. The swallow finds a short fade of sour oranges and lime similar to a coor blue moon.

D: Drinkability was average with a particularly gassy carbonation which im sure will cause you to reach for the Alka-Seltzer pills soon after. Macro-like bubbly carbonation limits multiples while a limited scope of flavor limits enjoyability. Pass because of the gas. (1,581 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -7.9%

Appearance: hazy pale yellow in color with a 1/2" head that lingers around a while.

Smell: lemon zest and some caramel sweetness is very mild on the nose.

Taste: light caramel flavor with some lemon zest, pear, and a soft bitterness. The citrus was a bit too strong here.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Way too crisp for the style. Relatively short aftertaste here.

Drinkability: this was did not hit the spot for the style. Overly crisp and did not provide the refreshment expected. (487 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -5.8%

Insanely bubbled tangerine honey beneath an expansive, airy, ivory crown that filled at least 90% of the glass on the initial pour. These guys must have quality control issues because the LD Sweet Stout that I had last month started out the same way. The proportions of foam and beer are reversing themselves painfully slowly, eventually allowing me to add another ounce or two to the glass. Abundant, chunky lace saves the appearance score.

The nose is pretty typical for a cream ale. It's dominated by untoasted grain and a nonspecific ale fruitiness. It's also a little spicy (gotta be the hops) and is a wee bit phenolic. I'm amazed at how much of the aroma makes its way through such a thick layer of foam.

Cream Ale is an average cream ale in the end. In the beginning, too. Maybe all those bubbles are coloring my impressions, who knows? I enjoyed what I could appreciate of the base beer in Huckleberry Cream Ale. I'm pretty sure that that beer is simply this beer with huckleberries added.

More sweetness and less spiciness would be preferable. To that end, more malt and fewer hops would help the flavor profile and the mouthfeel in any number of ways. Now I'm not so sure that the spiciness is coming from the hops. It tastes (and feels) like the yeast has run amok.

What original and interesting way can I come up with to describe the mouthfeel on a beer that's too light and way too carbonated? Never mind, I've just told you all you need to know. It's too bad that this sort of thing happens so often in the world of craft beer.

I'm thinking that fresh from the tap in Ponderay, perferably in the heat of a summer day, is the best way to enjoy Cream Ale. Of course that leaves out everybody who doesn't live close to Ponderay. Which is most of us. Oh well, perhaps my next offering from these guys will be more to my liking. (1,844 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks goes out to JohnGalt1 for this brew.

Pours a cloudy pale yellow color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger white head, which disappears quickly, some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, tangy, with some pear/apples, maybe some hops? The taste is malty, yeasty, hoppy, bitter, tangy. Medium body. Drinkable, not like other Cream Ales I've had in the past. Would not drink again. (393 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours golden cloudy with white lacy head. It shines in color

Smell is weak with a slight skunk to it.
Taste is crisp fruity with mild hop and a push of flowery taste.
Mouthfeel is heavy with carbonization. More then I would like to see on a cream ale but it doesn't take over the whole beer.

Overall this beer is alright but nothing that makes my top beer list. (366 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -2.7%

pour is a clear pale yellow with a medium size white head and good lacing.

smell tingles the nose, pear, some hops, light on the malts, citrus, cloves and herbs.

taste is crisp yet creamy, earthy, sweet fruit, sour malt, and lemon, ends dry, tart and a hint of bitter. (270 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

This beer pours beautifully a dark honey colour with nicely supported head and med-light carbonation. Taking a smell of the beer is less pleasant, as the arouma is thin, and sharply tangy. However, the beer drinks nicely, very creamy with a kiss of hops and a nice malt in the middle of the taste. The carbonation is not evident in the flavour, however, I was left feeling rather gassy after about half a glass (I used a stein type glass). All in all, not a bad beer. (467 characters)

3.31/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured a light yellow/amber in color with a very thin white head that dissipated quickly. There was not a lot of carbonation. The aroma was of mixture of malts with hops, very good in balance. The taste was a let down from the aroma. It was malty with a good flavor of hops, a touch of bitterness. It had a thin texture, but very smooth feel to it. A good session beer with mild enjoyment. Not very heavy but goes down well. (424 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +0.9%

From notes. Original review was lost in database crash October 5, 2009. Don't want to have this beer again.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a clear pint glass. No freshness or bottled on date apparent. Single purchased at local health foods store for $1.65.

A-Poured a bright golden yellow with virtually no head or lacing.

S-Vaguely like peanuts and eggshells. Not especially pleasant.

T-Quite sweet, but not what I typically like in a beer of any style. I doubt I will try this style again. I don't see the need to mix lager and ale yeasts. This was too rich.

M-Too creamy and buttery for my taste.

D-Surprisingly filling. I won't drink this beer again, nor will I probably try the style again. Don't see the need for mixing the ale and lager styles. Somewhat tasty yellow fizz that was too expensive compared to better, more affordable, albeit, different style beers. (877 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +2.4%

a. Poured a nutty lemon yellow with some substantial haze going on in the glass. A billowy crisp white thick cream head capped it off.

s. The aroma was bready and yeasty with some malt, rice, and oats mixed in. Fruit aromas of lemon, fresh melon, and some nice bitter hops to finish it off.

t. The taste was tough one. Malty cream and biscuts mixed with a bizarre tartness and sourness, akin to lemons and bad fruit. Offsetting and seems more like a tart, which I wasn't expecting. It was difficult to sip, and i have to wonder if my bottles were slightly off.

m. The mouthfeel in nice... it's thick and creamy but still light and crisp, with good carbonation to keep it all afloat.

d. Drinkability is definitely suffering (in my mind) as a result of the tartness. Had I been expecting it, maybe it would work out alright. Maybe I just haven't had the right cream ales? or maybe this is just an anomaly. Or i could be a wuss with a horrible palette. But I'd like to think not.

Is this really how Laughing Dog Cream tastes? Or did I get a bad batch? I'll have to try to find a different batch and try again. I'm hoping for LD's sake, that the brew doesn't normally have that astringent tartness about it. Wasatch's review mentions the tartness/tang as well, and I've heard several times that LD isn't necessarily on top of quality control. I'll have to give another batch a try and report back. (1,402 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The lightest style that was available when we stopped at the brewery.
Pours slightly hazed, yellow liquid with a foamy white head that left thin lacing. Slight citrus smell along with some graininess. The taste is slightly sweet, grainy, a bit tart and lemon citrus. Light body, crisp carbonation, slightly dry finish. An average beer, aimed at the mainstream. (360 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle:
Clouded gold with a decent head, good lacing.

Fruity esters and yeast mustiness over a grainy tone in the aroma.

Flavor is mild but pleasant, light fruityness, some earthiness, passive but adequate hopping...dry tart finish.

Decent...but the Cream ale style is uniquely Canadian and I've yet to see a US Micro match the cream ales from Quebec (356 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: light golden/straw colored body with a touch of haze. Head is a half-finger of compact white foam. It's not horrible or anything but it doesn't blow me away.

Smell: light aroma; a little grainy and a little malty with a touch of sour thrown in. Hops are not all that present but there is a little bit of earthy hop in there.

Taste: flavor is grainier than the aroma and the hops are slightly more prevalent. The flavor seems balanced but a little raw; it's not bad but not my favorite.

Mouthfeel: there's actually a pretty nice level of carbonation here, which helps the medium-light body to a relatively nice feel.

Drinkability: this is a pretty refreshing beer, but I'm not a huge fan of the graininess. Not bad on a hot day by the lake, but also not something I'm likely to seek again. (849 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured into a tall pilsner glass, the head is creamy, substantial and pretty long lasting. Most likely a function of the glass more than the beer or my pouring technique. Good, sustained carbonation.

Flavors are of cranberry, cherry, spices, and a bit of pine. There's quite a bit going on in this beer.

Deep reddish golden color.

As the bottle states, dry finish with little aftertaste.

Overall, probably not as recommended as the Sweet Stout by the same brewery, but solid. (487 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +5.8%

12oz bottle picked up at Huckleberry's in Spokane for $1.29. Drinking this will mean the beer they brew with Jalepino peppers is the only bottled LD beer I've yet to try. As always, the label shows Ben the yellow lab, this time with a tan background that fades to gold as it goes up the bottle. The label states that the beer is "fermented with both ale and lager yeast." The malts are "premium American grown 2-row pale malted barley...a touch of German pils malt then a premium Australian malt for color and flavor, " with "choice Northwest grown hops."

This pours a copper-ish gold color, with a big creamy white head that takes a couple of minutes to drop. Sheets of lace quickly glide down the glass towards the beer and leaves a spotty beer neglige at the top of the glass.

The smell of this beer is not terribly dominant, but it's what I expected for the style. There's a modestly sweet maltiness that is the most dominant part of the nose. Subordinate to that is a mild spicy hoppiness. It's not very overt, but it's there.

This tastes pretty much how it smells: mildly malty, with a very mild peppery hoppiness skulking in the background. This is a beer meant to do little to upset the tastebuds. Something to wean people off the macros with, or at least get them to drink something more local than B/M/C, even if it doesn't really challenge their tastebuds.

This is a light bodied beer. The mouthfeel is a little too bland and watery for my liking, but it's better than so many mass-appeal beers that I've had.

Not a great beer, but it's not really trying to be one. Definitely to be kept in mind as a lawnmower beer and for those occaisions when you find yourself providing beer for less adventurous drinkers than the average BA. When I find myself with friends that fit into the latter category and this is available, I'll steer them in this direction. (1,879 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

12oz bottle, a souvenir from a whirlwind shopping spree at the Boise Co-op.

This beer pours a hazy medium golden straw colour, with two fingers of fine foamy white head, which leaves some decent sponge pattern lace around the glass as it settles. It smells of a substantial citrus edge, and fine pale malt. The taste is quite lemony, of the neutered counter polish sort, with some floral white wine character, over a very soft bready malt influence. The carbonation is on the low side, the body medium-light in weight, somewhat smooth amongst the acidic overtones, and not really creamy. It finishes dry, crisp, and fruity, the floral grape essence remaining quite persistent.

An interesting cream ale - the NW hops manifesting in an unusual manner, overshadowing the expected cream ale maltiness, not to mention the lack of a well, at least minimally creamy texture. (869 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast