Laughing Dog Cream Ale - Laughing Dog Brewing

Laughing Dog Brewing visit their website
Idaho, United States

Cream Ale |  ABV ?

Beer added by: woemad on 07-06-2006

Laughing Dog Brewing's Cream Ale is a traditional cream ale fermented with both ale and lager yeast, this gives us the creamy smoothness of an ale with a nice dry crisp finish.

We start with premium American grown 2 row pale malted barley, add a touch of German pils malt then Australian malt for color and flavor. Finally only choice Northwest grown Hops are added. After carefully fermenting for 2 weeks, we quickly chill the beer and filter.

We allow our Cream Ale to then cold age for another two weeks before kegging or bottling.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.2/5  rDev -1.2%

pour is a clear pale yellow with a medium size white head and good lacing.

smell tingles the nose, pear, some hops, light on the malts, citrus, cloves and herbs.

taste is crisp yet creamy, earthy, sweet fruit, sour malt, and lemon, ends dry, tart and a hint of bitter.

3.92/5  rDev +21%

Surprisingly complex for a simple style, without simply throwing extra hops into the beer like the higher rated cream ales. The aroma starts with an orange and evaporated milk aroma while the flavor adds more sweet, not bitter, grapefruit and a hint of nutmeg. There's a bit too much lager tang and that throws the whole feel off slightly. Otherwise this is a fine cream ale.

3.37/5  rDev +4%

a. Poured a nutty lemon yellow with some substantial haze going on in the glass. A billowy crisp white thick cream head capped it off.

s. The aroma was bready and yeasty with some malt, rice, and oats mixed in. Fruit aromas of lemon, fresh melon, and some nice bitter hops to finish it off.

t. The taste was tough one. Malty cream and biscuts mixed with a bizarre tartness and sourness, akin to lemons and bad fruit. Offsetting and seems more like a tart, which I wasn't expecting. It was difficult to sip, and i have to wonder if my bottles were slightly off.

m. The mouthfeel in nice... it's thick and creamy but still light and crisp, with good carbonation to keep it all afloat.

d. Drinkability is definitely suffering (in my mind) as a result of the tartness. Had I been expecting it, maybe it would work out alright. Maybe I just haven't had the right cream ales? or maybe this is just an anomaly. Or i could be a wuss with a horrible palette. But I'd like to think not.

Is this really how Laughing Dog Cream tastes? Or did I get a bad batch? I'll have to try to find a different batch and try again. I'm hoping for LD's sake, that the brew doesn't normally have that astringent tartness about it. Wasatch's review mentions the tartness/tang as well, and I've heard several times that LD isn't necessarily on top of quality control. I'll have to give another batch a try and report back.

3.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks goes out to JohnGalt1 for this brew.

Pours a cloudy pale yellow color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger white head, which disappears quickly, some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, tangy, with some pear/apples, maybe some hops? The taste is malty, yeasty, hoppy, bitter, tangy. Medium body. Drinkable, not like other Cream Ales I've had in the past. Would not drink again.

3.31/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured a light yellow/amber in color with a very thin white head that dissipated quickly. There was not a lot of carbonation. The aroma was of mixture of malts with hops, very good in balance. The taste was a let down from the aroma. It was malty with a good flavor of hops, a touch of bitterness. It had a thin texture, but very smooth feel to it. A good session beer with mild enjoyment. Not very heavy but goes down well.

3.53/5  rDev +9%

I poured a 12 ounce capped bottle into a pint glass.

A: It poured a gold and clean body with a slight white bubbly head that receded fast and supported slight lacing.

S: It smell of sweet malts and white fruits (pears and apples).

T: It tasted sweet, malty with hints of light citrus flavors.
The flavors were balanced. None dominated.

M: It is a light bodied drink that was creamy and smooth with a dry finish and modest crabonation.

D: It was a fine brew for a session beer. Not too heavy and a light ABV.

3.67/5  rDev +13.3%

Edit: My review of this beer is based solely on the beer.. not my understanding of "what" a cream ale is supposed to be.

12oz picked up at the Coop for about $1.40... shared with Brenda, mine from my New Belgium goblet.

1" head drops leaving spotty lace above a clear straw gold brew.

Aroma is very bready. Smells like a loaf of sweet bread right before it goes in the oven... clean and pronounced corn/fruitiness at the same time.. all the smells are very separate... light spiciness throughout.

Flavor is pale malts and white bread... again there is a touch of hop spiciness.. some yeasty fruitiness that is different than most beers.. almost like it is accentuated... light body that tastes thicker...and prickly carbonation... Reminds me very much of a lighter "Rogue Dad's Little Helper Malt Liquor".. sorta corny mid palate.

Not my cup of tea.. but I am sure that if there is such a thing as a Micro "Cream Ale" this has to be pretty good for the style... Probably would be very refreshing in the summer heat.

As it warms and my palate acclimates.. it really isn't bad and actually very drinkable.

3.1/5  rDev -4.3%

Insanely bubbled tangerine honey beneath an expansive, airy, ivory crown that filled at least 90% of the glass on the initial pour. These guys must have quality control issues because the LD Sweet Stout that I had last month started out the same way. The proportions of foam and beer are reversing themselves painfully slowly, eventually allowing me to add another ounce or two to the glass. Abundant, chunky lace saves the appearance score.

The nose is pretty typical for a cream ale. It's dominated by untoasted grain and a nonspecific ale fruitiness. It's also a little spicy (gotta be the hops) and is a wee bit phenolic. I'm amazed at how much of the aroma makes its way through such a thick layer of foam.

Cream Ale is an average cream ale in the end. In the beginning, too. Maybe all those bubbles are coloring my impressions, who knows? I enjoyed what I could appreciate of the base beer in Huckleberry Cream Ale. I'm pretty sure that that beer is simply this beer with huckleberries added.

More sweetness and less spiciness would be preferable. To that end, more malt and fewer hops would help the flavor profile and the mouthfeel in any number of ways. Now I'm not so sure that the spiciness is coming from the hops. It tastes (and feels) like the yeast has run amok.

What original and interesting way can I come up with to describe the mouthfeel on a beer that's too light and way too carbonated? Never mind, I've just told you all you need to know. It's too bad that this sort of thing happens so often in the world of craft beer.

I'm thinking that fresh from the tap in Ponderay, perferably in the heat of a summer day, is the best way to enjoy Cream Ale. Of course that leaves out everybody who doesn't live close to Ponderay. Which is most of us. Oh well, perhaps my next offering from these guys will be more to my liking.

3.53/5  rDev +9%

12 oz bottle picked up in Seattle. Great simple label design...gotta love it, totally reminds me of a great local brewery here in Portland. Clean golden brew, white head. Soft nose that drinks easily. Clean, easy to quaff and I must agree with the bottle, would be a fantastic brew in the summer. Nice beer from a another great PNW brewery....I’m very pleased with this beer and happy to support an Idaho brewery. Going to have another one of their beers tonight....

3.73/5  rDev +15.1%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle, poured into a chalice at 45 degrees. Picked up in a trade from JohnGalt1 - thanks a lot!!

A - Can't remember seeing this color before...sort of a honey-orange with an off-white head that melted away to a small ring fairly quickly. Good carbonation; the color became more orange
further down the glass.

S - An unknown sweetness escapes the glass. No words I typically use can describe the aroma...not really malty, no hops, and it's not a fruity scent either. Hmm...it comes closest to vanilla.

T - The slightest bit of malt in the background, and the vanilla is much more pronounced. Definitely as sweet as it smelled with no real hoppy tone at all. Some fruit lingers, cherries and pear mostly. It's an enjoyable flavor combination...a little unusual, but I've had very little experience with cream ales.

M - The pour didn't look too thick, but it was definitely a medium-bodied, creamy beer. The thicker body helped as it gave me a better chance to bite through the flavors. Still goes down very smoothly with a crisp finish.

D - This made for a good after-lunch-watching-football beer. Laughing Dog hasn't disappointed me yet, so I want to say thanks again to JohnGalt1 for letting me try this one. I'd definitely say give this a try if you have the means of obtaining one. Would also be excellent in the summer, as mentioned on the bottle.

3.25/5  rDev +0.3%

This beer pours beautifully a dark honey colour with nicely supported head and med-light carbonation. Taking a smell of the beer is less pleasant, as the arouma is thin, and sharply tangy. However, the beer drinks nicely, very creamy with a kiss of hops and a nice malt in the middle of the taste. The carbonation is not evident in the flavour, however, I was left feeling rather gassy after about half a glass (I used a stein type glass). All in all, not a bad beer.

3.48/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured into a tall pilsner glass, the head is creamy, substantial and pretty long lasting. Most likely a function of the glass more than the beer or my pouring technique. Good, sustained carbonation.

Flavors are of cranberry, cherry, spices, and a bit of pine. There's quite a bit going on in this beer.

Deep reddish golden color.

As the bottle states, dry finish with little aftertaste.

Overall, probably not as recommended as the Sweet Stout by the same brewery, but solid.

3.98/5  rDev +22.8%

I picked up a six pack of Laughing Dog Cream Ale at the brewery while on a three-day two-night trailer trip in North Idaho. I poured this beer in to a pint tumbler.

Pours a nice gold color and is clear. A one-finger bubbly head forms, but dissipates quickly to a thin ring around the glass. The head produces little lacing.

The smell is sweet with a bit of a pine fragrance.

The taste is a fairly sweet with a little mild citrus flavor, a sweet malt presence, and a dry hop finish. The flavors are well balanced. It is a nice tasting brew.

The mouth feel is light, crisp and dry. The beer is moderately carbonated.

This is a very drinkable beer. I don’t know much about the style, but this is a nice light refreshing beer, with a full flavor and a dry finish.

NOTE: The brewery has a nice tasting room, with friendly brew staff. You can stop in and get a set of tasters (seven 4 oz beers) served on a dog bone shaped tray, eat pretzels from a dog dish on the table, and take a tour of the brewery. If you are lucky you might even meet Ben, the owner’s dog, and inspiration for the brewery.

3.48/5  rDev +7.4%

12oz bottle picked up at Huckleberry's in Spokane for $1.29. Drinking this will mean the beer they brew with Jalepino peppers is the only bottled LD beer I've yet to try. As always, the label shows Ben the yellow lab, this time with a tan background that fades to gold as it goes up the bottle. The label states that the beer is "fermented with both ale and lager yeast." The malts are "premium American grown 2-row pale malted barley...a touch of German pils malt then a premium Australian malt for color and flavor, " with "choice Northwest grown hops."

This pours a copper-ish gold color, with a big creamy white head that takes a couple of minutes to drop. Sheets of lace quickly glide down the glass towards the beer and leaves a spotty beer neglige at the top of the glass.

The smell of this beer is not terribly dominant, but it's what I expected for the style. There's a modestly sweet maltiness that is the most dominant part of the nose. Subordinate to that is a mild spicy hoppiness. It's not very overt, but it's there.

This tastes pretty much how it smells: mildly malty, with a very mild peppery hoppiness skulking in the background. This is a beer meant to do little to upset the tastebuds. Something to wean people off the macros with, or at least get them to drink something more local than B/M/C, even if it doesn't really challenge their tastebuds.

This is a light bodied beer. The mouthfeel is a little too bland and watery for my liking, but it's better than so many mass-appeal beers that I've had.

Not a great beer, but it's not really trying to be one. Definitely to be kept in mind as a lawnmower beer and for those occaisions when you find yourself providing beer for less adventurous drinkers than the average BA. When I find myself with friends that fit into the latter category and this is available, I'll steer them in this direction.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last