Devil Dog Imperial IPA - Laughing Dog Brewing

Devil Dog Imperial IPADevil Dog Imperial IPA

Laughing Dog Brewing visit their website
Idaho, United States

Availability: Spring

The Devil Dog will chew you up and leave you whimpering for more.

At 98 IBU’s and 5.6 pounds of hops to the barrel it is an all out assault on the senses. Devil Dog Started as a labor of love but quickly took on a life of its own, leaving us drooling like Pavlov’s dogs at the mere mention of its name. Triple dry hopped and at 10% ABV, more than one of these bad boys will cause you to howl at passing strangers and chew up your toys, or anything else you can get your sharp little teeth on.

(Beer added by: johnbonham1980 on 03-18-2007)
1.65/5  rDev -56.5%

I picked this up at Pike Street Beer & Wine in Seattle while in town on business.

A - Brown and cloudy with a thick, beige head.

S - A smoky, musky, malty, earthy aroma. It was not at all what I expected.

T - Very smoky, earthy and malty. I thought it was horrible. This beer tastes more like a bad Scottish ale than a DIPA.

M - Thick and chewy with good carbonation. This is the only aspect where the beer was passable.

D - I gave this beer a good effort and then poured it down the sink. I don't do that often. I had high hopes for it too. I bought it based on the reviews here and the description on the bottle (DIPA, 7 lbs of hops per barrel, etc.). I don't know what went wrong but the bottle I got was terrible.

GJ40, Oct 18, 2008
1.7/5  rDev -55.1%

Poured into a Samuel Adams New Glass

Appearance - 5
Pours a nice one inch head. Thick, slighly off-white, foamy head. Clear and reddish orange in color. I'm getting thirsty.

Smell - 2.5
Slight pine and maybe a little soap scent. Actually, that soapy smell reminds me a little of vodka. Interesting.

Taste - 1
Bitter and a little sour hop flavor that I can't place. It actually tastes bad. I think mine might be tainted. I don't think I could drink more than 5 or 6oz... and I love IIPA and DIPA's.

Mouthfeel - 3
Hard to focus on mouthfeel while taste seems so off. Sour taste is still lingering.

Drinkability - 1
None. Should I try to find another? The cap seal seemed fine. There is carbonation. Sipping off the bottle gave the same result. I'm sorry Laughing Dog if I am reviewing a tainted bottle. I feel like I should review another.

---

22oz bottle purchased acquired through a trade with JohnGalt1.

dqderrick, Jan 07, 2009
2.1/5  rDev -44.6%

Alright. Lets give this one a try. I just drain poured a Dogzilla so lets see if the Devil Dog will bring me happier times. Doesn't look bad. Pours a medium copper with an average white head and nice lacing.

Now for the aroma.... Oh Oh!!! Light rancid sour and soap. Not as bad as the Dogzilla but still bad enough to put me off.

Next comes the flavor. Here goes. Ummm... Oh boy. More bad sour and oxidation. Once again. Not as bad as the Dogzilla but not at all good.

I'll be damned if I am going to drain pour two back to back bombers so I am going to tough this one out.

brewbucker, Feb 05, 2009
2.65/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

I haven't tried too many of Laughing Dog's offerings since they've started coming through this area, but I'm fixing to rectify that. This case-in-point pours a clear orange-brass topped by a finger of bone foam. The nose comprises buttery biscuit, pine resin, pine needles, a hint of tobacco, and a sprig or two of mint. It's a mess of butter and clashing greenery. The taste follows suit, with a nice bit of alcohol on the back end to provide warmth and to exacerbate the battle already underway. The body is a lithe medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta/kinda drying finish. Overall, this was just a mess of a beer, one that is riddled with butter and unwilling and seemingly unable to form any semblance of balance or peaceable interaction between this buttery juggernaut and the hops that seek to unseat him from power. Can't we all just get along?

TMoney2591, May 10, 2013
2.7/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a light amber with perfect clarity and a finger of head that receded quickly. There was a good amount of lacing stuck to the glass.

Smell is malty sweet with a bit of both flowery and citrus aromas. Taste is syrupy sweet with a solid hop bitterness. Not picking up a lot of flavor of the hops in the taste. Slight alcohol taste and burn.

Mouthfeel seemed pretty heavy and sticky, but you'd expect that with this much sweetness.

I don't know, maybe I just got an old bottle. Hey Laughing Dog, start dating your 22s! Based on this tasting, I'd say this is a malt bomb that needs more balance and complexity.

nandemo1, Sep 14, 2011

infi, Apr 26, 2013

wrightst, Aug 20, 2014

Ryanc23, Oct 17, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -19.5%

Let me start by saying,that I got into the nose on this one and had to look to see if this beer was seasonal.Indeed it was.Spring to be exact and I'm drinking it in September.The only thing is,I think it might be from the spring of '09.I will be doing a follow up review of this beer when I can get a bottle and verify it's freshness.I'm writing this review based solely on the strange experience I had trying one that was obviously out of whack.

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.

A-Pours a rich,hazy rusty orange with a proud,two-finger,tawny head and sudsy rings of lace.

S-Muted citric and flower hops.Bready malts with a definite grain and yeast dominance.Hops are there but weak and strange.Some strange spice notes for a IIPA,almost Orval-like,so out of place but somehow not unpleasant.

T-In some ways,this is drinking like a Belgian pale or Belgian IPA.I know this is not intended but it's happening regardless.Baked spice(some cinnamon/cardamom) and yeast initially with Pale and Caramel malt,honey,artificial citrus flavor and booze.

M-Medium bodied and grainy.No real IIPA oiliness to speak of but a little alcohol burn on the finish.Some alcohol related sweetness.

D-I know that this bottle is not a true representation of this beer but I finished the bomber,so I obviously didn't dislike what I had that much.I'm anxious to try a more viable example.

StlHopHead77, Sep 25, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -19.5%

A: Medium amber with a bit of gold with just off white 2 finger head

S: A bit of alcohol with sweet malt, some hops coming in but not overly strong

T: Alcohol and candied hops. Not overly citrus but present in the finish. Assertive hops, not aggressive. Def some malt sweetness up front

M,D: Not overly drinkable. The alcohol is fairly present. Mouthfeel is fine for IIPA

Not bad but nothing special. Give it a try

Pinto21, Jun 12, 2010
3.08/5  rDev -18.7%

A - Pours a hazy amber with a white one finger head.

S - Sweet and malty... I detect some citrus on the nose.

T - The hops are not the star, although there is some bitterness. It's more of a sweet, honey flavor along with some pine notes. The boozy notes aren't well hidden either.

M - Slightly over-carbonated but still has good mouthfeel.

O - This was a gifted bottle, it could be old but there's no way to tell. If a sweet malty beer is to your liking then this is your beer.

cvm4, Feb 18, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -18.2%

Snagged a bottle...

- Dark caramel color... poured heavily... light head... quickly to a white creamy thin layer....

- Really sweet creamy caramel malt... some floral hops, and fruit. Much too big of a malt profile.... little bit of pine and bitterness.

- Strong creamy caramel malt... way too much sugar, brown sugar, malt... just sweet and thick. Certainly a lot of hops.. pine, bitterness.... floral...

- Chewy... and just too sweet.... sorry!

- Too sweet, and too thick.... not among even my middle 'drinkable' IPA's at all...

(10-06-2009) 4,3.5,2.5,3,2

New review:

Reviewing again... forgot that I had already tried this, and previously gave it a C grade. So I will edit, and see if it has changed over the last year or more.

- Pours a clear copper.. just like a new penny... minimal white head down to a light dusting and a healthy ring of foam.

- Smell is a rather powerful and sweet caramel malt with a touch of brown sugar and some bright citrus hops with a floral nectar as well. Not bad, but the smell isn't overly hoppy as the 7lbs. of hops would lead one to believe.

- A pretty crisp and sweet brew... huge caramel and brown sugar notes in the malt, and a rather nice bitterness that comes through ok. Pine, floral... and a citrus zing... but overall I still think the malt is overpowering... though it compliments the bitterness of the hops. I guess what I am saying, is that it lacks the other hop flavors one would expect from a IIPA.

- Medium to heavy bodied... sweet and syrupy.. a bit chewy and dry.

- Overall it is decent... but it's not a west coast IIPA which are my favorites. They can achieve the strength without being this sweet.

Docer, Oct 06, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -16.9%

Bottle courtesy of pwoody11, thanks again!

Pours a bright orange color, slightly hazy, with a nice white head.

Aromas are kind of funky. Kind of tart citrus, floral, dusty, and pine like. Not bad smelling, but not great either.

Sour and tart up front, bitter oranges, and dusty. Light candied sweetness, subtle creaminess, and a mineral and aspirin like bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is pretty good. Full with good carbonation.

Drinkability is so so. This is a flawed DIPA, it's ok, but the tartness is a bit overdone and overwhelms this beer. A little bit of a let down, I was hoping for better

flexabull, Jan 18, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -16.9%

A- Nice light orange/ gold color with a thick white head and good lacing.

S- Orange peel and caramel. The caramel is quite prominent, almost like a barleywine or even a doppelbock with a lot of hops.

T- The smell carries over into the taste. Candied citrus with lots of caramelly malt. The bitterness is quite prominent on the aftertaste. Very much like a barleywine.

M- Thick and syrupy. The carbonation doesn't quite do enough to balance out the body.

D- Too rich and alcoholic to drink much of. I couldn't really taste the alcohol, but it's clear that there's quite a bit of it after drinking much of this beer.

Another in a long line of barleywine-like DIPAs. While not a bad beer, Devil Dog didn't do a whole lot to distinguish itself from a crowded pack. There are lots more beers that do the job much better than this one.

vtfan77, May 25, 2010