2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

DogZilla Black IPA - Laughing Dog Brewing

DogZilla Black IPADogZilla Black IPA

Laughing Dog Brewing visit their website
Idaho, United States

American Black Ale |  6.90% ABV

True to its IPA roots Dogzilla has a massive hop presence that is Piney and Citrusy. A malty backbone, along with the dark malt gives it a bit of a roasty finish. Brewed with Simcoe and Cascade Hops, Pale Malt, Munich, and Black Barley.

(Beer added by: SurlyDuff on 08-02-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 461 | Reviews: 276 | Show All Ratings:
tbraun1

Maryland

3.09/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

On tap to a tulip glass. Pours deep black with minimal head and lacing. Smell was decent but nothing really popped to me to be honest. Taste was minimally hoppy with a bit of smoke malt. Very drinkable but wish it was a bit more hoppy. Mouthfeel was a bit thin to be honest. Overall it was okay although I probably wouldn't buy it again.

04-10-2014 23:14:37 | More by tbraun1
Bear1964

Nebraska

I was really looking forward to opening this, got to say I'm a little let down by it on a few levels. Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a stemmed glass, wonderful dark brown but with no head...only clear bubbles around the glass. Smell of rum soaked raisins and a faint chemical hint...possibly the sweet smell of anti-freeze (smell NOT taste!) was present. The taste started out bitter and flat...bitter is fine but the flat was like a true old style Porter...this is not a Porter so it didn't settle well, alcohol and some hops bitterness are about the only flavors..mouthfeel is medium but seems to start out thin and then settles medium on the tongue. As a side note as you drink this the hops come out in the aftertaste...I've had a few Black IPA's and this is not among the good ones. Overall I think maybe this might be infected because I've read reviews about massive foam...and some with the clear bubbles that I had...either way it's not what I want in a Black IPA...or any beer for that matter...might try it again if the price is right.

03-30-2014 19:47:09 | More by Bear1964
PorterLambic

2.39/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

When poured mildly down the side of a standing pint glass from a 22oz bottle, I got an explosion of foam, enough to fill the glass with maybe 3-4 oz. of liquid. Two minutes later, after a good portion of the foam had dissipated, I was able to dribble enough in to just exceed halfway.
The color is that of a brown ale, chestnut with a light tan head. Not exactly the black promised but nice. Scattered lace remains.
Smell is .... interesting. Some malt, a wee sampling of hops, a touch of nut and an over-riding smell of industrial floor wax stripper. It isn't off-putting, but it is the prevalent smell. Additionally, there is nothing to indicate that this is the IPA the label states.
Taste is malt, hops, fresh oak and some bitter grapefruit rind. Balance is decent but again, nothing to indicate this is an IPA.
Medium bodied and, strange considering the pouring explosion, not overly carbonated, just medium for the style. All told, it isn't a drain pour, but the thought did cross my mind. Here's hoping it's just a bad bottle, but I doubt I'll have this one again.

12-17-2013 23:52:54 | More by PorterLambic
pkalix

3.78/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

popped the cap and it began rising.... dark amber liquid, tan foam, lots of stickiness on the side. serious hop aroma, serious hop taste. malts take a backseat on this one... 2nd pour is just as foamy, I swear I didn't shake this up.... surprised at the low reviews ahead of me. cant see it being less than a 3, but then we each have our opinions.
an interesting brew, and decent as far as i'm concerned, but finishes a bit thin... overall, not bad. I like the color, I like the appearance; i'm not a huge hops guy, but this is okay. I like it. not a pliny, for certain, but decent. again, i'm surprised at the low scores ahead of me... and for the guy ahead of me, no, it's NOT a stout.
each successive pour is hugely volatile (just like others have stated). infected? maybe. but it certainly does not deserve the scores I saw from previous reviewers....

afterthought: bubble gum flavor is reminiscent of a good Belgian...

2nd afterthought: this just may be infected. extremely volatile... but nice head!! wish I could get some head this good!!

12-01-2013 02:00:39 | More by pkalix
Murrhey

Montana

2.99/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from a standard pressure-cap bomber into a pint glass in high elevation Kalispell, Mont. Reviewed live.

A- No head. Just some clear bubbles. Black body with no opacity.

S- Earthy hops and dark malts. Chocolate.

T- Chocolate sort of flavor, earthy hops. Muted flavors.

M- Thick bodied and dry.

O- Not a great beer.

11-08-2013 03:54:49 | More by Murrhey
GiveMeBeerToDrink

2.04/5  rDev -39.5%

I saw this at Total Wine with a price label that had a beer advocate rating of "93" printed on it, so I decided to give this beer a try. When I tasted this beer I was shocked that it received such a high score, and after checking online I knew I made a huge mistake.

The beer looks like coca-cola without the fizz. It smells of chocolate (which isn't a bad thing, but not really my thing). But the taste. Oh god the taste. It doesn't work. The chocolate stout notes don't mesh well with the light citrus/pine notes. It's not a terrible beer, but it's not a good beer either.

09-14-2013 05:39:10 | More by GiveMeBeerToDrink
BabaYagaRIS

Washington

2.46/5  rDev -27%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.5

licorice chocolate

chocolate stout

First and foremost, we don't appreciate the misconception that this is not a stout. It has stout all throughout and will frustrate even the most ignorant beer drinker. Some dude in Idaho though he could sell more beer if he plugged it as an IPA and here we are.

The appearance is fine, but for a stout this beer had more head than a bald chick participating in a windsurfer contest or a fat white chick at a biker convention.

It's a black swan in a white goose world and this bird is flying like a peacock but without the colors.

Save the trickery for your Idaho friends, it does not fly here as an IPA.

Very open to hearing feedback on what components of this beer result in it being called an IPA.

The rest was used to cook food. I expect way more from Laughing Dog than laughs at this attempt at mockery.

09-01-2013 03:15:06 | More by BabaYagaRIS
Omnium

3.21/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Bomber > Sensory Pils glass

A - Pours a brown color with a huge amount of head, almost half the glass. Big off white lacing. Not really looking like a good black IPA
S - Weird smell, lots of darker kinda dried fruit aroma, biscuity malt, bacon grease? drain-o , resinous hops. Huge turn off from the start.
T - Follows suit from the aroma, big malty sweetness, mild dank hop bite in the middle, acrid bitterness on the end.
M - Horrid aftertaste.
O - I cannot believe how bad this is, the smell and taste is so far off-target from where it should be. I dont know where these weird flavors come from, but Laughing Dog, do yourself a favor and dump this recipe down the drain with the rest of this beer.

08-26-2013 22:30:19 | More by Omnium
JuicesFlowing

Kansas

4.09/5  rDev +21.4%

Poured into a balloon glass.

Look: Ruby chocolate. Creamy foamy mocha head that doesn't recede. Thick foamy lacing.

Aroma: Raosted malts, piny hops, sweet fruits.

Taste: Sweetness of apricots mends with piny, bitter hops. Faint charred grains.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, sharp.

Overall: Delicuous, very sharp on the palate but nice flavors and balance.

06-30-2013 15:02:40 | More by JuicesFlowing
mammal33

Georgia

1.4/5  rDev -58.5%

First review...

...and first beer I've drain poured after one sip. Beer had to be infected or something...as soon as I popped the top of the bomber, she foamed over. It had a crazy smell that I couldn't work out, and the taste followed. Seems like others had the same experience. Bummer cause the craft beer dude at my local had tagged it in the shop as one of his favorites. Hmmmm...

Will try again, hope to have better results next time.

06-08-2013 21:06:35 | More by mammal33
TheSixthRing

Appearance - Poured about 4 ounces and immediately got 4 fingers of head.

Smell - Sour and citrus.

Taste - Taste comes across with some dark roasted malt, mild cocoa, and a lot of sourness on the back end.

Mouthfeel - Light in body with out of control carbonation, likely due to it being infected.

Overall - Yeah, a completely and unquestionable infected bottle. A certain candidate for a future re-review, but I have to admit I sort of enjoy this. Can a Belgian Black IPA be that far off? Are they already being made?

05-27-2013 06:16:21 | More by TheSixthRing
WVbeergeek

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 ounce bottle killer label of the Dogzilla attacking the town, simcoe and cascade in a black IPA from Idaho man are we getting progressive, did I mention I purchased this in West Virginia, holy shit what's going on? The body is pitch Black with a light beige head almost white, I've never seen a head this light in a beer this dark. Aromatics are giving off citrus and spicy notes almost a cinnamon like character if I had to describe it any further. The first sips carries that black roast blended with high alpha acid hops rather nicely, drinks like a highly carbonated schwarzbier with more hop pellet kick than most of them out there, the spicy characteristic is nice and would blend great with the Kristoff Sumatran wrapped cigar I'm about to light up. Light dark chocolate herbal mint, spicy hops, mild citrus twang but really ends up as a nice spicy schwarzbier more than a black IPA. Mouthfeel is medium at best with ample flowing carbonation a layer of spice and hop bitterness is left on the palate between sips. Overall a beer that I will drink sparingly not the one I wanted compared to other big dark beers out there, I'm glad the alcohol is not over the top it's well hidden and barely a factor in this big beast of a 22 ounce beer.

05-14-2013 22:29:56 | More by WVbeergeek
TMoney2591

2.8/5  rDev -16.9%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Oh, no, they say he's got to go... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear midnight garnet topped by over a finger of wan off-cream foam. The nose comprises roasted malts, anise, pine needles, spearmint, and cinnamon. Odd as it may sound, this thing smells like certain Christmas cookies I've had in my day, almost like a gingerbread man with peppermint buttons who happened to have been left on the baking pan a bit too long, blackening the backside a bit. Here, it's not quite what I'm looking for, and luckily not entirely offensive, especially considering that the mint gets stronger as time progresses. The taste brings in more of the same, though that minty character is now nearly absent until the finish, the roast is darker and more bitter, and the pine asserts itself a great deal more. Unfortunately, everything is in competition with everything else, precluding any chance of flavor harmony. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a fairly smooth feel, and a drying finish. Overall, this black IPA just didn't sit right with me, what with the chaotic nature of the flavors.

05-10-2013 00:45:58 | More by TMoney2591
Scotchboy

Idaho

3.65/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap @ Brewforia Eagle ID - served in a shaped nonic.

A: Dark brown color with translucent cola-colored edges...minimal tan head & lacing.

S: Toasted dark malt with a piney and herbal hop edge...zesty and a bit astringent with some resin and grapefruit pith. Hints of brown malt in the nose too? Maybe a touch of nut and caramel.

T: Hops steer the same direction; pine, resin, grapefruit, herbal...malt moves from dark caramel to espresso-like dryness with notes of fresh coffee. Blends well together.

MF: Moderate, nearly medium, decent carbonation and dry-er finish.

O: Decent Black IPA, definitely piney on the hops, with a decent dark coffee/caramel malt backbone. Neither quality overwhelms. Not a Black IPA I'd choose to revisit but it is relatively good.

04-09-2013 21:23:04 | More by Scotchboy
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

3.79/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanx Damian74Shensky:

Into a nonic:

A: dark brown body almost black with a thick super foamy two finger head with a heck of a lot of lacing left in the wake

S: slight citrus/pine up front coming through in an earthy/roasty sort of way

T: bittersweet through previously mentioned flavors, a bit of light coffee comes through in the aftertaste

M: light to medium, fairly sessionable, adequate carbonation is felt, dry finish

O: I'd say this is a good American Black Ale that I would come back to.

04-04-2013 15:54:52 | More by BeerKangaroo
brandonlovesbeer

South Carolina

1.95/5  rDev -42.1%

Two thumps way down on this. Way to astringent. It could possibly have been a bad batch. I don’t know. But I don’t plan to give them another chance. And if this is any indication of how the rest of their beers are, then I don’t plan to try any of their other beers anytime soon.

$5.00 for a 22oz bomber.

Look:
It had a large khaki colored head, even with a light careful pour, a light 2 inch head formed. It stuck around and was almost the consistency of a meringue. The beer is black as night.

Aroma:
There’s not much in the way of a hop aroma, there’s just an astringent smell from the dark malts. It smells like a lot of tannin extraction happened during the brewing process.

Taste: The tannin extraction came through in the taste as a really strong astringency. There’s a pronounced bitterness that lingers after each sip. This is more of an astringent dark malt bitterness, than a hop bitterness. There’s a light hoppy taste It’s almost an accidental afterthought rather than intentional hop addition though. But either way, there’s no specific hop flavors or aromas to speak of, just a generic light hoppiness.

Mouthfeel:
The one redeeming quality of the beer (other than the appearance) was the mouthfeel. It was very creamy.

Is it Worth the Money?"
This is a 22oz bottle of beer and I paid $4.99 plus tax. Honestly, to put it into perspective, my local brew pub brews a beer nearly identical, in flavor and color to this. I was able to fill a half gallon grower for $9.00. About 2 years ago, I brewed a beer that taste nearly identical to this. That only cost $10 in ingredients to brew a 5 gallon batch.

So I ask again. Is It Worth The Money? "NO"

Verdict: "C"
When I bought this bottle, I thought it was going to be this massively hopped, dark IPA, which is one my favorite styles of beer. Unfortunately it turned out to be a rather difficult beer to drink.

There was just way to much astringency. And the fact that it’s supposed to be an IPA, really left me disappointed, as there was almost zero hop character in this beer.

It has this flavor that usually comes during home brewing, when you steep your dark grains to hot... Actually a better descriptor would be... take your dark grains, throw them into a pot, add some water, then boil the heck our of them for abut 15 minutes. Strain the grain, add the liquid to the brew pot. There’s no sugar extraction. It’s just boiled dark grains. That’s the flavor that I’m getting from this beer. To top the whole thing off, the lack of hop... well... anything was a big disappointment considering that it was supposed to be an IPA

It’s got some flavors but most of them are undesirable flavors. If you want to try it, then try it, but it probably won’t be a beer that you try twice.

02-22-2013 04:27:13 | More by brandonlovesbeer
AlCaponeJunior

3.39/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Good looking, tho not quite black. it's a brownish-red color, mostly clear, with a monster head that just won't go away and tremendous lacing.

Aroma is a bit muted, kinda citrusy and piney with just a touch of earth.

Flavor is good but not outstanding. There's a notable roasty character that doesn't dominate, but complements. Piney and citrusy hops are pretty forward and tasty. There's a tinge of vanilla too.

Body is pretty well carbonated and medium, pretty drinkable really.

Overall it's ok but not outstanding.

02-07-2013 21:27:00 | More by AlCaponeJunior
GalaxyCruiser99

2.19/5  rDev -35%

Bought this at my local craft beer store.

A: Looked great...and was at a great price of 3.99. Was a cloudy amber color with a thick head.

S: Smelled of a sour home brew and extremely bitter.

T: Drinkable but would not buy again, tasted bitter with slight citrus notes more malty than hoppy. Tasted like my first failed home brew...strange.

M: Very little carbonation in the bottle I bought, which tasted off, but might explain the cheap sale price I paid. My bottle was from 5/11/12.

O: I've had other Laughing Dog beers I loved but this black IPA tasted strange and off. I would try again only if bottled fresh or from a tap.

01-25-2013 02:36:28 | More by GalaxyCruiser99
barter

Arizona

2.39/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Got a bomber on reccomendation of the sales guy at TotalWine.

-Poured in to a borrowed Dragoon Brewery pint glass. Bottle inexplicably foamed over when opened so that my first few swallows were from the bottle to avoid waste, the pour was also very sudsy and despite my best efforts the glass still half head.

-Tastes? Think its easier to say what it is not. It is not hoppy or roast malty or delicious. Don't get me wrong it is entirely drinkable, just not what I look for in a Black IPA.

-Finishing taste is almost like sarasparilla, that with the carbonation adding to the rootbeer experience.

01-25-2013 01:25:43 | More by barter
buschbeer

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

22 ounce bottle
Served in a beer mug

A - It is dark brown and appears to be hazy when held to a light. I notice amber highlights along the edges. This beer produces a tremendous, rocky, tan head. I looks like a root beer float without the ice cream.

S - I get a strong, piercing citrus aroma. The scent of orange seems to stand out. It reminds me of the citrus smell of a cleaning product.

T - I get some elements of a brown ale. Orange forward citrus flavors prevail.

M - Medium

O - It is a flavorful beer, but that citrus and orange presence just reminds me of cleaning products. It is kind of a turn off.

01-24-2013 21:43:59 | More by buschbeer
jmdrpi

2.55/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

22 oz bottle, no date.

not really "black", just darker brown. big off-white head, good retention. aroma is slight roasted malt, mixed with citrus hops. weird combo, ends up with sorta of a lemon scented dish soap smell. as for the taste, the malt base tastes more like a brown ale. the citrusy hop flavors don't mix well. Would have been better off with more earthy varieties of hops. medium thickness, good carbonation level.

overall - unfortunately, misses the mark. disappointing.

01-22-2013 04:27:52 | More by jmdrpi
runbirddrinkbeer

2.44/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Picked this up recently as I had tried several black IPAs during the craze a few years ago and liked them( mostly). Packaging caught my eye also and looked forward to trying this bomber. The beer poured a dark reddish color into a pint glass with a prodigious head of lumpy ochre foam, creating a sticky mess in the kitchen. Aroma of roasty malt and citrus was somewhat promising. The taste was overly bitter even for a west coast ipa,enthusiast. Very hard to finish although it improved as it warmed. Overall not a beer I would recommend.

01-12-2013 01:19:24 | More by runbirddrinkbeer
metter98

3.38/5  rDev +0.3%

A: The beer is clear dark reddish amber in color and has a very light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a two finger high beige head that is fluffy and looks a little like the top of a root beer ice cream float. The retention is rather impressive because it started developing peaks left by a whisk when making fresh whipped cream.
S: There are light to moderate aromas of citrus and pine resin hops along with hints of roasted malts in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell but has slightly more pronounced flavors and some more roasted malts along with a moderate amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and crisp on the palate with a moderate to high amount of carbonation.
O: This beer seems to be overcarbonated and requires a very careful pour. Nothing really stands out to me about the smell or tasted compared to other beers in the style.

11-14-2012 01:15:54 | More by metter98
sweetLew

3.48/5  rDev +3.3%

I endured a cruel joke involving a Widmer Hefe in order to dive in to this one... bottle dated 3/30/12, procured in Portland, delivered to NorCal.

Aggressive pour yields a reasonable, light tan head that fades into a thin but resilient layer, leaving some mercurial lacing on my beer-clean chalice. Not quite black, this dog has a healthy transluscent dark brown coat, with hues of ruby streaking through. The aroma is disappointing, perhaps due to my sample's age, with an understated earthiness of piney hops. Some faint smells of chocolate and vanilla are subtle. The balance of flavor highlights this beer; a nice blend of dank, mature hop bitterness intertwines with toasty flavors of chocolate and dark grain that conjures an image of a dark forest in a light rain. The mouthfeel is light for the style, the finish is bitter but pleasant, and moderate carbonation enhances the focus on the balance of flavors.

All in all, Dogzilla is a worthy journey into the CDA/BIPA style; perhaps not the most assertive example, but sufficiently complex and well-crafted to put a smile on the face of the beer drinker that likes dark, earthy beers. The kind that make us Californians want to move to the Northwest...

09-09-2012 05:33:41 | More by sweetLew
TheRougeBastard

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%

I picked this up based soley on my recently discovered affection for Black IPA's. After reading some of the other reviews I was really apprehensive! I am pleased to report my experience was 100% enjoyable! This brew poured with the expected dark color, and had a pleasent, roasted nut scent. The taste was smooth and went down easy. I would visit this dog-pen again!!!!

09-02-2012 00:56:30 | More by TheRougeBastard