DogZilla Black IPA - Laughing Dog Brewing

Laughing Dog Brewing visit their website
Idaho, United States

American Black Ale |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: SurlyDuff on 08-02-2008

True to its IPA roots Dogzilla has a massive hop presence that is Piney and Citrusy. A malty backbone, along with the dark malt gives it a bit of a roasty finish. Brewed with Simcoe and Cascade Hops, Pale Malt, Munich, and Black Barley.

Ratings: 504 | Reviews: 281
2.56/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

22 oz bottle, no date.

not really "black", just darker brown. big off-white head, good retention. aroma is slight roasted malt, mixed with citrus hops. weird combo, ends up with sorta of a lemon scented dish soap smell. as for the taste, the malt base tastes more like a brown ale. the citrusy hop flavors don't mix well. Would have been better off with more earthy varieties of hops. medium thickness, good carbonation level.

overall - unfortunately, misses the mark. disappointing.

2.52/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Picked this up recently as I had tried several black IPAs during the craze a few years ago and liked them( mostly). Packaging caught my eye also and looked forward to trying this bomber. The beer poured a dark reddish color into a pint glass with a prodigious head of lumpy ochre foam, creating a sticky mess in the kitchen. Aroma of roasty malt and citrus was somewhat promising. The taste was overly bitter even for a west coast ipa,enthusiast. Very hard to finish although it improved as it warmed. Overall not a beer I would recommend.

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%

A: The beer is clear dark reddish amber in color and has a very light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a two finger high beige head that is fluffy and looks a little like the top of a root beer ice cream float. The retention is rather impressive because it started developing peaks left by a whisk when making fresh whipped cream.
S: There are light to moderate aromas of citrus and pine resin hops along with hints of roasted malts in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell but has slightly more pronounced flavors and some more roasted malts along with a moderate amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and crisp on the palate with a moderate to high amount of carbonation.
O: This beer seems to be overcarbonated and requires a very careful pour. Nothing really stands out to me about the smell or tasted compared to other beers in the style.

3.41/5  rDev +1.5%

I endured a cruel joke involving a Widmer Hefe in order to dive in to this one... bottle dated 3/30/12, procured in Portland, delivered to NorCal.

Aggressive pour yields a reasonable, light tan head that fades into a thin but resilient layer, leaving some mercurial lacing on my beer-clean chalice. Not quite black, this dog has a healthy transluscent dark brown coat, with hues of ruby streaking through. The aroma is disappointing, perhaps due to my sample's age, with an understated earthiness of piney hops. Some faint smells of chocolate and vanilla are subtle. The balance of flavor highlights this beer; a nice blend of dank, mature hop bitterness intertwines with toasty flavors of chocolate and dark grain that conjures an image of a dark forest in a light rain. The mouthfeel is light for the style, the finish is bitter but pleasant, and moderate carbonation enhances the focus on the balance of flavors.

All in all, Dogzilla is a worthy journey into the CDA/BIPA style; perhaps not the most assertive example, but sufficiently complex and well-crafted to put a smile on the face of the beer drinker that likes dark, earthy beers. The kind that make us Californians want to move to the Northwest...

3.52/5  rDev +4.8%

I picked this up based soley on my recently discovered affection for Black IPA's. After reading some of the other reviews I was really apprehensive! I am pleased to report my experience was 100% enjoyable! This brew poured with the expected dark color, and had a pleasent, roasted nut scent. The taste was smooth and went down easy. I would visit this dog-pen again!!!!

3.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Initial pour was super heady, but it calmed down. Head was light tan with an uber black body floating underneath.

The smell has the base of a great Black IPA. Kind of reminds of me Hoppin Frog Hop Heathen: Huge roast with resinous hops just taking over completely. Pine coming in with a bit of slick orange.

The taste is better than average for sure. Loads of dry roasted malt. The hops have a great aroma and slick feeling. The dark chocolate works pretty well with the slick citrus fruits. Theres just enough punch from the hops. the bitterness from the malt just gets compounded by the bitter hop extract oils.

1.74/5  rDev -48.2%

22 oz. bottle to a pint glass. I was really excited to try this one because of the spiffy name and awesome artwork. Honestly, I should've just taken a picture of the bottle, because it was all downhill once I opened it. First of all, the head was HUGE! It would almost be more appropriate to measure it in hands instead of fingers. The color was almost jet black and the smell was floral and hoppy, but smelled oddly dank (for lack of a better term). The taste was NOT GOOD. Burnt, but not roasty like you expect from dark malts, and although it smelled floral, it tasted really bitter (not floral) and finished even worse. Also, it was too dry and reminded me of a really cheap cabernet. Stay away, there are better BIPAs out there.

1.24/5  rDev -63.1%

Hands down, this is the worst beer I have ever tasted. I should qualify this statement by admitting that this is my first black IPA and it is possible that I simply don't enjoy the style and/or I had a bad bottle. Regardless, this was a bad experience for me.

This beer is way over-carbonated. I couldn't drink it out of a glass because the enormous head never settled. I had to drink most of it from the bottle. The carbonation hit my mouth like an explosion and was not pleasant. But this wasn't the worst part of the beer. The beer finishes with an awful, medicinal taste that lingers in the mouth. The nauseating taste stayed with me long after I drank the beer. I definitely won't drink this beer again!

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark dark brown, almost black untill pressed against the light. Off-white head real f'n thick almost like some belgian beers rising to well over an inch and that's with a gentle pour.

Smell: Smells good then it doesn't, strong lemon skin but smells little spoiled.

Taste: Complex not in a good way, sour and bitter I really dont understand where the IPA comes in this.

Mouth: LIttle sticky, Thank you for the effort.

Overall: Laughing dog brewery if you read this retire this beer, you and I both know you have come out with much better than this. Still you can give it a try might be worth your while, definitely not mine...Salud!

4.38/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow. I might be in the minority on this, but...this is actually quite good in my book, as far as a Black Ale goes. Black ales before have not been good in my book, and I've usually ended up hating them. But this one is pretty solid. A really nice roasty malt backbone, with citrus and pine hop flavors popping in to break it up. The mouthfeel is pretty clean comparably to others I've had, which had a bit too much sediment.

So on the whole, I'd say its worth a shot.

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured into a giant seidel. A big two fingers of foamy, light tan head on top of a dark brown body.

The smell is perplexing. Rich roasted malt smell and then citrus, sharp lemon.

It first tastes like banana, then lemon, wheat bread, finishes with a sharp grapefruit.

Soft texture, creamy but with a sharpness to it. Medium to heavy body, moderate carbonation.

I liked it, but it was unbalanced and took me for a ride, which is fun too.

3.88/5  rDev +15.5%

This beer pour a dark brown color with a trace of tan head. The aroma is very strong with grapefruit hoppiness. The taste starts with that strong fruity and citrusy hops and then donates with some malty sweetness. The overall taste impression is very sweet. The mouthfeel is a bit harsh and overcarbonated. Overall though a very interesting beer and definitely worth a try.

4.03/5  rDev +19.9%

Glass - Tulip

A - A mahogany colored brew with a redish hue to it. It produced a 2-finger head that looks dense and creamy. The head seems to hold well, and I got some nice lacing.

S - Upfront I pick up a big citrus character in the way of lemon and grapefruit rinds. Underneath the fresh citrus hop characteristics I pick up mild leafy hop notes and licorice. As it warmed I got a touch of brown sugar and papaya.

T - Upfront I get semi sweet tasting malts with flavors of caramel, molasses, brown sugar and nuts. As it rolled to the sides of my tongue I picked up a softer than expected lemon rind note and lots of herbal hop characteristics. I also pick up licorice and subtle papaya that sneaks in here and there. It finishes semi dry with moderate bitterness.

M - A lite bodied brew with a moderate-high crisp feel to it.

O - While I'd probably drink more of Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous, I think this is a an easier drinking alternative due to the fact that's it's far less sweet, has a thinner body, and more bright hop characteristics. So overall I think this is a pretty good Black IPA. Cheers!

glass: Tulip

Very dark brown color but not as dark as, say, the Sublimely Self-Righteous. Dense, fluffy 1-finger head with thick lacing. Primarily hop-forward on the nose. semi-dry and lemon-like but by no means a "hop bomb". Rich dark malts give it an interesting overall aroma.

The taste is has the distinct flavors of pine, bark, lemon, raw cocoa beans with a punch of sharp bitterness at the end. It's simple yet complex. The body is medium-full but feels light in the mouth. Not too bad, a no fuss BIPA.

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a dark brown color and a murky consistency. There was a huge, tan-colored, long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: A very hoppy aroma, more than I expected, with some citrus as well.

T: Tasted of hops (a decent amount), malt, citrus, pine, and a hint of coffee. The flavor wasn't as heavy on coffee or chocolate as other ABAs. Not a bad flavor, but a little out of whack.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a crisp, clean finish. Medium-bodied.

O: Not a bad beer, but it doesn't necessarily measure up to other beers of the style.

3.49/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into an Imperial pint glass

A - Giant, rocky dense caramel head larger than the standard 2 fingers. Dark colored but to the light it is brown and somewhat hazy and transparent. The head never dies down staying thick atop this beer.+++ Tons of thick lacing all the way down.

S - Citrusy hops are right up front accompanied by a helping of silky dark malts. The dark malts don't smell roasty but more dark chocolate like.

T - Nice and clean citrus hop flavors but also chocolaty/coffee throughout. Again, all the dark malts are clean and never astringent. The balance of hops to malt is very cohesive but I usually prefer this style more hop forward.

M - Light to medium body with moderate carbonation. Dry, crisp, refreshing.

O - I liked the citrus hops used but found all the dark malts of be a little to much for this style in my opinion, however, they did work well for this beer. I could have used more hops in its flavor and smell but thought this was still worth the $5.59 I paid for the 22oz.

3.42/5  rDev +1.8%

A: Poured from the bomber into a pint glass. Body is more brown than black - with a slight reddish color to it. HUGE head on the first pour - more than 50% of the glass was khaki-colored foam, which took awhile to recede to a meringue-like foam. . . which left thick rings of lace. Particulate in suspension in last pour.

S: Piney hops, roasted barley malt. Quite roasty. Something slightly off, like burnt grain.

T: First impression: roasty. Reminds me more of a porter than a Black IPA in many ways. Piney, grassy hops at the finish fight with the bitter roast.

M: Carbonation was too much.

O: OK. Becomes more bitter on the last pour. Grassy, pine needle-like bitterness over roast. Not juicy or containing the chocolate malt sweetness that I like for this style.

3.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Not so much black, but deep reddish brown, like a brown ale. Pleasant cascadey aroma. Heavy carbonation and bright citrus flavors give this beer an immediate presence. Kind of like a black lager, the dark color is just for show, there's no roastiness or deep malt backbone.

I think this is pretty good. I don't detect any of the defects other reviewers have cited.

22oz bottle.

2.95/5  rDev -12.2%

Picked up this bottle at Casanova's, mostly for the cool name: DogZilla. Laughing Dog from Idaho is new to me as well, so an easy one to take home.

Head is the color of a malted milk ball center that bubbles up unevenly. Per the label, there's a clear northwest hop aroma that's not complex and over a light roast malt that's hard to discern. In spite of the 6.9% size, the body is extremely light and watery. Roasted malt is stronger than the nose. Hop bite is assertive, grassy flavor. Overall flavor is off centered and weak.

A disappointing but perfectly adequate bottle--expecting more from a Godzilla reference beer. Not big enough to fill those shoes.

2.2/5  rDev -34.5%

I will admit that I am a fan of the style and was hoping this was good.

Appearance - Best part of the brew. Just about black color with plenty of head that receded fairly quickly given its size. Left picturesque lacing down the glass.

Aroma - Weak...faint smell of roasty malts and hops. Yeasty funkyness I would expect from a Belgian. Not quite Brettanomyces levels, but an aroma I am very sensitive to, as I find it very off putting.

Taste - No real flavor...some bitterness, pepper and earthy notes from the hops. No malt presence. Luckily only a little of that funky character...maybe that is just the smell getting closer to my nose.

Mouthfeel - Quite thin. This is not a light beer or a particularly light style. Thin feel is a bit puzzling.

Overall - Not very good. I drain poured this one, its not worth the calories.

3.43/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Chestnut colored ale with tall rocky and persistent head. Aroma is moderately malty, toasted - caramel, moderate citrusy hops, moderate to heavy bready notes and strangely enough some yeast. Flavor is moderately sweet and moderately hoppy, long bitter finish. Body is thin, texture is watery, soft carbonation. Not bad.

2.81/5  rDev -16.4%

A - Pours with two fingers of off white head on an opaque, dark brown body. The foam settles fairly quickly and leaves average lace.

S - Some dark malt, pine, and a medicinal sour cherry thing.

T - Pepper, cherry, and caramel malt up front. Some smoky cherry in the middle. Finishes with a hint if herbal hops, char, and strong bitterness.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - Not very good, it is lacking in hop character and there is a medicinal character that us really off putting. I an almost inclined to think it is infected, but based on other reviews it seems that this beer just tastes kind of off.

3.65/5  rDev +8.6%

sour in the mouth with a woody taste, not oak, not piney, reminds me more of acorns. Very tannicky, though not oakey,

Has a nice fat head that goes down slow.

Like the dyslexic parody of god zilla..

Got mine in ashland wi at a liquor store.

My first dark ipa.

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

22oz bomber bottle. No bottle dating information, which is a problem with this brewery from memory (Sneaky Pete). Poured into a Victory snifter.

A: Pours a dark brown with a crazy high four finger tight bubbled light tan head. Very fluffy head. Lots of sticking lacing.

S: Pine and almost sour smells to it. I don't get much chocolate malt or coffee. I also don't get the BIG hops that I was told this one has.

T: Really nice sip actually. I get that pine note that I smelled. And then the chocolate and a touch of coffee. The close is nice and not too bitter.

M: Medium bodied.

2.59/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Dark swamp-water appearance with a gushing thick head. It almost overflowed immediately upon pouring. The head seemed to never dissipate.

The smell was strong and lingering, almost sour. Not exactly pleasant. You could practically taste the beer by smelling it.

The taste was something like smashing your tongue with a hop hammer. Fairly bitter, with a citrus tinge.

It was unlike any of the other american black ales that I have tried, and it just wasn't for me. If you are looking for a beer that nearly defies category, this is it.

DogZilla Black IPA from Laughing Dog Brewing